Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hathor

What Vitamin/ Mineral Supplements Do People Take?

I'm interested in dosage information as well. I found something at the store that seemed ideal for me in terms of content. But after a couple days I had some serious diarrhea. Of course, it could be something else causing the problem. (But my usual response is the opposite extreme.) The magnesium content of the suggested dosage is rather high (1,000 mg), now that I've researched it. (The pills are gluten-free; at least, the bottle says they are.)

Maybe since I'm little I need more like 1 pill a day, rather than 3, or I need something with less magnesium. Perhaps I don't need anything at all. I am just concerned with my malabsorption; I thought I'd take something at least until I've done some healing.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

....The magnesium content of the suggested dosage is rather high (1,000 mg)...I am just concerned with my malabsorption...

h,

My bottle say's 3 pills daily (1200 mg). I just started taking it three days ago. Maybe coincidence, maybe not, but I've been almost constipated since. Wierd huh?

If we have malabsorption, shouldn't we take more?

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

h,

My bottle say's 3 pills daily (1200 mg). I just started taking it three days ago. Maybe coincidence, maybe not, but I've been almost constipated since. Wierd huh?

If we have malabsorption, shouldn't we take more?

best regards, lm

Hi all

NowFoods makes a powder magnesium supp. that is 450mg. My doctor said I should try this until I heal a bit more because it will be easier to absorb. I also asked about the "more is better" approach to combat malabsorption, and she said it's ok for food, but to be VERY careful if you do it with vitamins and supplements because once you do start absorbing, you can cause other problems with excess amounts.

John

positive blood tests 2/07

positive endoscopy 2/07

colonoscopy with benign polyps 2/07

I use powdered magnesium, 1/4 tsp each night in my juice. Magnesium helps the bowel retain fluid, which makes it easier to poop. If you took yours for a few days, then had diarrhea, it probably took that long for enough liquid to build up to move what was in the bowel. Once you are cleaned out, you should be able to cut back your intake to a maintenance level.

Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

It is probably definately related to the new Mg supplements. Try cutting back to just one a day for awhile and maybe work up to two if you need them. Classic symptom of too much magnesium is diarrhea. That's usually how a lot of people who take Mg kind of know how much they need to take is when they reach the point of D, they back up until their stools return to normal and that's how much they need. You may find a pill that is a little less concentrated so you can take more pills and find out exactly how much you need a day before you find negative side effects. My Mg pills are 250mg so I can titrate them a little more closely depending on my needs. Happy supplementing!

To give credit where credit is due, Burdee posted in the Cramping thread under Recover/Treatment - this website about magnesium: http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_of_m...um_to_human.htm. (I hope that copies fine - heBurdee posted the link at 12:58 a.m on 3/8.)

I read it with interest because - unlike most of the participatins, I seem to suffer more often from C than D. Docs have been looking askance at me for years for taking 400-600 mg daily of magnesium - tho it seems to keep away heart palpitations and severe muscle cramps and keep me regular. Thru a detox conducted in November, it seemed Gluten was a problem, and I was much more regular, and therefore reduced my magnesium to none - 400 mg. daily. Suddenly - almost overnight, I began to get "sick" (severely fatigued) and - words - severely C'd. Psyllium is a really bad idea for me, so I tried Citrucell, and was stopped up for a copule of days. Needless to say, I've gone back to magnesium. I can't explain it, but my body seems to do better with 600-800 mg daily.

tho - I agree that absolutely everything I read that says the indication of too much magnesium is D (and/or gas).

maybe work up to it - less is more?

There's nothing like keeping a food, etc. diary to make you wonder about links :blink:

I just realized I had a major D episode 2 1/2 weeks after quitting gluten. I never could explain it. Now 2 1/2 weeks after giving up soy I have another one. Coincidence?

It makes me worry about when it will be 2 1/2 weeks after I stopped yeast :lol:

Could this have been my body's way of finally detoxing itself of something? Or making an adjustment to normal functioning?

I'm just taking one of the magnesium pills for now. I wasn't taking it for relief of symptoms (my usual C was so much better off the gluten) so much as from concern about bone health. I have malabsorption and am now going through menopause.

Once I get my bowels all straightened out, maybe I can figure out what to do about the hot flashes. I've tried a variety of supplements over the months and nothing works.

Thanks to everyone who's posted :)

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

I also take a powdered magnesium. It is easier to absorb than a pill, even for those who's digestive system is capable of breaking up one of those things (mine isn't). Currently I seem to do fairy ok with the recommended dosage, twice each day. It's the one from Now Foods - 450mg per tsp. I usually just blend it into a meal or dessert dish. However, I was recently experimenting, and it may have a more pronounced effect if taken with less food. So I'm guessing that the larger amount of food simply gets in the way of it being absorbed as effectively.

That makes me also think that the malabsorption problem itself may be assisted by breaking up meals into smaller portions, and just eating more frequently throughout the day. I think I'm going to try to work on that, and see how it goes. To avoid having to cook all day, I think I'll just eat half a meal, and save the rest for a few hours later. My meals are way too large right now anyway - I'm just always hungry.

As for other supplements, the only other one right now is a sublingual methylcobalamin (vitamin B12).

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I also take a powdered magnesium. It is easier to absorb than a pill, even for those who's digestive system is capable of breaking up one of those things (mine isn't). Currently I seem to do fairy ok with the recommended dosage, twice each day. It's the one from Now Foods - 450mg per tsp. I usually just blend it into a meal or dessert dish. However, I was recently experimenting, and it may have a more pronounced effect if taken with less food. So I'm guessing that the larger amount of food simply gets in the way of it being absorbed as effectively.

That makes me also think that the malabsorption problem itself may be assisted by breaking up meals into smaller portions, and just eating more frequently throughout the day. I think I'm going to try to work on that, and see how it goes. To avoid having to cook all day, I think I'll just eat half a meal, and save the rest for a few hours later. My meals are way too large right now anyway - I'm just always hungry.

As for other supplements, the only other one right now is a sublingual methylcobalamin (vitamin B12).

In the short time I've been on the diet( 1 month), I did seem to start feeling better when I started eating 5-6 smaller meals a day. It's kind of a pain because it seems I'm either cooking, cleaning, planning my next meal, or eating. But it seems to work good for me as I've started packing on the pounds I'd lost the last 4 months ( had major malabsorption issues).

BTW, do you take your B12 on doctor's orders or on your own? I'm still under doctors orders to get a B12 shot once a week and I guess she's tired of looking at me cause they showed me how to do it myself and gave me a Rx for the needles and B12. The problem is, I HATE needles. Can you get the sublingual OTC or can you order it on-line? Thanks

Did I mention I really hate needles B)

John

positive blood tests 2/07

positive endoscopy 2/07

colonoscopy with benign polyps 2/07

John,

Do you have someone to give them to you? I would be horrible at giving myself a shot. I realize that if I were to have diabetes, I may have to learn. I am sure the shots are the best if you are really deficient. I am not sure about sublingual brands or if it works as well. My guess would be it doesn't work as well, or the doctor would have ordered them that way.

Monica

BTW, do you take your B12 on doctor's orders or on your own? I'm still under doctors orders to get a B12 shot once a week and I guess she's tired of looking at me cause they showed me how to do it myself and gave me a Rx for the needles and B12. The problem is, I HATE needles. Can you get the sublingual OTC or can you order it on-line? Thanks

Did I mention I really hate needles B)

I can't stand the sight of needles, so I understand completely.

It was actually this forum which gave me the incentive to try the B12. I gave up on doctors years ago, to answer that question.

You don't need any prescription for vitamins, and the sublingual methylcobalamin has been proven to be just as effective as the shots. The fact is, taking more than about 5000-6000 mcg per day won't do much if anything, as research indicates the body just doesn't absorb such high amounts at once. All the investigation I did on this subject indicates that around 3000 per day is typically the most effective overall, especially when administered over time. That's why I take 1000 mcg three times per day, rather than all at once.

I'm guessing that the massive injections doctors give is just because they really have no justification for giving a vitamin. After all, doctors don't really give nor believe in vitamins - they administer drugs for everything. So the massive dosage makes it seem more like something only available from a physician. A normal amount wouldn't seem special enough, and who'd be dumb enough to see a doctor for an ordinary vitamin dosage?

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

TriVita has sublingual B12. Doesn't anybody know that too much magnesium causes diarrhea? Ever heard of "Milk of Magnesia"? It's for constipation. You're probably taking too much magnesium. Cutting back on the dosage would be a good idea like you said.

HLA-DQ 3,1 (Subtype 8,6)

Antigliadin IgA 72

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 49