This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Itchy Ears

happygirl38

happygirl38 Rookie

Has anyone expeirenced internal itching of the ears, so bad that you scrape or dig until they bleed? I've been suffering with this for the past 4 years.

shelly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pumpkin Rookie

Yes. My allergist said it was just dry skin....NOT. I only get it after I have been glutened and I have not yet found a remedy for this maddening itch.

lonewolf Collaborator

YES! I didn't know that anyone else had this. I always thought it was psoriasis in there, since I have been fanatically gluten-free and it's still happening. I have been cheating a bit with eggs though, so maybe that's it. I have noticed that sometimes my ears start to itch with the first bite of something - somtimes even with a glass of water. I've even had infections in there and had to get antibiotic ear drops.

jerseyangel Proficient

YES!! I had an itching in my right ear that, I swear, lasted for years. Since I've been taking antihistimines regularly, it has gone away. It was a constant itch deep inside my ear--no redness or anything like that. Strange--I now have something similar going on with my left eye. The antihistimines help for a while, but it keeps coming back. The ear, though, seems to be gone completely (knock wood!)

DonnaD Apprentice

Oddly enough - Itchy ears was a question my new diet doctor asked me today with regard to yeast/unfriendly bacteria overgrowth. Getting tested ASAP. I get through loads of q-tips!

happygirl38 Rookie
YES!! I had an itching in my right ear that, I swear, lasted for years. Since I've been taking antihistimines regularly, it has gone away. It was a constant itch deep inside my ear--no redness or anything like that. Strange--I now have something similar going on with my left eye. The antihistimines help for a while, but it keeps coming back. The ear, though, seems to be gone completely (knock wood!)

very interesting....my doc said it was from ear wax build up. But i've done the washes and all and it just doesn't go away. An most of the time it has a small odor to it....like a yeast infection smell that dogs get in their ears. NICE huh???

But honestly, I've known of no one personally with this dilemma, and I'm sorry that others are suffering, but it's nice to know that I'm not crazy or alone. I never suspected til now that it could be from food allergies, but know that it is worse at times then others. So it must be from what I eat.

I'm so overwhelmed that I don't even know where to begin with all of this gluten-free eating. Is it true that canned vegies are not gluten-free?

jnclelland Contributor

My sister gets this symptom as an allergic reaction to yeast.

Jeanne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

doggoneit28 Newbie

Ever since being diagnosed in OCT 05, I continue to recognize little things that must be CS related yet have been going on forever . My inner ears have been itching for over 12 years. Sometimes a small itch; sometimes so intense that I find myself digging with whatever I can get my hands on. The first doctor I mentioned it to said, "well, don't scratch them." Thank you very much! I use hydrocortisone cream but it must be reapplied every few days.

Carolita Rookie

It could be yeast. Stay away from yeast for a while to see if it helps. I have had it before but not too much but I was diagnosed with Candida as well as Celiac D. I'm on a yeast free diet as well plus allergy shots and daily dosages of Nystatin. You can also talk to an allergist who believes in Candida Albican to see if you have yeast problems.

Hope you feel better soon,

Carol ;)

Guest Viola

Mine is an allergy. I get it anytime the wind is blowing even a little and anytime I cut fabric. From the fabric dust. I'm a quilt teacher, so that one happens a lot :( But I've had it for years also. Allergy pills helps a bit, but not completely.

colorado kathy Newbie

I've had this problem for quite awhile, too. I was diagnosed w/ DH, so I assumed that is what it was, since the itching is so intense and it will occasionally bleed. I've been gluten-free since Jan. 23 and everything has been much better, except the scalp and ears (which were the worst). I know it takes months for the diet to work completely, but you all have other interesting theories. I have used a mild hydrocortisone cream, but it hasn't helped too much and I don't like to use it unless I'm desperate. Sometimes even just a good lotion helps keep the itching down to where I can heal a little. At least we're not alone.

gabby Enthusiast

My left ear itches like there's a tiny butterfly fluttering around in there. NOTHING eases the itching! i haven't scratched until it bled, but I have thought about putting a fork down there to see if it helps. It took me eons to figure it out....but it turns out when I eat popcorn, I get the flutter. Not corn. Popcorn. plain, homemade in canola oil. I've been tested for corn allergy...and it came out negative. Turns out it is just one of those weird things for me. Maybe keep track of the itching and see if it is related to a specific food.

Stardust Valerie Newbie

I get itchy ears too. I figured it had to do with gluten. Now I am wondering if it may have to do with yeast. It seems like the longer I am gluten free the more senisitivites show up, along with more symptoms of allergies.

pumpkin Rookie

I am convinced it's the celiac disease. I suspect I have DH b/c I get the itchy rash across the top of my cheeks whenever I accidently ingest gluten. I take allergy shots, Allegra D, Nasonex for seasonal allergies and my ear will still itch. Sometimes a Benedryl will ease the maddening ear itch but not enough for me to use it all the time. The itchy ear goes away when gluten gets out of my system.

• 2 weeks later...
ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

I have a confession to make....

Me too! I've been in denial.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Yes! I thought I was the only one who had that! I was so embarrassed, I wouldn't tell anybody! My rheumatologist actually diagnosed me with psoriatic arthritis based on my ears! He said that he could lift the skin -- it was silvery, and it bled underneath. They itch like crazy!!!!! :lol: The only thing that helped was when I was on either Methotrexate or Enbrel. It was heavenly that I didn't have this awful scratching / itching thing going on.

• 4 years later...
uafnanook2001 Newbie

very interesting....my doc said it was from ear wax build up. But i've done the washes and all and it just doesn't go away. An most of the time it has a small odor to it....like a yeast infection smell that dogs get in their ears. NICE huh???

But honestly, I've known of no one personally with this dilemma, and I'm sorry that others are suffering, but it's nice to know that I'm not crazy or alone. I never suspected til now that it could be from food allergies, but know that it is worse at times then others. So it must be from what I eat.

I'm so overwhelmed that I don't even know where to begin with all of this gluten-free eating. Is it true that canned vegies are not gluten-free?

Wow! Even though these posts are old, they are helpful! I am 52 and self-diagnosed myself about a year ago. Both my mom and my aunt are diagnosed with celiac sprue. I did the Celiac ID spit test but it was negative. Still, I have been gluten free for about a year now, along with lactose free, and have done much better. Yet, this itchy ear I have had for 7 or 8 years doesn't seem to be getting any better. I also have DH, sometimes a mild case on my forearms, sometimes it looks hideous. I was told stress could do that and I am in a stressful job so I can't help that, I guess. Anyway, my right ear itches like crazy, smells bad most times, and, when I put a Q-Tip in there, it seems to be wet and stinks. I began telling my FP Dr. about it years ago. At first, he looked in there, with his otoscope, but saw nothing unusual. The next year, he gave me free drops to put in there but they burned so bad, I only tried them twice and threw them away. I have mentioned it to him in subsequent years but he always says he sees nothing. I don't know if I am still getting glutened or what?! My scalp itches a lot, too. I do eat popcorn (I noticed the post on popcorn) but not every day. I sure wish I could find out about my ear and how to make it stop! Thanks for all the posts!

Mtndog Collaborator

I too am an itchy ear sufferer. I have been gluten-free for 5 years and it has gotten MUCH better. I used to get ear infections chronically and also had eczema just at the entrance to my ear canal which would crack and bleed. It has gotten a lot better.

In 5 years since going gluten-free, I've had one ear infection instead of several a year and the eczema flares occasionally. When it does, I just use hydrocortisone cream.

Oddly enough - Itchy ears was a question my new diet doctor asked me today with regard to yeast/unfriendly bacteria overgrowth. Getting tested ASAP. I get through loads of q-tips!

The yeast connection also makes sense as I am flaring right now and I'm on antibiotics.

very interesting....my doc said it was from ear wax build up.

I think this contributes too as I have narrow ear canals and a LOT of wax.

• 5 years later...
LindaMarieIsGlutenFree Newbie

Many interesting theories here about why you might have intense itchiness deep inside your ears! For me, it turned out to be corn. After being strictly gluten free for a couple of years, I began to develop this problem and struggled for a long time to figure out what was causing it. After a lot of experimentation, I realized it was corn. From what I understand, it is very common to have problems with corn if you have celiac disease/DH, and that has turned out to be the case with myself and several other affected members of my family, unfortunately.

Consuming corn doesn't always elicit an obvious reaction, but any time I do have the itchy ears, I can always trace it back to having had corn (or some ingredient derived from corn) within the last 12 - 24 hours. There appears to be a certain threshold that must be reached before I experience symptoms but even that is unpredictable. I have found I need to eliminate it entirely or else I end up eventually suffering the consequences (itchiness can get so bad that I can't sleep sometimes!) and it's just not worth it.

• 9 months later...
francois3 Newbie

Hi,

I got cured by a plant. I had creazy itchy ears crises for over 5years!  Finally  good solution after tried all...

Post is quite old here but let me know if you want any details.

• 1 year later...
dks-girl Newbie

what is the plant that cured you?  I'm desperate for relief.  I am certain the digging will make me deaf before I find how to stop it.  I, too, identified corn and products a problem but there is either something else (I'm already avoiding gluten) or I'm getting corn products without realizing it.  Please let me know!!

Archived