This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mccormick's Chili Powder ?

SGWhiskers

SGWhiskers Collaborator

The label says several safe ingredients, then "spices". I know that mixed "spices" can be a red flag, but then I keep hearing McCormick's is safe. So, What is the verdict on McCormics "spices" as an ingredient in one of their bottled spices? It is the same size/shape as all my pure spices from McCormics in the little glass bottles.

Chili is in the crock pot waiting for some oomph for tomorrow's lunch time guests.

Thanks all you experienced Celiac's.

Oh! and SIL bought a gluten free apple pie for tomorrow from a speciality bakery near her house! I LOVE pie and have not had it in a year. Think she will let me eat it all myself? Maybe no one else will like it. A girl can dream....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Couldn't find anything on the "spices" McCormick's website, but here is another post about their chili powder.

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=62283

and McCormick's is good about listing wheat...not sure about gluten.

GottaSki Mentor

oops that was for taco seasoning :(

psawyer Proficient

McCormick will clearly disclose by name any gluten grain present. If you don't see any of the words "wheat," "rye," "barley," or "oats" then none of them are present in the product. :)

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

I use to use McCormick's Chili Powder all the time when my husband and I made Tacos yummmm. The only reason I stopped using it was b/c I went Nightshade Free. I never had a problem though gluten wise with the Chili Powder.

nasalady Contributor

McCormick's Chili Powder is safe....I use it all the time. McCormick's Chili Seasoning is different, and I've heard it may be problematic.

haleym Contributor

If you go to their website, you can click on contact us, then they have a list of FAQs. They have a thing about gluten about 5 or 6 questions down. I looked to check on their fajita mix that I am going to have tonight! :) I was wondering specifically about maltodextrin since it has ''malt'' in it, but I read that in the US its almost always made from corn or rice.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient
I was wondering specifically about maltodextrin since it has ''malt'' in it, but I read that in the US its almost always made from corn or rice.
If it is made from a gluten grain, it will be labeled as such. It is rarely derived from wheat, and in that case it must be labeled either as "wheat maltodextrin" or "maltodextrin (wheat)." If you see the single word "maltodextrin" it is not a source of gluten.
SGWhiskers Collaborator

thank you so much for your posts. The chili was great and I'm back to using it again. (I had it on my suspect list after a couple bad reactions, but I later put the cc'ed corn chips at the top of that list).

• 8 years later...
rweills Newbie

McCormick's Spices...I've recently tried McCormick's Gluten free Taco Seasoning mix two different times now (in 2018) and both times I have encounter issues of getting ill from them. Although they listed it as Gluten free I still became sick. Not real sure what is going on in their facility but I think I will stick with more certified areas for myself.

cyclinglady Grand Master
22 minutes ago, rweills said:

McCormick's Spices...I've recently tried McCormick's Gluten free Taco Seasoning mix two different times now (in 2018) and both times I have encounter issues of getting ill from them. Although they listed it as Gluten free I still became sick. Not real sure what is going on in their facility but I think I will stick with more certified areas for myself.

Gluten might not be the issue.  I do use McCormick dill and pumpkin spice.  I use Stubbs chili mix (seasonings) and rubs  which are certified gluten-free.    Hubby can eat foods prepared with them, but I can not.  I have an issue with peppers, onions and garlic despite being completely healed (reacent biopsy) from celiac disease.  I did get back lactose though!  ?

Edited by cyclinglady
  • 2 years later...
AnnetteD Newbie

I have been very sick using McKormick's Chili Powder. Don't use if you are sensitice.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Does this chili powder have "gluten-free" on the label? Just curious, because I've never had issues with their spices.