This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Breakfast Ideas

carriecraig

carriecraig Enthusiast

Good morning,

As I eat rice crackers with PB on them for the 100th day in a row, I'm getting really bored with eating the same thing over and over.

When I first started to post on this board (in 2005), I remember someone posting a list of foods to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and others added to it. I can't find it now. Has anyone seen it recently???

Much appreciated!

Carrie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I see you live in NJ, if you live near a Wegmans, go buy their Organic Corn Flakes and Strawberries cereal. Very good and marked gluten free on the box.

Lisa Mentor
Good morning,

As I eat rice crackers with PB on them for the 100th day in a row, I'm getting really bored with eating the same thing over and over.

When I first started to post on this board (in 2005), I remember someone posting a list of foods to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and others added to it. I can't find it now. Has anyone seen it recently???

Much appreciated!

Carrie

Hey stranger!!!! Good to see you again Carrie.

My current craving is Vann's Waffles with PB and Jam. I alway have some brown rice in the fridge (cooked with Swanson's chicken broth) which is always handy for a quick breakfast with a fried egg.

carriecraig Enthusiast

Great ideas, thanks so much guys. :rolleyes:

momandgirls Enthusiast

Our three favorite weekday breakfasts are Erewon crispy brown rice and berries cereal, envirokids amazon flakes cereal and homemade smoothies - any kind of frozen fruit, about 1/2 cup of rice milk and a cup of any flavor soy yogurt. For weekends, we often make pancakes (with chocolate chips of course!).

missy'smom Collaborator

Breakfast gets old for me too. Here are my standards.

Pancakes-Pamela's or most recently Pumpkin from on this board-make ahead and freeze and warm up in the am

ham, bacon, sausage

yogurt and fruit

smoothies

yukon gold or red potatoes, halfed and boiled 'till cooked but still firm, cool and chop, refigerate and next day fry in a skillet with ham, green peppers and onion, salt and pepper or saute everything together and warm up the next day

put a slice of ham on a piece of bread, a slice of cheese on top and broil or tuna, mayo, cheese and a thin slice of tomato, garnish with a few baby lettuce leaves after it is broiled

Bob's Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal, with a little apple, raisins, pinch of brown sugar and cinnamon added during cooking and a splash of milk added after cooking in the cooler months

Juliet Newbie

A quick, easy breakfast for me is vanilla or blueberry yogurt (Trader Joe's Blueberries & Cream or Vanilla & Cream are my favorites) topped with toasted flaxseed (again, Trader Joe's has a great price on toasted flaxseed mixed with dried blueberries - yummy). Puffed pancakes are actually pretty easy to make, too. You mix up the batter, pour into a pan, then bake, so it's easier than regular pancakes (there's a topic on them under this section). I'm experimenting on a pumpkin version (as I wrote on another thread - can't get enough pumpkin).

Speaking of pumpkin, I also make my own whipped pumpkin mascarpone spread and eat it with toast or frozen waffles. It takes less than 5 minutes to make from start to finish and it's tasty! My kids love it - they call it "pumpkin frosting".

Whipped Pumpkin Mascarpone Spread

Mascarpone cheese is the Italian version of cream cheese. It has a very mild taste with very little tang, unlike American cream cheese, and you can even whip it up just like heavy whipping cream. This is a great spread for toast, quick breads, pancakes, etc.

(1) 8 oz. package mascarpone cheese

1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

1/2 cup pureed pumpkin

1/4 cup fine sugar (baker

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

Pancakes or Trader Joe's gluten-free waffles

Chicken sausage or Turkey bacon from Trader Joe's

French Toast

Trader Joe's gluten-free granola and rice milk

Almond butter on rice cakes

Homemade muffins (apple, pumpkin, cinnamon, quinoa/raisin)

~alex~ Explorer

I like warm rice with syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, and almond slivers on it.

Also, smoothies (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, OJ, yogurt, ice or water)

mamaw Community Regular

Bagels & Eng. Muffins from Joansglutenfreegreatbakes. We make McMuffins sandwiches...

loco-ladi Contributor

My favorite:

bobs red mill wicked good hot cereal

Hubby's favorite:

home made breakfast buritos

confused Community Regular

mine is breakfast bowels

what i do is make hasbrowns on the bottom, then add omlet eggs or scrambled eggs then i make bacon or sausage then i put green chili on top

or i make scrambled eggs and put bell peppers, onions(well use to), and tomatoes and put that with hashbrowns with bacon or sausage with salsa

or breakfast burritoes in brown rice tortillas

or just plain ole lara bar or fruit

or fruity pebbles in almond milk

paula

bfarnsworth0709 Rookie

My new favorite thing is General Mills - Trix cereal. I also really like quaker rice cakes with PB, and Van's waffles, with syrup and butter.

gfmolly Contributor

mine is breakfast bowels

Hi Paula,

Just had to point out the funny in your post-bowels instead of bowls!

Anyway, I love Trader Joe's French rolls with pb and TJ's cherry preserves.

Terri :D

kevsmom Contributor

Wegman's also has gluten-free bagels. I have them with Philly cream cheese and smoked salmon.

I also put the cream cheese and salmon on rice cakes.

I wrote to Acme Brand packaged smoked salmon - They are gluten free (my local food store carries this brand). Wegman's probably has some too.

Wegman's also has gluten-free bagels. I have them with Philly cream cheese and smoked salmon.

I also put the cream cheese and salmon on rice cakes.

I wrote to Acme Brand packaged smoked salmon - They are gluten free (my local food store carries this brand). Wegman's probably has some too.

Are their gluten free bagels fresh or frozen?

cyberprof Enthusiast

I love the Trader Joe's gluten free/dairy free pancakes but the rice flour doesn't agree with me, so I don't eat them often. I don't eat any bread replacements either because of the rice flour. I am going to make Mistilyn's bread recipe after I find sorghum flour.

I used to love an open-faced breakfast sandwich with (pre-gluten free days) whole wheat English muffin, one fried egg, cheese slice and sometimes Canadian bacon or regular bacon. My new favorite substitute is:

Chipolte-Black Bean Gardenburger Patty (this flavor is gluten-free, says it right on the box but be careful, not all Gardenburgers are gluten free)

Slice PepperJack Cheese melted on top of gardenburger

One fried egg

Optional: Slices of avocado, some gluten-free salsa or chopped tomatoes

This gives me the fiber that I need and some veggies.

Other favorite (for weekends) is:

One egg plus 1/4 cup liquid egg or egg white

2 cups spinach cut in chiffonade (ribbons)

1 tablespoon low-fat cream cheese

1 ounce (or more) of smoked salmon

Trader Joe's gluten free waffle (optional)

Cook the egg in a skillet, add the spinach and cream cheese before the egg sets up. When the eggs are done to your liking, add smoked salmon. Heat 1 minute then serve plain or over waffle.

I've been known to eat leftover dinners for breakfast. For breakfasts on the go I eat a Lara bar and a hard boiled egg.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I like cinnamon raisin bread with cream cheese on it, or scrambled cheesy eggs, or oddly enough I love having bean dip for breakfast, just salsa, sour cream, and refried beans. I also made these biscuits the other day, they were so easy and they were really good, and would probably set up quite well with sorghum flour. Here's the recipe, my boyfriend had a fit and ate all of them they were so good.

Coconut Country Biscuits

Ingredients:

3/4 c. White Rice Flour

1/4 c. Organic Coconut Flour

2 Tbsp. Potato Starch

1 tsp. Sugar

1 Tbsp. Baking Powder

1/4 tsp. Sea Salt

1/4 c. Butter

1/2 c. Buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450

Juliet Newbie

Actually, you're right about them working with sorghum flour; Bob's Red Mill has another recipe that's very similar without the coconut flour. We eat these all the time. It works best with unsalted butter. If you use salted butter, I'd omit the salt.

Buttermilk Biscuits - Gluten Free

contributed by Carol Fenster, Ph.D.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup Sweet White Sorghum Flour

1/4 cup Potato Starch

1/4 cup Tapioca Flour

1 tsp Sugar

1 Tb Baking Powder

1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum

1/4 tsp Sea Salt

1/4 cup Butter

1/2 cup Buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450

cooki.dough Rookie

Usually I eat fruit with protein for breakfast. One of my favorite quick breakfasts is "pizza eggs". Easy to whip up, enjoyable, and can be made in a variation of ways so it never gets boring.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Sorry if this has been posted already (I'm kind of skimming the thread).

I like muffin frittatas:

crack 8-10 eggs into a bowl

add chopped veggies of choice (tomato, green onion etc. etc.)

canadian bacon, sausage and/or cheese is optional

mix it all together. pour into greased muffin tins and bake for about 10 mintues, or until cooked. you can freeze them and re-heat each morning for quick breakfasts. (I've successfully reheated in the oven and the microwave - be careful not to overcook initially if you'll use a microwave).

I stole the idea from someone on this board (don't remember who though)

:)

kevsmom Contributor
Are their gluten free bagels fresh or frozen?

The bagels that I get are frozen Glutino bagels. I found mine in the frozen section of Nature's Marketplace in Wegman's. You could also order them directly from Glutino.

Cindy

Centa Newbie

OK, :) I was raised eating oatmeal some mornings....it was probably missing that, but when I heard about quinoa, which is a seed, a "pseudo grain", not a grain, that shows up in the "OK to eat" lists for celiacs, I tried it.

It has a spot in my mornings, definitely. It cooks up in 15 minutes, on a conventional stove. Put whatever you'd put in dry cereal on it. I have an intolerance to regular milk, but Borden's lowfat half and half, which is cultured, works fine over the quinoa for me. It has a mild flavor, not strange at all. Strawberries or blueberries dress it up just fine.

You can find quinoa in health food stores. Wild Oats sells it bulk.

And it's good for your: "protein content (12%

The bagels that I get are frozen Glutino bagels. I found mine in the frozen section of Nature's Marketplace in Wegman's. You could also order them directly from Glutino.

Cindy

You go to Hunt Valley don't you? I used to go there but the store where I live in Harrisburg opened 3 weeks ago so it is so much closer. The gluten free aisle is nice and big though.

Archived