This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can I Decontaminate My Cooking Utensils With Alcohol?

jackay

jackay Enthusiast

Is it possible to decontaminate my bread machine, colander, measuring cups and spoons, bowls, etc. with rubbing alcohol? I read that alcohol is the only thing that breaks down gluten so was wondering about this. It would be nice to not have to replace everything.

I really don't want the expense of a new bread machine. It would be nice to use a lot of my kitchen utensils that are taking up space in my cupboards. If I can't decontaminate them, I'll just have to get rid of them to make space for new ones. I don't like what that is going to do to my pocketbook:(

I've been gluten free for a while now but am just getting to the stage where I feel like doing more cooking and baking. I've bought gluten free flour and mixes but haven't used any of them yet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

knittingmonkey Newbie

Is it possible to decontaminate my bread machine, colander, measuring cups and spoons, bowls, etc. with rubbing alcohol?

I was talking with a friend who is a luthier just a few days ago, and somehow the subject of dissolving glue came about. He told me when a luthier wants to re-glue an instrument for repair, that they dissolve the first gluing by applying fresh pineapple juice. Then we moved onto how gelatine won't set with fresh pineapple or ginger in the mix, because their enzymes (Bromelain?) dizzolve the protein bonds. That protein though is animal-based, as both gelatin and white glue are made from hooves and other body parts, so I don't know if it would work on the plant-based proteins like gluten.

Not being much of a baker; Is there a substance which makes wheat bread dough fall apart? I would think that would do the trick. How about that enzyme they sell in capsules in the health food store for digesting gluten? Oh yes... Gliadin.

Guess what? If I had a bread machine I wanted to decontaminate, and someone like me told me to soak the parts in gliadin, I'd be very dubious, not wanting to take chances here, too many gluten anxieties. Your question is a very good one, thanks for making me think today.

psawyer Proficient

Um, gliadin is the prolamine in wheat which we commonly call gluten. Perhaps you were thinking of Open Original Shared Link This is not to endorse that product (I don't), merely to try and clarify what the poster meant.

Jestgar Rising Star

I wouldn't trust cleaning wood, but your other stuff - plastics should clean pretty easily, metals maybe a little more scrubbing. I think I would take apart the bread machine (whatever pieces come out) scrub it to within an inch of it's life, soak all the bits in vodka, and scrub then again. same with the inside.

I think it should work...

psawyer Proficient

Afterthought: If alcohol denatures gluten, how come we can't drink beer? :huh:

jackay Enthusiast

We, or should I say I, can't drink beer because I absolutely HATE THAT STUFF! Can't even stand the smell of it. I'm lucky with that since it was one thing I didn't have to give up:)

jackay Enthusiast

The simple question I have for you is; how good a dishwasher are you? Don't trust your automatic dishwasher. Do things by hand. If you still have wheat/gluten in the kitchen, use a separate counter top, if you have the space for it to do wheat and gluten-free baking. Prep your stuff first and then do the wheat baking.

I hand wash most dishes before putting them in my dishwasher. Big pots and pans sometimes don't go in the dishwasher. I have a separate scrubby for them and use paper towels for dishclothes and dishtowels. I got a new non-stick frying pan. I also got a pan at a thrift store for cooking wheat pasta for my husband. It is a different style than my set of pots and pans so we definitely know which one to use for wheat.

I won't let my husband mix anything with wheat flour in our kitchen. I told him he could mix up cookies out on the picnic table and then bring them in to bake. The picnic table doesn't get used for eating anymore. Well, that must be too much work for dear old hubby because he hasn't done that yet.

Do you eat out? Well, guess what, they reuse utensils that have been washed. Have you completely replaced all of your plates? I doubt it.

I do not eat out but have had coffee in restaurants. I do get apprehensive about cc with that but so far have been safe. I don't eat or drink anything other than what I prepare myself at friends and relatives homes. That is just too risky. It is a hassle always having to bring my own food, but not as much of a hassle as getting sick again.

I may give my bread maker a thorough cleaning and wipe it down with alcohol. I can try a loaf of bread and if I get sick from it, will know that I need to get rid of the bread maker. I haven't had bread in such a long time and really do fine living without it. I do have a loaf of Udi's in the freezer but haven't tried it yet.

I really feel my system can handle germs and bacteria better than it can handle gluten. In fact, I consider gluten "my" germ.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

It doesn't denature it. Gluten is soluble in alcohol and, in theory, will be solubilized off the surface of what you are cleaning. So your beer is chock-full of well solubilized gluten that will happily taunt your digestive tract into tantrums.

jerseyangel Proficient

It doesn't denature it. Gluten is soluble in alcohol and, in theory, will be solubilized off the surface of what you are cleaning. So your beer is chock-full of well solubilized gluten that will happily taunt your digestive tract into tantrums.

Glad to finally get the scoop on that!

To the original question, I would give all the utensils a good scrubbing with warm soapy water, rinse off, and run through the dishwasher. They should be fine--except for any wooden ones and the collendar. As for the breadmaker--my personal feeling is not to use it for gluten-free breads. I wouldn't feel comfortable but you could try Jestgar's method and see if it does the trick.

celiac-mommy Collaborator

Well, personally I like to decontaminate my digestive tract with vodka ;)

Jestgar Rising Star

hmmm, would that rinse everything out do ya think? :lol: :lol:

psawyer Proficient

CHEERS!

Martini1-1.webp

celiac-mommy Collaborator

hmmm, would that rinse everything out do ya think? :lol: :lol:

Well, if you rinse really, REALLY well, you at least forget that there's still gluten in there :lol: :lol:

jerseyangel Proficient

Well, if you rinse really, REALLY well, you at least forget that there's still gluten in there :lol: :lol:

Wow--ya really think so? :lol:

jackay Enthusiast

I second that one. After not having any alcohol for quite a few years, I went and bought myself a bottle of Bicardi rum since I read that is gluten free. Added it to my rhubarb/strawberry slushes and boy is that a treat:)

Archived