This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Simply Organic Vanilla Extract- Gluten Free Or Not?

littlelymie19

littlelymie19 Rookie

Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking for a while, but decided to finally post today because I'm feeling a little uneasy about something I just ate, and I knew some of you would be able to clear up my concern.

I usually eat the same exact thing everyday, because I'm so sensitive and so limited (countless number of food sensitivities). Today though, I decided to live a little and add a bit of vanilla extract to my Bob Redmilll Brown Rice Farina.

I'm nervous about the brand I used though, because it doesn't say "Gluten Free" on the label. I used Simply Organic's Vanilla Extract. Does anyone know if that's gluten free?

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

It might depend on what type of alcohol is used in the extract. Usually its distilled so it should not be a problem but

there is the potential for contamination. It's probably a good idea to check with the company to be sure.

Please let us know what you find out

ken

Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking for a while, but decided to finally post today because I'm feeling a little uneasy about something I just ate, and I knew some of you would be able to clear up my concern.

I usually eat the same exact thing everyday, because I'm so sensitive and so limited (countless number of food sensitivities). Today though, I decided to live a little and add a bit of vanilla extract to my Bob Redmilll Brown Rice Farina.

I'm nervous about the brand I used though, because it doesn't say "Gluten Free" on the label. I used Simply Organic's Vanilla Extract. Does anyone know if that's gluten free?

Thank you!

oceangirl Collaborator

Well, I ditched all my simply organic herbs because it seemed they couldn't guarantee things were gluten-free. But, hopefully, they are.

Please let us know how you feel and I hope you feel well.

lisa

Lisa Mentor

I could not find an allergen statement on their website. I think that it would be doubtful that it contained gluten, but as Ken stated, it's always good to call the company.

Wheat by law must be listed on the ingredient listing or listed in an allergen statement on the bottle. It is unlikely that barley, malt or rye would be an ingredient.

I use McCormicks.

oceangirl Collaborator

Yes,

I, too, use McCormick's! No problems.

lisa

littlelymie19 Rookie

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So, the verdict is....

not safe.

For me at least, Simply Organic Vanilla Extract caused a reaction. My digestive system is NOT right today :(

So next time, McCormick's it is!

CaraLouise Explorer

Here is the company response from Simply Organic:

Thank you for your inquiry. Frontier is not an allergen free facility, thus

we do not state that any of our products are allergen free. We follow

strict GMPs (Good Manufacturing Practices) to minimize the potential for

cross-contamination, but do not test for the presence of allergens in our

final products.

Gluten is present in our facility, so we are not able to state positively

that our products are gluten-free. We do have full ingredient disclosure on

our products.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Have a

great day!

Mary L. Bunting

Customer Care

Frontier Natural Products COOP

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Nope, I wouldn't buy it either and won't in the future, to include all of there products. Pitty <_<

jerseyangel Proficient

Me either.....

I'll stick with McCormick-it ain't broke, so I won't fix it :D

RiceGuy Collaborator

Just a thought here. I asked McCormick what the source of the alcohol in their vanilla extract is, and they said it was synthetic, and refused to specify further.

For anyone who can't have potato, I suppose vodka could be a problem, and that's what's usually suggested for making vanilla extract at home. I don't know if any companies use vodka.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I also use McCormick--never had a problem.

oceangirl Collaborator

I used to make my own vanilla at home until I discovered the beans I was getting at the health food store were cured in bourbon. (gluten?) So... I'm also curious about the beans themselves.....

lisa

Lisa Mentor
Just a thought here. I asked McCormick what the source of the alcohol in their vanilla extract is, and they said it was synthetic, and refused to specify further.

For anyone who can't have potato, I suppose vodka could be a problem, and that's what's usually suggested for making vanilla extract at home. I don't know if any companies use vodka.

Rice Guy, wouldn't synthetic be non-organic?

jerseyangel Proficient

That's what I thought.

kenlove Rising Star

A lot of the beans are not cured artificially although I guess it depends on where they come from.

When I harvest mine, I just let them dry out naturally, about a month or so.

Slice them the long way and stick 3 or 4 in a bottle of vodka or shochu ( distilled white liquor from Japan).

Takes about a year for the full effect but the results are worth the wait. It's amazing how fast you can go through a fifth of extract when you dont have to spend a lot on small bottles.

Ken

RiceGuy Collaborator
I used to make my own vanilla at home until I discovered the beans I was getting at the health food store were cured in bourbon. (gluten?) So... I'm also curious about the beans themselves.....

lisa

Bourbon Madagascar vanilla beans are supposedly the most popular variety. The word "Bourbon" in this case is referring to the place of origin, not the method of any processing. They're just dried, not cured in alcohol AFAIK.

Right. That's part of my point. The alcohol might be made from something like potato. So even if it's not from a gluten-containing grain, it could still be a no-no.

Lisa Mentor

Question? Is all consumable alcohol distilled? (aside from wines and beers) Wouldn't a potato source for the alcohol be considered organic?

If all consumable alcohol is distilled, and the distillation process is said to remove the offending protein, then all consumable alcohol is considered a safe level for Celiacs, regardless of the source. (other than the super sensitive)

So, I would assume that a synthetic alcohol (as in McCormicks) is a non-organic source, and equally safe for Celiacs to consume. They also list all forms of gluten on the ingredient listing. No gluten is listed.

Rice Guy, are saying that potato sourced alcohol is not safe, regardless of the distillation, to those with potato issues? I honestly don't know? :):unsure:

littlelymie19 Rookie

I just thought I'd chime in and update everyone again, since you guys are keeping the thread going (thank you for that!).

I've tried a couple other vanilla flavored things over the past couple of days. I tried Westsoy unsweetened vanilla soy milk, different vanilla extract, etc. and I reacted to all things flavored vanilla.

I'm thinking the it may have to do with the form of processing and the origin of the other components of the vanilla, like you all are talking about.

No vanilla for me then, I suppose! I can't do chocolate, sugar, or anything that really has a yummy flavor for that matter (of course I'm exaggerating, but really I am quite limited)....so I suppose I'll just stick to my pink himalayan salt!

Thanks everyone, I'll keep checking this thread :)

Goose Newbie

yes, not organic (by organic I mean plant-derived) ... probably just industrial grade ethanol. FYI, ethanol is actually a bi-product at some point in fossil fuel processing, if my memory from class is correct.

Goose Newbie

And Momma Goose, you should be a chemist ;)

RiceGuy Collaborator
Rice Guy, are saying that potato sourced alcohol is not safe, regardless of the distillation, to those with potato issues? I honestly don't know? :):unsure:

I think it probably depends on a person's sensitivity. I haven't seen any definitive data on potato derived alcohol, and what trace components there may be.

For those sensitive to alcohol in general, consider trying ground or powdered vanilla, or a non-alcohol one such as the ones made by Spicery Shoppe.

Lisa Mentor
And Momma Goose, you should be a chemist ;)

Hi baby girl. Nice of you to visit and add your expertise ;):D

JennyC Enthusiast

I use Rodelle pure vanilla extract. It is pricey ($12/bottle) but it is delicious and it SAYS GLUTEN FREE right on the bottle. Also I was watching Good Eats on the Food Network and I guess many of the artificial vanilla extracts can actually be derived from wood products! :huh:

Any distilled alcohol should be safe. It's nearly impossible for gluten (a protein) to distill with alcohol. Distillation separates compounds based on their boiling point, and alcohol and a MUCH lower boiling point than protein.

Also, I think the FDA organic has more to do with pesticide use and processing methods. I'm not really sure if it means natural products.

• 3 years later...
coffeygrande Newbie

For what it's worth, Simply Organic is offering many gluten-free products now. Open Original Shared Link

Archived