Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alamaz

Change In Bm - Don't Understand

I've only been gluten-free for about two weeks but I went from "D" to semi normal and now to normal but floating :blink: ? I don't get it. Is this bad? Sorry for the TMI but thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

Amy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Floating is usually from gas added by bacteria in your colon. Maybe your upper intestine isn't healed enough to start digesting food, but it's no longer traumatized because you aren't eating gluten anymore. So food is going slow enough to get to your colon where the bacteria are doing their best to break it down for you.

Don't stress about it. Two weeks is a very short time to be gluten free and you may go through all kinds of different bathroom experiences before everything settles down.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

New User here - forgive me if I sound naive....

I seem to have gone the other direction - the "C" route, if you will. I've been gluten-free for four months, and felt fantastic until about 10 days ago, when I began to notice irregularity - uncooperative bowels - no pain, but fatigue. I've had off & on "irritable bowel" for 20 years, then figured out an intolerance to lactose and was pretty much okay bowel-wise, but fatigue set in in a big way about that time. 15 more years of inexplicable periods of malaise that I thought was gone when I gave up wheat/barley/rye in November - despite negative bloodwork. But now the fatigue is back, accompanied by uncooperative bowels - despite the fact that I almost never eat out (and am very careful with few mistakes when I do) and am very careful about the gluten thing.

I wonder - since I started late (over 50) - if I'm having some kind of backlash effect, or am I looking entirely in the wrong direction? is this backlash possibly what is happening to alamaz?

About a month ago I realized I was reacting badly to garlic. I had never had a problem with it previously. Maybe you've developed a new intolerance.

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

Symptoms can change before they finally get better. I've heard any number of people say this and it was my own experience as well. I've only been gluten-free for two months. I certainly remember, though, at weeks 2 and 3 my system was a little strange. Even this morning I had this big reaction to something and I don't know what. (Problem is, I think it could be any number of things -- since I have multiple intolerances and I don't know that I know them all. I tested positive to everything they tested for ...)

I recently ran across this quote from Dr. Fine of Enterolab in #71 of the Clan Thompson newsletter: "There are 3 ways a gluten free diet can induce new symptoms: the first is with the foods that are added to the diet to replace gluten; the second is that as your immune system improves by better nutrition and health, it may become more reactive for a time; third, it may be something that was in development anyway. It is not likely unrelated to the celiac related immune phenomenon, but not necessarily related to the gluten free diet. Others do worsen sometimes for a time before improving. This needs to be researched further."

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

Symptoms can change before they finally get better. I've heard any number of people say this and it was my own experience as well. I've only been gluten-free for two months. I certainly remember, though, at weeks 2 and 3 my system was a little strange. Even this morning I had this big reaction to something and I don't know what. (Problem is, I think it could be any number of things -- since I have multiple intolerances and I don't know that I know them all. I tested positive to everything they tested for ...)

I recently ran across this quote from Dr. Fine of Enterolab in #71 of the Clan Thompson newsletter: "There are 3 ways a gluten free diet can induce new symptoms: the first is with the foods that are added to the diet to replace gluten; the second is that as your immune system improves by better nutrition and health, it may become more reactive for a time; third, it may be something that was in development anyway. It is not likely unrelated to the celiac related immune phenomenon, but not necessarily related to the gluten free diet. Others do worsen sometimes for a time before improving. This needs to be researched further."

Thanks. This is helpful and hopeful. In many of the other threads on this board I am seeing that things can crop up after an initial period of (to me) euphoria and seeming health. My sister and I have been talking about how - despite the fact that we are not absoultely "normal" - we have NO desire to try gluten again.

I think that a roller coaster ride is very applicable to many people's experiences with the gluten-free diet and their health. It can take a long time to heal, so you never know what will happen. Plus, throw in an accidental glutening here and there, and its hard to heal. But, it can be completely normal to have the ups and downs for seemingly no reason.

On the other hand, once you have been strictly gluten-free for a more extended period of time, it is probably worth pursuing other options, if your symptoms are still present. Other food intolerances, other problems with the digestive track, bacterial problems, parasites, etc.....the list is endless. At this point, it might be worth it to consult a doctor to rule in/out other problems.

Best of luck, and I hope that ALL of your symptoms improve!! Fingers crossed.

I think that a roller coaster ride is very applicable to many people's experiences with the gluten-free diet and their health. It can take a long time to heal, so you never know what will happen. Plus, throw in an accidental glutening here and there, and its hard to heal. But, it can be completely normal to have the ups and downs for seemingly no reason.

On the other hand, once you have been strictly gluten-free for a more extended period of time, it is probably worth pursuing other options, if your symptoms are still present. Other food intolerances, other problems with the digestive track, bacterial problems, parasites, etc.....the list is endless. At this point, it might be worth it to consult a doctor to rule in/out other problems.

Best of luck, and I hope that ALL of your symptoms improve!! Fingers crossed.

thanks.

I am gluten free x6 months, as is my sister, and all of our BMs float....color , size, consistency has all improved to noraml standards, however, they consistently float. I don't understand it either. Would love to hear what other have to say.