This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fluttering/twitching In Lower Abdomen

Victoria6102

Bellabee Newbie

Too add... I looked up this information because I’ve been feeling that fluttery sensation in n off for a week. However last nite I was very sick with gas and intergestion. Woke up and without being gross everything made a violent exit. So... maybe it is the colon spasming. But there still is that blood line that goes straight down past the naval to low abdomen. I’ll know if it’s time to get seen if in a cpl days it doesn’t stop. But yes.. very strange feeling”

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

after the e.r. trip and follow up with my g.i., (ct scan at hospital) docs have determined that I have spasms.  everything squinches up and doesn't allow anything to pass, even gas <which is painful !)  it will also make me nauseas and I can't eat anything.  they gave me dicyclomine and it works great - it's an anti-spasm drug (but I can't take it all the time bc it makes me sleepy) then i'm down for the rest of the day.  in the mean time, my doc says, your body tries to soften everything up to 'grease' things along - you're not gross, lolz - that's why it's such a violent mess when everything starts moving.

the next day, I am eating everything in sight.  except gluten lolz, but I am crazy hungry, so it doesn't affect anything once everything starts working correctly again.  I was super panicked when this kept happening until I found out for sure what it was.  now, I just take my 'dicy' and take a nap.  also, it is suspiciously happening when I have eaten something from a restaurant, so it might be caused by cc for me.  this also happens to my daughter and brother, both celiac, and they also take the anti-spasm med.

if you are alarmed, please get checked out.  I was seriously thinking I had a stricture or blockage or ya know, cancer <it's always cancer, dr. google!!!  hahaha)   but  getting it checked put my mind at ease.  good luck :)

• 1 month later...
WheatlessAdventures Newbie

I just signed up for this forum, so please excuse the late response. 

My wife actually had this same exact thing for a while - I even saw the twitching. She was initially going gluten-free with me out of support and we discovered she was really low on vitamins because of it (mostly magnesium and potassium). She has since started eating gluten again when out of the house, but started taking a multi-vitamin and eating bananas (high in potassium) and the muscle twitches have since stopped. I hope you figured yours out!

• 3 weeks later...
D. J. Casey Newbie

I got up at 5:30 am to search for information about this weird feeling I am having in my lower right abdomen. All the descriptions I have read are similar to what I am experiencing. However, this has now lasted since about 9 pm last night! I have slept about 1 hour, intermittently, since going to bed about midnight. There is no pain, just this feeling like something moving in my intestine or uterus. I first experienced the feeling about 3 months ago, but only for a couple of hours off and on. This past Sunday the feeling came back for the most of the day then went away. It came back last night and has not stopped.

I have considered a possible parasitic infection as one person mentioned. If it persists through today I will get an appointment with my doctor.

I was glad to find that it is something others have and are experiencing to help me know that I am not crazy. The descriptions I had written down to take to the doctor were 1) gentle grinding, 2) whirring feeling, and 3) small spasms.  I cannot feel anything when I touch my abdomen. Everything is internal.

Ttibbs Newbie
On 7/16/2019 at 2:58 PM, WheatlessAdventures said:

I just signed up for this forum, so please excuse the late response. 

My wife actually had this same exact thing for a while - I even saw the twitching. She was initially going gluten-free with me out of support and we discovered she was really low on vitamins because of it (mostly magnesium and potassium). She has since started eating gluten again when out of the house, but started taking a multi-vitamin and eating bananas (high in potassium) and the muscle twitches have since stopped. I hope you figured yours out!

Hi!! I too have had this sensation on and off for about two weeks. It’s not a pain but like a slight pulling behind my belly button and does slightly move to the right.  I have had it knot up and relax like a spasm a few times too.  I am also magnesium and potassium sufficient and reading on here makes me think I am low again with my supplementing. I also have moderate to severe anxiety. Any other comments would be appreciated thanks!!!

Edited by Ttibbs
  • 1 month later...
Ashshort Newbie

It's trapped gas more than likely or irritable bowels. Maybe parasites but doubtful. It happens to me when I eat or drink dairy. Sometimes after a regular meal also. When I seen the Dr she said this to me so I wouldn't worry too much. She suggested vitamins and a balanced diet.  Hope this helps. No you're not crazy lol

• 3 weeks later...
kabons Apprentice

Yup! I had that for a few months a few years ago. It was very strange. Painless, uncontrollable, and sometimes pretty violent twitching! Really bothers me that we have no idea what it is.

These are not to be confused with intestinal spasms that ARE super painful. I got those a few months ago when I had some form of stomach flu. When you already have digestive issues, beware of the stomach flu/food poisoning! That one put me in the hospital with level 10 pain. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 2 weeks later...
JL Riddle Newbie
On 5/17/2012 at 9:21 AM, Mnicole1981 said:

I thought it was in my uterus. So I am not the only person who had that! Good to know I am not crazy!

I started feeling a fluttering feeling in my lower abdomen last week. It happens frequently and reminded me of the early stages of being kicked by a baby! No pain just a fluttering that I can feel and see! I thought it might have to do with stress but I usually handle stress well. It’s been off and on all day and night! Doesn’t anyone have a reliable diagnosis without it being labeled IBS?

• 5 weeks later...
Fleximus Newbie

So funny so many are experiencing what I am. Past month or so here and there my lower abdomen towards the v area on the right side spasms. No pain but feels and looks weird. 

I do have issues with self diagnosed ibs at times but as most of the time I have it under control. Last night I ate some thingi normally don't and have lots of gas today and it's fluttering like crazy. So weird. If it continues I'll see a doctor but it freaks me out. I am a 36 year old male and makes me think I'm getting old or something lol. 

• 3 weeks later...
Maryb78 Newbie

Omg I’m glad I’m not the only one! I can feel a thumping in my lower stomach almost like a baby kicking. It’s happened 2 days in a row now. The thought of it being gas has went through my mind but I’ve never had gas like this so it has made my mind wonder. What makes it even funnier is I know I can’t be pregnant because I’ve had a full hysterectomy lol.

Dina daugherty Newbie

Hello just seen all of these post yall I thought I was going crazy about to have a panic attack. Haha I thought something was bad wrong with me. I been feeling this the past 45 minutes and it was scarying me so bad. I realy hope it's not anything really. I do eat alot of greasy foods and smoke so maybe that could be it. But does anyone know if its life threatening? Let me know. Thanks yall

Scott Adams Grand Master

I doubt it but do let us know how you’re  doing! Definitely talk to you doctor if your symptoms persist.

• 1 month later...
Shoto Newbie

I’ve had these same spasm/twitch for like 6 weeks now .. seems to be not as frequent Lately ..seems when stomach full ..left side just above belly button and a burning sensation in right side now and again .  Dr First thought an strain ..then Had 2 ultrasounds nothing found ..., thought hernia...X-ray showed  constipation ..going down this path now ..been like 4 days on laxative ..seems to have helped somewhat but still get the twitch/spasm ..just not as frequent ..gas pill seems to help..back to dr this week .. seems gastro related I think .. ..hopefully get to the bottom of it! And it goes away soon! 

• 2 weeks later...
Lanall Newbie

"Myokymia" -The muscle "fluttering" -feeling that feels just like when pregnant and baby is moving around, kicking and is painless sensation. No, you don't have an alien moving around in your body!- or "quivering"  is called "Myokymia- Myokymia is an involuntary, spontaneous, localized quivering of a few muscles, or bundles within a muscle, but which are insufficient to move a joint. One type is superior oblique myokymia."

Myokymia

Myokymia is the continuous undulation of a group of muscle fibers caused by the successive spontaneous contraction of motor units.

Myokymia and synkinesis

Myokymia is a fine persistent quivering or rippling of muscles (sometimes called live flesh by patients). The term has evolved since first used (Schultze, 1895), when it described benign fasciculations. Although some may still refer to the benign fasciculations that frequently occur in orbicularis oculi as myokymia, .

Pretty wild feeling though huh!?!! :o)

• 1 month later...
Coop Newbie

Hi there. I had this for more than 4 years......it started with a very bad cramp only on the right hand side of my stomach almost in the middle about 3 inches down from where the ribs meet in the middle and 1 or 2 inches to the right. When this happens a lump starts to stick out and I have to stretch  my right arm Up high and bend back so this lump goes back in. Sometimes my son has to push this lump with his hand so it goes back in again,very painful and scary cramp type pain. I’ve been to many doctors and had tests for hernia,because that’s the first thing I thought it was but have been told it’s not!  The last few months I now have a continuous twitch in and around the same spot as if it’s about to cramp but doesn’t. Also this twitch seems to be happening from the spot I get the cramps but also it goes maybe 6 inches down. The twitching is happening all the time now,constantly. The cramps come and go but  takes a lot of strength and fitness to control,because you really have to battle with it to get it (the lump that pushes out of my stomach) to go back in again. I think if I was older and weaker I wouldn’t be able to do this and I’m not sure what would happen if I couldn’t get it to go back in again. Pfffff hard to explain ?

GFinDC Veteran
54 minutes ago, Coop said:

Hi there. I had this for more than 4 years......it started with a very bad cramp only on the right hand side of my stomach almost in the middle about 3 inches down from where the ribs meet in the middle and 1 or 2 inches to the right. When this happens a lump starts to stick out and I have to stretch  my right arm Up high and bend back so this lump goes back in. Sometimes my son has to push this lump with his hand so it goes back in again,very painful and scary cramp type pain. I’ve been to many doctors and had tests for hernia,because that’s the first thing I thought it was but have been told it’s not!  The last few months I now have a continuous twitch in and around the same spot as if it’s about to cramp but doesn’t. Also this twitch seems to be happening from the spot I get the cramps but also it goes maybe 6 inches down. The twitching is happening all the time now,constantly. The cramps come and go but  takes a lot of strength and fitness to control,because you really have to battle with it to get it (the lump that pushes out of my stomach) to go back in again. I think if I was older and weaker I wouldn’t be able to do this and I’m not sure what would happen if I couldn’t get it to go back in again. Pfffff hard to explain ?

Have you seen the movie "Alien" ? :)

So, seriously, are you gluten-free and following the diet because you have celiac disease?

Coop Newbie

No I’m not gluten free,please explain what this disease is. Thank you for your time ?

Coop Newbie

Ah ok I’ve just googled it. Thank you for ur help ?????? stay safe and healthy ?

• 3 weeks later...
Crysta77 Newbie

Omg. I am experiencing this as well. I thought I was pregnant too, but it was so wierd. I even get "the flutters" after I sneeze or cough. I guess its just a spasm, but I need it to stop ? 

Coop Newbie
6 hours ago, Crysta77 said:

Omg. I am experiencing this as well. I thought I was pregnant too, but it was so wierd. I even get "the flutters" after I sneeze or cough. I guess its just a spasm, but I need it to stop ? 

Yes I get those flutters too when I sneeze or cough. As if they are about to  spasm into a type of cramp. It’s actually calmed down these last few weeks. But will defo be back. I can’t see a doctor right now because all this virus stuff going about but will get tested once it’s all over, good luck ?

• 1 month later...
Annette Wood Newbie

IMPORTANT: I read this thread a few weeks ago and some folks mentioned the possiblity of parasites causing their twitching/fluttering in lower abdomen.  Because I had read somewhere a couple years ago that parasites can be paralysed and expelled by eating papaya seeds, when my fluttering flared up resently I started chewing up and consuming a heaping tablespoon of papaya seeds everyday for 1 week - the fluttering stopped completely!!!  I continue to eat papaya seeds (and the papaya in my daily fruit salad) because I also read that the seeds are great for general gut health as well.

Coop Newbie

Thank you Annette for your input, I will try this from today 👍