Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mtndog

Omg- I'm A Phd Candidate!

Wow- What a day! I had the meeting today to defend the qualifying exam I took back in June for my PhD in Literacy. I was terrified. But the defense went pretty well and I was aked to leave the room so they could discuss the outcome. Longest 5 minutes of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They brought me back in and told me I passed without revisions (most people have to do revisions/rewrites). I almost cried. I was so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally. It's been 4 years to get to this point and now I can finally say I'm a candidate. :D

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Congratulations Beverly!!!!! :D:P:D

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

THAT is wonderful news. CONGRATULATIONS on a job well done.

"Throw yourself a pity-party and you'll be the only guest." - Earlene Fowler

Diag. Celiac Disease by positive blood test 2/03/2004

Allergies - corn, soy, casein, egg whites and wheat

Morphia Scleroderma

Osteoarthritis

Hypothyroid and Hperthyroid

Essential Tremors

Asthma

Migraines

Fibromyalgia - diag. in 1978 when they called it Fibrositis

PAD Peripheral Artery Disease

Angina and Atrial Fibrillation

Gluten Ataxia

Vitiligo

Scoliosis of the spine (caused by malabsorption and it is horribly painful) This would be enough reason for someone to go gluten free.

Ocular Myastenia Gravis

NO REVISIONS???? :o:o:o

OMG, Bev, you are one smart Mountain Dog!! Congratulations!

OMG- funniest response yet. One of my co-workers said "I wish there were more PhD's like you. You're a valuable loose canon" I almost bust a gut laughing. I like the you are one smart Mountain Dog even better. You're a pretty smart dingo yourself (that sounds like an oxymoron :P )

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

You go girl!!!!!!! Congratulations!

Love & Hugs,

Lynne

Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

WooHoo!!

Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

I like the you are one smart Mountain Dog even better. You're a pretty smart dingo yourself (that sounds like an oxymoron :P )

um, excuse me, but these ARE the smartest dingo girls! (well, one of them anyway....smarter than many humans I know but she does not have a doctorate) :lol:

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

I agree -- I saw no revisions and almost choked with envy! Major congratulations!

Erica

Inconclusive blood test results

Positive Enterolab results

Positive dietary results

gluten-free since 2/10/06

Congratulations, you're amazing!

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is sooooo awesome! Congratulations! Hard work pays off......

Hugs.

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Wow :) Good for you! Are you glad that you did your PhD?

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!! Funny thing is.... you only get to feel important for about an hour before you realize you still have to do the laundry, clean the cat box, cook :P

Carrie- I'm not done yet. I still have to do a dissertaion but YES I am so glad I am doing this. It's been my dream for a long time and there have been several times where I thought "I just can't take it anymore" but somehow, you wake up the next morning and realize you can. It's one of the hardest but best things I've eer done.

Susie- Since my area is literacy and the dingos ARE so smart maybe my dissertaion can be about teaching them to read :P

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

Congraulations!! I am so very happy for you!!!! :D:D:D

Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"

"blood work show's a disease called celiac,

but it can't be that because it's rare!"

Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac

offering support, my

experience and advice

Wow- What a day! I had the meeting today to defend the qualifying exam I took back in June for my PhD in Literacy. I was terrified. But the defense went pretty well and I was aked to leave the room so they could discuss the outcome. Longest 5 minutes of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They brought me back in and told me I passed without revisions (most people have to do revisions/rewrites). I almost cried. I was so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Finally. It's been 4 years to get to this point and now I can finally say I'm a candidate. :D

WOW!!!!! That is so FANTASTIC Bev! Congratulations!!!!!!

Congratulations!!!!! I'm Jen, new here, and about to take my second qualifying exam anthropology in October [bites nails] and defend in December [bites nails harder]. It's a tremendous accomplishment to pass without revisions; amazing, in fact. Good job.

Enterolab:

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 20 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 9 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 1223 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 18 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 8,7)

Gastritis dx 10/24

Eosinophilia of large bowel dx 10/29

Congratulations Beverly :)

I have to vouch for the Dingo Girls, they are extremely smart dogs and oh so multi-talented :lol:

Welcome Jen :)

Thanks!

Enterolab:

Fecal Antigliadin IgA 20 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 9 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 1223 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 18 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 8,7)

Gastritis dx 10/24

Eosinophilia of large bowel dx 10/29

NO REVISIONS???? :o:o:o

Passing is one thing but this is really outstanding.

hugs and love and many congrats.

proud of you

judy

Judy in Southern CA

Congrats Bev! I dont know you well at all. But it must be thrilling to realize you are living your dream! WTG!

Welcome Jen!!!

Stephanie

Gluten free since October 05

son born severly premature due to

celiac

"True love stories never end" Richard Bach

"Did you ever stop thinking and forget to start again?" AA Milne

If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you" AA Milne

Swimming Instructor #2 and Town Crier of Rachelville