This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

love2travel Mentor

Much better, thank you! A good night's rest and a calm day today are just what the doctor ordered to clear out the funks. :)

Happy to hear it. Sleep is truly miraculous. I do not sleep well myself so when I do my days are brighter. :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

Adalaide Mentor

Ooh! I'm in the market for a waffle iron. What brand did you get? Is it Belgian style or regular?

Waffle irons are all a matter of preference. I personally have a Belgian one. It makes lovely waffles that are light, fluffy and airy on the inside and crispy on the outside.

notme Experienced

That's a really cool idea, I just wish it wasn't glass. I have one glass cutting board I bought on the premise that it couldn't get CC'd and I can't stand the sound of cutting on it.  :ph34r: It's beautiful though, and a great gift for people who like glass cutting boards, shared house or not.  :)

o my gosh - so i'm not the only one!!!  glass cutting boards wig me out............

notme Experienced

y'all are hilarious!!  i had to read, like, 5 pages to catch up  :) 

i had good success with bette hagman's pie crust recipe, but i would like to try the one irish smartass heart put on here  ;)  gelato, my a$$ lololz  :D 

i think i found a pretty good deal on a belgium waffle iron (the kind that flips over, so that will make the husband happy.  ?......  i don't know why.  he wants one that flips over........) 

colleen:  play with thy food!!  do not be afraid of the messeth that may incurreth - plus, you can make people eateth your mistakeths  :P

tonight?  CHICKEN BALLS!!!!!!  (thanx, addy)(and the chicken thanks you as well hahaha)

with rice noodles <sesame oil, soy sauce and pickled ginger/green onions

and stuffed mushrooms.  because they were starting to look a little funkadelic - i stuffed them with sausage & mozzerella.  to go with my chinese themed meal......  <_<   ok, i'm considering them to be 'vegetables'  :ph34r:

Adalaide Mentor

y'all are hilarious!!  i had to read, like, 5 pages to catch up  :)

i had good success with bette hagman's pie crust recipe, but i would like to try the one irish smartass heart put on here  ;)  gelato, my a$$ lololz  :D

i think i found a pretty good deal on a belgium waffle iron (the kind that flips over, so that will make the husband happy.  ?......  i don't know why.  he wants one that flips over........) 

colleen:  play with thy food!!  do not be afraid of the messeth that may incurreth - plus, you can make people eateth your mistakeths  :P

tonight?  CHICKEN BALLS!!!!!!  (thanx, addy)(and the chicken thanks you as well hahaha)

with rice noodles <sesame oil, soy sauce and pickled ginger/green onions

and stuffed mushrooms.  because they were starting to look a little funkadelic - i stuffed them with sausage & mozzerella.  to go with my chinese themed meal......  <_<   ok, i'm considering them to be 'vegetables'  :ph34r:

Hey, if it grows and it's not an animal or grain, it's a vegetable! That's a rule around here.

And that's the kind of waffle iron I have. It's a Bella brand one that I grabbed two years ago on a Black Friday sale for $10 or $15. I was so happy that my hours and hours and hours standing around in the below freezing temps paid off that night. Black Friday is my official shop for me day. If I'm going to stand in cold for 5 or 6 hours for a good deal, it'll be for me. I really can't think of another living soul I would do that for. If my kids wanted something that bad, they could go stand in the freakin cold for it! :lol: (yeah, I'm an evil parent like that!)

kareng Grand Master

We had left-over Mexican lasagna!  Hard to get it hot in the microwave as it doesn't have much fat, but maybe better left-over.  Trying to decide on dinner for tonight.  I will be busy until about 8 so I was thinking something in the crockpot.  Just can't get too excited about anything.

I have some grilled chicken, maybe I will make some spicy peanut dressing and have a big salad.  M isn't big on salad as a meal.  So I don't know.  Maybe put BBQ sauce on his and give him a side salad and an apple?

ItchyAbby Enthusiast

Abbs,

I got a Rival.  I chose regular as opposed to Belgium because I like waffles a bit firmer, crisper instead of doughy.  If you get one ask Irish for her waffle recipe.  She told me I would love it.

Colleen 

Oh I will. I lurve me some waffles...but I am guessing that I might have to wait but until I can eat egg yolks and butter again. *le sigh*

Happy to hear it. Sleep is truly miraculous. I do not sleep well myself so when I do my days are brighter. :-)

Indeed! The world is a horrible place when I am sleep deprived. :)

Waffle irons are all a matter of preference. I personally have a Belgian one. It makes lovely waffles that are light, fluffy and airy on the inside and crispy on the outside.

You are right of course. I think my preference would probably lean toward Belgian-style, as well, but sometimes the thin crispier ones are good (and great for sammiches!) Hmm. Guess I'll have to get one of each!

Oh and dinner tonight:

roasted chicken legs (mmm, crispy skin!)

celeriac and turnip mash

something green that has yet to be determined...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

o my gosh - so i'm not the only one!!!  glass cutting boards wig me out............

I'm glad I'm not the only one! There are a lot of sounds that make me crazy, like fingernails on a chalkboard. Sometimes I feel like I the world is conspiring against my ears!

Oh I will. I lurve me some waffles...but I am guessing that I might have to wait but until I can eat egg yolks and butter again. *le sigh*

Indeed! The world is a horrible place when I am sleep deprived. :)

You are right of course. I think my preference would probably lean toward Belgian-style, as well, but sometimes the thin crispier ones are good (and great for sammiches!) Hmm. Guess I'll have to get one of each!

Oh and dinner tonight:

roasted chicken legs (mmm, crispy skin!)

celeriac and turnip mash

something green that has yet to be determined...

I want one of the little flat ones to make ice cream sandwiches with. At the fair I grew up going to they used them and ice cream that comes in a box. Just slice off a square of ice cream, that is the same size as a waffle and BAM! ice cream sandwich! I've got to get one before next summer.

We're doing do-overs for supper. I have my penne pasta in one of those 5 gallon food storage tubs, but I never bought a gamma lid for it. Gamma lids are the screw on ones. So that means I have to do the whole pry the lid off, hammer it back on nonsense. So screw that, I just cooked a whole package of rotini (from the Expo, omg I still have food from that) last night for our dinner so we have plenty left over. So I get a night off from cooking. WOOHOO! '

Tomorrow's to-do list. Go buy a gamma lid for my penne. Almost everything else has one so that I can get easy access to all the stuff I buy in bulk.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Left over soup for me.

IrishHeart Veteran

I can HEAR you all, you know. I am RIGHT HERE! Miss smartypants Arleeneeee. Eat some chex in the corner, missy.

ok, I've only 5 minutes before I get yelled at for being on this machine, so.

How fast can I post? time me :P

#1 Glass cutting boards  =fingernails/blackboard ACK!!!!! But, it sure looks like a nice one.

#2 Not sure why anyone thinks I own a waffle iron.  -_-

You all know I hate irons. You have heard my diatribe about irons.

I do not iron clothes. Horrid task.

The only time I tried a curling iron (years ago) I gave myself a burn across my right cheek. Doofus people like me should never use those things.

Yes, I have had delicious homemade waffles and I prefer them, but they were not made in my house.

My friend Sherry Lynn who owns the G F cafe in Latham, NY made them for me. She uses this mix she created and Colleen, I can send you some if you want! Just say the word. You know I will.

Sorry for the confusion.

Yes, I did tell Colleen to go buy one if she loves waffles. Because Colleen deserves to be uber-happy while baking and cooking and eating all the waffles she wants. ;)

That said, 

I do, in fact, have 2 good recipes for waffles based on what my cousin reports to me (because I asked).

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/gluten-free-belgian-waffles-emmade-with-baking-mix/em-recipe

and this one (ironically written by someone named Ginny)

that she also likes.

I looked at it and I am sure it is good because she gives the flour/starch ratio from Bette Hagman's recipe

if you do not have all-purpose flour on hand..

Bette is the mother of G F cooking.

http://www.food.com/recipe/gluten-free-waffles-40362

Ok, gotta go.....you did not see me! :ph34r: xxoo

Adalaide Mentor

Ok, gotta go.....you did not see me! :ph34r: xxoo

You gotta work on those ninja skills, you're not quite as sneaky as you think you are. :P

Oh... omg!!! Went to a GIG meeting tonight. Blah blah blah medical stuff.... the Gluten Free Heaven girl was there and she brought poptarts she made with pie crust and jelly. O!M!G! So good. I didn't even ask what fat she used in the pie crust, which I know I'm not supposed to do soy blah blah blah again. Don't care. It was a perfect, flaky crust and I almost died of happiness. I ate so many. :ph34r:

GF Lover Rising Star

I knew Irish wouldn't last long...lmao

Thanks for the recipes and YES I want :D I will email.  I will whip up my first batch with one of those recipes this weekend and I'm going to make Maple Butter for them too.  Yummmmmm. 

Colleen

Adalaide Mentor

If you want to try a nice fall waffle, pumpkin waffles are great. Hmmm... I think I'm adding pumpkin to my shopping list today and putting breakfast for dinner on my meal planner. I don't keep agave nectar around the house, so I just sub honey. When I don't have an ingredient like that I just google what to replace it with. And vanilla is vanilla, I don't buy the cheap crap so don't get all bent out of shape if you don't have bourbon vanilla. It's just waffles.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2008/10/pumpkin-waffles.html

notme Experienced

I can HEAR you all, you know. I am RIGHT HERE! Miss smartypants Arleeneeee. Eat some chex in the corner, missy.

bwah hahahahaaaaa!!!!!!!!!

AS.  IF!

i am expecting house guests AGAIN!!!!  i am already stressing, still not over being sick, and it's a last minute thing.  like they called from the road this morning - arghhh!!

i'm making lasagne.  that's all i know.  

arlene, out.

love2travel Mentor

Thai beef stir-fried noodles (excellent lemongrass et. al. marinade), delicious sauce, etc. And about 30 ingredients so it is my kind of cooking. Scallion pancakes with dipping sauce will go rather nicely. Trying to use up stuff from the fridge.

Unrelated to dinner, am making a batch of spicy garlic chili sauce to keep on hand and also a big pot of 10-hour slow baked beans with salt pork, apple cider, molasses, etc for tomorrow.

Adalaide Mentor

Thai beef stir-fried noodles (excellent lemongrass et. al. marinade), delicious sauce, etc. And about 30 ingredients so it is my kind of cooking. Scallion pancakes with dipping sauce will go rather nicely. Trying to use up stuff from the fridge.

Unrelated to dinner, am making a batch of spicy garlic chili sauce to keep on hand and also a big pot of 10-hour slow baked beans with salt pork, apple cider, molasses, etc for tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure the only reason you don't have all of us flocking to your house is the fact that we would all freeze to death halfway there! :P

Yesterday we grabbed a Costco chicken, and since it's just the two of us they make dinner for two days if we're responsible. (sometimes we're not :ph34r:) So tonight we'll go for the other half of the chicken and some salads. I'll probably leave it up to my husband to decide if he wants the chicken plain, as chicken, or as quesadillas. I also got super excited at the store yesterday because they had a ginormous bag of Alexia sweet potato fries for about the price of a small bag from Walmart. Hah! And my Costco doesn't have Rudi's stuffing. Jerks. <_< I just want to freakin try it because I can.

GF Lover Rising Star

Made steak and cheese quesadillas with tons of sour cream and salsa for dipping.  Hubs was amazed how I could flip those suckers loaded with stuff.  I said I am the new and improved Chef Colleen and then promptly let one of them slip off the plate and land right in front of my waiting Toy Yorkies.  Still working on the delivery :D

Adalaide Mentor

Made steak and cheese quesadillas with tons of sour cream and salsa for dipping.  Hubs was amazed how I could flip those suckers loaded with stuff.  I said I am the new and improved Chef Colleen and then promptly let one of them slip off the plate and land right in front of my waiting Toy Yorkies.  Still working on the delivery :D

Chef, not waitress. :lol:

love2travel Mentor

I'm pretty sure the only reason you don't have all of us flocking to your house is the fact that we would all freeze to death halfway there! :P

Yesterday we grabbed a Costco chicken, and since it's just the two of us they make dinner for two days if we're responsible. (sometimes we're not :ph34r:) So tonight we'll go for the other half of the chicken and some salads. I'll probably leave it up to my husband to decide if he wants the chicken plain, as chicken, or as quesadillas. I also got super excited at the store yesterday because they had a ginormous bag of Alexia sweet potato fries for about the price of a small bag from Walmart. Hah! And my Costco doesn't have Rudi's stuffing. Jerks. <_< I just want to freakin try it because I can.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain you may find today a bit chilly at -22C.

love2travel Mentor

I am making Pad Thai.

shadowicewolf Proficient

so, i made pizza for lunch. I decided to line my pan (an 8x8 glassware) with foil and try it that way. The pizza crust still stuck... that's even with me oiling it before i put the crust in.

Any ideas on what to try next?

love2travel Mentor

so, i made pizza for lunch. I decided to line my pan (an 8x8 glassware) with foil and try it that way. The pizza crust still stuck... that's even with me oiling it before i put the crust in.

Have you tried cornmeal?  I find glass not to be the best for pizza.  Do you happen to have something that can withstand high heat which is best for pizza such as a pizza stone or aluminum or even a cast iron pan?

cahill Collaborator

Home made turkey and rice soup ( nursing a cold and sore throat )

Adalaide Mentor

I'm also a fan of cornmeal. My husband isn't the world's biggest fan, but I love the texture and flavor and how it makes a pizza just slide right off of anything.

Tonight we're having polish sausages I found on sale. I think I may also find the ambition to make some kluski to go with them. Not something I've had since all the ethnic food festivals back in PA. It seemed there was one every week all summer there, and that's not counting actual carnivals too. My picky husband probably won't touch them, so I'll have enough to make me look like a potato dumpling. :ph34r:

IrishHeart Veteran

Ok, I am not really here, :ph34r: as some of you  know I am nursing a very bad back/neck and I am on a doc/PT/Hubs- imposed laptop vacation,but I am reading all my peeps' posts in my 5-minute allotment.....and please, please, guys!

Do yourselves the favor of a lifetime and invest in THIS pizza pan.

TRUST ME!!

No cornmeal, no oil, no tinfoil necessary. Slides right off. In fact, I HIGHLY recommend ALL USA pan baking products.

(not a paid spokesperson) 

I do not want cornmeal on the bottom of my pizza either, so Addy, tell your sweetie I AGREE!

OK, everyone......LOOK! (and there are many sources for this pan, including the site we cannot say

but it starts with A and ends in azon.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/29249-usa-pan-pizza-pan.aspx

Love you guys.... and I am gone. YOU DID NOT SEE Me.... B)