This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Has This Ever Happened To You?

gfpirate

gfpirate Rookie

Today we were doing a secret santa exchange for a club that I'm in. Beforehand, we all had to write on pieces of paper what our favorite candy was, etc; so the person drawing our name would have an idea of what to get us.

For mine, I specified that I'm allergic to wheat (I figured that would be easier than saying gluten, because more people know what wheat is).

I gave suggestions like Snickers and M&Ms and Hershey's dark chocolate, all of which are gluten-free.

So today I got my gift, and it was none other than Godiva Dark Chocolate, and on the package it said it contained WHEAT!! I was thinking, "Really? This person couldn't have taken the extra 5 seconds to check the label (it's clearly listed in the allergen statement)? And why couldn't they just have gotten one of the things I suggested??"

I know this sounds like an overreaction, and it probably is, I just needed to rant :P

I understand that it's the thought that counts, and I'm thankful they got me anything at all. I guess it's just the thoughtlessness that bothers me.

Anyone have any similar stories? The holidays can be tough with Celiac :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Hey, Godiva!!! At least you have a nice gift to recycle :lol: No, peeps do not read labels much. Don't know if they even realize they are there. The only other people who read labels seem to be the ones counting calories.

gfpirate Rookie

Hey, Godiva!!! At least you have a nice gift to recycle :lol: No, peeps do not read labels much. Don't know if they even realize they are there. The only other people who read labels seem to be the ones counting calories.

Yes, I was very happy to give it to my mom who LOVES dark chocolate:)) You're totally right, if I didn't have Celiac I probably would assume chocolate didn't have wheat in it also:p

GFreeMO Proficient

It happens. Unless one is affected with celiac or food allergies, they don't pay attention to the ingredients. Just be glad that you didn't eat it!!

coco676 Newbie

I decided to avoid all Christmas functions with coworkers and my husband's coworkers because it's just not worth explaining the precautions I have to take. Sorry to hear that your Secret Santa was not v/ diligent.

Googles Community Regular

I'm conveniently avoiding the Christmas party tomorrow because I have a client and supervision. They are doing white elephant exchange, with my luck I would end up with gluten filled food at the end of it.

bigbird16 Apprentice

LOL For Christmas last year, my mom gave me a gluten-free bread mix and a regular wheaty cookie mix. I stuck the cookie mix in a plastic bag and gave it to a friend.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I'm conveniently avoiding the Christmas party tomorrow because I have a client and supervision. They are doing white elephant exchange, with my luck I would end up with gluten filled food at the end of it.

That would be the ultimate irony, wouldn't it?

I remember one time trading to get the most ridiculous gift because I had a need for a gag gift. Ironically, something glutenous now counts...

rosetapper23 Explorer

Yeah, I can relate. At our office holiday luncheon today, Outback Steakhouse catered it....but their idea of providing gluten-free "options" was to exclude serving me anything with gluten, not making any substitutions. That meant salad without dressing, no vegetables, and no dessert. I know that this particular restaurant has a gluten-free flourless chocolate cake, so I asked if they had brought one for me....and they said, "Oh, we should have thought of that. Sorry." Then there was a gift giveaway....and I won a gift certificate for an Outback Steakhouse "Blooming Onion," which is not gluten free. **sigh**

Also, I might add that my sister gives me, my mother, and both of my children (all of whom have celiac) a big tin of gingerbread cookies every Christmas even though she knows we can't eat them. My children feel so tempted, they usually end up cheating by eating a few of them...and then getting very sick. What's THAT all about?? What's wrong with her??

Oh, and lastly, tomorrow my boss is hosting a reception at Chevy's....and here in California, Chevy's doesn't accommodate people with celiac...so there will be nothing for me to eat. So, I will sit there politely nursing a drink and eating nothing. The holidays really tend to get me down...

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I got wheat germ oil containing lotion. I'll just give it away. It was hard enough for me to figure this stuff out. I can't expect it of casual acquaintances.

Darn210 Enthusiast

I'm sure they thought they were being generous with the Godiva . . . and in most cases they would be . . . and really why would anyone (other than the label-reading-celiacs (and their mothers ;) )think that there might be a possibility of wheat in chocolate.

I have to throw out a good story, too . . . just to remind people that it DOES happen . . .

Every year I get a call from the school nurse to remind me to send a gluten free cookie in for my daughter for the school holiday party. (I always appreciate the reminder because the holidays get so busy.) Last year's teacher didn't know that I would send something in and she knew that my daughter needed to be gluten free. She brought in a bag of gluten free cookies for her to make sure she had something.

Celtic Queen Explorer
Last year's teacher didn't know that I would send something in and she knew that my daughter needed to be gluten free. She brought in a bag of gluten free cookies for her to make sure she had something.

What an awesome teacher. She deserves a raise :)

It is hard this time of year. We get a lot of food at the office. I just keep telling myself my coworkers that I'm going to be really skinny by the time the holidays are over because I'm not eating any of that stuff.

lynnelise Apprentice

That would annoy me too! I guess the person was probably thinking they were being generous and giving you an upgrade. Who would think wheat was in chocolate? Crazy.

Of course the people I work with offer me cookies all the time and don't seem to understand that flour=wheat=gluten. I will tell them I can't have one and they look so surprised and say "gluten is in everything!" lol.

Mom of Boys Rookie

Would it be wrong to bring your own food?

Yeah, I can relate. At our office holiday luncheon today, Outback Steakhouse catered it....but their idea of providing gluten-free "options" was to exclude serving me anything with gluten, not making any substitutions. That meant salad without dressing, no vegetables, and no dessert. I know that this particular restaurant has a gluten-free flourless chocolate cake, so I asked if they had brought one for me....and they said, "Oh, we should have thought of that. Sorry." Then there was a gift giveaway....and I won a gift certificate for an Outback Steakhouse "Blooming Onion," which is not gluten free. **sigh**

Also, I might add that my sister gives me, my mother, and both of my children (all of whom have celiac) a big tin of gingerbread cookies every Christmas even though she knows we can't eat them. My children feel so tempted, they usually end up cheating by eating a few of them...and then getting very sick. What's THAT all about?? What's wrong with her??

Oh, and lastly, tomorrow my boss is hosting a reception at Chevy's....and here in California, Chevy's doesn't accommodate people with celiac...so there will be nothing for me to eat. So, I will sit there politely nursing a drink and eating nothing. The holidays really tend to get me down...

Mom of Boys Rookie

I'm sure they thought they were being generous with the Godiva . . . and in most cases they would be . . . and really why would anyone (other than the label-reading-celiacs (and their mothers ;) )think that there might be a possibility of wheat in chocolate.

I have to throw out a good story, too . . . just to remind people that it DOES happen . . .

Every year I get a call from the school nurse to remind me to send a gluten free cookie in for my daughter for the school holiday party. (I always appreciate the reminder because the holidays get so busy.) Last year's teacher didn't know that I would send something in and she knew that my daughter needed to be gluten free. She brought in a bag of gluten free cookies for her to make sure she had something.

We need a "like" button! HOw sweet of that teacher!

Archived