This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Breakfast Out?!

CarolinaKip

CarolinaKip Community Regular

I've been asked out for breakfast, how do I attempt this? Any ideas? I've only been to pfChangs and Chic fil A since going gluten-free. I'm at a loss right now. I have some chains around me and not sure how to order or if it will be too much of a chance. They are letting me pick the place and I really don't trust fast food at all. Any help is much appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac-mommy Collaborator

If I'm going to a new place, I always call ahead. I've found that breakfast is the easiest meal to dine out. I always ask to do an omlette in a clean omlette pan off the grill and a side of fruit. There's one local place we go that I know for sure the hashbrowns are safe bc nothing with gluten touches the grill. I do a veggie omplette and stay away from the meats, just in case.

Lisa Mentor

Burger King

McDonalds

Chick-fil-A

Hardees

all have www.________.com gluten free or allergen free menus.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Just be sure to ask enough questions about the preparation and the ingredients. If you can at least find a place with ingredients lists and/or an allergy menu that would be helpful. One place I know to avoid is I-HOP--they put flour in their eggs. Other places may do this as well or cook eggs on the same skillet used for pancakes or french toast. I would also avoid any place that makes their biscuits from scratch. There's sure to be lots of flour dust flying around that kitchen. Finally, if you can't find a place that seems safe perhaps you could just go to a coffee house like Starbucks, where there are breakfast things for your companions to buy, but you would not be out of place if you just got coffee or tea and ate your own gluten free bar from home. Just and idea. I have yet to attempt breakfast out except at hotels.

BethJ Rookie

I like breakfast as it's much easier to find food that doesn't make me sick. I stick with bacon and eggs. Some places let you substitute fruit or sliced tomatoes for grits and potatoes although grits and potatoes can be okay if you ask about them. I usually avoid them rather than take a chance, and, of course, emphatically state NO BREAD and tell them why.

cyberprof Enthusiast

I find breakfast places easier than say a sandwich shop or pizza place for lunch. In fact, I can't remember getting a bad meal for breakfast (and I'm pretty sensitive IMHO).

I usually get an omlette or eggs over easy (cooked in a clean pan) with bacon strips or fresh fruit. I took a risk and had grits at a southern diner place in North Carolina and didn't have a noticable reaction but wouldn't do it too often. (I was trying to re-create my southern childhood.)

I always ask for a clean skillet and I observe how they operate. For breakfast buffets in hotels, you can usually watch them make the omelettes.

I also ask to make sure that they don't add flour to the egg batter (like IHOP does). And I ask or joke like "Please keep all the toast away from my plate!"

If you're really worried, I'd just ask for fruit or a grapefruit and eat ahead of time.

BTW most Starbucks have gluten-free Bars and nuts and some carry Lucy's cookies, so that's an option.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

lovegrov Collaborator

Breakfast is easy -- eggs, bacon, sausage (double check the brand), ham, fruit, grits, juice. Some hash browns or other potatoes although you definitely have to check those.

BTW, IHOP does indeed put a little pancake batter in its pre-made omelet mixture, but you can order a fresh egg omelet at any IHOP. Explain why.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

buffettbride Enthusiast

Breakfast is definitely the easiest. We don't do drive-thru or fast food breakfast, but we've had a bit of luck at places asking for fresh eggs (my daughter likes egg white omelets because she doesn't tolerate egg yolks so well). Usually gets bacon and hashbrowns with no problem. We tend to frequent places who do us right the first time so they get to know us and feel comfortable with what we order, and we almost always ask for a manager.

njbeachbum Explorer

Breakfast is the one meal that worries me - most breakfast places are quick turnaround and they've got all kinds of stuff flying onto and off of the same grill. I like the idea of asking for a clean pan off of the main grill... shockingly, I never thought of that.

What I do for breakfast that is almost always a safe bet - as for a couple of hard boiled eggs! Most places will do that for you. Then you can get some fresh fruit on the side - maybe a banana or some places sell melon, berries, etc. And of course, COFFEE!! the best part of breakfast :)

Enjoy and good luck!

BethM55 Enthusiast

Soft boiled or poached eggs are safe, too, and not something I often make at home. I bring a couple of slices of Udi's bread with me, and ask for fresh fruit instead of the toast.

• 2 weeks later...
CeliacAndCfsCrusader Apprentice

FYI: Mimi's has a gluten-free menu, but talk to the manager, the staff is sort of clueless at my location. I have gotten the broccoli/cheese omelette without incident (I can't remember if their potatoes are gluten-free).

Another option is Original Pancake House, they have a separate grill for gluten-free pancakes and the meats are gluten-free too (always double check).

Good luck!

mbrookes Community Regular

Waffle House has been great for me. Explain what you need. They don't mind taking special precautions up to and including letting me read the package that the hash browns come in. Just be clear about what you need.

bincongo Contributor

Waffle House has been great for me. Explain what you need. They don't mind taking special precautions up to and including letting me read the package that the hash browns come in. Just be clear about what you need.

Waffle House! What in the world do you order there? I would like to go back to them but they cook everything on the same grill. I would just be curious what you order and if they all have the same hash browns or you have to ask to see the package each time.

wheeleezdryver Community Regular

BTW most Starbucks have gluten-free Bars and nuts and some carry Lucy's cookies, so that's an option.

I've only been to Starbucks a handful fo times, as I don't drink coffee or tea, but yesterday i was there w/ a friend (got done helping her with errands an hour before she needed to go to work, so she wanted to go there), and while there I noticed that they (at least the store I was in) had 2 varieties ofKind Bars (fruit & nuts, gluten-free :), don't know what their price was) and there was also a granola bar that was labeled gluten-free (don't remember the name of it, but it had sunflower & other seeds, and was like 3.95 for the one bar...). I didn't get to look around much more than that, as it was busy & crowded in there, so there may have been a few other things that are gluten-free, as well. (I think some of the bottled juices might be, i don't know)

• 3 weeks later...
brendygirl Community Regular

Breakfast IS the easiest. Original House of Pancakes has gluten-free. Here on E Coast Silver Diner has gluten-free Vans waffles. Busboys & Poets has grits that are gluten-free.

We often go to mom n pops places and I just do the clean grill or pan talkie talk and no crumbs, clean gloves, clean utensils.

I get eggs, omelets, etc.

Denny's is easy (they have military discount for my bf) I get the build your own: eggs, hash browns, fruit, bacon, sometimes yogurt.

Funny, how I never liked hash browns until I became gluten-free, now I love em. I can't imagine getting it without em.

Sometimes I bring my own bread and put jam and egg on it like a sandwich.

The omelet station at hotels is amazing.

BACON- some places lay it on bread to soak up the grease!!!!!

SaraKat Contributor

I was on vacation last week and we went out to breakfast a lot. They told me that they would cook the omelet in a clean pan and I got a side of fruit instead of the normal sausage/hash browns/etc.

So, I had quite a few different types of omelets and healthy fruit. It was pretty easy.

Archived