smmeri99

gluten-free Hot Sausage

Rate this topic

looking for a gluten-free sausage? I am from upstate NY.

melissa

Most sausages in the US are gluten-free. Not sure exactly what you are looking for. Read the ingredients. I think Killbosas (sp?) seem to have gluten listed when I looked.

applegate sausages are usually gluten free, I believe. Maybe this one would work?

http://www.applegatefarms.com/products/roasted_sausage.aspx

Oh, hey, just found this link - a blog post with a list of lots of gluten-free sausage brands. :-)

http://surefoodsliving.com/2009/05/hot-dogs-and-sausages-gluten-free-and-dairy-free-list/

It's a couple years old, so you might want to check anything mentioned there to make sure it is still gluten-free, though.

Some brands I like are Johnsonville for Italian sausage, Jimmy Dean for breakfast sausage and Hillshire Farms for Kielbasa and other sausages. Of course, I read the label each time I buy any sausage.

Just read the ingredients. Other than beer brats, I've found virtually no sausage that has gluten. Johnsonville, Applegate, Jimmy Dean, Kroger, Hillshire Farm and on and on. Everybody thinks sausages and hot dogs are stuffed with bread-type filler. Since going gluten-free I've discovered that just isn't true.

richard

If you live near a Wegmans their store sausage is gluten free and is quite good IMHO.

i get my sasuage from a local butcher who knows her stuff :lol: but it isn't links, just the loose stuff you can use for pattys.

Costco has a nice spicy Chorizo - Freybe's I think - pretty greasy but nice zippy flavor !!

thx everyone for your replies! I am looking for hot sausage been craving it. i will try wegmans they r an hour away but do go there randomly. was hoping Gianelli sausage was? i am not so good at reading ingredients and knowing if it is okay or not :(

melissa

thx everyone for your replies! I am looking for hot sausage been craving it. i will try wegmans they r an hour away but do go there randomly. was hoping Gianelli sausage was? i am not so good at reading ingredients and knowing if it is okay or not :(

melissa

It will say "wheat" I would bet they don't have any gluten if they are a good quality product. Maybe on Monday you could call them or email. Legally, they have to list the wheat in the US.

melissa

Bring your grocery list when you go to Wegmans. I don't know if you are aware but they label their gluten free products with a circle G. It makes shopping quick and easy with no label reading. I have never been glutened by a product that they label gluten-free. Do be aware if they have two sizes of product and one has the label and one doesn't go for the one that does. I saw some nuts and one size had the gluten-free label but one size didn't. I called them to ask why and they stated that the products were produced by different companies and the one that wasn't labeled had a high CC risk. Their rice milk is also really good and is for sure safe if you are avoiding dairy.

Bring your grocery list when you go to Wegmans. I don't know if you are aware but they label their gluten free products with a circle G. It makes shopping quick and easy with no label reading. I have never been glutened by a product that they label gluten-free. Do be aware if they have two sizes of product and one has the label and one doesn't go for the one that does. I saw some nuts and one size had the gluten-free label but one size didn't. I called them to ask why and they stated that the products were produced by different companies and the one that wasn't labeled had a high CC risk. Their rice milk is also really good and is for sure safe if you are avoiding dairy.

didn't know that abt wegmans but thanks for the info!