This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Funny Pages - Tickle Me Elbow - The Original

TriticusToxicum

kareng Grand Master

Would love to come Lisa! Don't really love oysters, but that isn't the point! Robotics team is hosting a First Lego League scrimmage - 150 grade school kids and thier families! And like Janet - if M has to work it, so do I. How much concessions do you buy for this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Darn210 Enthusiast

I tried an oyster once, felt like an eyeball in my mouth.

:lol: :lol: :lol: . . . Well, if I had my doubts about oysters before, I don't anymore. What an EYE-opening comparison.

Darn210 Enthusiast

How much concessions do you buy for this?

Was that a rhetorical question? . . . or are you really looking for feedback? In which case, what hours are the event? And is everyone there for the entire time?

kareng Grand Master

Was that a rhetorical question? . . . or are you really looking for feedback? In which case, what hours are the event? And is everyone there for the entire time?

It was rhetorical but if you have some ideas, I would love to hear them! The kids in charge of the concessions want to have a bunch of things, but I'm trying to limit them to coffee, hot chocolate, juice, 1 diet soda, 1 caffienated soda, 1 non-caf soda, mini-muffin packages, granola bars, candy, chips (let me go look at the list & be back)

Hours are 7:30 am. to about 1 pm. Everyone is there the whole time except some parents or grandparents, might come and go. About 125-150 should be there most of the time. We have no way to cook anything other than plug it in like a coffee pot.

kareng Grand Master

This is the stuff they were asking for. I noticed the granola bars and those may have peanuts. He said only about 3 parents said they would bring stuff so I get to take a couple of kids to Costco and buy what we need. I am going to ask Costco what can be returned (unopened). I am thinking a few, simple items. :wacko:

I'm also wondering why none of thier parents will do this? :angry:

"We would ask that you do not bring home baked goods. We have several participants with peanut allergies. If you would wish to bring home baked goods, please email C to check. Additionally, we would ask that you refrain from bringing peanut or nut products all together. Thank you!

What can you bring to the FLL Scrimmage in terms of food and supplies? (NO PEANUT/NUT PRODUCTS PLEASE!)*Check one or more options.

• Baked Goods (Cookies, Brownies, etc.)

• Soft Drinks (In Cans in large boxes)

• Individually Packaged Candy

• Juice Boxes/Pouches

• Bottled Water

• Coffee (pre-ground, in cans preferably)

• Decaf Coffee (pre-ground, in cans preferably)

• Hot Chocolate (in cans or individual packets)

• Popcorn (Individual Packets unless someone can bring a popcorn maker)

• Individually Packaged Chips and Snacks (In large boxes)

• Individually Packaged Granola Bars (In Large Boxes)

• Doughnuts (Please bring morning of event due to perishability)

• Half and Half (Please bring morning of event due to perishability)

• Milk (Please bring morning of event due to perishability)

• Non-dairy creamer

• Splenda/Sweet n Low (Sugar (Individual Packets or in Can)

• Sugar (Individual Packets or in Can)

• Coffee Maker (4-5 Necessary)

• Carafe (2-3 Necessary)

• Popcorn Maker

• Styrofoam Cups (8 Oz)

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

. It never posted :(

Just wanted to tell Em I thought that project the kids were doing was wonderful and I love the poster but its many pages back now I think

elye Community Regular

The kids in charge of the concessions want to have a bunch of things, but I'm trying to limit them to coffee, hot chocolate, juice, 1 diet soda, 1 caffienated soda, 1 non-caf soda, mini-muffin packages, granola bars, candy, chips (let me go look at the list & be back)

OMG.. ....I canna believe that WINE is NOT on that list. . .. ..Parents and grandparents there from seven to one.....and NO WINE??....What in hell. . . . .... :huh:

:rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

OMG.. ....I canna believe that WINE is NOT on that list. . .. ..Parents and grandparents there from seven to one.....and NO WINE??....What in hell. . . . .... :huh:

lol!! Indeed!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I have a scar on my tailbone that tells me when I've been gaining weight! Does that count? :P

elye Community Regular

I have a scar on my tailbone that tells me when I've been gaining weight! Does that count? :P

Whoa.. . . .why, what happens? Does the scar get longer with an extra ten pounds? With fifty I guess it might disappear altogether.... :rolleyes:

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Whoa.. . . .why, what happens? Does the scar get longer with an extra ten pounds? With fifty I guess it might disappear altogether.... :rolleyes:

HAHAAHAAAA!!! No, because I tend to gain weight in my rear end and so it makes the

scar ache because it's being stretched. Snarkypants. :P

kareng Grand Master

See? This is why I should run these things by the Psillies and get input! Perhaps, as it is a.m., we should have Mimosas and Bloody Marys?

Darn210 Enthusiast

We do completely packaged items with the exception of hotdogs (they are cooked/heated in a huge commercial-like crockpot thing - then transferred to a warmer). We're there from about 9 am until 4 pm. I would probably limit what you are offering . . . that's an awful lot of stuff to keep track of although you start earlier than us . . .

This is all we sell:

Hot Dogs w/Buns (bottles of ketchup, mustard, relish available)

Variety of prepackaged individual chips

Variety of Full Size Candy Bars

Bottled water, soda(diet coke, coke, sprite, root beer), gatorade (which was the first to go) . . . I don't think we were even asked for juice boxes.

(We sell nothing with any redeeming nutritional value ;) )

You defintely need the coffee. I would just have them use creamer and not worry about milk or half & half . . . or were you wanting milk for the kids? You know those parents will be feeding the kids breakfast before they come so I wouldn't stock up on a ton of breakfasty things.

Here's my number one suggestion: Get waaaaaayyyyy more ones/change than you think you will need. I can't tell you how many people bought their $1 bottle of water with a $20 bill. I had to go to a bank to get more change. Between what we started with, what we scrounged/begged from people who had change on them and what I went back to the bank for, We probably needed around $150 in ones. Now, at the end, we had loads . . . but in the heat of the battle, we were sweatin' it. (Murphy's Law says I will start with $150 in ones (and some 5's and 10's) and everyone will have correct change this year.)

Everything was priced in round dollars so it was a lot easier to make change. It was two adults and about four tweens running the stand.

Homemade stuff will never be OK for somebody with severe food allergies. You just can't trust it . . . and I know you know that. Just as long as there are some prepackaged options, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I know when we do anything like this with Skeeter, we just look over the selection and tell her what she can choose from and sometimes (to her delight) she gets to have cheetos and a rootbeer.

Costco will let you return anythng that is unopened . . . also lets you return open stuff if you are dissatisfied.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Alright guys, more wasp issues. This time i found one dead (left the container out overnight of what i had made soup in with a little juice in the bottom, the blasted thing drowned in it).

I just don't understand how they are getting in. I had thought that itw as an issue with the gap under the door. Fine, i taped up some cardboard and placed a towel in front of that at night... and it still got in. THe only other way is through the vent in the bathroom... Which i could leave on at all times if i did so wish it.

I'm going to submit another report with housing. This is NOT acceptable. I did not have this issue when i first moved in when it was dead hot out, now i do? grrrr...

All sugery items, until further notice, have been locked down in the fridge (honey, brown sugar, and sugar).

Gah!

kareng Grand Master

We do completely packaged items with the exception of hotdogs (they are cooked/heated in a huge commercial-like crockpot thing - then transferred to a warmer). We're there from about 9 am until 4 pm. I would probably limit what you are offering . . . that's an awful lot of stuff to keep track of although you start earlier than us . . .

This is all we sell:

Bottled water, soda(diet coke, coke, sprite, root beer), gatorade (which was the first to go) . . . I don't think we were even asked for juice boxes.

You defintely need the coffee. I would just have them use creamer and not worry about milk or half & half . . . or were you wanting milk for the kids? You know those parents will be feeding the kids breakfast before they come so I wouldn't stock up on a ton of breakfasty things.

Here's my number one suggestion: Get waaaaaayyyyy more ones/change than you think you will need. I can't tell you how many people bought their $1 bottle of water with a $20 bill. I had to go to a bank to get more change. Between what we started with, what we scrounged/begged from people who had change on them and what I went back to the bank for, We probably needed around $150 in ones. Now, at the end, we had loads . . . but in the heat of the battle, we were sweatin' it. (Murphy's Law says I will start with $150 in ones (and some 5's and 10's) and everyone will have correct change this year.)

Everything was priced in round dollars so it was a lot easier to make change. It was two adults and about four tweens running the stand.

Homemade stuff will never be OK for somebody with severe food allergies. You just can't trust it . . . and I know you know that. Just as long as there are some prepackaged options, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I know when we do anything like this with Skeeter, we just look over the selection and tell her what she can choose from and sometimes (to her delight) she gets to have cheetos and a rootbeer.

Costco will let you return anythng that is unopened . . . also lets you return open stuff if you are dissatisfied.

Thank you. That was very helpful. It was left to the kids. I honestly thought the one girls mom would want to help. Maybe she didn't want Mom to help.

I was thinking that most of these kids will have had breakfast. Because they are done at 1, they will be needing a snack. I have emailed to ask what the milk is for. Maybe just for coffee? I'm hoping.

I'm going to try to remind everyone that we are not a full-service StarBucks. No one expects soy milk and flavored syrups. If we run out, then we run out. A truly starving family can run across the street to Arby's, a large grocery, sub shop, etc.

tom Contributor

I tried an oyster once, felt like an eyeball in my mouth.

Sounds like a raw one. Blech! :missinggreenguy:

I'm thinkin' the key word now is roast. :P

Everyone should love Oysters Rockefeller! (damn ..just remembered my futile search for goat parmesan-type hard cheese)

And Rolls-Roysters!

Maybe like a Drunken Shrimp recipe, there's a tequila-involved Boysterous Bivalves. . ....Go BEARS!!

How strange . ..it squished all my sentences together? Hm is it fixed or not .. ..the suspense is killing meeeeeee

kareng Grand Master

Alright guys, more wasp issues. This time i found one dead (left the container out overnight of what i had made soup in with a little juice in the bottom, the blasted thing drowned in it).

I just don't understand how they are getting in. I had thought that itw as an issue with the gap under the door. Fine, i taped up some cardboard and placed a towel in front of that at night... and it still got in. THe only other way is through the vent in the bathroom... Which i could leave on at all times if i did so wish it.

I'm going to submit another report with housing. This is NOT acceptable. I did not have this issue when i first moved in when it was dead hot out, now i do? grrrr...

All sugery items, until further notice, have been locked down in the fridge (honey, brown sugar, and sugar).

Gah!

I think this is normal when it gets cold. They are looking for warmth. There could be a very tiny crack around a window, light fixture or the fan might be where they come in. They could have ridden in on your clothes or bag even. I'm not sure if you have a real "wasp" or the things many call a wasp or bee. Those are actually attracted to any food, including the smell of meat cooking. I don't think the smell will bring them in from outside. Doesn't sound like an infestation, just a few random bees/wasps/pollinators. Can you see if any of the neighbors are having this issue?

elye Community Regular

This is all we sell:

OMG....no wine in your arenas either, Jyaghnutt... . . ....note to self: politely decline any invitiation to Kherrighnne's or Jyaghnutt's kids' competitions.... :P

A truly starving family can run across the street to Arby's, a large grocery, sub shop, etc.

. . ..A bar.. .. . ...

:lol:

kareng Grand Master

OMG....no wine in your arenas either, Jyaghnutt... . . ....note to self: politely decline any invitiation to Kherrighnne's or Jyaghnutt's kids' competitions.... :P

. . ..A bar.. .. . ...

:lol:

Yes - 2 blocks down. Open for lunch B)

shadowicewolf Proficient

defenently wasps lol

You are probably right though. But why me?

I have set up some wasp traps just in case (take a waterbottle cut it in half, invert it into itself add something sugery and vala a trap). I've got two of them set up just in case. rather have to toss them with nothing in them than not have them and be infested.

I took a walk around the building earlier when i ran some laundry down, saw two spiders (ugh) and no wasps.

Darn210 Enthusiast

Yeah . . . the tournament is held at a school . . . the concessions are run by 10 to 14 year olds . . . they kind of frown on liquor being served by minors at a school . . . they're funny that way. :lol: Although, I'm sure it would be a money-maker.

You want something stronger than gatorade, Em, you'll just have to come to my house.

jerseyangel Proficient

You want something stronger than gatorade, Em, you'll just have to come to my house.

No need to ask twice--I'll swing by to pick ya up Em. See you tomorrow, Jan-it? Around 5 :D

Lisa Mentor

No need to ask twice--I'll swing by to pick ya up Em. See you tomorrow, Jan-it? Around 5 :D

I'm commin' too, with a bushel or two. :lol: Watched a great movie this afternoon... Mozart's Sister It's subtitled, but a lovely movie. I highly recommend it, on Netflix.

elye Community Regular

. . . they kind of frown on liquor being served by minors at a school . . . they're funny that way.

Jeez, that's too bad......you should see the track meets up here....

I'll be waiting, Patteigh....wif bells on! Alcohol-fueled party at Jhaghnutt's! B)

jerseyangel Proficient

Alcohol-fueled party at Jhaghnutt's! B)

Woo-hoo!!!

Archived