Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I know that topic has been on here before, but I figured I'd start a new thread instead of resurrecting a two year old thread.

So I bought the regular puffins... ate them yesterday and today. My head hurts sooo bad and I've got the anti-motivation thing going on. I knew better... and while they said wheat free, they surely were CCed or had something hidden in them. HARD lesson learned!!!

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

So I know that topic has been on here before, but I figured I'd start a new thread instead of resurrecting a two year old thread.

So I bought the regular puffins... ate them yesterday and today. My head hurts sooo bad and I've got the anti-motivation thing going on. I knew better... and while they said wheat free, they surely were CCed or had something hidden in them. HARD lesson learned!!!

Ouch :(

Yes, the only Puffins cereal that is gluten-free is the Honey Rice. Even those are not made on dedicated lines and a few (including myself) have reacted to them. <_<

Feel better!

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Sweetie sorry you feel so bad. I tried the Puffins once and did not like it at all. It was expensive too. I also noticed they stick barley in some of their cereals.

Hope you feel better soon.

~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

36_22_10[1].gif

The day before yesterday I purchased the Puffin Honey Rice version and was very careful with the ingredients. The labeling stated that the item was wheat free and had no gluten in the ingredients. This gave me a false sense of security with this product. I ate one bowl and within the hour was in extreme pain from symptoms and bloating. This is how I react to gluten and the symptoms are debilitating. I contacted the manufacturer [barbara's bakery which is a subsidiary of Weetabix?] and received an email saying they were following labeling guidelines and so sorry for your problem but we don't label it "gluten free." So, their answer is basically buyer beware and don't eat if you can't handle it. My answer was they should have truth in labeling not include any mention at all regarding gluten so that consumers will not be fooled. :angry:

The day before yesterday I purchased the Puffin Honey Rice version and was very careful with the ingredients. The labeling stated that the item was wheat free and had no gluten in the ingredients. This gave me a false sense of security with this product. I ate one bowl and within the hour was in extreme pain from symptoms and bloating. This is how I react to gluten and the symptoms are debilitating. I contacted the manufacturer [barbara's bakery which is a subsidiary of Weetabix?] and received an email saying they were following labeling guidelines and so sorry for your problem but we don't label it "gluten free." So, their answer is basically buyer beware and don't eat if you can't handle it. My answer was they should have truth in labeling not include any mention at all regarding gluten so that consumers will not be fooled. :angry:

Most likely they use barley malt in their 'flavors', because it is under a certain percentage of the ingredients and considered a flavoring agent they don't have to disclose it. We really need to contact the FDA often to let them know that we need clear labels. We need to know if an item is 'processed' to be gluten free or if it is really made from gluten free ingredients. We also need to stress the issue of disclosure of CC issues. I did notice that this company removed the gluten free label from the one cereal that they had that was gluten free. But I had stopped eating it for CC reasons long before that.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

I just threw away a couple old boxes I never used of Puffins a few minutes ago, it gets me with the dizzy and tired spells too. :(