Jump to content
  • Sign Up


Advanced Members
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About jmoody74

  • Rank
  1. We live near Portland, Maine. My son (10 years old) was diagnosed the beginning of this year. Found any good places to get gluten-free baked goods around Portland? His birthdays coming up and I am so scared about trying to bake a cake.
  2. Thanks for all the replies. They are very helpful, moreso than you'll ever know. I have given my son gluten for the last time I have never heard of Enterolab before. Is this company legit/reliable/worth the money? It sounds almost too good to be true, gluten sensitivity testing without needles/biopsies or having to torture him with gluten. Have many of you tried this with satisfying results? I may have to have a fund raiser just to pay for it, but at least I may have peace of mind afterwards and not guilt. Thanks again
  3. I also wanted to add a few points I don't think I mentioned before. My primary physician put my son on gluten-free diet before we saw the pediatric GI. He ended up being on that gluten-free diet for 5 months. Then the pediatric GI did celiac blood work. The plan was that if it came pack positive we would do a biopsy right away. If it came back negative, we could give him gluten for 8 to 10 weeks and then do a biopsy. Needless to say, the bloodwork came back negative (probably because he was gluten-free for 5 months). So now it has been 18 days since introducing gluten and I am very close to just cancelling the biopsy. Seeing him in this much pain just doesn't seem worth it. Also, does anyone think it would help to do another blood panel now that he is eating gluten again and it is obviously back in his system? That makes sense to me but I am not a doctor and very new at this celiac stuff.
  4. I am going crazy! My 10 year old was gluten free for 5 months. Then we were FINALLY able to get him an appt with the pediatric GI doctor. He scheduled him for biopsies but said we have to put him back on gluten for 8 weeks and then do the biopsy. Well, it has only been two weeks. The first week was ok, not too much trouble. This past week has been a living hell. He is in so much pain, diarrhea for a week straight now and last night he started vomiting. I don't think I can do this for another 6 weeks. Anyone got any advice or help to give? I would appreciate any words of wisdom right now. I really can't stand to see him like this any longer. My husband is ready to call the doctor and tell him we quit! Please help Thanks
  5. Seems like I may be having to make this decision soon also. My 10 yo son was told right off to start gluten free diet without having any celiac specific blood tests, now I have to wait 7 weeks for him to see a ped GI doctor. He is going so well on the gluten free foods that I do not want to have to make that choice between making him sick or finding out for sure. I am very new with this (doctor just suggested celiac as a possibility 3 weeks ago) so not sure what the outcome will be. Glad to know there are others going through this and having a hard time with the choice. Hang in there!
  6. Thanks Laura, Your response was extremely helpful. I am not sure about putting him back on gluten for the blood tests. I figured that might be what needs to happen but I really don't know how I feel about putting him through all that pain again. I guess we'll just see how he feels. I look forward to communicating in this forum and will probably have many more questions. Thanks for making me feel welcome during this trying time for us. My son actually feels better knowing he isn't the only kid out there with this, although he does feel singled out in the classroom. This is much more extensive than I could have ever imagined. I never thought about school lunches, birthday parties, etc. Guess we have a long road ahead of us. THanks again, Jen
  7. Hi, This is my first post but I've been coming on for a while and reading posts and it has been very helpful. My situation is this. My 10 year old son has been sick for over a year with stomach problems. My primary care provider originally diagnosed him with reflux, then a slew of other things, until just recently, 3 weeks ago, saying "maybe it could be celiac disease". He did some blood work and told us to start him gluten free, which we have done. At his 2 week check up, I found out that he did not do the appropriate blood work to diagnose celiac disease, he only did a CBC which was "relatively normal". He is now sending him to a pediatric gastro. but I have to wait another 7 weeks for that appt. I am not sure if when we get to that appt, he will be able to be properly diagnosed seeing as he will have been gluten free for 3 months by then. He has been going OK on this new gluten free diet but still has occasional stomach problems which I think stems from our inexperience in completely reading and dissecting labels. I just am stuck right now and not sure what to do or how to proceed. This is all so confusing and waiting for another 7 weeks for help just seems like an aweful long time. Any ideas, or advise? Will the tests be accurate when he finally sees an appropriate doctor, and should I just assume he has celiac disease because this diet has caused such an improvement in his condition? Thanks Jen
  • Create New...