This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Getting Fed Up And Tired Of It.

conniebky

conniebky Collaborator

Hi you all. If I accidently ingested gluten (dry mustard) and had 3 bowls of corn chex in two days, could I still be having a reaction?

The corn chex says gluten free. I was doing so good but have felt like crap for this being the second day. I'm achy, I've slept for 12 hours the past two days, my muscles hurt and I just all around don't feel good.

Anxiety is also part of the reactions that I have and now I'm freaking myself out that there's something horribly wrong with me because I expected to wake up feeling better today. I'm naseaous however you spell that....and feel all freaky and weak and just nasty.

My tummy is not doing much, but that was never really one of my problems, although it reared it's ugly head as soon as that dry mustard hit. That part has subsided, but now I feel like mentioned above.

Why would I still feel bad two days later? I've been throwin' down on those corn chex, I don't know...what do you all think? My mind is racing with horrid thoughts of horrid things being wrong with me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

I'm sorry that you're feeling so aweful:( I used to feel sick for an average of 3 days after being glutened. Occasionally a full week or more. After a certain period of time I litterally felt like a switch had turned off and instantly started to feel better-not always but sometimes. Sounds wierd I know, but I like to think that it was my immune sytem calling off the attack.

As for the mustard, I used to double dip my measuring spoons in multiple ingredients while cooking and baking so some of my spices were CC'd with flour I knew even if I couldn't see it. I tossed them and started with new. I had one that got me and I knew it was originally gluten-free. So that's another problem to consider beyond just if your mustard is gluten-free. It is possible to be allergic to mustard too. It's on my list of allergens that I reacted to.

Sorry to give you more to question. Hope it helps you get to the bottom of things.

When that anxiety kicks in keep feeding your mind with positive thoughts. Don't let those negative ones take hold!

Philippa Rookie

Corn is a common allergen. Do you know that you're ok with corn? If you are still feeling sick from the gluten, I'd try to eat all things that are familiar to you that you know are ok.

I would think that if you ingested gluten in the dry mustard, you could still suffer the effects 2 days later. Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon.

Anxiety is part of my gluten reaction too and it's no fun. Hang in there!

lovegrov Collaborator

Was your dry mustard cross contaminated? Did it list wheat?

richard

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Hi you all. If I accidently ingested gluten (dry mustard) and had 3 bowls of corn chex in two days, could I still be having a reaction?

The corn chex says gluten free. I was doing so good but have felt like crap for this being the second day. I'm achy, I've slept for 12 hours the past two days, my muscles hurt and I just all around don't feel good.

Anxiety is also part of the reactions that I have and now I'm freaking myself out that there's something horribly wrong with me because I expected to wake up feeling better today. I'm naseaous however you spell that....and feel all freaky and weak and just nasty.

My tummy is not doing much, but that was never really one of my problems, although it reared it's ugly head as soon as that dry mustard hit. That part has subsided, but now I feel like mentioned above.

Why would I still feel bad two days later? I've been throwin' down on those corn chex, I don't know...what do you all think? My mind is racing with horrid thoughts of horrid things being wrong with me.

I'm so sorry you are still feeling bad. It takes me almost a week to recover from being glutened. However, something you might want to consider is that corn chex and milk (if you are eating it with milk) may not be helping you. I cannot eat corn chex because (last time I checked) they have soy ingredients. Soy makes me achy all over, nauseaus, and run down, I get headaches from it too. And to eat something with milk after being cc'd would only make my stomach symptoms worse. You really need to consider cutting out soy and dairy. I know it's hard, but when you start to feel better it is so worth it. I hope you can feel better soon!

conniebky Collaborator

Was your dry mustard cross contaminated? Did it list wheat?

richard

I don't know! I had put it in one of my spice jars a long time ago, I don't even know what brand it is. I looked up Coleman's and it had only one ingredient "mustard flour".

lynnelise Apprentice

I think it's common to feel bad for several days after ingesting gluten. It usually takes me a week to stop feeling achy and fatigued. Most stomach issues usually subside within a day for me (except bloating). Try not to freak out! This is normal! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I get anxious when I'm glutened too. It takes at least three days for symptoms to subside, sometimes longer. You'll feel better soon.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It can take some time for the reaction to pass. Since you are early into the diet it might be a good idea to aviod dairy and soy for a bit until you are healed fully then add them in one at a time and check for a reaction.

The time for the reaction to resolve can vary from a few days to a month. Unfortuanately I fall into the month catagory. I get an upset tummy 3 days after injestion but my joint and neuro issues take almost a month to resolve. Most do get over it sooner. The antibodies do take some time to go away and especially early on a CC or accidental full injestion can cause them to spike right up and cause us even more misery than before we were diagnosed.

txplowgirl Enthusiast

Connie,

There are a lot of people on here who have problems with the gluten free chex cereals. Due to sharing product lines. Including me. This may be a possibility for you too. Use the search box for chex cereals and you will get a lot of discussions about them. Hope you get to feeling better.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I can't eat the chex cereals either. I stick with not processed foods. For spices, I just use the fresh ones that I can wash first. Glutening used to always last me a week or so. Now I can get over it within a day.

zergcoffeebean Newbie

I'm sorry that you're feeling so rotten.

I haven't tried chex cereals, but I have read on these boards that many people do react to them. Might be a good idea to cut it out for at least a little while to make sure it's not what is making you sick.

Condiments, especially shared items with gluten eaters have such a high risk of cc, it's best to have your own. If you're living in a gluten-free household there could be something in the mustard that you're also sensitive to (If you know it's gluten-free).

I've been gluten-free now for almost 3 months and I've been glutened many times. It takes me about a week to recover from it. And I find any processed food is just a no-go for me. Most refined grains and really sugary things in general (just the bloodsugar spikes are pretty crazy). Stick to raw foods and whole foods and keep eating. I know some of us, when we feel sick the temptation is to not eat. Who wants to eat when you feel sore and sick to the stomach? But to get all that gluten out of your system you need to eat.

Best of luck to you.

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

Soft foods, juices and benedryl make me feel better after a mistake. Corn is hard to digest, I would avoid that and go for things like eggs, bananas, apple sauce, green beans, checken breast. Hope this helps, RA

conniebky Collaborator

Soft foods, juices and benedryl make me feel better after a mistake. Corn is hard to digest, I would avoid that and go for things like eggs, bananas, apple sauce, green beans, checken breast. Hope this helps, RA

Benadryl? I was wondering about using Benadryl, I mean after all, if it's an allergic reaction............... what's the skinny on that?

ianm Apprentice

I've had some problems with the supposedly gluten free Chex cereals myself and don't eat them anymore.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Benadryl? I was wondering about using Benadryl, I mean after all, if it's an allergic reaction............... what's the skinny on that?

If you are having true allergy reactions it might be helpful. However celiac is not an allergy it is autoimmune reaction/ intolerance there is a big difference between the two.

Archived