#1 ChamomileTea

ChamomileTea

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hello all, 

I would just like to warn everyone to not be lulled by the big "Gluten Free" on the front of the box of Amy's frozen dinners. I was, and spent a day in extreme pain and illness. When I looked at the box to make sure I had not misread it, I found a small allergy warning on the back that stated it was processed in a facility that also processes wheat products.. Due to my reaction, there was obviously cross contamination. I just wanted to try and keep anyone else from going through the pain i did. Thanks :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:00 PM

We all have different degrees of sensitivity for a variety of reasons.  I'm  really sorry that you got sick. :(

I have eaten Amy's frozen meals for many years and they don't seem to bother me.

I assume that you know that the usage of the term "Gluten Free" is strictly voluntary in the US, at this time.  As is the allergin warming.  In listing this information, Amy's gives the customer the option to purchase their product, or not.

Hope your recovery is swift. :) And oh!  I forgot my manners.  WELCOME!

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

That's why I read every ingredients label, every time. I even read the label on both packages when I am buying two of the same item. One might be an older package, and one might be newer. The newer package MIGHT have different ingredients because companies often change ingredients based on price and availability.

Paranoid? You bet! But I don't get glutened by accident anymore. :)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

amy's tastes like crap, anyway.  i tried it right in the beginning (once, and then i read the box!  cc!)  and it was disgusting.....

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:39 PM

amy's tastes like crap, anyway.  i tried it right in the beginning (once, and then i read the box!  cc!)  and it was disgusting.....

:)  could not have said it any better. 

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#6 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

Ohhhh....it's not so bad. :rolleyes:    I mean, what frozen entree is other than what it is.   It's another option for those who work and/or need something fast.

Lisa

#7 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:13 PM

Ohhhh....it's not so bad. :rolleyes:    I mean, what frozen entree is other than what it is.   It's another option for those who work and/or need something fast.

Hmmm...I'll have to buy one for the boys....still can't do anything processed myself - even when at school, jobsite or office for the day. 

We have tried many other Amy's items in the past -- some are hit and some are miss :rolleyes:

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#8 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:21 PM

I have had a couple of Amy's pre gluten-free. I liked a couple and hated a couple.

Glutenfreeda makes yummy frozen burritos.

http://www.glutenfre...izza-wraps.html

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#9 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:29 PM

But...as the OP questioned, did you get sick from eating an Amy's Entree?  Fine dining, it's not.  It's what it is.

Lisa

#10 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:46 PM

But...as the OP questioned, did you get sick from eating an Amy's Entree?  Fine dining, it's not.  It's what it is.

I have had one, maybe 2 since gluten-free and was fine. They are widely available, so if you are traveling, they work well. We were supposed to have a hotel with a full kitchen once. We got there and they had sold the place and it was being remodeled as apartments. Ended up needing something I could eat with a microwave. Glad these things are available. This was pre- Go picnics. And it was what I could find at 9 pm in a strange city.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#11 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:36 AM

Chamomile tea, thank you for the warning.  I could have used your advice when I was first diagnosed.  I got glutened even by the Amy's that was not labelled as processed in shared facilities.  I figured out eventually that I am unusually sensitive.  That warning is voluntary just so you know.  Not having it there doesn't mean squat.

I grow my own chamomile. 

#12 Tyria

Tyria

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:10 AM

I rely on Amy's a lot when I need a quick meal or go to a relative's house.  I've never had a problem with them.  I believe some of their gluten-free meals are processed on shared equipment and some are not, so it pays to read the label on each individual meal.  Yeah, they're not the best tasting things in the world, and most of them are too onion-y for my tastes, but sometimes you have little choice.

Like someone else said, GlutenFreeda's burritos are better than Amy's. Plus, GlutenFreeda actually puts meat in their burritos, so if you're not a vegetarian they're more satisfying than anything by Amy's.

#13 notme!

notme!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

to each their own, i suppose - and it is a voluntary disclaimer, so who knows what manufacturers *don't* identify a possible chance of cc.   for that reason, i don't eat much processed/pre-packaged food.  i can make a big batch of (whatever) and freeze single portions.  that works better for me.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#14 Serenity1366

Serenity1366

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

I think from now on I will look on the websites, cos it's clear as mud.  A pack of Blue Dragons sauce did not state wheat gluten or Allergy information on the back of the pack, but on their website they stated it had wheat gluten and had an allergy warning... then on another page on the some site said it didn't content wheat gluten and it was suitable and showed the cross grain sysmbol.  I am soooo confused :blink: .  My tummy was not - it just didn't like it at all :wacko:

Serenity1366

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

#15 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

My roommate bought the Mattar Paneer for me, labeled as gluten-free.  I had it for breakfast and 4 hours later it was like I had consumed a gallon of colonoscopy prep, except the prep doesn't make me vomit.

There is only one thing that makes me react like that:  gluten.    I'd had the same entrée about six months ago, and was fine.  The only saving grace is that I considered running errands and going grocery shopping after breakfast, and decided to stay home instead.  Yay! 

I still have D today, and it feels like I lost a boxing match yesterday.

I'm convinced it was the Amy's because the only food I'd had the day before was whole fruit and homemade chicken vegetable soup made in my gluten-free kitchen. 

Today I was going to e-mail them, but the box has already been picked up by the garbage collectors, and I don't have the lot #, etc.  No more Amy's for me...

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: