This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Last _______ You Ate. Mmmmm.

thleensd

thleensd Enthusiast

An unknowing acquaintance told one of my gluten-free friends to eat some of those pink and white animal cookies. Ah...., mainstream processed junk food. My new gluten-free, corn-free, organic life seems so far from there.

I used to eat out all the time, and I now frequently drive past my old favorite restaurants and remember my "last meal" there. One day I'll be able to re-create my favorite snacks and meals (in my fantasy kitchen), but until then, I'll "enjoy" my flashbacks. At the risk of opening an uncomfortable can of words, what do YOU remember?

When I was starting to get sick, nothing tasted good, so I tried a LOT of different things which I very fondly remember the taste of. Remembering the last time I ate:

-pink and white animal cookies

-Del Taco (it's nasty, but oh so good)

-Afghan restaurant across town

-Cheese dip at Miguel's restaurant

-midnight rolled tacos with sour cream and guacamole from Alibertos.....

...so much more

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

leikela Newbie

On my last gluten-full day I ate, powdered donuts, cookies (and cookie dough), Pizza, tortellini pasta stuffed with cheese in a creamy white sauce, and for supper i had a 1/4 pound cheeseburger, with french fries and yummo seasoning all over them. I also took pictures to document the day. lol

Needless to say, I was SUPER full at the end of the day. But i don't regret it! Now whenever i'm in the car with someone getting take-out my mouth waters at the wonderful smells, but I'm reminded of how great i really do feel being gluten free now. My taste has changed so much that i don't crave the same foods anymore. Plus, my family and friends are jealous because of the weight i've lost too, so that's another perk!

burdee Enthusiast

i don't even remember what I ate on my last gluten full day, because I was in sooo much pain. I suspect I ate shredded wheat and bran for breakfast, because I constantly struggled with constipation, which had been caused by gluten all along. I put lactose free milk on that cereal without realizing that I really was allergic to casein, the milk protein, rather than intolerant of lactose, the milk sugar. I don't remember lunch or dinner or anything else.

Maybe too much time has passed. Maybe I'm just very happy with all the healthier choices I have, despite abstaining from gluten and 6 other diagnosed allergies. If I miss any foods, my other allergies (dairy, soy, cane sugar, eggs, vanilla and nutmeg), prohibit me from eating everything I want. Getting rid of gluten was E A S Y! However, I still haven't found a satisfying cold cereal, which doesn't contain my other allergens. Nevertheless, there are sooo many great gluten free substitute foods. Best of all feeling healthy (no gastrointestinal pain) beats any 'taste' I could possibly miss.

Skylark Collaborator

I'm pretty happy gluten-free too. It's so nice not to have all the GI trouble that I had just accepted as my lot in life. I've found gluten-free substitutes for pretty much all the refined flour foods I used to like.

If we're going for nostalgia, the things I miss most really tasted of wheat. Triscuits, Frosted Mini-Wheats, and crusty French bread were some of my favorite foods. I challenged on my elimination diet with Triscuits. It didn't go well. :lol:

precious831 Contributor

Honestly I have no recollection, I was pretty sick and I don't remember.

I can tell you what I miss the most is convenience...oh and pizza, and Chinese food, you know good one like from the buffet or some small hole in the wall type deal. I can make Chinese food at home sure but it doesn't taste like it.

irish daveyboy Community Regular

Honestly I have no recollection, I was pretty sick and I don't remember.

I can tell you what I miss the most is convenience...oh and pizza, and Chinese food, you know good one like from the buffet or some small hole in the wall type deal. I can make Chinese food at home sure but it doesn't taste like it.

I had a hankering for Coconut ice (pink or white) I had fond memories as a child in my Grandmother's house and a tray of the delectable sweets (bonbons).

Well I went in search of a recipe and found one and here it is (in case you're interested).

iScoconut-ice-web.webp

Ingredients:

500g Granulated sugar

142ml milk

142g Desiccated coconut

Ground black pepper a pinch

Pink food colouring (optional)

Method:

Butter a 15cm square shallow tin.

Put the milk and sugar in a heavy based pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.

Bring to the boil and simmer until the temperature reaches 114˚c on a sugar thermometer.

Remove immediately from the heat and stir in the coconut and a pinch of black pepper.

Pour half the mixture into the tin.

Add a few drops of colouring if required to the remaining mixture and pour into the tin.

Mark into squares and cut out when cold.

Best Regards,

David

luvs2eat Collaborator

Real french bread and crusty country loaves are what I miss... plus real chocolate chip cookies w/ lots of walnuts.

I'm used to gluten-free bread now and it's good, but it's not real french bread. And I've never had a chocolate chip cookie that can remotely compare to the real thing... so I don't bake 'em anymore.

I'd love a good old Big Mac too.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sb2178 Enthusiast

I very carefully ate a lot of croissants during my diagnosis odessy (sp??). Chocolate. Almond. Plain. Gruyere.

last meal was a challenge of plain pasta. And, ouch, I'm never doing that again.

K8ling Enthusiast

Real french bread and crusty country loaves are what I miss... plus real chocolate chip cookies w/ lots of walnuts.

I'm used to gluten-free bread now and it's good, but it's not real french bread. And I've never had a chocolate chip cookie that can remotely compare to the real thing... so I don't bake 'em anymore.

I'd love a good old Big Mac too.

Pamelas chocolate chunk cookies are pretty dang close ;)

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

I can't think of a thing. lol I've found most everything gluten free so I don't miss much. I still have not found a replacement for Cream of Shrimp soup. Making myself hasn't produced the same results. I used it to make chip dip.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

The last gluten foods I ate were Triscuits and Cream of Wheat during my challenge. I had 3 days of shoving those down before my world exploded into pain again.

As far as foods I miss the biggy is phyllo dough and those apple and raspberry turnovers made with them. That and fresh out of the oven Italian bread. I live in an area with a large Italian population and one of the local stores still bakes it fresh every Sunday.

I sure don't miss the pain though and was more than happy to give up gluten in exchange for regaining my health. Did have a couple meltdowns in the store the first couple weeks though.

K8ling Enthusiast

The last Gluten thing I ate was a bowl of Cheerios. I thought I was going to die.

It's not so much food that I miss (although I DO miss mexican food) but the freedom to eat anything without analyzing.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Oh yea, phyllo dough I do miss. I'm too lazy to make it myself so I'm waiting for a gluten-free frozen phyllo dough.

I see lots of people want French Bread. If you can have dairy, Against the Grain's Baguettes are excellent. Many of my non gluten free friends think this is the best french bread they've ever had. It will satisfy that craving and make excellent subs and French Dip sandwiches. Against the Grain rolls are the close to croissants.

jodi2010 Rookie

brown sugar and cinnamon pop-tarts!!!!..much healthier eating habits now and much happier but oh how i loved pop-tarts!!... but then again Kelloggs probably owes me about 3 bottles of ibuprofen and a 10 pack of Charmin:)

srall Contributor

I'm not going to count the pbj sandwich I ate just to see if the gluten was a problem. I wish I'd used a pizza or a donut.

MMMMM pizza mmmm donuts from the corner bakery (they are the best in the world). Well, I guess those are really the only two things that just drive me crazy to have to give up. Nothing else is even tempting anymore.

precious831 Contributor

I had a hankering for Coconut ice (pink or white) I had fond memories as a child in my Grandmother's house and a tray of the delictable sweets (bon-bons.

Well I went in search of a recipe and found one and here it is (in case you're interested).

iScoconut-ice-web.webp

Ingredients:

500g Granulated sugar

142ml milk

142g Desiccated coconut

Ground black pepper a pinch

Pink food colouring (optional)

Method:

Butter a 15cm square shallow tin.

Put the milk and sugar in a heavy based pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved.

Bring to the boil and simmer until the temperature reaches 114˚c on a sugar thermometer.

Remove immediately from the heat and stir in the coconut and a pinch of black pepper.

Pour half the mixture into the tin.

Add a few drops of colouring if required to the remaining mixture and pour into the tin.

Mark into squares and cut out when cold.

Best Regards,

David

Thanks, I'd love to try but I can't have dairy at all. Do you think almond milk or hemp milk will work? My DD is allergic to coconuts btw.

Travisevian Newbie

With all honesty, I don't too much miss the foods I used to eat regularly. They've all made me feel too bad. Pizza is one of my favourite foods but I really like the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free pizza mix. Of course, it's not the same but change is good.

lucia Enthusiast

Wow - I thought this thread would be depressing, but instead everyone is so happy with their new gluten-free lifestyle and happy to make do with substitutes! That's pretty impressive.

I can't even remember the last time I ate something with gluten. I think I must have had other things on my mind, such as prolonged stomach pain. :rolleyes:

irish daveyboy Community Regular

Thanks, I'd love to try but I can't have dairy at all. Do you think almond milk or hemp milk will work? My DD is allergic to coconuts btw.

I would imagine so.

if you used freshly grated coconut (i'd imagine water would do)

Sorry your Daughter can't have Coconut!

Is it wise even making them in that case.

Best Regards,

David

precious831 Contributor

I would imagine so.

if you used freshly grated coconut (i'd imagine water would do)

Sorry your Daughter can't have Coconut!

Is it wise even making them in that case.

Best Regards,

David

Yeah she was reacting to it and we've since removed it from her diet after being confirmed through SPT (skin prick testing). But I can have coconut but then I feel guilty if I make it and then knowing she's not gonna have any.

Dixiebell Contributor

The last gluten food I ate was mellow mushroom pizza. It was good. It woke me up at about 3am to let me know that I was going to be in severe pain for the next few hours. I don't ever want to eat gluten again. I have not had another one of those 'episodes' since going gluten free.(about 4 months) I used to have them once a month. That is enough to keep me away from it.

sandiz Apprentice

I had ceasar salad with garlic cheese toast for lunch and a turkey club with fries for dinner. That was the last day of holidays the beginning of Jan 2010. I really miss Dempster white seasame bread..........yum was my favorite.

kristianne75 Newbie

The last real gluten free meal that I remember enjoying was a pizza with everything on it from my favorite local pizza joint, with a side order of onion rings.

However, I say remember because....one night I was having a particularly bad day, was really pissy about a lack of choices in my personal menus and went out with my hubby for a couple of drinks. Well, probably one (+) bottle of wine later, he is driving my pathetic butt home, and I evidently insisted on drive thru. (Think, "I don't care, I am eating what I want!" Ugh!) Well, one 'frisco burger and order of curly fries later, that I don't even remember eating, I wound up miserable for days. What stupidity! And DH has promised he will never bring me through drive thru again at 2:30 am, no matter how hungry I claim to be...

Mydietgirl Newbie

Big piece of double fudge chocolate cake at the office for someones birthday. It was special because it was the last time I was able to eat food that someone else brought in and not worry about the ingredients.

Archived