Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kaycee

How Tall Are You All?

I have heard that coeliacs are usually shorter in stature. I am just wondering how true this is, or is it just a myth?

Firstly I am 1.6metres, that is 5' 3". So I am a little height challenged.

I have one shorter son and he is the oldest and is 5'7". The other three sons are well on their way to 6 feet tall, or are already there. None of my children have been diagnosed, so far only the two youngest have been tested, but there could always be a chance their diagnosis could change in the future. The older two don't quite come under mums juristriction, but I can nag at them until they do.

Catherine

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest ~jules~

Well heres to a fellow shrimp! I'm 5'3" also.... :D I'm pretty petite too, not skinny but things aren't just the usual size I guess.

I'm 5'4 and 3/4 (I'll take every quarter inch I can)

My short stature is due to juvenile arthritis tho, not celiac. My mom, who had severe, almost fatal, malnutrition in infancy due to celiac is 5'4. I have two non-celiac siblings, my sister who's 5'5 and my brother's 6'. (I may be shorter but they're older. :P )

I'm 5'8", which is on the short side for my family. My mom was just under 6', my dad was 6'1.5". My mom's sister is 5'11", and my counsins are 5'11 and 5'10".

Basically, I'm pretty short for a tall person.

Nancy

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

I'm 5'6". My kids are all taller than me (even my 'baby', Susie, who was 5'9"already when she was 13). Two girls are just a tiny bit taller than me, one is 5'8", and my son is 6 feet tall. My six brothers are over six feet, and my dad was, too. My mother was quite a bit shorter, and my sister is a little shorter than me.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm 6'1" on my short leg, 6'2" on my long leg!!!! :lol: Depends upon in which situation that I stand on the long one! At the doctors -- ALWAYS the long one! Makes my Body Mass Index MAYBE one under depending! :lol::lol:

Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

I'm 5'9". Two things that celiac didn't affect with me:

Height

and

Fertility!

LOL!

Hugs.

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Yeah, but you got REALLY cute kids out of it!!!!!

Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

Yeah, but you got REALLY cute kids out of it!!!!!

Thanks! Cute, yes. But they sure run me ragged!

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Ya think??????? Each one talks to me at least 2 times while we're talking . . . not to mention each thing that they have to tell you . . . . ESPECIALLY if "Daddy" has been mean and made them get ready for bed, etc.!!! I don't see how you do it! I had two . . . 3 1/2 years apart (had miscarriages after that), but I thought it was so difficult! You are the official taxi, "meanie", hugger, snuggler to a whole herd!!! They are really really cute, though!!!!! :P

Lynne

I'm between 5'6 and 5'7...which is kinda tall for girls in my family, most are shorter around 5'4 or so?? But they are um overweight, basically 99% of them...I'm the only actual skinny adult!

~lisa~

...Flames vs. Panthers, and Lifehouse, were best experiences OF MY LIFE!!...

...26 years old...

...Look in my forum profile for ways to read my public sports articles...

R.I.P. Uncle Gus (Sept. 21, 1971 - Oct. 2, 2004) ... R.I.P. Baba (Oct. 12, 1911 - Feb. 28, 2006) ... R.I.P. Uncle Lawrence (Aug. 7, 1943 - Jan. 4, 2009)

I'm 5'4", which is average, and is also my mother's height, or at least it was when she was younger. My daughter is 5'2", which she gets from her grandmother on her father's side.

Nothing

I'm 5'4", which is average, and is also my mother's height, or at least it was when she was younger. My daughter is 5'4", which she gets from her grandmother on her father's side.

Hi,

5'8"- so, don't fit the picture with that.

lisa

I'm 5'5" (actually 5'5" and 3/4). I look like I'm 5'8" though because I'm thin and have really long legs. And actually all the doctors predicted I would be 5'8", but I developed severe scoliosis in my teens and I think that took a few inches off.

Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy

Inflamed stomach lining

Gluten free since July 6, 2005

Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

I'm probably the tallest woman among baby boomer or older members, at 5' 4". The generations after ours are all taller, but only by a couple of inches.

I'm 5'7 1/2". I was 4'11" when I started high school, so I wonder if it was one of those things where I had a brief "remission" of sorts in high school. I've read that symptoms can go away then for a short time. I actually felt good in high school.

Spunky, can you imagine, my mom, grandma, and great-grandma were all 5'8"!! It almost looked funny on my great-grandma that she was so old and so tall!!

gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

I am 5'7". I was always the tallest kid in my class until 7th grade when the boys started surpassing me in height. My mom is 5'4" and dad is 6'1", so I am in the middle.\

My brother, whom I strongly suspect celiac disease in, but hasn't been tested (and grumbles at having to change his diet somewhat), is only 5'6" (claims 5'8" or 5'9" on his driver's license). He was a short, sickly looking kid growing up, and they even put him on some medication to increase his appetite so he would eat more as a child. He probably had celiac way earlier than I developed symptoms.

Natalie

Multiple allergies since 2 years old - 1979

Diagnosed with Endometriosis - February 1998

First visit to Gastroenterologist - 4/4/06

Negative Bloodwork - 4/4/06 (only IgG & TtG)

Gluten Free since 4/17/06

Colonoscopy - 5/8/06

Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant - 5/22/06

Celiac Disease suspected, but not confirmed due to going gluten free before biopsy

5' 3-1/4" ...gotta get that 1/4 inch in! :)

I'm 5'7, about the same as both my sisters. My 13 yo daughter is 5'7-1/2 and my 15 yo daughter, who put herself on gluten-free because she feels better sans gluten, is only 5'2, much shorter than the 5'6 - 5'8 that was predicted for her. She doesn't have Celiac, but probably non-Celiac gluten sensitivity, like me. I will always wonder if diet stunted her growth before I was aware of the whole issue.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

I am also 5'7" -

tall for one side of my family (mum is 5'2" and women on that side historically are that height)

Average for the other (dad's family runs high 5's and low 6's.

My only sibling, sister, is 5'6"

she does not have celiac though

My name is forgettable, so I invite you to remember this tale." (RG)

Diagnosed with celiac disease, by biopsy, 10/05

T1 diabetic since 2/80

So I'm feeling like the Jolly Green Giant!!!!! Ho Ho Ho . . . .

Lynne