Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Confused About Oats

2 posts in this topic

I am a little confused on the use of oats. I had read that many countries including our own think that oats are ok for the gluten free diet. I am very sensitive since I have been gluten free since May of last year but every once in awhile I do experience some of the gluten symptoms so I was wondering. Are we sure that oats are OK ??? Or have I been poisining my body? Please advise ?

Thanks Pat Embury

Ads by Google:

The real answer: there is no real answer.

Studies show that the protein structure of avenin (the oat-specific gluten molecule) is only somewhat similar to the protein structure of gliandin (the wheat-specific gluten molecule). So, in theory, oats should be safe for most celiacs. Almost all clinical trials have found that many patients tolerate MODERATE quantities (~50g/week, I believe) of specially grown, uncontaminated oats without changes in blood serology or intestinal damage. BUT almost all of these trials have a non-trivial number of drop-outs (5-15%) from patients who experience severe symptoms. This leads me to believe that MOST celiacs will be find with MODERATE amounts of UNCONTAMINATED oats, but not all.

Problem is, uncontaminated oats are hard to find. Someone once examined the gliandin content of various brands of oats and found that McCann's were - by far - the least contaminated. Contaminated at levels low enough that we wouldn't really worry about it. (I believe it was on the order of 0.002% of the protein was gliandin.) Most other major brands, and virtually all American brands, have problems with the oats being grown near wheat fields, or the oat crops being rotated with wheat crops, and hence getting wheat in the oat harvest.

In the end, it's a personal decision. You might try eliminating oats from your diet for a week (making sure that you are doing a VERY good job to keep everything else gluten-free) and then trying a bowl of oatmeal and seeing how you feel. A dietary challenge can be an effective, and conclusive, test in and of itself.