This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator
So are you going off the broth or just going to eat it on days you don't have the NDF?

After this week I'll be moving toward 1/2 drop everyday...so there wont be any "off" days. I think I'm just gonna avoid the broth alltogether. It was causing me problems all along but I was ignoring them since they werent the strong allergic type. Even when I ate small amounts my stomach was making noise and I was nauseues the next day. If I ate 2 bowls..I would get the pressure in my head and in my gums....as well as blurred vision.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rachel--24 Collaborator

They seem to be using NDF alot for the kids on the Autistic Spectrum. I think mercury detox is critical for these kids.

Heres part of one story I've read.

An online friend of an autistic child introduced me to NDF PLUS after her child had a horrible reaction to the DMSA. Her son with nothing but homeopathy, Intergrative Manual therapy and chelation began to recover. She told me that this stuff was incredible. Her son began to notice things that he had never noticed before. He began asking his mom why birds fly in the sky. He would give detailed information on the things he would see as a neural typical child could. HE would ask why and how questions.

That was what we were missing with Gavin. Gavin still could not. SO I started NDF PLUS with Gavin. He was downstairs with his aide when it came in the mail. During his break, I decided to give him a drop under the tongue. Didn

Rachel--24 Collaborator

More info about mercury and kids...

Mercury poisoning is far more devastating in developing children because it impairs neurological development. An adult and child, both exposed to the same amount of mercury, may have very different manifestations of mercury poisoning. The adult may experience fatigue, food allergies, and depression while the child may become severely autistic. Some experts estimate that mercury is 5-10x more devastating for children than for adults. The earlier in life a child is exposed to mercury, the more devastating the impact.

Yup....thats what Anna was telling me. If this same chain of events happened to me when I was only 1 year old...I would be at risk for Autism for sure.

Here are some observations to consider in determining whether your child is experiencing the symptoms of mercury poisoning.

1. The symptoms of autism, Asperger's, PDD-NOS, ADHD, and ADD all match the symptoms of mercury poisoning. We believe that a diagnosis of any of the above represents a diagnosis of mercury poisoning. Many of the symptoms are neurological in origin, but for the sake of clarity we have separated many neurological symptoms into other sub-categories below.

2. Typical neurological manifestations of mercury poisoning in children may include lack of eye contact, flat affect, perseverative behavior (doing the same thing repeatedly), not responding to one's name, difficulty with shared attention (looking when a parent points to something), sensory integration issues (sound, light, oral, and touch sensitivity), inflexibility with transitions, and poor concentration or attention.

3. Typical speech and language manifestations of mercury poisoning in children may include delayed or loss of speech, articulation problems, language comprehension deficits, word retrieval problems, and word use or pragmatic errors.

4. Typical motor manifestations of mercury poisoning may include delayed gross or fine motor skills; hand flapping; spinning, rocking or other repetitive, rhythmic behaviors; toe walking; abnormal gait; clumsiness; and incoordination.

5. Typical psychological manifestations of mercury poisoning in children may include social deficits or withdrawal, excessive shyness, irritability, aggression, temper tantrums, irrational fears, night terrors, anxiety, depression, and mood swings.

6. Typical physical, metabolic, and other manifestations of mercury poisoning in children may include hypotonia (decreased muscle mass), allergies, eczema, gastrointestinal distress, constipation and diarrhea, yeast overgrowth, lowered immunity, chronic ear or other infections, hormonal imbalances, growth delays, anorexia, lethargy or hyperactivity, sleep disturbances, dilated pupils, long eyelashes, and possibly other auto-immune responses such as asthma, juvenile onset diabetes, and multiple sclerosis

Mercury alone is not the cause of all of these symptoms, but it is the spark that sets off a cascade of damage in the body. Mercury progressively kills neurons in the brain and damages the central nervous system leading to a wide range of neurological, cognitive, and sensory dysfunctions. Mercury displaces specific, essential vitamins and minerals, the loss of which go on to create their own damage in the brain, immune, hormonal, and virtually every other system in the body. Mercury impairs the detoxification system allowing all other toxins, which are ubiquitous in our environment, to accumulate and do damage in the body. Mercury damages the gastro-intestinal track creating dysbiosis (imbalance of good and bad bacteria) and yeast overgrowth.

Yeast itself is a neuro-toxin and can create tiny holes in the lining of the gastro-intestinal track leading to a condition called "leaky gut." Molecules of digested food are able to pass through these holes into the bloodstream where the body recognizes them as foreign invaders and mounts an immune response, triggering food allergies, eczema, and other auto-immune reactions. Untreated food allergies and a damaged gut can lead to chronic ear and other infections. Treating these with antibiotics, as is a typical history with many autistic children, only makes matters worse. Antibiotics exacerbate gut dysbiosis and, like testosterone, are synergistically toxic with mercury. Damage to the gastro-intestinal track, which is the body's first line of immune defense, lowers the immune system.

Mercury is the cause of this insidious cycle of physiological damage. The great news for parents is that the removal of mercury, the "spark", allows the body to regain balance and heal.

"It is the elimination of this "spark", i.e. mercury, for which we now have an easy and effective solution. Along with some supportive therapies, autism and certain other neurodegenerative diseases can be fully and permanently reversed. This is NOT a theory but rather, a protocol that has already been clinically validated and the evidence is irrefutable."

- Dr. Rashid Buttar

Vice Chairman, American Board of Clinical Metal Toxicologists

"The word 'chelation' is not in the vocabulary of most physicians. The few physicians who are treating these children are inundated with them in their practices. The good news is that they are responding well to the chelation treatment. The changes in neurological functioning are remarkable with each day of treatment."

- Dr. Stephanie Cave

I know that this info. doesnt really pertain to any of us but I just posted it because its interesting and may help someone who reads it later on. :)

AndreaB Contributor
I know that this info. doesnt really pertain to any of us but I just posted it because its interesting and may help someone who reads it later on. :)

I wouldn't say it doesn't pertain to any of us. The manifestations are interesting to me.

5. Typical psychological manifestations of mercury poisoning in children may include irritability, aggression, temper tantrums, irrational fears, night terrors, anxiety, and mood swings.

Talitha and Micah could both fit in here but mainly Talitha.

6. Typical physical, metabolic, and other manifestations of mercury poisoning in children may include hypotonia (decreased muscle mass), allergies, eczema, gastrointestinal distress, constipation and diarrhea, yeast overgrowth, lowered immunity, chronic ear or other infections, hormonal imbalances, growth delays, anorexia, lethargy or hyperactivity, sleep disturbances, dilated pupils, long eyelashes, and possibly other auto-immune responses such as asthma, juvenile onset diabetes, and multiple sclerosis

What's the problem with long eyelashes? Micah and Talitha both have long eyelashes, especially Micah. Maybe they are a normal long though, I don't know. :blink:

lonewolf Collaborator

I'm sorry to butt in here, but I've been reading some of your posts about mercury. I have a mouth full of silver fillings and a lot of the mercury symptoms fit me. I started getting fillings in my teeth when I was like 5 or 6 because my enamel didn't form right. Going gluten-free and everything else free has made a huge improvement in my health, but there's still something wrong.

How can you get the NDF? I go to a naturopath, but I don't think she's familiar with it. I haven't been able to afford to get all my fillings replaced, just as they are cracking, but I think I need to do something and this looks like a good place to start.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
What's the problem with long eyelashes? Micah and Talitha both have long eyelashes, especially Micah. Maybe they are a normal long though, I don't know. :blink:

Andrea....I wouldnt worry too much about long lashes. They can be long in healthy people too. ;)

With mercury toxicity I would be more concerned about obvious symptoms such as delayed motor skills, chronic infections, yeast, autoimmune disease, physcological symptoms, allergies, GI distress, etc. I think those would be more indicative.

I would imagine the severity of symptoms would depend on the amount of toxicity.

AndreaB Contributor

Well I've done a little bit of searching and can't find what I was talking about.

I have found that live vaccines can not have mercury in them. Whats that say about the shots given in combo with something like the MMR?

I haven't checked the books I have yet though. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I'm sorry to butt in here, but I've been reading some of your posts about mercury. I have a mouth full of silver fillings and a lot of the mercury symptoms fit me. I started getting fillings in my teeth when I was like 5 or 6 because my enamel didn't form right. Going gluten-free and everything else free has made a huge improvement in my health, but there's still something wrong.

How can you get the NDF? I go to a naturopath, but I don't think she's familiar with it. I haven't been able to afford to get all my fillings replaced, just as they are cracking, but I think I need to do something and this looks like a good place to start.

Liz,

First, there is no such thing as "butting" in on this thread. We welcome everyone's questions, opinions, input, etc. :)

I would suggest getting evaluated by someone who has alot of knowledge on the subject of mercury toxicity. This is probably the most important step in the whole process. Its not something that should be done without proper guidance and its not something that should be attempted with any Dr. (or dentist) who is not experienced. I cant stress the importance of that enough.

I wouldnt even be in this situation had it not been for the ignorance of myself and the dentist I allowed to mess with my teeth. This wouldnt have happened had I been informed about mercury.

Most chelators cannot be taken while there are still amalgam fillings in the mouth....they would have to be safely removed before starting chelation. From what I've read about NDF it can be taken while there are still fillings in the mouth but I would be very careful and get help from a Dr. first.

I have read that once someone is chronically ill....no matter what the cause...the fillings should come out. Even with Lyme Disease many people do not recover w/out removing their fillings.

NDF is sold by medical practitioners only...this includes Naturopaths. I've seen it online from $72 up to $165. :o

Like I said...its not something I would embark on without the help of a good Dr. Also read up on mercury toxicity plenty so that you are as informed as you can possibly be.

Knowledge is power. :D

January Flower Rookie

About the mercury in your Teeth. I'm a dental assistant, and even though there is alot of talk about silver fillings, there has been alot of research to sugguest that the amount of mercury you have in your mouth isn't harmful. The truth is white fillings in most cases are used now, but they do seem to cause more sensitivity in patients, and have a higher re-decay rate. Silver fillings dont look as nice but in most areas are a better choice because they are more durable, cheaper, and have a proven longer life span.

So unless you need to replace the fillings becuase of other reasons (decay, fillings breaking down, abcess) i'd just leave the mercury.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Hmmm...check this out.

There seems to be even better response to the NDF Mier Drops if you remove chlorine from your bath or shower water by the use of a RAINSHOWER CQ1000 filter. These can be purchased through the internet or our Nutritional Pharmacy for about $35.00.

Then I read this from the makers of NDF...

NDF dislodges, binds to, and is used up by the first free radicals it encounters on its way into the body. If a person is currently exposed to chlorine, NDF will bind to the chlorine before it binds to the metals.

Maybe I should get one of the showere filters?? I think I definately might want to do this. <_<

Stupid Chlorine. :angry:

AndreaB Contributor
Hmmm...check this out.

Maybe I should get one of the showere filters?? I think I definately might want to do this. <_<

We have a filter on our shower but I need to replace it. Supposed to have been replaced in November. The guy I bought our kitchen water filter from sells these as well.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
About the mercury in your Teeth. I'm a dental assistant, and even though there is alot of talk about silver fillings, there has been alot of research to sugguest that the amount of mercury you have in your mouth isn't harmful.

Ummmm.....show me the research. :)

I think the research showing that it is harmful is quite compelling. Not to mention that I've had the misfortune of learning the hard way.

Believe me when you walk into a dentist office in great health and leave only to watch your health deteriorate to the point that within 2 months time you are on state disability...no longer able to work....you will think differently. ;)

Trust me on that.....until it happens to you...you may go along with what you've learned in dental school and what is preached by the ADA....but like I said...the evidence that it is harmful is very compelling.

My health problems are a direct result of what can happen when you have a dentist who is unaware of the dangers of mercury. Yes, my dentist (even though he witnessed my decline in health after he did his work) stands by the ADA...as do the assistants in his office.

Show me some evidence (not presented by the ADA) that shows mercury to be safe in amalgam fillings??? :huh: I have yet to see it....I am not interested in anything written on QuackWatch either.

There is sooo much evidence to the contrary, actual studies which have been done....amalgam fillings are BANNED in other countries. Why would that be if they were perfectly safe?? :unsure:

You cannot convince anyone who has suffered from mercury toxicity that it is "perfectly safe"....even the ADA acknowledges (finally) that the mercury does leak from the fillings.

Do you really believe that the second most toxic substance on this planet is safe in our bodies?? That it causes no harm??

The body is not able to effectively detox mercury so it absolutely does have accumulative affects on a persons overall health.

No offense but I do believe that most people in the dental profession are misinformed and somewhat "brainwashed" by the ADA. I do not believe that my dentist would knowingly jeopardize my health but his ignorance definately has caused me to lose more than 4 years of my life to illness (so far).

I had "galvanic reaction"....the dentist himself acknowledged this. A "battery-type" effect caused by dissimilar metals in direct contact. This releases large amounts of mercury into the body. You would call this safe??

My dentist said the galvanic reaction wasnt harmful....even if it was leaching alot of mercury from the fillings. He said it was just the same as licking a 9-volt battery and getting shocked.

Ummm...sorry...I dont think it would be healthy to place a 9-volt battery in my mouth for a full year...and I wouldnt be dumb enough to try it. <_<

I think the fact that I became rapidly ill, while having electric currents shooting through my mouth and tasting metal and feeling vapors is enough to convince me that mercury doesnt belong in our mouths.

Sorry I dont agree.....to me its no different than someone who knows nothing about wheat/gluten (other than what he's read) and believes that it is healthy for everyone. Wheat bread is much better than white bread right?? Isnt that what we are taught to believe??

That person may have no clue that he has Celiac and the underlying cause of his illness is something that he believes to be perfectly safe. Who would ever imagine?? :o

Fortunately, I think alot more people are becoming aware of the dangers of amalgam fillings.

I am still interested in your "unbiased" research though.

AndreaB Contributor

My doctor had showed me some numbers as far as amalgam removal and better health (whatever the problem may have been). Most people had improvement, some none at all.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
My doctor had showed me some numbers as far as amalgam removal and better health (whatever the problem may have been). Most people had improvement, some none at all.

Andrea....I would fall into the group that did not recover following removal. This actually deterred me from my earlier suspiscions that mercury was the main issue. I think this is mainly because I was already way too toxic by the time they were removed. My liver detoxification is too impaired.

Mercury stops the enzymes from working and severely impairs detoxification. Plus I had major yeast issues long before the amalgams and gold crowns got removed. The yeast issues started very shortly after the initial exposure.

How much improvement is seen after removal would largely depend on how much the liver is affected, how much is stored in the brain and other organs, what other complicating factors are present due to the toxicity (yeast, bacteria, etc), overall toxicity, and a bunch of other factors.

Chelation is usually needed once the person is chronically ill. I think some people might become highly sensitized to the fillings over time...where they are reacting to the metal itself. In this case they would have more obvious improvement immediately following removal of the fillings.

CarlaB Enthusiast

If you have dental insurance and your fillings are past a certain age, then insurance will cover the new fillings. You might have to pay the difference between amalgams and porcelain though. You also want to be sure you're going to a dentist who specializes in mercury removal ... even for one filling. There are precautions they need to take to protect you from absorbing as much of it. Some of your symptoms may even be from past removals releasing even more mercury into your system.

I had all mine removed over 15 years ago and I'm very happy I did. It's a bonus that they look better, too! :P

CarlaB Enthusiast
I have read that once someone is chronically ill....no matter what the cause...the fillings should come out. Even with Lyme Disease many people do not recover w/out removing their fillings.

Yep. This was one of the questions my Lyme doctor's assistant asked me. They recommend people remove their amalgams. I credit my getting better in 1991 and lasting until 2003 without symptoms (at least without major ones) to the mercury removal, anti-candida diet, and eating healthy. I think the three worked together to make me healthy.

Didn't work this time ... stress lasted too long and the bugs took over.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
The truth is white fillings in most cases are used now, but they do seem to cause more sensitivity in patients, and have a higher re-decay rate. Silver fillings dont look as nice but in most areas are a better choice because they are more durable, cheaper, and have a proven longer life span.

So unless you need to replace the fillings becuase of other reasons (decay, fillings breaking down, abcess) i'd just leave the mercury.

My dentist removed my silver fillings because they were breaking down....one was already broken. When discussing replacement materials for crowns I requested porcelian crowns. He gave me the same speech you typed about porcelain being less duarble, higher decay rate, etc. He told me gold was a much better option...more durable, longer life-span, etc.

Had I not listened to him I believe I would still have my health. The galvanic reaction I experienced was caused by the contact between the gold crowns and my 2 existing silver fillings. I also believe he may have left some amalgam underneath one of the gold crowns. This would not have happened with crowns which were free of metals.

If you ask me....which is more important in the long run.....to have your health intact or to have dental materials which may cost a little more and may not last as long.....which do you think I would choose?? I think most people would opt to have their health.

Also in the end...I had to get everything removed. I had to get the crowns removed as well as the 2 remaining amalgams. I had no choice....and what might have cost me a few extra bucks if I'd gotten the porcelain (that I'd requested) and had them deteriorate faster....would have been much better than losing my health and having to pay THOUSANDS to regain it.

Also, I had no problems with my teeth prior to that. Since then I had to have a root canal on one of the teeth involved and then have it pulled alltogether. Prior to this dental disater I had my health and a full set of very healthy teeth. Now....it seems that my gums are receding too. :angry:

CarlaB Enthusiast

We have a whole house filter ... just had it cleaned today, in fact. We couldn't even stand the SMELL of the chlorine after living in the country on well water for 6 years! The well water we had was great! Three hundred feet deep well right in Indiana Limestone ... the water was clear and had no iron or sulfur in it. The only time it smelled was when we went out of town ... there was no chlorine to keep the live smelly stuff from growing! All you had to do was run the water and you'd get the fresh stuff again.

CarlaB Enthusiast
About the mercury in your Teeth. I'm a dental assistant, and even though there is alot of talk about silver fillings, there has been alot of research to sugguest that the amount of mercury you have in your mouth isn't harmful. The truth is white fillings in most cases are used now, but they do seem to cause more sensitivity in patients, and have a higher re-decay rate. Silver fillings dont look as nice but in most areas are a better choice because they are more durable, cheaper, and have a proven longer life span.

I'm with Rachel. The research I've read on silver fillings is compelling. I KNOW that what you're saying is the official stance of the ADA ... in my opinion, they have to protect themselves or they'd have to replace everyone's fillings so they say what they have to and create their own studies.

I also believe that amalgam fillings served a good purpose. It enabled dentists to save teeth when nothing else was available, it was the best technology at the time it was invented. That was a LONG time ago though, and it's time to move on.

dlp252 Apprentice

Hello, no such thing as butting in here, lol. Welcome to our little thread! I agree with Rachel and wouldn't attempt any type of chelation without a doctor or naturopath who is knowledgeable about this stuff.

Hello and welcome! I don't agree with your statement, but I welcome you! :)

I think this is why my dentist wanted me to wait before trying any type of chelation. I think he wants to see if I am one of those who will improve just from the removal. We'll see, but heck I've been sick twice since removal started, so I'm not holding out a bunch of hope, lol. :lol:

How much improvement is seen after removal would largely depend on how much the liver is affected, how much is stored in the brain and other organs, what other complicating factors are present due to the toxicity (yeast, bacteria, etc), overall toxicity, and a bunch of other factors.

Chelation is usually needed once the person is chronically ill. I think some people might become highly sensitized to the fillings over time...where they are reacting to the metal itself. In this case they would have more obvious improvement immediately following removal of the fillings.

Yep, I don't think my liver is fully able to deal with the detox yet, but hopefully soon. And, my brain is definitely having some sort of problem as well, lol. :P

I did ask Susan on Saturday if they plan on retesting me at BioSET to make sure everything 'holds' and she said they'd do that when they're all done with the treatments. I think at that point my liver would probably be in pretty good shape.

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor

I have a couple questions about getting started on looking into mercury toxicity:

how do I go about finding a doctor in my area (preferably one that's top of the line and really knows what they're doing) that will test for and detox mercury?

and what exactly is tested to determine mercury toxicity? I would think that urine and blood won't show much due to a lack of an acute or constant poisoning in my case... I don't know if a low hair test is statistically significant for someone in their 20s in comparison to autistic kids averaging lower hair mercury levels than non-autistic kids and I don't know what a high hair test would really indicate either... and from what I've seen, I don't think they typically test mercury levels in tissue or organs, right?

are bioset and ART just different diagnostic tools to gauge one's issues in response to different substances? from what I've been able to pick up from reading the past 10 pages or so of this thread, bioset and ART are kinesiology-related methods that many of you are using to pinpoint the issues with your systems... is this what has confirmed the mercury toxicity within your bodies?

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Hello and welcome! I don't agree with your statement, but I welcome you! :)

Good point! I think forgot to welcome January Flower since her post brought back alot of memories of what my uninformed dentist was telling me.

I do welcome you and your thoughts January Flower!! I'm a bit traumatized by the whole mercury/amalgam thing so please dont take my thoughts/beliefs personal. :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
are bioset and ART just different diagnostic tools to gauge one's issues in response to different substances? from what I've been able to pick up from reading the past 10 pages or so of this thread, bioset and ART are kinesiology-related methods that many of you are using to pinpoint the issues with your systems... is this what has confirmed the mercury toxicity within your bodies?

In case you havent seen this...this is from Dr. Klinghardt's website. He is one of the worlds leading experts on mercury detox and he is also the inventor of ART.

Q: What is the Autonomic Nervous System?

A: The Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) is the part of the nervous system that controls functions such as blood flow, heart rate, organ function, digestion, the immune system and healing, etc.

Q: What is ART?

A: Autonomic Response Testing (ART) is a system of evaluation and treatment developed by Dietrich Klinghardt, MD, Ph.D, and Lousia Williams, DC, ND. ART uses muscle testing through biofeedback of the Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) to determine disturbances and potential remedies. ART is a Functional Assessment used by the Holistic/ Integrative Doctor, to determine bodily function (or dysfunction), not specific diseases. Dr. Klinghardt blended the muscle testing of American Applied Kinesiology with the understanding of the anatomy and physiology of German Neural Therapy to develop ART. The result is a highly structured and sophisticated muscle testing biofeedback system designed to give reliable and reproducible results. A medical assessment tool (like ART) that records generalized and localized ANS disturbance can be helpful in determining the root causes of health disturbances. Autonomic Response Testing (ART) grew out of the importance of detecting and correcting problems of the autonomic nervous system. ART allows the doctor to correct the problems of the ANS and to help restore the self regulating mechanism of the body allowing the patient to return to a state of health.

Q: How is ART different from other types of muscle testing?

A: ART is different from other forms of muscle testing in that is uses the latest findings of quantum and biophotonic physics to aid in the assessment of the body. This allows for a much deeper level of testing not available before to traditional kinesiologists. Tools such as a polarization filter and signal enhancers are used to get stronger, clearer feedback from the body. ART often finds things that are missed with traditional kinesiology. ART pracitioners, in general, also have the ability to test for a wider variety of root causes of illness, including specific infections, toxins, and emotional disturbances.

Q: Can ART diagnose diseases?

A: ART is used along with traditional tests, to determine the root causes of illness. It is not used to diagnose diseases.

Q: How accurate is ART testing?

A: ART has been shown to be the most accurate of all kinesiology techniques, with the best reproducability and inter-examiner reliability.

BioSET is electrodermal testing so its somewhat different.

Open Original Shared Link

how do I go about finding a doctor in my area (preferably one that's top of the line and really knows what they're doing) that will test for and detox mercury?

This is a difficult one for me to answer. Even though I knew that mercury was a big issue for me I was unable to find a Dr. who is knowledgeable about this. I did not even know where to look. It was just a chain of events that led me to the Dr.'s that I have now.....I am extremely lucky.

First of all you will most definately have to get out of the "mainstream" to find a good Dr. who is knowledgeable about mercury detox. I went to a naturopathic type Dr. who specializes in gluten intolerance....that was my first step when I left my HMO.

This Dr. couldnt help me and after about 7 months decided that maybe mercury was really more of an issue for me than he had previously thought...he then sent me to someone more knowledgable.

When I saw the new Dr. and presented my symptoms/history to him he said that my symptoms would most likely be caused by Lyme Disease, mercury toxicity, exposure to toxic mold or exposure to toxic chemicals.

He said it was hard to make the diagnosis because all of these are neurotoxins which cause illness to the cells...they are "intracellular". They dont identify themselves easily in testing, they dont cause abnormal results in traditional testing and they all cause the same type of symptoms.

He started with Lyme testing and sent me to BioSET because the practitioner is known to be one of the best in the country for treating chemical sensitivity and chronic illness. This was my first experience with this type of testing.

My Dr. is an M.D. and not too familiar with ART or BioSET....he just knew that this practitioner has good success and he's worked with her before and feels he needs her help with patients with many sensitivities and detox issues.

My BioSET practitioner has been working with me since October. She set me up to see a Dr. who worked with and was trained by Dr. Klinghardt. This Dr. practices ART and was extensively trained by Klinghardt in mercury detox. I'll be seeing her on the 18th. I've only had one ART session which was free of charge and done by someone who is being trained by the Dr. I'm scheduled to see.

We've been working since October to determine what really is the cause of my symptoms. Its been like putting together a puzzle and nothing has been based on the results of any one test. We have done traditional testing as well as BioSET and ART. In my case BioSET and ART are used to pinpoint the problems and then traditional testing is ordered to confirm this.

I never seeked out these Dr.'s. I started out with the crappiest Dr.'s you could ever imagine. I prayed that somehow I'd end up with the right Dr.'s and I guess someone heard me. :)

I wasnt having any luck on my own but now I am more informed and know which type of Dr.'s are knowledgeabe.

All of the people I see treat or have extensive knowledge about Lyme Disease, mercury toxicity and Autism. These are all inter-related and if you can find a "reputable" Dr. who has extensive knowledge in these areas you would be in good hands. Mercury detox is an important part of treatment in Lyme Disease and obviously Autism.

These Dr.'s are usually "Integrative"....they use both traditional medicine and alternative medicine and combine the two to give you the best of both worlds. They have the best understanding of chronic illness and what causes it. Traditional Dr.'s do not have this knowledge....the focus of their studies is on disease and treatment of disease. They know nothing of the *causes* of disease or how to identify them.

I would recommend finding an Integrative Dr. in your area who is knowledgable in the areas I mentioned. If you do some homework and seek out some of the Integrative Dr.'s in your area you should be able to find someone who is "top of the line" by asking around. Also if you speak with an LLMD (a Lyme specialist) if he doesnt treat mercury toxicity himself I would guarantee he would know someone who does. You will find that you will have to pay more "out of pocket"...at least I did....but for me it was well worth it. :)

I find that all the Dr.'s I've eneded up with act sort of like a "team". They all know each other...they know who to refer you to for various things and they all know how to treat mercury toxicity. Noone tries to handle "everything" in my case.

and what exactly is tested to determine mercury toxicity? I would think that urine and blood won't show much due to a lack of an acute or constant poisoning in my case... I don't know if a low hair test is statistically significant for someone in their 20s in comparison to autistic kids averaging lower hair mercury levels than non-autistic kids and I don't know what a high hair test would really indicate either... and from what I've seen, I don't think they typically test mercury levels in tissue or organs, right?

No...they do not test mercury in organs. Also...like you said blood and urine are useless. They often will use hair analysis and this test *can* be helpful..however, sometimes it is the people who are most toxic who have low levels of mercury. My hair analysis was done while I still had my fillings and crowns in....my mercury levels were within normal range. My calcium was extremely elevated. I have read that this can happen with mercury toxicity...that the calcium levels will be very high.

It is very likely that my body was holding onto the metals and not detoxing any of it. Especially since I have yeast and fungus issues. In this case the yeast binds with the mercury and nothing gets released. If mercury levels show up very high in hair testing then the answer is more clear.

The only test to determine mercury toxicity (that is not acute) is a provoked urine challenge. This is when a chelator is administered and then the urine is tested for high levels of metals. This test is used throughout treatment to document progress. Treatment is over when the metals are excreted and no longer showing up in urine. Duration of treatment depends on the toxicity level of the individual and also their ability to excrete the metals. Some can handle larger doses of a chelator whereas some cant tolerate it and need small doses.

Right now my Dr.'s are going on the results of ART and BioSET (which both pinpoint mercury and candida) and the fact that I have large amounts of fungus/yeast which would generally be caused by mercury...especially when everything else has been ruled out. I also have the history of becoming symptomatic following my dental work.

I cannot do the provoked urine challenge yet because my Dr. doesnt think its safe at this point. He wants me to be a little less toxic before attempting the test. If your liver cannot handle the release of metals and they cannot be excreted....things can get worse. My Dr. feels I would get worse if we tried the challenge...so I have to wait at least 2 months to see if he feels I'm ready or not.

The chelators that may be used in a challenge test would be DMPS or DMSA. Either one can be dangerous if you dont have a knowledgeable Dr.

NoGluGirl Contributor
Hmmm...check this out.

Dear Rachel,

Chlorine makes my eyes burn! I saw a chlorine filter for the shower on television not too long ago. I will go and look for it to find it again. I will let you know what it is called. It was not too expensive, either. It was only about $30 or so. Chlorine is also not good for your hair. You absort it through your skin and it is sometimes toxic to those who are chemically sensitive such as ourselves.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

P.S. Good luck with your veggies! Watch out for mold!

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear lonewolf,

To add to what Rachel posted, chelation must be done after amalgams are removed. Otherwise, it is still getting into your system. I would recommend two books about this. "It's All In Your Head" by Dr. Hal Huggins, DDS, and "Beating Alzheimer's" by Tom Warren. In these books, they speak of the dangers in our metal dental work. Go for composite fillings when you can. They are safer. However, when you already have mercury fillings or other metal fillings present, there is a specific order in which it must be done. This is due to mercury and other metals causing an electric current when you chew that can be overpowering to the brain, called a galvanic reaction. That can cause Alzheimer's, Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder, and many other mental and physical woes.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Archived