This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Carbs Make Me Feel Lousy

sandsurfgirl

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I'm finding that as I get healthier and my diet gets cleaner I feel icky when I eat heavy carbs like gluten free breads, gluten free cookies, etc. I don't feel particularly sick like a glutening does, but it just seems to sit in my stomach, hard to digest and overall blah.

I made gluten free pizza tonight and I'm up late with bloating. It also is likely the cheese. I don't do dairy too well.

I'm considering just giving up all of those things for the most part. It's not like gluten free white bread or gluten free pretzels and crackers are healthy for us anyway. I'm starting to lose my tolerance for feeling crappy because I'm getting used to feeling good. The foods just aren't worth it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tmbarke Apprentice

Sand,

I can relate very well with you.

Good thing I'm a veggie lover!

I have been cooking the Specific Carb Diet lately and have had some very good results.

The first link explains what and why for the diet

The second link has some recipes I've tried.....but HIGHLY recommend the Lasagna made with sliced zucchini in place of pasta (I used Classico spaghetti sauce instead of Tomato juice and tomatoes)

I think you'll find some great recipes here to try - and still be healthy.

Tena

Open Original Shared Link

Jestgar Rising Star

I'm super carb light, mainly meat and veggies. When I need some starchy carbs, I will crave them. I eat a cup or less of brown rice a day for a week and then I'm good with the carbs for a month or so.

If it feels good - do it!

bluebonnet Explorer

i feel the same way eating much of those kinds of foods. if i balance my carbs (like potatoes, chickpeas, rice, quinoa, etc) with some protein i feel great. but if i eat too much of them on their own i feel that same "sittin in there" feeling you do.

but i sure miss me a good slice of pizza. :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Count me in too. I feel best when I avoid anything made with gluten-free flours. I've cut way back on sugar, too.

Luckily, I tolerate sweet and white potatoes, so I still have some "starch".

tmbarke Apprentice

This is a low carb pizza recipe! no flour!

I use classico spaghetti sauce or alfredo sauce in place of the pizza sauce (Dia Frettelli?) is way too salty!

I don't miss Pizza no more!

Hugs to all

Tena

jerseyangel Proficient

This is a low carb pizza recipe! no flour!

I use classico spaghetti sauce or alfredo sauce in place of the pizza sauce (Dia Frettelli?) is way too salty!

I don't miss Pizza no more!

Hugs to all

Tena

That looks good!!

I do one that uses 4 cups of shredded zucchini, 2 eggs, and a cup each of shredded cheddar and mozzarella. Just mix well, spread onto pizza pan, bake at 400 for 10 minutes. Add toppings and bake for another 30 minutes. I don't put much cheese on top--just a little grated pecorino romano, sausage, olives, and tomato sauce.

It's really good--my husband, who has no food restrictions at all, asks me to make it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tmbarke Apprentice

That looks good!!

I do one that uses 4 cups of shredded zucchini, 2 eggs, and a cup each of shredded cheddar and mozzarella. Just mix well, spread onto pizza pan, bake at 400 for 10 minutes. Add toppings and bake for another 30 minutes. I don't put much cheese on top--just a little grated pecorino romano, sausage, olives, and tomato sauce.

It's really good--my husband, who has no food restrictions at all, asks me to make it!

Oh that sounds like heaven! Thank You!rolleyes.gif

bluebonnet Explorer

oh my gosh that looks and sounds awesome! i printed it out so i can make it this weekend ... thanks!!! :)

i-geek Rookie

I can't eat a lot of refined carbs. They mess with my blood sugar and metabolism. I tend toward reactive hypoglycemia, so if I eat something sugary with no protein/fat to balance it out, I will be a shaky, dizzy, sweaty mess in a couple of hours. I love quinoa and brown rice as sides since they have some protein and fiber to balance out the carbs. I also find that a baked potato helps a lot with PMS starch cravings and since it has some fiber and other nutrients, it's not just an empty pile of carbs. I can load it up with butter and salt and that helps with the salt+fat cravings as well.

As for pizza sauce: we've been making our own for a couple of years. All it takes is a can of crushed tomatoes, a splash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, a minced garlic clove, a little salt, pepper and some dried herbs. Simmer it down in a sauce pan until it's thickened somewhat.

When I first got diagnosed I used to read people's posts about having trouble with all starchy carbs. I freaked out! I was so worried that would happen to me. But I also think we are hyper aware. In the past I would have chalked up the discomfort to overeating or something and lived with it.

I just have no tolerance anymore for bloating and gas. LOL

I think everyone would benefit from a more clean diet anyway. Last night I had trouble sleeping from the bloating and this morning all I ate was watermelon to clean my poor gut.

I did eat 3 small squares of of pizza which doesn't help. I should have had one or even half just to taste it.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I have the same thing going on and I've just learned to be okay with it. I would rather feel good and healthy than eat whatever I want. I don't have much problems with carby veggies like whole kernel corn, potatoes, or sweet potatoes and for grains I eat mainly rice. But I do stick with meat and veggies for most of my meals. When I'm really craving bread or pasta I will have potatoes or rice and even though these things don't taste the same, they don't make me sick either and the cravings will go away. I also can't do anything really sugary. I only use honey as a sweetner right now. I may play with using molasses or pure maple syrup in the future, but right now a little honey in some yogurt mixed with berries is all the dessert I need. I am playing with baking a little, but I try to limit myself to only trying one new thing every two weeks or so.

twe0708 Community Regular

I'm finding that as I get healthier and my diet gets cleaner I feel icky when I eat heavy carbs like gluten free breads, gluten free cookies, etc. I don't feel particularly sick like a glutening does, but it just seems to sit in my stomach, hard to digest and overall blah.

I made gluten free pizza tonight and I'm up late with bloating. It also is likely the cheese. I don't do dairy too well.

I'm considering just giving up all of those things for the most part. It's not like gluten free white bread or gluten free pretzels and crackers are healthy for us anyway. I'm starting to lose my tolerance for feeling crappy because I'm getting used to feeling good. The foods just aren't worth it.

Try eating something that has protein in it to balance it out. If I eat something with mostly carbs it messes me up. If I have a meal that is half carbs and half protein, I do just fine.

sb2178 Enthusiast

I've found that sorghum flour is likely a problem (serious tummy aches). Argh... will have to try it again at some point. This probably explains why commercial AND homemade gluten-free cookies have not gone over well so far. Don't know if that is sorghum itself or contamination. Thoughts?

But I do just fine with veg-based carbs, beans, and small amounts of cornmeal, millet, rice, and buckwheat. I just generally try to eat them with generous amounts of produce and some protein to keep glucose/insulin stable and hunger in check.

Just to let all us new folk know that not everyone has lots of issues beyond gluten!

i-geek Rookie

When I first got diagnosed I used to read people's posts about having trouble with all starchy carbs. I freaked out! I was so worried that would happen to me. But I also think we are hyper aware. In the past I would have chalked up the discomfort to overeating or something and lived with it.

I just have no tolerance anymore for bloating and gas. LOL

I think everyone would benefit from a more clean diet anyway. Last night I had trouble sleeping from the bloating and this morning all I ate was watermelon to clean my poor gut.

I did eat 3 small squares of of pizza which doesn't help. I should have had one or even half just to taste it.

I've had the blood sugar issues for years, but I'm definitely noticing the bloating from sugars more now.

sb2178, watch out for tapioca starch too. That one upsets my stomach. I thought it was the sorghum but I stopped having problems when I switched to baking without tapioca starch (sub in arrowroot starch or all potato starch). Of course I rarely eat gluten-free baked goods now so maybe I just don't notice problems from smaller amounts of the flours.

Tapioca makes my mouth tingle and my nose gets stuffy. So I'm limted on gluten free brands.

jerseyangel Proficient

I can't do tapioca either.

jenngolightly Contributor

No more carbs for me either. Since I cut those out I have more energy, fewer headaches, clearer sinuses, and no more bloating.

Good luck - and find substitutes that are yummy! Blueberries are my new favorite snack. Especially frozen! It's hot-hot-hot outside these days.

Takala Enthusiast

I've found that sorghum flour is likely a problem (serious tummy aches). Argh... will have to try it again at some point. This probably explains why commercial AND homemade gluten-free cookies have not gone over well so far. Don't know if that is sorghum itself or contamination. Thoughts?

But I do just fine with veg-based carbs, beans, and small amounts of cornmeal, millet, rice, and buckwheat. I just generally try to eat them with generous amounts of produce and some protein to keep glucose/insulin stable and hunger in check.

Just to let all us new folk know that not everyone has lots of issues beyond gluten!

Seems like most of us have at least one if not multiple reactions to the gluten free substitutes. I don't do well with flax- I can eat it in very small quantities but it goes thru too fast- and that sawdust like substance is in everything that is touted to be "whole grain like." Bleah.

I figured this out by doing those microwave bun in a cups with different ingredients. This is when I discovered I also didn't even like flax, so it's not going to be missed much, either. :lol:

I got sick big time on these commercially made gluten-free chips from 2 different brands which were using two different ingredients as the base grain, so there's something else lurking out there I haven't figured out yet.

i-geek Rookie

Tapioca makes my mouth tingle and my nose gets stuffy. So I'm limted on gluten free brands.

That actually sounds like an outright allergy. I get a similar reaction to some tree nuts. Be careful.

That actually sounds like an outright allergy. I get a similar reaction to some tree nuts. Be careful.

Yeah like anaphylaxis. It scares me. I'm seeing an allergist next week and I'm going to ask him to create an allergy test for me to know for sure. If so I may need an epipen. Scary!

Archived