Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I had a 1/2 of a glass of wine. Its a sweet wine that so far hasn't bothered me. Then I decided I'd like another 1/2 of a glass, but I had drank the last of it. So, I decided to drink some other wine that I have on hand. Within no time I got a stomach ache so now my stomach is bloated & crampy. I also noticed the muscle in my right shoulder is sore all of a sudden for no reason. IT came on the same time my stomach started bothering me.

I tried finding out if there was some hidden gluten but couldn't find anything. I thought Wine was Gluten free?

Yes, I'm very new. Just found this board a few days ago & your guys are great!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Wine is definitely gluten free; however, liver problems are a concern to many celiacs. A stomach ache and a pain in the right shoulder can be consistent with liver problems....so if you haven't had your liver tested lately, you might consider doing so. However, your pains may have been completely coincidental. When you're new at the diet, it's easy to question everything you put in your mouth. Good luck!

I had a 1/2 of a glass of wine. Its a sweet wine that so far hasn't bothered me. Then I decided I'd like another 1/2 of a glass, but I had drank the last of it. So, I decided to drink some other wine that I have on hand. Within no time I got a stomach ache so now my stomach is bloated & crampy. I also noticed the muscle in my right shoulder is sore all of a sudden for no reason. IT came on the same time my stomach started bothering me.

I tried finding out if there was some hidden gluten but couldn't find anything. I thought Wine was Gluten free?

Yes, I'm very new. Just found this board a few days ago & your guys are great!

I'm pretty sure wine is gluten free, but it does contains sulfites, which many people react to. My muscles cramp up and it also upsets my digestive track for two days.

2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)

2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life

As far as I know, wine is gluten free. Fortified (sweet) wines are usually a mix with a grain based alcohol such as whiskey or brandy.

I drink wine all the time though and don't have any gluten consumption symptoms.

Yes, you can get glutened by wine, as I understand it. Some of the wine barrels can be sealed with flour paste, I believe it is?

There was a thread on this earlier this year I remember reading...lemme track it down.

Here we go!

They have some good links for information that should hopefully help you find some safe wine! :)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

Most wines are safe, but port wine is not. As far as the wheat-glue in the barrels thing, there is no way to track that, short of calling every winery you're going to sample wine from, so I don't worry about it. I have tried a lot of different wines and port is the only kind that causes a gluten reaction for me.

Most wine is gluten free. Wine Coolers that are sold in the US are not though. If you read the bottles they are malt beverages. I make my own wine coolers with an inexpensive wine and 7up.

You may be too early on in healing to handle alcohol. You could also have been glutened by something else. If you were with others and there was a plate of wheat based crackers and some cheese you may have been CC'd for example.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Wine, is gluten free. Some wine coolers will have barley malt as in Smirnoff's Ice.

The "wheat paste" in the barrel keeps showing up around here :blink: . I wouldn't be concerned. But as mentioned sulfate can be an issues for some, and any alcohol on a compromised digestive system, just might be too much in the beginning.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

I'm very sensitive and have not--as of yet anyway--ever had a problem with wine.

I don't do the coolers and flavored ones--those could have issues like malt depending on the brand. Plus, I like my wine straight :D

Are you new to the diet? It may be too soon for any alcohol--I didn't even try it for a year or so as I was very ill to begin with.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Most wines are safe, but port wine is not. As far as the wheat-glue in the barrels thing, there is no way to track that, short of calling every winery you're going to sample wine from, so I don't worry about it. I have tried a lot of different wines and port is the only kind that causes a gluten reaction for me.

What is the gluten in port wine? Good thing I stopped drinking it a few years back. :o

Port does not contain gluten:

http://www.triumphdining.com/blog/gluten-free-alcohol/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_wine

Any fortification would be fermented and distilled, regardless of the source, and thus gluten free.

Lisa

Any fortification would be fermented and distilled, regardless of the source, and thus gluten free.

There are the rare celiacs like myself who do react to distilled gluten grains. I get the same reaction as I do from a gluten food including a DH outbreak. Folks should wait until the are completely healed, IMHO, before adding those in. Then a challenge, as with any food, will tell the person if they react.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

That wikipedia article helped. Did you look at references 29 and 30? Apparently wine and port can be "fined" with gluten or gluten derivatives and it's sometimes done as an alternative to using animal protein. Protein precipitates some of the tanning and lessens astringency. Gluten treated wine been tested and no residual gluten remains, but that's the kind of thing that bothers super-sensitive people. Gluten fining is not in widespread use but that along with flour paste on oak casks may explain reactions of some super-sensitive people to port and wines.

Thanks everyone :)

I have done fine on one kind with no probs... It's this other stuff that's I've had for a few months. It's not that great so I won't miss it...

I don't drink wine coolers I like more alcohol in my drinks lol I do miss beer though...

I'm finding that I am more sensitive that I thought I was...

Thanks everyone :)

I have done fine on one kind with no probs... It's this other stuff that's I've had for a few months. It's not that great so I won't miss it...

I don't drink wine coolers I like more alcohol in my drinks lol I do miss beer though...

I'm finding that I am more sensitive that I thought I was...

You will find that your tolerance has changed, be careful. B)

Lisa

It's funny because it's just that one wine...

Since I had that little bit, my stomach was crampy & bloated & slowly gotten better over a couple days. the worst part has been the muscle aches!

One problem I've had for years is feeling weak, my joints & muscles sore, ect... You know how it is I'm sure... Anyhow, I noticed I was able to scratch my husbands back for ever! I wondered why all of a sudden I wasn't so weak & sore... Well, drinking that wine made everything sore again, still is... Not sure if it was wheat in the process of making it or Sulfites... I am just amazed at how much better my body feels going on the diet. You really notice stuff if you have something you shouldn't!

I can't Than all of you enough! This board is such a blessing!!!

P.S.~ I've also been really grumpy since the wine! My tolerance isn't very good... I chewed out the Post Master at our local ost Office yesterday morning. Course, he was a jerk & really made me mad! ugh

That wikipedia article helped. Did you look at references 29 and 30? Apparently wine and port can be "fined" with gluten or gluten derivatives and it's sometimes done as an alternative to using animal protein. Protein precipitates some of the tanning and lessens astringency. Gluten treated wine been tested and no residual gluten remains, but that's the kind of thing that bothers super-sensitive people. Gluten fining is not in widespread use but that along with flour paste on oak casks may explain reactions of some super-sensitive people to port and wines.

I am about as super sensitive a Celiac as they come and I have never, ever had any reaction to the red wine I drink....and I drink it everyday. I don't eat foods from shared facilities as I react yet no reaction from wine so I really think many people are reacting to other ingredients, mainly sulfites. Alcohol produces problems for a lot of people and many have no gluten issues to begin with. If wine were a problem or on the radar at all for a gluten issue, then the Celiac Foundation and all major groups would not list it as gluten free.

I am about as super sensitive a Celiac as they come and I have never, ever had any reaction to the red wine I drink....and I drink it everyday. I don't eat foods from shared facilities as I react yet no reaction from wine so I really think many people are reacting to other ingredients, mainly sulfites. Alcohol produces problems for a lot of people and many have no gluten issues to begin with. If wine were a problem or on the radar at all for a gluten issue, then the Celiac Foundation and all major groups would not list it as gluten free.

Celiac Foundation and other groups also list distilled vinegars and spirits as gluten-free, yet some people here react to them. I have gluten reactions to one particular brand of Irish whiskey myself, while other brands are fine. If you search red wine here, you'll find sporadic reports of reactions and some people here are very good at distinguishing their gluten reactions from other things like histamine and sulfites. You cannot judge everyone's sensitivity by your own. (One is a small sample size, don't you think? :P)

Generally, wine is considered gluten free..supported by all the national celiac associationns and research foundations.

After healing, try it. If it works great. If not, mark it off your list. It's that simple. B)

Lisa

Generally, wine is considered gluten free..supported by all the national celiac associationns and research foundations.

After healing, try it. If it works great. If not, mark it off your list. It's that simple. B)

Truth. B)

I just wanted folks to know that if they think they reacted to red wine or port, they're not losing their minds. :lol: