7 replies to this topic

#1 irish

irish

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 12:27 PM

Thank God for this messageboard. What is Glutamine and acidophilus. This is the first time I am hearing about these? Loretta

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kathy

Kathy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 12:32 PM

Irish I am with you.. I have never heard of them either.. Hope someone can helps us with this.. need all the help we can to make our lives better.. B)

#3 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 02:18 PM

irish and Kathy,

Glutamine is a specific amino acid. I don't know exactly what it is used for in the body, but I believe it can help regulate mood, control cravings, and heal gut damage--all useful things for us celiacs! Acidophilus (Lactobacillus acidophilus) is a friendly bacterium that is best known as the culturing agent in yogurt. It is desirable to have a flourishing colony of acidophilus and related beneficial microbes in the large intestine, because they assist in digestion and crowd out any bacterial bullies that try to cause trouble.

I hope this information is helpful!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#4 Kathy

Kathy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 05:21 AM

Ok.. that helps alot, but one more question... Where do you get these products, I eat quite a bit of yogurt, but is this something you can take in a vitamin type form? I have had a liver transplant that is contributed alot to my gluten problems and do suffer alot of bloating at times... Is this a product that would help with that I would be so happy.. So I guess where do I get these products .. are they something I am doing wrong on my diet or is this another vitamin or supplement that I can add to the numerous pills I take every day?
Thanks for any further information anyone can supply.. Hugs to all.. Kathy :huh:

#5 Guest_TESTinME_*

Guest_TESTinME_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2004 - 06:16 AM

Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in our bodies. It's good for immunity, recovery from workouts & muscle mass, but especially usefull for assisting the gut in healing itself.

Acidopholous is just one of many "good bacteria" in your colon. Your colon has both good and bad bacteria in it and for people with digestive problems, they often have more bad bacteria then good. Taking acidopholus and boosting the good bacteria in your colon will help overall bowel health. Many yogurts brands you buy at the grocery store do not have enough (or any) active bacteria in them.

Both supplements can be found in the health food store. Acidopholous is usually in the fridge. Often times you will find it mixed with Bifidus (another good bacteria) and FOS, which is basically food for good bacteria and helps the good bacteria multiply.

A quick search on he internet will provide lots of info.

#6 Guest_TESTinME_*

Guest_TESTinME_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2004 - 06:21 AM

http://www.healthand...dophiluscs.html

Article from above link:

Lactobacillus acidophilus (L. acidophilus) is the most commonly used probiotic, or "friendly" bacteria. Such healthy bacteria inhabit the intestines and vagina and protect against the entrance and proliferation of "bad" organisms that can cause disease. This is accomplished through a variety of mechanisms. For example, the breakdown of food by L. acidophilus leads to production of lactic acid, hydrogen peroxide, and other byproducts that make the environment hostile for undesired organisms. L. acidophilus also produces lactase, the enzyme that breaks down milk sugar (lactose) into simple sugars. People who are lactose intolerant do not produce this enzyme. For this reason, L. acidophilus supplements may be beneficial for these individuals.

Other potential probiotics include a variety of Lactobacillus species (spp.), such as the caseiGG, rhamnosus, NCFM, DDS-1, and johnsonii strains, Bifidobacterium longum, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Streptococcus thermophilus, Enterococcus faecium, Saccharaomyces boulardii, Bacillus spp., and Escherichia coli.

Prebiotics refers to the soluble fiber component found in certain foods or supplements that stimulate the growth of probiotics in the gastrointestinal tract.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uses

Probiotics offer a variety of potential therapeutic uses. These include the following:

Replacing the "friendly" intestinal bacteria destroyed by antibiotics.
Aiding digestion and suppressing disease-causing bacteria.
Preventing and treating diarrhea, including infectious diarrhea, particularly from rotavirus (a virus that commonly causes diarrhea in children).
Treating overgrowth of "bad" organisms in the gastrointestinal tract (a condition that tends to cause diarrhea and may occur from use of antibiotics).
Alleviating symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome and, possibly, inflammatory bowel disease (such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis).
Preventing and/or reducing the recurrence of vaginal yeast infections, urinary tract infections, and cystitis (bladder inflammation). The best scientific evidence exists for vaginal infections.
Improving lactose absorption digestion in people who are lactose intolerant
Enhancing the immune response. Studies have suggested that consumption of yogurt or milk that contains specific strains of Lactobacillus or supplements with Lactobacillus or Bifidobacterium may improve the natural immune response. Further research is needed to confirm these early findings and to best understand how the improved immune function may or may not help in warding off infections.
Aiding the treatment of respiratory infections such as sinusitis, bronchitis, and pneumonia. More research is needed in this area.
Lowering risk of allergies. Examples include asthma, hay fever, food allergies to milk, and skin reactions such as eczema.
Helping to treat high cholesterol. More research is needed.
Reducing the risk of recurring bladder tumors once this cancer has been treated. Much more research is needed in this area.
Other conditions under investigation for use of probiotics include colon cancer, HIV related diarrhea, and Helicobacter pylori, an organism that can lead to development of ulcers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dietary Sources

The primary dietary sources of L. acidophilus include milk enriched with acidophilus, yogurt containing live L. acidophilus cultures, miso, and tempeh.

Prebiotics are found in breast milk, onions, tomatoes, bananas, honey, barley, garlic and wheat.

Available Forms

L. acidophilus preparations consist of dried or liquid cultures of living bacteria. These cultures are usually grown in milk but can sometimes be grown in milk-free cultures. L. acidophilus is available in the following forms:

Freeze-dried granules
Freeze-dried powders
Freeze-dried capsules
Liquid L. acidophilus preparations (which must be kept refrigerated)
Prebiotics occur naturally in foods, but supplements provide a more concentrated source of this substance. Prebiotics are oligosacchrides, chains of sugar units linked together. Inulin is a long-chain oligosacchride (from 2-60 sugars) and fructooligosaccharides (FOS) are short-chain oligosaccharides (from 2-7 sugars). It is not clear at this time which type of prebiotic is most effective.

How to Take It

Pediatric

Newborns and Infants (0 to 1 year)

Liquid preparations may be used as a lotion and applied topically to diaper area for yeast infections and diaper rashes.
If the child is on antibiotic therapy, ¼ tsp or ¼ capsule can be taken orally 2 hours after each dose of antibiotics to replace beneficial bacteria.
Add ¼ tsp or ¼ capsule to water for the treatment of oral infections.
Children (1 to 12 years)

Refer to recommended dosage on product label
Adult

Recommended doses of L. acidophilus vary depending on the health condition being treated. Check the specific dosage recommendations on the product label. The following list provides guidelines for the most common uses:

Prevention or treatment of diarrhea: 1 to 2 billion viable cells per day (some experts may recommend up to ten billion cells per day)
Vaginal infections: 8 ounces of yogurt (with live active cultures containing one of the Lactobacillus or Bifidobacterium strains listed above) daily or an oral daily supplement containing at least 1 to 2 billion live organisms. Clinical experience also suggests that placing yogurt with live acidophilus cultures directly to the vaginal area, using a disposable spatula and wearing a sanitary pad, helps to relieve itching and inflammation. Similarly, lactobacillus capsules or tablets may be inserted directly into the vagina.
Cystitis: 1 to 2 capsules or tablets inserted into the vagina nightly for two weeks
Maintaining normal intestinal flora: 1 to 10 billion viable cells per day

Precautions

Because of the potential for side effects and interactions with medications, dietary supplements should be taken only under the supervision of a knowledgeable healthcare provider.

Mild gastrointestinal upset may occur in some individuals (not on antibiotic therapy) who take more than 1 to 2 billion L. acidophilus cells per day.

There has been one report of anaphylaxis (a serious allergic reaction accompanied by shortness of breath and loss of consciousness) in a person taking inulin, a type of prebiotic.

Possible Interactions

If you are currently being treated with any of the following medications, you should not use Lactobacillus or other probiotics without first talking to your healthcare provider.

Sulfasalazine
A laboratory study suggests that L. acidophilus speeds up metabolism of sulfasalazine, a medication used to treat ulcerative colitis. The significance of this information is unknown at this time.

#7 Guest_TESTinME_*

Guest_TESTinME_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2004 - 06:34 AM

Link/info for glutamine (I take 10 grams/day):

http://www.wellfx.co..._glutamine_.htm

Glutamine is an amino acid, one of the building blocks of protein that are linked together by peptide bonds in specific chemical arrangements to form proteins. It is found in both plant and animal proteins and is available in a variety of supplemental forms.

Glutamine helps the body maintain the correct acid­alkaline balance and is a necessary part of the synthesis of RNA and DNA. Glutamine also helps promote a healthy digestive tract.

Unlike other amino acids that have a single nitrogen atom, glutamine contains two nitrogen atoms that enable it to transfer nitrogen and remove ammonia from body tissues. Glutamine readily passes the blood­brain barrier and, within the brain, is converted to glutamic acid, which the brain needs to function properly. It also increases the amount of GABA, which is needed to sustain proper brain function and mental activity.

It assists in maintaining the proper acid/alkaline balance in the body, and is the basis of the building blocks for the synthesis of RNA and DNA. It promotes mental ability and maintenance of a healthy digestive tract.

No other nutrient is as important for gastrointestinal health. Glutamine rapidly facilitates healing and restores the health of mucous membranes inside the colon (large intestine). Just 1.6 grams per day, is used to treat peptic ulcers. Research proved that supplementation lessens stomach inflammation caused by chemotherapy and can be useful in treating diarrhea.

The body cannot synthesize enough glutamine to heal wounds, preserve lean tissue and nourish the immune system following surgery or physical stress. Providing supplemental glutamine avoids all of these complications, normalizes the amino acid levels, speeds healing, and improves overall surgical recovery.

The primary source of energy for the immune system is glutamine. One of the reasons that cancer lose lean tissue and muscle mass is because of a depletion of glutamine. Polyps in the colon, have a significantly lower glutamine content than healthy tissue.

Chemotherapy's toxic side effects can be shielded from the liver, animal studies show, and might strengthen the cancer-killing ability of certain chemotherapeutic drugs with glutamine supplementation.

When our T cell reserve is low, a standard measurement of immune activity, the cells, called macrophages, lose strength. But when L-glutamine is given in dosages of 20-40 grams daily the immune system responds, as demonstrated by the extra infection safeguard it provided in studies of patients with bone marrow transplants.

Glutamine is an essential treatment for AIDS or viral chronic fatigue syndrome.

Glutamine can inhibit fatty buildups inside the liver and aid treatment of cirrhosis.

Glutamine has been used to curb the desire to drink alcohol. A daily dose of 12 grams (about 3 teaspoons) helped 75 percent of the people studied in one experiment. Curbing cravings for sugar can be alleviated by taking 1-2 grams of L-glutamine, preferably with some heavy cream and just a touch of nonsugar sweetener. The National Institute of Mental Health also acknowledged glutamine's influence on sugar cravings.

By preserving lean tissue, which contributes to burning off fat, the amino acid helps cleanse the body and liver of waste products that are created by fat metabolism. In this way, glutamine may help obese persons with weight loss.

Weight lifters can benefit from glutamine supplementation because it assists in the repair and preservation of muscle tissue. Prolonged exercise causes microscopic injuries to the muscles and, for a long as two weeks after a workout, lowers body's glutamine stores.

Deficiency: Conditions that have been treated with L-glutamine supplements include fibrosis, autoimmune diseases, arthritis, intestinal ailments, peptic ulcers, diseases of the connective tissues, tissue damage caused by radiation treatment, developmental disabilities, epilepsy, schizophrenia, fatigue, and impotence.

Sources: Many plant and animal substances contain glutamine, but cooking easily destroys it. If eaten raw, spinach and parsley are good sources. Soy proteins, milk, meats and cabbage are additional sources. Supplemental glutamine should be kept absolutely dry or the powder will degrade into ammonia and pyroglutamic acid.

Precautions: Glutamine should not be taken by persons with cirrhosis of the liver, kidney problems, Reye's syndrome, or any type of disorder that can result in an accumulation of ammonia in the blood. For such individuals, taking supplemental glutamine may only cause further damage to the body. Be aware that although the names sound similar, glutamine, glutamic acid (also sometimes called glutamate) glutathione, gluten, and monosodium glutamate are all different substances.

Dosage Ranges and Duration of Administration: L-forms of amino acid supplements such as L-glutamine are believed to be more compatible with human biochemistry than D-forms because the chemical structure spirals to the left.

Glutamine supplements, like all amino acid supplements, should be taken on an empty stomach, preferably in the morning or between meals.
For peptic ulcers, 500 mg daily, taken on an empty stomach, is recommended.

Because L-glutamine possibly reduces sugar and alcohol cravings, it could be considered for treating recovering alcoholics. Suggested dose: 1,000 mg tid with 50 mg of vitamin B6, on an empty stomach.

To treat irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), eliminate foods that trigger symptoms and take glutamine (500 mg tid) and peppermint oil (1 capsule three to six times daily).

For stasis ulcers (open sores on the leg that are caused by poor blood flow), take each day: glutamine (500 mg) with a basic nutritional supplement program and vitamin C (2,000 mg in divided doses with meals and at bedtime), vitamin A (10,000 IU), zinc (22.5 to 50 mg), and vitamin E (400 IU orally and additional vitamin E oil squeezed from capsules onto the wound to aid healing and prevent recurrence).
To aid wound healing, take glutamine (500 mg) with a basic vitamin-mineral formula and vitamin C (2,000 mg divided at meals and bedtime), vitamin A (10,000 IU), zinc (22.5 to 50 mg), vitamin E (400 IU), and vitamin B3 (100 mg) daily.

#8 Kathy

Kathy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 08:23 AM

;) Thank you Thank you so much for all of the infomation.. You went well above anything I expected.. I will copy this information and take to my doctor since I had the liver transplant, I don't take anything without checking with the transplant team first.. This is all very interesting to me.. I have scleroderma along with the celiac disorder so along with all the meds I take (about 24 per day) my immune system is screwed up alot.. But following the diet we need to follow helps alot.. Maybe some of these additions will help make it alittle easier.. Thanks again for all of the info.. I am so glad that I finally got into this site.. Been using the Gluten Free Mall for a long time, but didn't know about this site..
See you around the site later.. Thanks again.. Kathy :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: