This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ignorant Comments

Breila

MissLu Newbie

Me: "Does this mayonnaise have dairy in it?"

Waiter: "Yeah, it's got eggs."

Me: "What?"

What: "It's got eggs. Eggs are dairy."

Me: Where is the Wheat-Free bread?

Whole Foods Employee: Wheat free bread? What's that?

This is why Whole Foods is a poor, corporate excuse for a health food store.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mom23boys Contributor

I thought of this thread tonight while we were out to dinner.

My husband wanted the sweet tea but first he asked if it had caffeine in it. The woman replied "No, we only add sugar to regular tea". :rolleyes:

loco-ladi Contributor

So first you may need a bit of a briefing....

7 years ago I went to "idiot dr" and got nothing solved, did my reasearch and figured it out on my own...attempt 1 and 2 failures but we are into year 2 of sucess (finally!)

I had the opportunity to visit my local ER on an unrelated matter and guess who the ER Dr is that night....

yes mr idiot himself! <_<

When filling out and answering the endless questions, I remarked yes I cannot have gluten...

well sure enough dr idiot comes in reads the comments and says.... are ya ready, lol

I told you years ago that you had acid reflus not celiac, besides you weigh to much to have that!

Gee you think I may have gained a few pounds since I am not poisoning myself any more?

FoxersArtist Contributor

I am quite new to the idea of being gluten free and before I was able to do some research I rushed off to the healthfood store for answers that might solve my gluten free delimma. I grabbed the first employee I saw and drug him over to the flour section explaining that I could not eat anything that had "wheat gluten" in it. This was before I knew about rye and barley too - which is why I needed help. I was trying to be friendly and silly and I pointed to the container that was filled with pure: "wheat gluten" and said in a sarcastic voice "what do you think, is this one gluten free?" The employee studied the container for a second, looked at me totally bewildered and said "I have no idea. I'm sorry, I can't help you with this. I don't know anything about flour" and walked off! It was supposed to be a friendly joke but my original request for help must havew been too overwhelming for him. Now, I believe in the goodness and value of people. I don't like to believe that anyone is "stupid" but this fellow needed a little upgrade. He was bagging my grocieries when we checked out that same night and he put my strawberries in the same bag as my raw, frozen meat. Eeee.

-Anna

msmini14 Enthusiast

My roomate gets so mad at me when I decline the food she makes. I dont know how many times I have explained to her that I cannot eat anything in her pantry. So she offers me food, I asked what she put in it. She tells me oh dont worry you can have this. Oh no I dont think so, I cant just eat anything. She replies well, I only put a little soy sauce in there or oh come on this little amount cant hurt you. She gets so upset with me and I frustrates me!

I went out to eat not to long ago and they really messed up my order. They told me I had ordered a breaded chicken, I let them know that I am allergic to wheat/bread and I could not eat it. So they give me chocolate cake for wasting my time lol. I thought it was funny!

Or when people stare at you at a social function and ask why you are not eating, are you on a diet? You shouldnt worry about eating that. I reply with yes, I am on a life long diet and not by choice.

I ordered a chicken breast with grilled onions one day and this larger woman come up to the counter and ordered a cheese burger. She looks at me and said this is why I am fat and you are skinny. I really didnt know what to day except I would love to eat a cheese burger anyday but I cant because I am allergic to wheat.

So many people assume and I try to handle it the best way I can. People dont listen to what you are saying. But if I think about things before I was diagnosed, I wouldnt have thought wheat was in everything, it never occured to me.

MDRB Explorer
!

Or when people stare at you at a social function and ask why you are not eating, are you on a diet? You shouldnt worry about eating that. I reply with yes, I am on a life long diet and not by choice.

I ordered a chicken breast with grilled onions one day and this larger woman come up to the counter and ordered a cheese burger. She looks at me and said this is why I am fat and you are skinny. I really didnt know what to day except I would love to eat a cheese burger anyday but I cant because I am allergic to wheat.

The skinny thing really bothers me, before I went gluten free I used to get lots of 'concerned' question about how much I weighed, people would accuse me of having an eating disorder and assume I needed an intervention and to be force fed. In their defense I did look pretty awful as I was under 100 pounds, but I really didn't need to hear that I looked so bad! It used to really upset me and before I knew it was celiac disease I used to stuff myself with bread to try and gain weight (which of course only made things worse). These days I am about 110 pounds, so I am still pretty small, I still get the occasional comment about how thin I am but its more along the lines of ' I don't know how you do it' rather than 'OH MY GOD! EAT SOMETHING'. ;)

debmidge Rising Star
So first you may need a bit of a briefing....

7 years ago I went to "idiot dr" and got nothing solved, did my reasearch and figured it out on my own...attempt 1 and 2 failures but we are into year 2 of sucess (finally!)

I had the opportunity to visit my local ER on an unrelated matter and guess who the ER Dr is that night....

yes mr idiot himself! <_<

When filling out and answering the endless questions, I remarked yes I cannot have gluten...

well sure enough dr idiot comes in reads the comments and says.... are ya ready, lol

I told you years ago that you had acid reflus not celiac, besides you weigh to much to have that!

Gee you think I may have gained a few pounds since I am not poisoning myself any more?

This is another "Wonder" doctor! This is what eating Wonder bread does to your brain!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

babysteps Contributor

I think I had repressed this...

Just remembered what my Dr. told me, after an extreme bout of D (resulted in prescription potassium) with no known cause - I would get really light headed suddenly, or feel faint. It was weird, and it wasn't just because I'd lost a few (but not too many) pounds from the D. You know what he said?

"You're getting older, it takes longer to heal"

and in a rather dismissive (as opposed to empathetic) way. Although he was 70 or so, so perhaps he had some personal experience? Other than that he was generally pretty nice & effective.

At the time I was 38.

Fine now!!!

linuxprincess Rookie
I think I had repressed this...

Just remembered what my Dr. told me, after an extreme bout of D (resulted in prescription potassium) with no known cause - I would get really light headed suddenly, or feel faint. It was weird, and it wasn't just because I'd lost a few (but not too many) pounds from the D. You know what he said?

"You're getting older, it takes longer to heal"

and in a rather dismissive (as opposed to empathetic) way. Although he was 70 or so, so perhaps he had some personal experience? Other than that he was generally pretty nice & effective.

At the time I was 38.

Fine now!!!

It's really sad to hear this about a doctor. The last few months ( years for some symptoms ) my father was alive, he kept asking the doctor about things he was experiencing. The doctors kept telling him that it was because he was old, you just get sick when you're old. You get dizzy when you're old. You're tired when you're old. We all knew this, but his symptoms were more than that - he went from walking two miles a day and being an active gardener to being diagnosed with Addisons and wheelchair bound in less than four months. Also, two of his daughters including me have DH another one had horrible milk allergies as a baby and I've got milk allergies as an adult. The doctors told him that at his age, even if he was Celiac that the diet change would only be a hassle for someone his age. I argued until blue over this as I have heard countless people say that they felt so much better once they changed their diet.

He was never tested and passed away earlier this month. It's very hard because I could look at him and know that if I don't take care of this disease that is what will happen. It's my motivation everyday to be healthier.

home-based-mom Contributor
He was never tested and passed away earlier this month. It's very hard because I could look at him and know that if I don't take care of this disease that is what will happen. It's my motivation everyday to be healthier.
I'm so sorry about your dad. I know how hard it is.

My mom spent the last 2 years of her life in a very nice retirement facility, but no matter how nice the people were and the facilities were, they were beyond clueless when it came to the nutritional needs of the elderly. It was just appalling what type of meals they served. WAY too much spice and salt and fat, and no special anything except low sugar desserts for the diabetic. People were not healthy when they went there - probably due to a lifetime of poor diet - and they got no nutritional assistance while they were there. The thought of eventually living in such a place is terrifying. And it was NICE! God help the people who go into places that aren't so nice!

As far as ignorant comments go, I can't quote any because it has been too long, but I remember even my mom just shaking her head in wonder. They definitely didn't "get it."

EDIT - Wait - I do remember one, although it wasn't celiac related. The people at the front desk would just almost roll on the floor laughing when someone would call looking for their grandmother. If she was fairly new and the front desk person couldn't immediately put a face to the name, she would politely ask what the grandmother looked like. The answer was universally, "She has grey hair and glasses!" :lol::lol::lol::lol: EVERYBODY who lived there had grey hair and glasses! That's why they lived there!!!!!

msmini14 Enthusiast
It's really sad to hear this about a doctor. The last few months ( years for some symptoms ) my father was alive, he kept asking the doctor about things he was experiencing. The doctors kept telling him that it was because he was old, you just get sick when you're old. You get dizzy when you're old. You're tired when you're old. We all knew this, but his symptoms were more than that - he went from walking two miles a day and being an active gardener to being diagnosed with Addisons and wheelchair bound in less than four months. Also, two of his daughters including me have DH another one had horrible milk allergies as a baby and I've got milk allergies as an adult. The doctors told him that at his age, even if he was Celiac that the diet change would only be a hassle for someone his age. I argued until blue over this as I have heard countless people say that they felt so much better once they changed their diet.

I am so sorry to hear about your Dad, what a horrible loss. I always wondered why my Dad ran to the bathroom after he ate and why he was soooo skinny. I lost my Dad too, he was not healthy and he never knew why. He did smoke and everyone thought he was skinny because he had COPD. That wasnt the case, my family is Celiac and it took 2 months of me having horrible symptoms to go to the doctor. I wish he was still alive so I could talk to him about it.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

It never fails to amaze me, how people who are with you everyday, just don't get it!!!! When you think about it, you are with the people you work with, almost as much as family. Yesterday, I walk into our lab (the optician's lab) and there is a jar of Wheat Germ sitting there, and a bag of Organic Pretzels. Why? He tells me he doesn't know why the Wheat Germ is there, then asks me if I can have wheat germ! :( I said, "Julian, what is the very first word on that jar?" He then says, "But, is wheat germ bad for you?" I shook my head and said, "Nope, not if I love being sick!" and I walked away. Later, he picks up the bag of pretzels and he says, "There are the best pretzels, you want to try one Debs!" If looks could kill, he would be dead. He says, "But Debs, they're organic, that means they are the good stuff, can't you eat the good stuff?"

We had a patient earlier who saw my green celiac awareness pin on my lab coat. He asked what it's about. So I explained celiac disease to him. His first question was, "Can you drink beer?" I said, "No, it's made with barley." He says, "Damn, sorry hun, some of us are born brain deficient, you must forgive us!" Now, he hit it right on the head, didn't he!!!!

Calicoe Rookie
My roomate gets so mad at me when I decline the food she makes. I dont know how many times I have explained to her that I cannot eat anything in her pantry.

Yeah, I'm struggling with this one as well. The thing is, I am new at this, and new intolerances are coming up, so they look at me like I'm crazy when new things are added to the list; today it is millet.

As if I'm excluding things I can eat for .... fun???? I am getting to the point where I am not going to explain or justify things anymore and just decline things, or socialize less with them.

I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.

bakingbarb Enthusiast

Your post is making cry so hard. My Dad has been sick for years and he was one of those healthy strong men his whole life. Or so it seemed, he always had terrible gas, he ran to the bathroom and heaven help the person that got in his way and years back he stopped drinking coffee and using ketchup because he thought they hurt his stomach oh and he always had a rash but my step mom always blamed it on stress.

He can't walk now and has very little muscle left in his body, he has an UN-NAMED AUTOIMMUNE DISEASE. It kills me to watch him die this way when I know it could be different. I have mourned his coming death so many times now, he has been there 3 times in the last year. I can barely bring myself to talk to him (I know its backwards) because it feels like every time I talk to him its supposed to be the last. He gets better then he gets worse and we start over again. My oldest brother knows that he himself must be Celiac also and he has so many problems but he isn't consistent not eating wheat. I expect him to follow the same path as our Dad. He told our Dad and there is no way that he will ever hear what is being said because it can't apply.

People think it must be hard to not eat wheat. NO what is hard is watching my father die slowly and painfully. I don't miss wheat ever. I can watch other people eat anything they want in front of me and never ever miss it. Don't get me wrong, at first it was so very hard but not after I realized this is the why? that was happening to my Dad.

Aside from all of this, I still believe there are ignorant people, stupid people and people who mean well but are just clueless. I think it is just hard for people to comprehend and I mean this more for close friends and family. Wheat is so prevalent in our society that they just cannot fathom not eating it so I think when the ask dumb questions it isn't because they are dumb. Its hard for them to understand, thats it plain and simple.

ShayFL Enthusiast

I dont know about my Dad....he died young at 38...self inflicted. But my Mom....always running to the bathroom and she had hashimots and thyroid cancer (both related to Celiac/gluten sensitivity). Some times she didnt make it to the bathroom on time. She knows I have the genes and she knows she gave me at least one of them. So she is very interested in what I am doing with gluten-free, but she makes excuses. I have to travel so much with my job....I have to eat out a lot....blah blah blah. You cannot force anyone. It has to be their decision. So I just inform and let it go.......

My Sister is at least trying to avoid gluten. I know she isnt as anal as me. No one is......LOL But she has noticed less D and her "rash" is clearing up. I told her she should get the "rash" biopsied. She even went to the Dermo. But in the end accepted what he said it was and didnt demand the biopsy. Deep down she knows....but she doesnt want a Dx. But she is trying the diet and getting results. Hopefully she will stick with it!

jparsick84 Rookie
I always say that I can't eat (and sometimes say I'm "allergic") to wheat, barley, rye and oats. I don't think that the majority of people in the US have even heard of gluten, so it's pointless telling people that you can't have it. Obviously, most people don't even know what wheat is in, so they aren't going to know what gluten is in. I'm always surprised when people actually DO know what gluten is.

Yes, I do that too, even to my semi-friends. Saying you're allergic to something puts a different picture in the waiter's head, and then he'll take you more seriously. (Being only 23, being taken seriously is a problem for me). "Allergic" means lawsuit if you screw up - "I'll get sick" means later, something the waiter doesn't have to worry about.

And I can't tell you how many times I've gotten the "Can you have that?" "Yes, but I don't like it." "Oh, but you can have it! Great!" It's like just because I'm putting people to "so much trouble" with the wheat thing that I'm not allowed to dislike foods anymore. Yeah, cause now that the gluten's gone, I'm magically going to start liking peas! (Evil squishy disgusting horrible peas) :)

home-based-mom Contributor

Our culture is obsessed and infested with wheat. People have become brainwashed robots having been told over and over and over that whole grains are good for you, wheat is a grain, therefore whole wheat is good for you. Organic whole wheat is even better! :P

To have to unlearn anything and then relearn it differently is hard for anyone. With something as ingrained (sorry) as this, some people will probably never figure it out.

• 5 months later...
Tallforagirl Rookie

I have to say that since I was confirmed, two weeks ago, I have been suprised how many people already know what Celiac is and understand what it means. Not to say that they understand how intricate it can be as far as cross-contamination and ingredient reading etc, but the basics, most get it. One co-worker has a friend who is a very sensitive Celiac, and she gave me all recomendations on local restaurants, bakeries, what you can and can't have etc, more than what I knew.

My problem I think will be my sister, who is Celiac, diagnosed a number of years ago, but she doesn't follow the diet properly, and cheats every now and then. I think those who already know how she deals with it will expect me to be the same.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I have to say that since I was confirmed, two weeks ago, I have been suprised how many people already know what Celiac is and understand what it means. Not to say that they understand how intricate it can be as far as cross-contamination and ingredient reading etc, but the basics, most get it. One co-worker has a friend who is a very sensitive Celiac, and she gave me all recomendations on local restaurants, bakeries, what you can and can't have etc, more than what I knew.

My problem I think will be my sister, who is Celiac, diagnosed a number of years ago, but she doesn't follow the diet properly, and cheats every now and then. I think those who already know how she deals with it will expect me to be the same.

My reply to that is always that I refuse to play the cancer game with myself, I've seen what happens firsthand. I elaborate if they ask, my father died of leukemia 2 yrs ago. Then they understand that what the other person is doing is wrong, and sometimes they start giving the other person a hard time! It's kinda cool.

oldee Newbie

I am grateful for ignorant comments. I think hearing someone say that my symptoms were from smoking and eating meat was what prompted me to get tested so I could wave the results in people's face the next time.

Ashley Enthusiast

One time, I had this girl ask me if I needed a special sofa to sit on. I've laughed so many times over that question. I don't know what a sofa has to do with gluten, but, okay.

loco-ladi Contributor

Just after I got called "for the trip home from work" I was sitting in the complex (BNSF's bad idea of a cheap hotel for its employees while away from home) not 1 but 2 fellow employees who had been on the other side of the pool (they got daylight runs while I keep getting midnight runs) peeked over my shoulder "wondering" what I could be eating cause they know us celiac disease'ers cant eat "nothing"

Now I dont know about the rest of you but my "nothing" cupboard is starting to get pretty full of yummy stuff, lol

• 3 years later...
Oats Newbie

All though this some of these comments are quite shocking, I can't help but find some of them hilarious at the same time.

But the thing with the spoons and the different serving plates is extremely rude. I really hope people will start to realize that celiac sufferers may react to the smallest traces just like people with extreme cases of nut allergy, which, for some reason, is taken so much more serious. Maybe it's because they cannot really see what is going on inside the body, whilst a swelling of the eyes and throat seem more threatening?

kareng Grand Master

All though this some of these comments are quite shocking, I can't help but find some of them hilarious at the same time.

But the thing with the spoons and the different serving plates is extremely rude. I really hope people will start to realize that celiac sufferers may react to the smallest traces just like people with extreme cases of nut allergy, which, for some reason, is taken so much more serious. Maybe it's because they cannot really see what is going on inside the body, whilst a swelling of the eyes and throat seem more threatening?

You are responding to a 3 yer old thread. The original posters are probably not around anymore.

upwitht21 Rookie

But thanks for bumping this up I Throughly enjoyed reading lol!

Archived