• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Guest BERNESES

Blue Diamond Nut Thins

Rate this topic

Guest BERNESES

OK- let me preface this with I am MICROSENSITIVE (I'm the one that reacted to the 33 parts per million of gluten in an Amy's gluten-free Shepherd's Pie). I'm wondering if I am having a reaction to Blue Diamond Nut Thins.

I had them New Year's Eve (just a few) because the host bought them for me and they were gluten-free. I was sick the next day but attributed it to cross-contamination (lots of people drinking beer, etc.).

I thought they were really good so I bought some yesterday and as I'm eating them last night I notice on the box it says "Processed in a facility that also processes wheat". Haven't had a whole lot of luck when that warning appears! Anyway, I stopped eating them.

Today I woke up feeling a little funky but it got progressively worse and now I actually feel glutened. The only other things I have had to eat all day are gluten-free things I have eaten before with no problem.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a problem with them. I'm sooooo bummed- they're so tasty! Thanks, Beverly

Guest BERNESES

I know- they're soooo good but I can't for the life of me figure out what else it could be. Boo-hoo!

Beverly -

I cannot eat them either, which is a shame - they are yummy! I bought a box about 3 months ago and brought them to work. I ate some for a snack, and the next day I felt glutened. I wasn't sure if the nut thins caused it, so I tried them again a week later... same thing.. sick the next day. I threw the box out. I haven't tried them since. For crackers, I eat Mary's Gone Crakers. I like the black pepper ones best.

Guest nini

I can't eat them. I bought a box one time and ate about 5 of them... I started getting sick before I could get the 6th one in my mouth... tummy cramping and then felt terrible for DAYS...

Guest BERNESES

I ate the plain pecan ones. I'm so bummed but it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one (sorry that others have experienced this too though). Waa!

I LOVE Mary's Gone Crackers Black Pepper- they rock!

Thanks ladies, at least I have pinpointed the problem. That's always a relief.

I have no problem with them. Infact I ate half a box yesterday.

(It was a rough day at work and I didn't get a chance to get lunch. Despite our group assistants offer to get me food I didn't want to do that to her. So I ate every snack I had at my desk).

I am so sorry to hear the crackers made you sick :( I have had them and have never gotten glutened. I remember reading the warning and freaking out! But I thought I read a post (must have been on this site) that said they are made on a separate line and due their best to avoid cc issues. Beverly, you may want to call the company to confirm this. Like Amy's (I remember the post) they may be interested in your experience. Hope you feel better soon.

Hez

Every time I ate the Blue Diamond Nut thins I felt glutened the next day. It took me a long time to figure out it was from the crackers because I never noticed the warning on the box....well it took me like 3 months to finally take a look. Good thing I was keeping a food diary or I may have NEVER looked. :rolleyes:

I was eating the ones in the blue box and also in the purple box. Dont remember the flavors.

Guest BERNESES

I know- I keep a food diary too and that was how I made the connection. Feel a bit better today but I might take your advice Hez and call the company. I think companies need to know these things. Also, when I looked them up online the initial announcement flyer (a PDF file) said "no wheat or gluten added". Here's the link to it:

http://www.bluediamond.com/retail/nutthins/NTtrifold.pdf

i feel like a gluten detective!

I'm glad I saw this--I noticed the Nut Thins at Whole Foods the last time I was there. I thought about getting them because I haven't had a good cracker in a long time. Foods with the made in a factory with... are notorious for giving me a reaction, so I'll skip those--thanks :)

Please keep us updated if you do contact the company-- i eat these all the time w/o a problem, but it makes me nervous that you guys have had problems!! i too am EXTREMELY sensitive- the tiniest bit usually sets me off...hence my surprise...

Ok, this could be a complete coincidence.....but I had a mystery glutening yesterday. I swear that I didn't eat anything out of the norm; I had mashed potatoes, carrot sticks, an apple, peanut butter, and nut thins. All day that is all I ate and I never even left the house.

Is it possible? If I hadn't read this thread I wouldn't have thought of it...but it CAN'T be my beloved nut thins! Can it?

Guest BERNESES

Noooooooo!!! I really hope not. It's so lame when you discover something you love and then..... I WILL definitely call the comapny tomorrow. What kind did you eat Frenchiemama? I hope you feel better soon! B

Oh no! I just went to Whole Foods today to shop for gluten-free food for the first time. I had their in-store list of gluten-free food and the cracker I picked from the list was Blue Diamond almond nut thins, smokehouse flavor and both my husband and I both love them. After reading this topic I'm now even more worried than I was before since I can't tell when I'm glutened. I just have to do the best I can and see what my insides look like in six months. If something says gluten free, I'm sure even if it's contaminated I wouldn't be able to tell. Since others here seem to have no problems with this item, should I just assume if it doens't make me feel sick it's fine to eat it? I felt like I needed a personal shopper to help me navigate the store today as it was....and then to get home and read this about something I just bought and already love.....this Celiac thing is a bit of a drag. :(

Guest BERNESES

Floridanative- You know, you brought up a REALLY good point. If some people can eat them without symptoms, and they ARE gluten-free technically, then would the minute amounts that us super-sensitive people react to cause intestinal damage? I honestly don't know the answer.

I guess I just wouldn't eat three boxes a day if i were you (which is what I would have done because they are so darn good!) :blink:

I eat the almonds with no problem. I don't think that the ones I buy have that warning on them. However, I think that I will stay away from them now since you mentioned that they are processed in a facility with wheat. I am also very sensitive and I don't want to risk a gluten contamination. Also, they are too salty.

I know all these posts on this msg thread are years old, and none of yall will probably ever read this, but maybe my message will help someone else in the future. I know that whenever i get sick and cant figure out why, i always come here to see if anyone else has had a reaction to whatever supposedly gluten free product i've eaten. I just had some Blue Diamond Natural Almond Nut-Thins Country Ranch flavor that say "wheat and gluten free" right on the box, but i was sick three times within one hour of eating them. Nothing else i ate is at all suspicious. That being said, i have eaten nut-thins before and NOT experienced a reaction. But like most of us with gluten intolerance know, we aren't sick 100% of the time we have gluten usually, at least not for me, which is why i had such a hard time getting diagnosed to begin with. After reading these posts, i am sure it's the cross contamination of the nut thins that did it. Thanks for posting even your suspicions. Enough of them equal a guilty verdict if you ask me.