This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Anything To Watch Out For At The Dentist?

Yenni

Yenni Enthusiast

I am going to the dentist the first time after getting my diagnosis and I was told by the receptionist that I have nothing to worry about (her niece has Celiac disease so she knew what it was). I mentioned I have problems with other stuff than just gluten (and mentioned what) and she said they do not use any of it in the process.

...but then I am used to people no really knowing how this all works so I thought I'd ask if there is anything to watch out for? If anyone know about stuff that might make a Celiac sick while at the dentist?

I am intolerant to Casein and Soy also.

(In wasn't quite sure in which forum to post this, so feel free to move it to it's proper spot if this was wrong.)

Yenni

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

The two biggest concerns are the toothpolish and the topical they use before they inject the novacaine. You should make very sure that they actually check the products that they are using. Too often they just assume everything is okay. Even mold material can be a risk, when I was having crowns done the dentist checked every item and there was only one of the molding materials in the office that they could use on me. Also make sure they use nonpowdered gloves.

Green Eyes Rookie

I called in advance to the dentist office and they actually called the manufacturing company to check on everything. They were wonderful about it!!!! I think the key was giving them time to actually check.

Now it is in my file and I will only have to do reminders along the way.

Jennifer

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

That's awesome that your dentist took the time to call and put it in your file. I've discussed products at length with my dentist and they've called all their manufacturuers and the only thing questionable that we've ever come up with is the baking soda pressure wash stuff they use for cleanings. The issue was not necessarily that it had gluten as an ingredient but that it was made in Europe and they couldn't verify so they choose to use the pumice. I've had tons of dental work (crowns, implants, fillings, tissue grafts) and never had any issues.

kbtoyssni Contributor

I just got a new dentist and the toothpolishing stuff said gluten-free right on the box! I was quite surprised.

SacGFGirl Explorer

I hadn't even considered the dentist as a place to be concerned about gluten free issues until I read an article in the most recent edition of Living Without yesterday. I'm going to call my dentist and inquire so I know before my next appointment.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Just a note, even if they put it in your chart or mark it in bold black on the outside of the file (like my dd's)--still call a week in advance to remind them because if the file doesn't get pulled until the day of (paper or electronic), there may be an issue.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Tim-n-VA Contributor

Apologies to anyone who has seen this question from me before but can anyone name a specific dental product that defninitely has gluten? There is a list on a website somewhere but everything fell into the "no gluten" or "can't guarantee what our suppliers do" CYA statements.

Having just one would make it a lot easier to deal with people who are dismissive of gluten concerns.

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

Yes, what Tim says. For those of you who had dentists that checked, would you mind posting the brands they are using that are gluten free? Thanks.

kbtoyssni Contributor
Yes, what Tim says. For those of you who had dentists that checked, would you mind posting the brands they are using that are gluten free? Thanks.

I tried to remember what the name of the brand my dentist uses, but I forgot... Can I blame this on brain fog?? :P

Yenni Enthusiast

Thank you everyone for your replies!

The person I talked to sounded so sure that I think they might not check. <_< I am wondering if she is actually sure or just assumes.

happygirl Collaborator

This may help:

Open Original Shared Link .com/Dental_Products.html

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

I'll add Oraquix to the list and also this list from Clan Thompson.

Dental Products

• 3-M Multi-Cure Glass Ionomer Band Cement: Manufactured by 3-M Dental Products, Orthodontic. Gluten Free: Yes. Vegetarian: Unknown. Verified: 11/28/07.
  • 3-M Transbond XT Primer: Manufactured by 3-M Dental Products, Orthodontic. Gluten Free: Yes. Vegetarian: Unknown. Verified: 11/28/07.
  • Delton FS Sealant, Plus Sealant or FS Plus Sealant: Manufactured by Dentsply. Gluten Free: Yes. Vegetarian: Unknown. Verified: 11/14/2007. Comment: Company says all of their products are gluten free.
  • Nupro Flouride Gel (APF and neutral gel): Manufactured by Dentsply. Gluten Free: Yes. Vegetarian: Unknown. Verified: 11/14/2007. Comment: Company says all of their products are gluten free.
  • Oris Irrigating Solution: Manufactured by Dentsply. Gluten Free: Yes. Vegetarian: Unknown. Verified: 11/14/2007. Comment: Company says all of their products are gluten free.

Jenny (AZ via TX) Enthusiast

Thanks for posting actual products! :D

bakingbarb Enthusiast
Thanks for posting actual products! :D

Yes thank you for posting that info, I hope to be going soon. I don't have a dentist yet so am I hoping I get one that is helpful.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

The 'without the wheat' link is a good site but when you click on the link you will need to add the .com ending after the page comes up telling you the link can't be found. I really appretiate your posting this and I have added it to my favorites.

happygirl Collaborator

RWG- You are welcome. I had to post it that way - otherwise, it turned into LameAd.

Tim-n-VA Contributor
Thank you everyone for your replies!

The person I talked to sounded so sure that I think they might not check. <_< I am wondering if she is actually sure or just assumes.

That is exactly my experience. I asked the dentist and a few months later I asked the hygienist. Both said that gluten was not a problem. Not sure how carefully they checked. That is why I've asked on almost every dental thread for the past year or so for one specific dental product by brand that has gluten to use to start the discussion again. The comment above is the first time anyone has said they've found a product with gluten.

The list linked to is nice to use to select a product but it was all either "gluten-free" or companies giving a CYA statemetn about not being able to guarantee their suppliers, etc.

Yenni Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Tim, I too have been searching for a specific product that has gluten and I have yet to find one either. I am curious about the molding material ravenwoodglass mentioned. 3M is the only brand I've seen used for any of the molding/impression material so far.

Archived