This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Cookies At Work

MJ-S

MJ-S Contributor

Title says it all.

Right now there's a giant overflowing plate of cookies directly on the other side of my cubicle wall at work (I'm adjacent to the cube that gets used as the kitchen, and the counter is up against my cube wall). Everyone keeps coming in and gushing about the cookies, and I hear it very clearly.

People at my work are obsessed with food. It's constant pizza, cookies, cakes, etc. all day long.

I try my best to ignore it and I think I usually handle it pretty well, but today I'm just depressed and sick of hearing about food I can't eat all day long.

:(

Just wanted to rant.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Nasty stale things that are cold and pasty. Nothing like the fabulous warm peanut butter cookies you'll make this weekend and eat all warm and chewy right out of the oven. :)

Takala Enthusiast

People at my work are obsessed with food. It's constant pizza, cookies, cakes, etc. all day long.

Sounds like a case of mass malnourishment, to me. :P:rolleyes::o:blink:;)

edited to add: just reading that makes me feel queasy.

MJ-S Contributor

Nasty stale things that are cold and pasty. Nothing like the fabulous warm peanut butter cookies you'll make this weekend and eat all warm and chewy right out of the oven. :)

I haven't worked up to making cookies yet (need to find a good dairy free recipe for this). I may need to, and soon. Fave is choc chip.

Kimbalou Enthusiast

Do you like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups? That's what I treat myself to when things like this happen. Just keep some of your favorite snacks with you for times like these. Or, think about all the weight they will gain eating all that crap!!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

If you can do nuts I highly reco an Elana's Pantry recipe. There's a triple chocolate chip recipe that's un-freaking-believable and is milk free.

And isn't there a way to move to a different cube??? Ack!

IrishHeart Veteran

I haven't worked up to making cookies yet (need to find a good dairy free recipe for this). I may need to, and soon. Fave is choc chip.

Here, kiddo. :)

Try these. Get yourself some Enjoy Life chocolate chips or chunks (no dairy) and bring them in to work with you. ;)

Easy peasy recipe.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Melissa Palomo Apprentice

I hear you - people bring in food all of the time and rarely is it something I can have... I tell myself it's easier to stay thin that way and then giggle when I realize they'll all hate themselves later for eating it. Cruel in my head? TOtally - but it's my survival mechanism. :D

MJ-S Contributor

Thanks! I'll try one (or all) of these.

And no, I tried already to move cubes, but we don't have any other available spaces. I'd have to trade, and nobody is willing to move.

If I had a dr's note I'm sure I could, but just being near the food is not making me sick (as far as I know). It's more mental angst and annoyance than anything.

IrishHeart Veteran

It's more mental angst and annoyance than anything.

In time, this will pass. I promise!

I feel myself gagging now when I see food like that all clustered together. Blech! I would have been one of the first ones to waddle up and fill a plate with that junk to graze on. As a former chubbo myself, I look at it all now and think....that is just going to make someone's arse fat, clog their arteries and make them gluten-headed. Who needs that? :rolleyes::lol:

Make your own gluten-free goodies, have some fruit and some chips handy, for moments like these and tell yourself "I am going to live a long and healthy life". :)

You're going to be okay, hon. It's temporary and you have every right to grieve and vent. (hug)

love2travel Mentor

Think of how awesome it will be when you take your own homemade cookies to work that taste exactly like gluten cookies or better. My favourite chocolate cookie recipe follows:

Open Original Shared Link They are the BEST EVER! People cannot tell they are gluten free whatsoever.

Monael Apprentice

Sometimes I get a craving for something that has gluten. I think it is natural, because the things I miss do taste great. I think that somehow my mind found a way to deal with it, because I really don't get tempted. I don't want to feel sick, and I know what that will bring me. So I just eat something else yummy :) Have a yummy snack handy (I love chocolate so that will always work for me :D )

mommida Enthusiast

Umm well I just ordered from Lizlovely glutenfree vegan selection. Her chocolate chip cookie tastes like cookie dough batter, so it is not my favorite. Right now there is a 15 % sale on the new gluten free cookie options. The new peanut butter ones are awesome!

You can order a case and freeze them.

I don't have any ties to the company, or get any fininacial compensation from them. The cookies are a great gluten free splurge. The vegan makes them egg and dairy free too for those with more diet restrictions. :D

mommida Enthusiast

The code OMGMARCH2012 is good until the end of (you guessed it) March at www.lizlovely.com

Skylark Collaborator

Thanks! I'll try one (or all) of these.

And no, I tried already to move cubes, but we don't have any other available spaces. I'd have to trade, and nobody is willing to move.

If I had a dr's note I'm sure I could, but just being near the food is not making me sick (as far as I know). It's more mental angst and annoyance than anything.

You need have a relaxed chat with your HR person if this is bothering you all the time. He/she may be able to arrange a cube trade if you can make an argument that the constant annoyance and mild upset is affecting your productivity.

I'd recommend the Betty Crocker gluten-free chocolate cookie mix. It comes out great!

xjrosie Apprentice

I just pretend that they're all Celiac sufferers too, but not smart enough to stay away from the snacks. I imagine how they're going to suffer later in the bathroom. Then I chuckle and move on.

May not totally help, but if you can distract your mind from the actual eating of snacks, maybe it will get you through.

Good luck. I personally have a hallway full of Girl Scout cookies at home, so I understand your pain.

ciamarie Rookie

I'm replying to this before reading to the end of the thread, so apologies if it's duplicate info. But, for dairy free you should be able to sub palm shortening for the butter in most cookie recipes, I would think? I got brave and made some sugar cookies a couple of weeks ago, and I did use butter (and a favorite Fannie Farmer recipe), plust adding some guar gum. But they flattened out a lot while baking, which is apparently a common issue with gluten-free cookies. So I searched these forums and on my next attempt I'll sub some of the butter for shortening, and also reduce the overall amount of butter (and shortening) in the recipe by about 25-30%.

And I hear ya, about having all that (not really) yummy stuff right over your cubie-wall!

sharilee Rookie

Title says it all.

Right now there's a giant overflowing plate of cookies directly on the other side of my cubicle wall at work (I'm adjacent to the cube that gets used as the kitchen, and the counter is up against my cube wall). Everyone keeps coming in and gushing about the cookies, and I hear it very clearly.

I try my best to ignore it and I think I usually handle it pretty well, but today I'm just depressed and sick of hearing about food I can't eat all day long.

:(

Just wanted to rant.

I have the same problem at work. It is not easy. I keep gluten free snacks in my desk drawer to nibble on when there are temptations at work.

Archived