This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ghirardelli Chocolate Squares?

WinterSong

WinterSong Community Regular

There was an old post on this. Apparently, the squares are made on the same line as one square that has barley malt in it. However, the company cleans the machines and throws away the first two batches. So....do you think it's safe?

I won't be heartbroken if it's not, but if it is I have a gift in my kitchen that will find its way into my stomach very soon  B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Gemini and I have both eaten them and I'm alive and kicking. 

Last I checked, about 2 minutes ago via email, she was too.  :lol:

Yo, GEM...are you still cool with Ghirardelli? ( let's see if she heard me..........)

GF Lover Rising Star

Ok, I'm not Gem but I do love the squares and I have  no problems with them :D

Colleen

kareng Grand Master

this is new:

Open Original Shared Link

Not sure if throwing out chocolate is true.  Looks like most candy is made on shared equipment so you can choose for your self.  Looks like almost everything they make is gluten free.  I will still eat them.

Gemini Experienced

I'm still alive....maybe a few pounds heavier today but alive and WELL!   ;)

Ghirardelli chocolates are safe, Wintersong. I promise I would not lie to you.  I eat WAYYYYYYYYYY too many of these on a yearly basis for them not to be. I really am quite sensitive yet ingest too many of these and am perfectly fine. No hints of tummy distress ever.  They are one of a few chocolate brands I eat.  All the rest I had to give up except Ghirardelli.   The peppermint/dark chocolate and the caramel/dark chocolate are downright addictive but the little squares are such a perfect serving size....eat them without guilt!      :)

Adalaide Mentor

I eat Ghiradelli when I'm slumming it. It's also my preference for chocolate chips and baking chocolate. I've never had problems with it and for as long as my husband acts like he's dying every time I buy a $10 chocolate bar I suppose I'll keep eating Ghiradelli. :lol:

Thanks for all the responses! Good news! I know what I'll be doing tonight when I get home : D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

It looks like the only gluten thing their equipment also processes is the chocolate with the crispy rice in it, which would be crisped rice with barley malt, I think. That's gotta be such a tiny amount, just to start with in the rice, that I wouldn't think that could really carry over to other flavors. On the rare occasion I eat chocolate (not doing that voluntarily btw..... :angry: ) I stick to Endangered Species because I might as well splurge if it's only once a month lol ;)  so I can't tell you if I react to Ghirardelli, but I'd say they're safe (except the crisp-y flavors obviously).

GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just at the store to pick up more Ghiradelli cocoa powder, and the company has these new 8 oz pouches rather than the old container with a lid. This is the 100% unsweetened cocoa premium baking cocoa. On the back it says "May contain tree nuts, WHEAT, soy, dairy and egg"

Where did this wheat come from?!?!?!

Gemini Experienced

Here is the allergy information from Ghirardelli.  Not everything is made in the same facility, from what I can gather. The only product listed that has any reference to wheat are the classic white chips.  Everything else does not, even the cocoa powder, according to their website. I am not aware of a Ghirardelli crispy rice chocolate bar so I am not even sure if they make one. I do not use their cocoa powder so have no idea, other than a shared facility with the white chips, of why it would be marked that way. On their website, that cocoa powder is listed as not containing wheat or being processed in the same facility as wheat, which makes this a little confusing.  

As far as their chocolates are concerned, they are completely safe and I would recommend them to any sensitive Celiac.  As for the cocoa powder, give them a call and ask.

kareng Grand Master

this is new:

Not sure if throwing out chocolate is true.  Looks like most candy is made on shared equipment so you can choose for your self.  Looks like almost everything they make is gluten free.  I will still eat them.

Here is the allergy information from Ghirardelli.  Not everything is made in the same facility, from what I can gather. The only product listed that has any reference to wheat are the classic white chips.  Everything else does not, even the cocoa powder, according to their website. I am not aware of a Ghirardelli crispy rice chocolate bar so I am not even sure if they make one. I do not use their cocoa powder so have no idea, other than a shared facility with the white chips, of why it would be marked that way. On their website, that cocoa powder is listed as not containing wheat or being processed in the same facility as wheat, which makes this a little confusing.  

As far as their chocolates are concerned, they are completely safe and I would recommend them to any sensitive Celiac.  As for the cocoa powder, give them a call and ask.

Odd that they would have 2 different allergy lists on their website.  The one I posted, above, is new - I hadn't seen it before.  In the past, I had only seen the the one you posted. 

We bought a multi-pack of flavors in San Francisco  and the hazelnut crunch was in it but I don't think it is very common.

Gemini Experienced

Yes, it is strange they have 2 allergy statements.  I still trust them as a company for the simple reason I have never gotten sick from their chocolates that I researched to be safe.  Namely, those devilishly good little squares. If there was even trace gluten in them, from the amount I ingest on a monthly basis,

I would be sick again. I do not eat the white chocolate because white chocolate usually contains barley malt as a flavoring. Not sure if Ghirardelli uses barley malt but I know many companies do so I stay away from it.

I still consider Ghirardelli to be one of the safest chocolates out there. Many Celiacs I know eat them with no problems whatsoever and these are very sensitive Celiacs. 

IrishHeart Veteran

They better be okay, I've got a mouthful of the caramel one right now and mmmfff  mfs ..yum.

We have an old-fashioned advent box with pics of antique Santas painted on the  little  cubby holes of December days.

yes, we "count down"

to Christmas ....so  I fill them with treats.

What can I say? the hubs and I are Christmas fools.  :D 

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Can't swear it's safe, but I eat the dark chocolate ones all the time.

Gemini Experienced

Can't swear it's safe, but I eat the dark chocolate ones all the time.

How could you not think them safe when you eat them all the time?  Welcome to Ghiraddiction.......   ;)

• 2 years later...
GFrapunzel Newbie

I received some Ghiridelli squares for Christmas from my students and so I was worried they aren't safe. I read this and decided to try them. I am extremely sensitive and they did not bother me.

Archived