This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wine Gluten Free?

ToriMartin

ToriMartin Apprentice

I had a 1/2 of a glass of wine. Its a sweet wine that so far hasn't bothered me. Then I decided I'd like another 1/2 of a glass, but I had drank the last of it. So, I decided to drink some other wine that I have on hand. Within no time I got a stomach ache so now my stomach is bloated & crampy. I also noticed the muscle in my right shoulder is sore all of a sudden for no reason. IT came on the same time my stomach started bothering me.

I tried finding out if there was some hidden gluten but couldn't find anything. I thought Wine was Gluten free?

Yes, I'm very new. Just found this board a few days ago & your guys are great!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Celiactapper Newbie

Wine is definitely gluten free; however, liver problems are a concern to many celiacs. A stomach ache and a pain in the right shoulder can be consistent with liver problems....so if you haven't had your liver tested lately, you might consider doing so. However, your pains may have been completely coincidental. When you're new at the diet, it's easy to question everything you put in your mouth. Good luck!

Looking for answers Contributor

I had a 1/2 of a glass of wine. Its a sweet wine that so far hasn't bothered me. Then I decided I'd like another 1/2 of a glass, but I had drank the last of it. So, I decided to drink some other wine that I have on hand. Within no time I got a stomach ache so now my stomach is bloated & crampy. I also noticed the muscle in my right shoulder is sore all of a sudden for no reason. IT came on the same time my stomach started bothering me.

I tried finding out if there was some hidden gluten but couldn't find anything. I thought Wine was Gluten free?

Yes, I'm very new. Just found this board a few days ago & your guys are great!

I'm pretty sure wine is gluten free, but it does contains sulfites, which many people react to. My muscles cramp up and it also upsets my digestive track for two days.

Lexxieepooh Newbie

As far as I know, wine is gluten free. Fortified (sweet) wines are usually a mix with a grain based alcohol such as whiskey or brandy.

I drink wine all the time though and don't have any gluten consumption symptoms.

T.H. Community Regular

Yes, you can get glutened by wine, as I understand it. Some of the wine barrels can be sealed with flour paste, I believe it is?

There was a thread on this earlier this year I remember reading...lemme track it down.

Here we go!

They have some good links for information that should hopefully help you find some safe wine! :)

Khara33 Newbie

Most wines are safe, but port wine is not. As far as the wheat-glue in the barrels thing, there is no way to track that, short of calling every winery you're going to sample wine from, so I don't worry about it. I have tried a lot of different wines and port is the only kind that causes a gluten reaction for me.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Most wine is gluten free. Wine Coolers that are sold in the US are not though. If you read the bottles they are malt beverages. I make my own wine coolers with an inexpensive wine and 7up.

You may be too early on in healing to handle alcohol. You could also have been glutened by something else. If you were with others and there was a plate of wheat based crackers and some cheese you may have been CC'd for example.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I think that it depends on how sensitive you are. I have to watch out for which wines I drink. I am very sensitive.

Lisa Mentor

Wine, is gluten free. Some wine coolers will have barley malt as in Smirnoff's Ice.

The "wheat paste" in the barrel keeps showing up around here :blink: . I wouldn't be concerned. But as mentioned sulfate can be an issues for some, and any alcohol on a compromised digestive system, just might be too much in the beginning.

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm very sensitive and have not--as of yet anyway--ever had a problem with wine.

I don't do the coolers and flavored ones--those could have issues like malt depending on the brand. Plus, I like my wine straight :D

Are you new to the diet? It may be too soon for any alcohol--I didn't even try it for a year or so as I was very ill to begin with.

Skylark Collaborator

Most wines are safe, but port wine is not. As far as the wheat-glue in the barrels thing, there is no way to track that, short of calling every winery you're going to sample wine from, so I don't worry about it. I have tried a lot of different wines and port is the only kind that causes a gluten reaction for me.

What is the gluten in port wine? Good thing I stopped drinking it a few years back. :o

Lisa Mentor

Port does not contain gluten:

Open Original Shared Link

Any fortification would be fermented and distilled, regardless of the source, and thus gluten free.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Any fortification would be fermented and distilled, regardless of the source, and thus gluten free.

There are the rare celiacs like myself who do react to distilled gluten grains. I get the same reaction as I do from a gluten food including a DH outbreak. Folks should wait until the are completely healed, IMHO, before adding those in. Then a challenge, as with any food, will tell the person if they react.

Skylark Collaborator

That wikipedia article helped. Did you look at references 29 and 30? Apparently wine and port can be "fined" with gluten or gluten derivatives and it's sometimes done as an alternative to using animal protein. Protein precipitates some of the tanning and lessens astringency. Gluten treated wine been tested and no residual gluten remains, but that's the kind of thing that bothers super-sensitive people. Gluten fining is not in widespread use but that along with flour paste on oak casks may explain reactions of some super-sensitive people to port and wines.

ToriMartin Apprentice

Thanks everyone :)

I have done fine on one kind with no probs... It's this other stuff that's I've had for a few months. It's not that great so I won't miss it...

I don't drink wine coolers I like more alcohol in my drinks lol I do miss beer though...

I'm finding that I am more sensitive that I thought I was...

Lisa Mentor

Thanks everyone :)

I have done fine on one kind with no probs... It's this other stuff that's I've had for a few months. It's not that great so I won't miss it...

I don't drink wine coolers I like more alcohol in my drinks lol I do miss beer though...

I'm finding that I am more sensitive that I thought I was...

You will find that your tolerance has changed, be careful. B)

ToriMartin Apprentice

It's funny because it's just that one wine...

Since I had that little bit, my stomach was crampy & bloated & slowly gotten better over a couple days. the worst part has been the muscle aches!

One problem I've had for years is feeling weak, my joints & muscles sore, ect... You know how it is I'm sure... Anyhow, I noticed I was able to scratch my husbands back for ever! I wondered why all of a sudden I wasn't so weak & sore... Well, drinking that wine made everything sore again, still is... Not sure if it was wheat in the process of making it or Sulfites... I am just amazed at how much better my body feels going on the diet. You really notice stuff if you have something you shouldn't!

I can't Than all of you enough! This board is such a blessing!!!

ToriMartin Apprentice

P.S.~ I've also been really grumpy since the wine! My tolerance isn't very good... I chewed out the Post Master at our local ost Office yesterday morning. Course, he was a jerk & really made me mad! ugh

Gemini Experienced

That wikipedia article helped. Did you look at references 29 and 30? Apparently wine and port can be "fined" with gluten or gluten derivatives and it's sometimes done as an alternative to using animal protein. Protein precipitates some of the tanning and lessens astringency. Gluten treated wine been tested and no residual gluten remains, but that's the kind of thing that bothers super-sensitive people. Gluten fining is not in widespread use but that along with flour paste on oak casks may explain reactions of some super-sensitive people to port and wines.

I am about as super sensitive a Celiac as they come and I have never, ever had any reaction to the red wine I drink....and I drink it everyday. I don't eat foods from shared facilities as I react yet no reaction from wine so I really think many people are reacting to other ingredients, mainly sulfites. Alcohol produces problems for a lot of people and many have no gluten issues to begin with. If wine were a problem or on the radar at all for a gluten issue, then the Celiac Foundation and all major groups would not list it as gluten free.

Skylark Collaborator

I am about as super sensitive a Celiac as they come and I have never, ever had any reaction to the red wine I drink....and I drink it everyday. I don't eat foods from shared facilities as I react yet no reaction from wine so I really think many people are reacting to other ingredients, mainly sulfites. Alcohol produces problems for a lot of people and many have no gluten issues to begin with. If wine were a problem or on the radar at all for a gluten issue, then the Celiac Foundation and all major groups would not list it as gluten free.

Celiac Foundation and other groups also list distilled vinegars and spirits as gluten-free, yet some people here react to them. I have gluten reactions to one particular brand of Irish whiskey myself, while other brands are fine. If you search red wine here, you'll find sporadic reports of reactions and some people here are very good at distinguishing their gluten reactions from other things like histamine and sulfites. You cannot judge everyone's sensitivity by your own. (One is a small sample size, don't you think? :P)

Lisa Mentor

Generally, wine is considered gluten free..supported by all the national celiac associationns and research foundations.

After healing, try it. If it works great. If not, mark it off your list. It's that simple. B)

Skylark Collaborator

Generally, wine is considered gluten free..supported by all the national celiac associationns and research foundations.

After healing, try it. If it works great. If not, mark it off your list. It's that simple. B)

Truth. B)

I just wanted folks to know that if they think they reacted to red wine or port, they're not losing their minds. :lol:

Archived