This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Are Your "glutened" Symptoms?

LauraZ

LauraZ Rookie

Over this past summer, both of my daughters and I have discovered we are gluten-intolerant, even though we all test negative for celiac disease. We all express our intolerance a little differently -- I through my skin, my youngest daughter through her energy level, and my oldest daughter through her gut.

Skin and energy level are fairly easy to continue with a regular life, but when my oldest gets "glutened," it will wipe her out for 2-3 days with stomach upset, maybe some diarrhea. We have been pretty good at avoiding everything, but there is an occasional slip-up.

I was wondering how other people react to getting glutened. I know there is probably a wide variety of responses. I'm just curious if the 2-3 day range of being out sick is about average. Also, if your stomach is affected, is there anything you do to help it? We've been using heat and Alka-Seltzer Gold (recommended by a nutritionist), which helps a little.

Thanks!

Laura

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
burdee Enthusiast

We discussed that question at our celiac support group meeting last night! My symptoms of being 'glutened' are both typical and atypical. I get bloating, gas and excruciating abdominal pain which feels like bits of broken glass are stuck in my intestines. I also get extreme fatigue, but that's easier to handle (with rest) than those excruciating pains. I drink very strong herbal peppermint tea to relax the cramping pains, take hot showers directing the water spray on painful area, or walk. My gluten symptoms can last 7-10 days even after the initial contamination. 2-4 hours after I eat anything I feel pain in the damaged areas. Fortunately I have not been 'glutened' for over a year. My most recent contamination was from dairy (I also have casein and soy intolerances) 2 months ago. You might also enjoy reading the topic "100 (or more) things to do when you're glutened".

BURDEE

Drew Newbie
I was wondering how other people react to getting glutened.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi there. This is sort of a fun question to answer since no one else really wants to hear about this stuff haha.

My symtpoms from gluten contamination are: Searing ( burning ) gut pains, sharp twinges in the gut, pain in the joints, back pain, extreme fatigue, sores on my skin ( appearing that day or within 3 days ), grouchiness, D. I am sure I am forgetting some. This misery can last 3 days to a week or so depending on the level of poisoning.

My gluten-free ( diagnosed by Enterolab ) gets migraines, depression, lethargy, and some skin sores as well as D. Symptoms last a duration that is proportionate to the amount of gluten ingested. She has gotten 8+ days of migraines from one incident.

I hope this helps

cornbread Explorer

From the tiniest amount of gluten or casein (I once got glutened after a beer drinker sipped from my wine glass!), I experience the following symptoms that now last about 5 days (used to be 2, then 3...)

- bloating

- acne on face/back/chest

- chronic fatigue (tripping over my feet, dropping things) that no amount of sleep will fix

- severe brain fog (can't hold a conversation, feel like I'm living in a bubble)

- depression

- irritability

- non-stop hunger and cravings for high carb things (as if my body is asking for gluten)

- excema on hands/feet

- waves of nausea

The brain fog/depression/irritability/fatigue lasts for a solid 5 days, the skin conditions take a few weeks to subside fully.

:rolleyes:

If I've had a bigger amount of gluten (ie: not cross-contamination, an actual dish that contained some gluten) then within about 10 mins of eating it my heart will begin racing, I will get severe stomach cramps and back ache, and I will feel like I can't get a full lungful of air, like someone is crushing me in a vice grip! Thankfully these days I only usually get glutened via cross-contamination, which *usually* doesn't trigger the stomach problems. Never the less, I am pretty much useless for those 5 days. Plus I try and stay out of people's way cos I am soooo irritable!! ;):lol:

jenvan Collaborator

constipation, brain fog, severe fatigue, muscle pain --can last for a few days or two weeks, depending...

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I am very sensitive to the smallest amount and I feel it right away.

My reactions usually last 2 weeks but I am usually about 3 weeks to a month before really getting back to 100% again.

The 7th day is usually when I feel the worst..I'm not sure why.

My symptoms are: nausea, anxiety, fatigue, weight loss, irritability, constipation, depression, brain fog..there are some other minor symptoms as well but I think I pretty much covered the main symptoms. Some are usually worse than others.

jerseyangel Proficient

If I accidently ingest gluten,I get frequent (3-4 times a day) D, nausea, bloating ,fatigue and just generally dont feel right for about 5 days. Lately, I'm reacting to corn with bloating and indigestion for 1 day or so. I also react to soy, dairy and legumes--these have become a problen since I've been gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gabby Enthusiast

As soon as I have gluten, my stomach feels like I've eaten an entire horse and I feel extraordinarily full. My stomach starts rumbling and I will feel like I want to jump out of my skin. Within the hour I get a feeling like someone has hit me across the midsection with a big flat metal shovel. Then the cramping begins, followed by bloating, gas, and sharp pains that feel like I'm being stung inside by angry bees. I also get that feeling like there's broken glass pinching me in there.

Over the next few days I get tired, achy, sore throat, headache, really sore hips, and my skin feels like it is really sunburned. I also get some acne on my face. The mix of D and constipation wears me out. I lose my appetite and lose weight. I'm a grouchy grouchy person and I sleep a lot.

It usually takes about 10 days to clear up, but I don't feel like myself for about 3 weeks.

During this time I stay away from dairy products and any sort of stimulants. I usually have very weak tea and eat a very strict and simple diet of a handful of foods that I am SURE are gluten-free (usually baked chicken with a steamed veg).

I allow myself 2 days to feel sorry for myself, and then I do not talk about or complain about it to anyone (except here :)

happygirl Collaborator

My symptoms usually start within about 20-30 min.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

My symptoms usually last from a few days up to 2 weeks. I think it depends on how much gluten I have.

These are my symptoms:

-fluid retention

-fatigue

-depression/crying/irritablity/super overly emotional

-brainfog

-weight loss

-increased food sensitivities/chemicals

-burning/tingling sensations

-muscle/joint pains

-burning or blurry eyes

-headaches

-sometimes I get rashes or skin eruptions

-constipation

frenchiemama Collaborator
Also, if your stomach is affected, is there anything you do to help it? We've been using heat and Alka-Seltzer Gold (recommended by a nutritionist), which helps a little.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Aloe juice. It's gross and snotlike, but damn does it ever work. I can't believe I lived without it for so long.

-headache

-sleepiness

-painful bloating and gas

-sharp stomach pains

-nausea

-diarreah

-extreme moodiness - depression, crabbiness, anxiety

-heartburn

-DH breakouts

-aches and pains

The intersting thing is that I seem to get a different combination of symptoms ever time. It lasts anywhere from 2-3 days to a week or more, but the DH breakouts last much longer (I take medication for that now that keeps it under control).

LauraZ Rookie
Aloe juice. It's gross and snotlike, but damn does it ever work. I can't believe I lived without it for so long.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks so much! I'm going to go get some right now.

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

Carolyn,

I find that Aloe helps to soothe my tummy as well. I've been using George's Always Active Aloe Juice. I find it at the health food store and it tastes and looks like water. What kind do you use? :)

Carolyn,

I find that Aloe helps to soothe my tummy as well. I've been using George's Always Active Aloe Juice. I find it at the health food store and it tastes and looks like water. What kind do you use? :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure of the brand, I'd have to look at the bottle. I only tried it for the first time a couple of days ago, and I was so impressed.

The stuff I have definitely doesn't look or taste like water! It has a really nasty cran-apple flavor to it, and it's thick and slimy with chunks (pulp?) in it. Ew.

Billygoat Apprentice

My fairly immediate (within 30 minutes) symptoms are SEVERE brain fog with auras and headaches, pretty bad lethargy. After a few hours, the brain fog fades, but the headaches and flu-ish symptoms really come into play - the Big D. My skin tingles like I have a fever. Throat hurts, head continues pounding. Next day, the DH starts on my thumbs, forefinger and middle finger on my hands. Not the rest of the fingers. Usually symptoms last 3 - 5 days depending on the severity.

Now that I'm truly gluten-free, I feel like I can "see" my reactions a little better than before.

blondehart Newbie

Within an hour, I get rumbling in my stomach, then the brain fog descends. I get the big D, a sinus-type head ache, my hands & feet get freezing, and my right thigh bone aches. I also get very tired, but can't sleep comfortably. This has been lasting about 2 days....but I've only been gluten free for about 2 mos, so I haven't really felt great yet.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I can usually tell if I've been glutened within a few hours, but sometimes it takes about 12 hours or so. My symptoms are:

brain fog

fatigue

nausea (not always but sometimes)

mild-severe upper abdominal pain

weight loss

diarrhea

chicken pox/mosquito like spots on my skin

heart palpitations (not always but sometimes)

flu-like symptoms

gas

bloating

ianm Apprentice

Extreme brain fog, almost zombie like.

Fatigue

Weight gain and I bloat up like a balloon

Fortunatley it takes a fair amount of gluten to really knock me out. Very small amounts trigger the same symptoms but I can still function just not at %100 efficiancy.

par18 Apprentice

I can't tell you because in the five months I have been on the diet I have not been gluttened 1 time. I hope it never happens again. If it does and I have a reaction I will send in another reply. I will admit I also have eaten no meals out except at a family members house. I am very careful about where I eat and most of my food is naturally gluten free. My symptoms before my diag were a rumbling gut, bloating, diarrhea. Two days into the diet they went away and have not returned.

zebrajeb Newbie

Just found this forum - its great! :D As someone noted, nice to have others who understand!

I was diagnosed with DH almost 3 years ago. Didn't think I had any GI problems related until after I went gluten free. Now, I've found out I do! Gluten pretty much gives me GI pain, d or constipated. Generally last about 24-48 hours. Also get some "blisters" on face, elbows or knees but the GI problems have become more noticeable. Severity depends on how much gluten. Traval a lot so have learned to be careful traveling!

Interestingly enough, my oldest daughter (adult) has had problems for years but doctors could not figure it out. After I was diagnosed, she got test and has celiac disease. After bring gluten free for a year, she says feels best she every has.

John

sillyken Enthusiast

I also get brain fuz. Many of you have said you get stomach rumblings. I have a very loud gut. It's embarassing when you're out in public because it sounds like Mount st Helens is getting ready to... well you know. Does anyone share in this lovely experience.

Ken Ritter

detox Rookie

I find that when i ingest gluten My muscles hurt all over kind of like i have been doing hard exercise for 24 hours straight. The brain fog is the worst part, especially because i am dealing with people all day at work and i have to be relatively sharp. Some days I am just STUPID. Its like i smoked a whole bunch of dope the night before. People have actually suggested that i should lay off the weed. That is by far the worst part for me, because stupid people drive me crazy. I also get itchy raised bumps on my bum and sometimes my back and headaches.

I find also that i react to foods after i am glutened, if i am gluten-free for a while i can drink coffee, but if i drink it shortly after i am glutened i feel strange. Sugary foods also seem to make me feel worse as well.

I made my Girlfriend get me an appointment with a family GP this week because I want to make sure I don't have brain tumor or something else unlikely like that. Seeing as I haven't seen a family doctor in something like 6 years or more. The doctors in the walk in clinics in Edmonton just don't seem to care. Heres a prescription for a painkiller for your sore muscles, thanks for coming out!

Scott

• 3 years later...
kristenmoore Newbie

I am 5 months in to all of this and reading this was like reading about myself - exactly - I really can't believe it. I am so scared to eat out, because it seems like every time I try - I get glutened and it lasts for a solid week - I think the fatigue and brain fog is the worst for me.

From the tiniest amount of gluten or casein (I once got glutened after a beer drinker sipped from my wine glass!), I experience the following symptoms that now last about 5 days (used to be 2, then 3...)

- bloating

- acne on face/back/chest

- chronic fatigue (tripping over my feet, dropping things) that no amount of sleep will fix

- severe brain fog (can't hold a conversation, feel like I'm living in a bubble)

- depression

- irritability

- non-stop hunger and cravings for high carb things (as if my body is asking for gluten)

- excema on hands/feet

- waves of nausea

The brain fog/depression/irritability/fatigue lasts for a solid 5 days, the skin conditions take a few weeks to subside fully.

:rolleyes:

If I've had a bigger amount of gluten (ie: not cross-contamination, an actual dish that contained some gluten) then within about 10 mins of eating it my heart will begin racing, I will get severe stomach cramps and back ache, and I will feel like I can't get a full lungful of air, like someone is crushing me in a vice grip! Thankfully these days I only usually get glutened via cross-contamination, which *usually* doesn't trigger the stomach problems. Never the less, I am pretty much useless for those 5 days. Plus I try and stay out of people's way cos I am soooo irritable!! ;):lol:

mattathayde Apprentice

my main symptom is the lower intestine stuff, diarrhea, bloated, gassy etc, when it gets bad constipated diarrhea (luckily i figured out my main accidental glutenings). the mental/emotional stuff i would get slightly depressed (specifically about being single and feeling slightly alone in general) some times anxiety for no reason, and just feel kind of out of it. it all blended together that i didnt realize how much the gluten caused until i got food poisoning last week and while i had the GI issues mentally i was fine and it was really weird to me

-matt

Archived