Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ptkds

I Made A Huge Mistake!

Last week, I bought a couple of mixes from the Gluten Free pantry because I had heard so many good things about them on here. So I got the sandwich bread mix and the muffin mix. I tried out the bread mix a few days ago, and the whole family LOVED it. Then this morning I tried out the muffin mix and made blueberry muffins w/ struedel on top. They were amazing.

The problem is, I CANT AFFORD THESE MIXES!! And now I want them all the time. I don't want to go back to making things from scratch :( .

So does anyone have a recipe that is equivelant to these mixes????? PLEASE!!! I just cant afford to pay $5 for 1 loaf of bread. But I LOVE the taste.

ptkds

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Well, I haven't tried those, but I might try to approximate the recipe by using logical proportions of the ingredients they have on the package. Also taking note of the color, aroma, etc, while adding things, and attempt to match the original.

What may help is to bake a small amount of the mix like a cookie, for a reference. Then as you tweak your own blend, bake a similar cookie to see how it compares. This might waste some ingredients before you get the blend right, but once it's done you'd have the recipe forever.

I've seen many recipes come up in Google which emulate name brand products, so perhaps someone has already done the work and posted the recipe.

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I make up flour mixes in big containers so I don't have to measure out six different kinds of flour each time I bake. That has increased my baking efficiency a lot.

Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.

Peanut-Free since July 2006.

For my bday last week my mom made me some gluten free vegan german chocolate cake. it probably was the best cake i ever remember having.

after not being able to have all the goodies ive been wanting, im getting faith in gluten free baking.