This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

The What's For Dinner Tonight Chat

jess-gf

kareng Grand Master

Thanks Laura, now I want some Taco Bell, "eat great, even late [unless you have celiac]".

Nachos can be really easy for you. Throw some shredded cheese on the chips and microwave. Dip in salsa. My younger son prefers to put them in the oven for a minute on broil. Then dip in left- over chili if we have it. My older son will micro wave them with left- over bacon or hamburger or chicken or red peppers, etc.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

• Adalaide

• love2travel

• GottaSki

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishHeart

IrishHeart 1,338 posts

• Adalaide

Adalaide 1,030 posts

• love2travel

love2travel 954 posts

• GottaSki

GottaSki 889 posts

Posted Images

IrishHeart Veteran

My easy nachos (I like to use up whatever is in the fridge sometimes)

I make my own salsa and guacamole, but sometimes, I am lazy and use ready made stuff. ^_^

heat up oven to 350

I use the santitas white corn chips (only $2.00 a bag and sturdy!)

layer them with:

a meat protein  like: shred some leftover chicken (if you make a chicken breast for dinner, make 2 then you will have some for your nachos) or, I get a cooked rotisserie chicken sometimes, knowing that it's going to become enchiladas or nachos the next day and some will be chicken salad or vietnamese chicken salad rolls too--whoohoo!

or make two burgers for dinner and save one for this purpose--or leftover meatloaf works too

some jar pickled jalapenos if you like those,

jar salsa

canned refried beans--just plop scoops down on the chips.

dice up some onions and/or red peppers if you have one

shredded mexican cheese blend

can of diced black olives, if you like those.

When the cheese starts to melt, I like to finish them off under the broiler (like Karen's son does)

I like a bit of sour cream on mine

if you like guacamole, wholly guacamole is pretty good.

we don't need no stinkin'  taco bell.  :D

IrishHeart Veteran

making Mediterranean pork burgers today

corn on the cob

sweet potato fries

and I have a bag of Jules' choc chip cookie mix that someone very sweet sent me to try (about 9 months ago) and I am finally making those today.

and quite possibly, some vanilla bean ice cream may be going around in the ice cream maker as a treat for the hubs.

(and I will have to sample it to make sure it's ok)

Hope you all have a wonderful labor day! xxoo 

love2travel Mentor

Happy Labour Day to my North American friends!

Tonight I am making a simple mixed salad with a Dijon and red wine vinaigrette and fresh Balkans feta. Batter for rosemary socca (flatbread) is resting. I will drizzle with local olive oil and sprinkle with...you guessed it...local sea salt.

Blackberry lemon muffins for dessert. I picked the last of the berries and have frozen several bags which will be nice for "winter" baking.

IrishHeart Veteran

Happy Labour Day to my North American friends!

Tonight I am making a simple mixed salad with a Dijon and red wine vinaigrette and fresh Balkans feta. Batter for rosemary socca (flatbread) is resting. I will drizzle with local olive oil and sprinkle with...you guessed it...local sea salt.

Blackberry lemon muffins for dessert. I picked the last of the berries and have frozen several bags which will be nice for "winter" baking.

Hi honey!! That sounds like YUM!!! xx  So happy you're happy! 

Adalaide Mentor

Sounds perfectly delightful over there! ^_^ I'm enjoying our cooling off temps and a bit of an early fall here. It's still warm enough for capris and sundresses and all that, but not hot. It's perfect.

I'm just making some battered fish and idk what to go with it tonight. Something easy. Doesn't matter, had egg, bacon, cheese sandwiches on english muffins for breakfast with a large cup of chocolate milk. After that I'm not sure I could make anything easy that could compare.

I'm getting the jerky marinated today. We've decided on pepperoni, cheese and crackers and pretzels over sandwiches. At least I won't have to make bread. So now I can surprise him with his favorite oatmeal cookies tomorrow. :D

SMRI Collaborator

Ok--made my pork steak...WOW is that a tender cut of meat!!!  It was so juicy and fork tender.  It looks a bit like a Porterhouse Steak. NUM!!  Didn't brown the potatoes enough but it was a good cut of meat!!  I'm going to have to special order a pork roast to get the potatoes to brown like I like them to.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

There is some sick, twisted obsession with lean pork. I don't know what's up with that, but I always snag myself the beautiful cuts with some fat on them when I can find them. They're just so much tastier! Glad yours turned out good.

IrishHeart Veteran

There is some sick, twisted obsession with lean pork. I don't know what's up with that, but I always snag myself the beautiful cuts with some fat on them when I can find them. They're just so much tastier! Glad yours turned out good.

Whaaa? I'm with you.... who is touting this no marbled fat in meat myth? where? where?  ^_^

Nonsense, I say....you need some fat for flavor! Marbled meat = good quality.

“No human studies have ever shown that supplementing the diet with beef increases LDL cholesterol. However, studies have shown that oleic acid supplements can decrease LDL.”

When doctors warn you away from beef that is not lean, they are probably thinking about external fat, which is typically trimmed off to a constant level for all grades of beef. “There's a health benefit to eating well-marbled beef, compared to the lower grading kind,” Smith says. More marbling means more oleic acid, which means less of the potentially harmful saturated and trans-fatty acids that have given beef a black eye."

http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2008/September/CT1715.shtml

just sayin..... -_-

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

I'm fixing to make me some Chinese. :-) except I'm gonna be using chicken and shrimp instead of cat. Lol. But anywho, got some peas, chicken, shrimp, carrots, rice, gluten free sauce (not sure which one I'm gonna try today), and whatever else I find to throw in there. :-)

Adalaide Mentor

It's been a super long time since we made any type of Asian food. I meant to on Saturday after the farmers market at the little Asian shop down that way for some Thai sauce but forgot to. The one up here in town doesn't sell the sauce we like. I have to go pick up some prescriptions tomorrow though so maybe I'll remember to stop in. I hate to make a trip all the way down there just for a little bottle of sauce, especially when I'm down there every week anyway. We both prefer pad Thai to stir fry. At least it's something a little less ordinary that I can actually get my husband to eat! :lol:

OMG I totally forgot. So last night we went shopping for some things for this weekend. I wanted to pick up some Gatorade. (I don't know what it is specifically, but something in it helps to prevent my muscle cramps and twitches when I'm more active.) We remembered we wanted fruit snacks while we were there and threw a huge box of them in the cart. Then on the way to checkout I saw a GINORMOUS bag of gummy worms. Three. Pounds. They were the same weight as the fruit snacks and 2 bucks cheaper. I haven't had them in years. All I have to do is divide them up into snack baggies. I'm so excited! I feel like a kid. ^_^ They're so much more fun to eat than fruit snacks. Yes, I'm 36 and I was so excited about gummy worms in the store that I was bouncing up and down like a toddler. Being a grown up is so overrated.

SMRI Collaborator

I LOVE gummy worms--the neon colored ones???  The last ones I found were processed in a facility with wheat--it wasn't pretty....ugggg

LauraTX Rising Star

We had our frying stuff day today.  Fried chicken tenders that I marinated to be spicy, and fried pickles, with green beans on the side.  Made extra chicken so we will have that later for a snack.  It still cracks me up that I owned a deep fryer long before my Celiac diagnosis, but never used it since I was afraid of burning down the house.  Now it comes in handy every few months or so to make stuff I can't get elsewhere!  I really really really want to try out making donuts, the real fried kind, not the baked cake donuts.  That is going to be my next experiment!

Adalaide Mentor

Best donuts you'll ever have. http://www.glutenfreeheaven.com/~glutenfr/product_info.php?products_id=46&osCsid=a0141c21f0db51ccc5f6d75cd49bb1de#.VAUVXGOKX0d I can't even begin to describe how amazing these are. I end up eating so many I feel sick every time I make them because I just can't help myself. I do always make donut holes though because I'm too lazy to make regular donuts.

LauraTX Rising Star

Best donuts you'll ever have. http://www.glutenfreeheaven.com/~glutenfr/product_info.php?products_id=46&osCsid=a0141c21f0db51ccc5f6d75cd49bb1de#.VAUVXGOKX0d I can't even begin to describe how amazing these are. I end up eating so many I feel sick every time I make them because I just can't help myself. I do always make donut holes though because I'm too lazy to make regular donuts.

Ooooh, I may need to place an order with them then!  I would probably eat myself sick with them, too.  LOL

Georgia-guy Enthusiast

Ooooh, I may need to place an order with them then! I would probably eat myself sick with them, too. LOL

I would definitely get sick with them. It's like you get that one thing (like fresh out of the over gluten free cinnamon rolls) that you can't really have elsewhere, and you sit down to eat some and save some for later, and then realize someone stole some of your food right off your plate cuz it's all gone!

SMRI Collaborator

I'll have to remember those!!  I bought some frozen donuts---they were nasty.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Gluten free baked doughnuts are super easy to make and very yummy! (and very low fat too!)

Adalaide Mentor

I don't think any of us were interested in a baked donut. I know some people look for a healthy version of every treat, and that's great for people who are into that. But when I want a donut, I want a donut and I know that from the start there is nothing healthy about it so I want what I remember a donut being so I want to go all the way with it. The good ones are fried. I think a lot of us just plain old aren't fans of cake donuts. I like the Dunkin Donuts glazed style donuts. OMG now my mouth is watering from talking about it. I think it may be time to order another bag. :ph34r:

I'm making a couple chuck tender steaks for dinner tonight. I think I have beans ready in the garden again and I may check to see if any corn is ready. Some sort of veggie type object will sort itself out by supper. I need to run some errands, pick up prescriptions and go get a haircut today. I'm still debating how much I'll get cut off. I might go crazy and go all the way up to my shoulders, I'm feeling adventurous. :blink:

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Oh okay. :)

kareng Grand Master

I have been known to eat a baked donut.....  We have a gluten-free bakery that makes donuts and I think they are baked.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I'm sure that it all depends on the tastes of the person....but I made a bunch of gluten free baked doughnuts and took them to a fall festival last fall. They also had regular gluten fried doughnuts. My gluten free doughnuts were eaten much more quickly than the gluten doughnuts. 

Of course, the gluten doughnuts were plain ones and my gluten free ones were blueberry orange with glaze. I wouldn't know whether the other ones were gross or not since I didn't eat them.  :P

kareng Grand Master

I'm sure that it all depends on the tastes of the person....but I made a bunch of gluten free baked doughnuts and took them to a fall festival last fall. They also had regular gluten fried doughnuts. My gluten free doughnuts were eaten much more quickly than the gluten doughnuts. 

Of course, the gluten doughnuts were plain ones and my gluten free ones were blueberry orange with glaze. I wouldn't know whether the other ones were gross or not since I didn't eat them.  :P

OOOOO!  I am looking for recipes for blueberries.....  Care to share?

BlessedMommy Rising Star

Here's my recipe: http://preventionrd.com/2011/07/orange-glazed-blueberry-doughnuts/

I just sub gluten free flour for the gluten flour and do any dairy modifications needed. IIRC, you do milk, so all you would need is to swap the flour out.

notme Experienced

i made blueberry muffins with the ka muffin mix - they were yums - had to hide them from the kids!  i froze half of them :)  

i have a friend who is a (cheating) celiac, but his wife cooks and bakes for him gluten free.  she is my guinea pig, now :)  whenever i make something i think is great and delicious, i make extra for her to try.  she goes to costco and is going to get me the Big Udi's Bread.  she says there are alot of other things there <ok i might go with them lolz :))