torkoenig84

Gluten Free Miso

Rate this topic

Firstpost on the site. Being newly-diagnosed celiac, I was wondering if anyone knew if yamabuki shiro miso paste was gluten free. The ingredient label only lists soybeans, water, rice, and salt. Didn't know if there might be unlisted and potentially harmful ingredients such as barley present. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Those four ingredients are gluten-free. If anything else was present, it would have to be listed as something. Enjoy, and welcome.

Sorry I have to disagree with Peter. My husband is Japanese and I have made homemade miso. We have researched this in both English and Japanese. The only way to know if the miso is safe is to contact the mfr. and ask about the starter culture. Starter culture for miso is sometimes/often grown on barly and then removed from it so the barley is technically not an ingredient and not listed. The started culture is called koji. You want a miso that is make with kome koji, meaning the culture is grwon on rice. Here is a link that explains the miso making process http://www.southrivermiso.com/store/pg/53-About-Miso-Making-Miso.html There is a kind of barley miso where the barley is listed in the ingredients because the barley is added after the koji growing process. That kind of miso is rarely found outside of Japan.

• Upvote 1

I went to my favorite Japanese restaurant, mentioned my gluten issues, and they wouldn't serve me their miso soup.

I went to my favorite Japanese restaurant, mentioned my gluten issues, and they wouldn't serve me their miso soup.

Most Japanese restaurants flavor miso soup with soy sauce.

I've bought soy miso and had no gluten issues.

Edited to add: As I think about it, I'm FAR less sensitive to barley gluten than wheat or rye. I'm probably a bad person to advise with respect to foods with traces of barley.

Edited by Skylark

Hmm, then what brands are safe? I got Miso Master one with koji made from rice and got glutened(I think, because I got almost right away a major migraine, although no usual bloating for some reason), and then I found in small letters - made in facility with barley :blink:

What brands of miso are safe?