This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Could Constipation And Bloating Be Symptoms?

tlcmel

tlcmel Rookie

HI,

I'M RUNNING OUT OF OPTIONS. FIRST, I ELIMINATED MILK PRODUCTS FROM MY DIET AND I'M STILL EXHIBITING CONSTIPATION, GAS, AND BLOATING ;) . COULD A GLUTEN INTOLORANCE BE AS A RESULT OR ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF GLUTEN INTOLORANCE MORE SEVERE? :unsure: THANKS

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ianm Apprentice

When I eat gluten I gain weight, get gas and bloating. The symptoms of gluten intolerance can vary widely from one person to the next. Have you eliminated all gluten from your diet?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
HI,

I'M RUNNING OUT OF OPTIONS. FIRST, I ELIMINATED MILK PRODUCTS FROM MY DIET AND I'M STILL EXHIBITING CONSTIPATION, GAS, AND BLOATING ;) . COULD A GLUTEN INTOLORANCE BE AS A RESULT OR ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF GLUTEN INTOLORANCE MORE SEVERE? :unsure: THANKS

There are over 200 symptoms associated with celiac. Each person is different and may have different symptoms. They are both symptoms that can come with it. I get constipation along with some other symptoms when I am glutened.

Have you been tested for celiac? Have you tried being off of gluten? Make sure when you test you keep on gluten.

julie5914 Contributor

These are the same symptoms I have, and I had positive blood work. Still two more weeks till I get a definitive diagnose, but I definitely think these can be symptoms.

uclangel422 Apprentice

These were my symptoms also. Look to see if it happens more frequently after eating. I was bloated non-stop but it would get worse after my huge morning bowl of All Bran, man was i killing myself or what.

My symptoms did get worse over time, but that was how this whole thing got started.

PreOptMegs Explorer

Those were exactly my symptoms as well. I had positive bloodwork, and I just got a biopsy done last week. I started a Gluten free diet before getting the biopsy, so I know it will be inaccurate, but being gluten-free is the ONLY thing that has worked for me. Actually, I am on a special gluten-free diet, the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (www.breakingtheviciouscycle.com). So far, so good!

burdee Enthusiast

UCLANGEL:

Me, too! When I told my doc about my lifelong constipation and increasing gas, bloating and intestinal pain, she labeled me 'IBS' and gave me the IBS diet sheet which suggested eating more whole grains and bran cereals. So I faithfully ate my Shredded Wheat with Bran and Lactaid Milk every morning. Little did I know that I was gluten AND CASEIN intolerant. So avoiding lactose did nothing to relieve my symptoms and following my doc's advice did everything to exacerbate my symptoms. :o I later tested positive for gluten and casein intolerance and the celiac gene through Enterolab. So I showed those test results to my doc at my next exam. She told me 'ibs' was an 'elimination' label. If docs think they have eliminated all other sources of abdominal symptoms, they give patients the 'ibs' label. Unfortunately she and most docs don't do much 'elimination' research before labeling their patients' symptoms as IBS. <_<

Although following a gluten-free/df/sf (I'm soy intolerant too) diet has eliminated most of my symptoms, I'm still paranoid about constipation which can happen if I accidentally consume dairy (more so than gluten). Before I was diagnosed with celiac disease, my longterm constipation caused painful hemorrhoids which necessitated even more painful hemorrhoid surgery and recovery.

Abstaining from dairy also resolved my lifelong sinus allergies and infections. All those years I was told I was allergic to plants, trees, grasses, molds, dust, etc. We even bought a special vacuum cleaner which actually collects the particles rather than blowing them back into the room. Now we're lucky if the house gets vacuumed once a month and I can BREATHE all summer long with only occasional sneezing. :D

BURDEE

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest figling

I'm going to be scoped next week, and I thought this conversation was interesting, because I've always thought diarrhea and wasting was indicative of celiac disease. I experience constipation whenever I eat wheat or rye, and I also gain weight. The more I eat, the worse it gets. I'm bulking up on wheat products prior to the scopes, and I'm really getting bloated!

Judy

• 2 weeks later...
tlcmel Rookie

Hey guys,

Thanks for all fo the replies.

I'm FINALLY getting a blood test done tomorrow and i can't wait. I'll let ya kno. :D

• 13 years later...
victor-dan Newbie

Constipation and Bloating are symptoms and not causes. I think bloating appears after constipation. As for gluten.. i don`t think constipation and gluten are related. The intestines usually assimilate the foods we eat and eliminates the waste. If you think food is the problem, it may be useful to have some medical examination (urine, stool and blood tests).

In this way, you can see if you have some bacteria / viruses in your intestines that causes constipation. This can be a major cause for bot constipation and bloating.

Fermenting foods often cause constipation and long episodes of bloating. For example, fruits and carbonated water.  Especially when you eat fruits after a meal.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Constipation is a common symptom in those with celiac disease and/or gluten sensitivity.

GFinDC Veteran

Right, and so is bloating from excessive gas produced by poorly digested foods.

Archived