This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Want To Buy A Bread Machine

Suzie-GFfamily

Suzie-GFfamily Apprentice

I'm comparing bread machines. I hope to buy one sometime between now and Christmas. So far, I've been reviewing the Zojirushi Supreme bread maker BBCC-X20 and the Cuisinart CBK-200 bread maker.

There's about $150 (Canadian dollars) difference in the price of the 2 bread machines. Has anyone used both and compared them?

Is the Zojirushi worth the extra $$$? The cheapest one I've been able to find is $270 CAD (includes free shipping) from Galtak Houseware Ltd. Open Original Shared Link.

Does anyone know whether there are any new models coming soon from either of these manufacturers, or from a different company, that would be good for gluten-free bread baking? If there is something designed for gluten-free bread that is coming onto the market soon, I'd be willing to wait a little while. It seems that no one makes a machine that is specifically designed for gluten-free bread, and we have to make do with machines that are really meant for gluten-containing breads.

Maybe it would be better to buy a heavy duty mixer and bake it in the oven. What kinds of mixers do people use for gluten-free bread dough?

Suzie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular

I have the cuisinart one, I hate it and I'm craigslisting it. It burns gluten-free bread and isn't great at mixing the tempermental gluten-free breads anyway.

Since gluten-free bread "dough" is more like batter anyway, I mix it in my stand mixer and bake it in the oven. At the end of the day, it's a lot less effort.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

hmm, i've been giving the idea a thought as well. i have been told by numerous people here in the forums that i should get a bread machine, and after all my failures at oven baking bread, i'm about ready to invest! now i just have to find which one works best....will stay tuned for any suggestions :)

momandgirls Enthusiast

I have the Zojirushi machine and love it! I bought it after my daughter's diagnosis and have only made gluten free bread with it. I think it's worth the extra money. I ordered it from Amazon (they had the best price). I would definitely recommend it.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I have been reading about the different bread makers on here too. Believe it or not I had no idea what mine was. I used mine to make the Gluten Free Pantrys Sandwich Bread and it comes out fantastic.

But my bread maker is an Oster, and I love it. I dont know how it rates compared to the others. I dont think my mom spent too much on it, as she bought my sister in law one at the same time.

I dont know if this helps any. I hope you find the machine you are looking for. Either way you will enjoy making your own bread. There is such satisfaction in it coming out right!! :P

ehrin Explorer

I also have the zojirushi and love it.

I bought it for about $199 on amazon (okay I lied, mum bought it for me),

but it bakes great gluten-free bread!!

I read about bread machines here and bought it based on the fact that it has two arms.

That seems to have been the most common complaint, that those with one arm could not mix the gluten-free dough.

mamaw Community Regular

I love my Zorjirushi....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chewymom Rookie

Another thumbs up for the Zoji! I have an older one that I have owned for many years. I have never used it for gluten-free flour, but I used it with wheat flour, when I had ground my own wheat berries. Its motor is amazing and can handle really thick, dense flour without even straining at all. It is a GREAT bread machine!!!

jaten Enthusiast

I love my Zoji!!!! I also have the X20 that I ordered from Amazon last Dec when I was diagnosed. I've probably baked a loaf/week since I got it, and have tried different mixes and even a few "from scratch,"....sandwich bread, banana bread, jalapeno cheese bread, raisin bread, etc. Perfect loaf every time. I think the 2 paddles make a BIG difference for mixing; the heavy duty motor chugs right along; the bread bakes very evenly and delicious! If you get a Zoji, you can use one of the memory settings to program a 1-time code that takes less than 5 minutes, and from then on you just dump ing. and hit start. 2 hrs & 19 min later you have a wonderfully, scrumptious loaf of bread.

Guest nini

Mine is a Kenmore and I love it. It has settings for "rapid" which only kneads the dough ONCE since gluten free breads do not need to be kneaded twice. My bread maker is simple to use and my bread comes out perfect. (my favorite mix is Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free/gluten-free Bread Mix) It is also not nearly as expensive as some of the other models suggested and while I haven't used those to compare, I can vouch for the Kenmore one and say it's fabulous.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

jaten.. do you have the recipe for the cheese bread? I loved Wegmans fresh baked cheese bread before gluten free life. I never thought to make it myself.

If you dont mind giving it out, I will understand if you dont!

Please either post it, or PM me!!

Lauren M Explorer

(chanting): Zoji! Zoji! Zoji!

I'm a ditzy non-baker, and the Zoj just makes it so easy to turn out a perfect loaf of gluten-free bread, every single time. Love mine.

- Lauren

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Do you all use prebought mixes or from scratch recipes?

mamaw Community Regular

My fav is Anna's mix. You can find it at gluten evolution

Suzie-GFfamily Apprentice

Thanks so much for all of your input. Lots of votes in favour of the Zojirushi. I can't buy it from Amazon because they don't sell appliances to Canadians, too bad because their price is pretty good.

I can't wait until I get a bread maker and start trying it out. Still don't know which one I'll buy, but your input has been very helpful.

Suzie

hineini Enthusiast

Great thread. I'm seriously thinking of splurging and putting the Zoji on my credit card (bad, bad Hineini!)

Guest ~jules~

Wow what a response for that particular model, it must be good! Mine is some cheapy I just went out and bought, it seems to do just fine, although I don't know much about baking bread. Can you tell me what is so good about the zoji?

momandgirls Enthusiast

Our favorite is Pamela's amazing bread mix. I haven't tried Anna's yet - I haven't been able to find it in a store and just haven't gotten around to ordering it online. I hear really good things about it, though.

Lauren M Explorer
Wow what a response for that particular model, it must be good! Mine is some cheapy I just went out and bought, it seems to do just fine, although I don't know much about baking bread. Can you tell me what is so good about the zoji?

Jules,

I actually have never used another bread machine, but I was surprised at how EASY it is to use the Zoj. I mean, the first few times, I really sabotaged my own bread making attempts (failing to properly secure the paddles, etc.) but it still turned out a great loaf of bread. I have tried various mixes and homemade bread - always turns out well. Also, the Zoj, which you can see on their website and in the product manual, has specific suggestions and recipe ideas for gluten-free bread. I think it is just widely regarded as the best bread machine for gluten-free bread. Well worth the "splurge" in my opinion.

- Lauren

jaten Enthusiast
jaten.. do you have the recipe for the cheese bread? I loved Wegmans fresh baked cheese bread before gluten free life. I never thought to make it myself.

It's super easy! And SO delicious!!! My non-gluten-free dh can eat the entire loaf in 2 days. I use Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread Mix. (Which answers someone else's question. I haven't tried Anna's, because once we tried this mix, we just stopped looking....YUM!!!)

Anyway, on the side of Pamela's AWFB mix, options are listed which include: 2 c shredded cheese, 2 Tbsp melted butter, and 1/4 c chopped jalapeno peppers (I use fresh jalapeno). That's it! I put the other ingredients in my Zoji, and then add these 3 "extras" when it beeps for additions to the bread dough. Experiement with cheeses, we like a medium cheddar for this bread.

I would think it would work with most bread doughs in either a bread machine or oven. Enjoy! It's amazing hot from the machine, and we store it in the fridge and warm in the oven or micro later. Also, makes the MOST incredible sandwiches...try it with some avocado slices...OMG!

daffadilly Apprentice

yesterday I was at a talk given by Beth Hillson, the creator of Gluten Free Pantry, that she has recently sold to Glutino & is now promoting their products & working on new things for them & she recommended the Zojirushi, becasue it has "more surface" for the bread to cook, is horizontal, has two paddles, & can be programmed manually.

I have not researched bread machines yet but that was a good enough recommendation for me!!!

You can buy them on their web site for $199.00 (I looked yesterday)

gluten free.com (with no space between the gluten & free, but I could not get it to type that way!!)

I am not sure if they ship to Canada, but would think that they would?

jaten Enthusiast
Can you tell me what is so good about the zoji?
  • 2 mixing paddles
  • strong motor
  • 1st time only easy program to input, and great gluten-free bread by hitting "start" from then on
  • Evenly cooks and browns to "just right"...never over/under done
  • clean up is very quick and easy (read directions, allow to cool before cleaning)
  • no need to scrape sides during mixing

I'm sure there's more. It's just a trouble-free way to make great bread. I have no experience with other machines for comparison purposes, but my Zojirushi is a dream machine for this Celiac bread lover. I would rate it as one of my all time "best buys."

mamaw Community Regular

You can buy the bread machine from Anna who sells Anna's bread mix. It's called Gluten Evolution. You can e-mail Anna with any ???? she is a great person and her mix is the very best..

I think I will never have to buy another bread machine because the jor is a power house......

mamaw

wolfie Enthusiast

Another vote for the Zojirushi!! I love mine.

I still have to figure out how to program it for the gluten-free bread, though! LOL! I think it is rising twice and really only needs to once.

High-Tech Mom Rookie
Jules,

I actually have never used another bread machine, but I was surprised at how EASY it is to use the Zoj. I mean, the first few times, I really sabotaged my own bread making attempts (failing to properly secure the paddles, etc.) but it still turned out a great loaf of bread. I have tried various mixes and homemade bread - always turns out well. Also, the Zoj, which you can see on their website and in the product manual, has specific suggestions and recipe ideas for gluten-free bread. I think it is just widely regarded as the best bread machine for gluten-free bread. Well worth the "splurge" in my opinion.

- Lauren

Does anyone have any other sources for good gluten-free bread receipes that would come out nice in the Zoj? It sounds like this is a must-have for those of us with gluten-free family members.

Also, how do you think the cost-per-loaf compares:

- Buying a gluten-free loaf (like KinnickKinnick sandwich bread)

- Making a loaf in a bread machine with a mix

- Making a loaf in a bread machine from scratch

Archived