17 replies to this topic

#1 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:46 PM

My doctor tested me for vitamin D deficiency last week and just called to say that I need to take 2000 mg/day of Vitamin D. This probably explains why my psoriasis has been worse, but I don't seem to have any other symptoms.

Has anyone else had this? I've been gluten free for quite a while, but now I'm wondering if I'm having some type of malabsorption problem.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 DebS

DebS

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 06:19 PM

My doctor tested me for vitamin D deficiency last week and just called to say that I need to take 2000 mg/day of Vitamin D. This probably explains why my psoriasis has been worse, but I don't seem to have any other symptoms.

Has anyone else had this? I've been gluten free for quite a while, but now I'm wondering if I'm having some type of malabsorption problem.

I was diagnosed as having a vitamin D deficiency as well and I'm now taking 2000mg a day of vitamin D. I know I would have a vitamin D deficiency even if I didn't have a gluten intolerance problem (not diagnosed as celiac, just a high IgG number so no damage to my intestines). I've read that the vast majority of people in this country are deficient in vitamin D because of our fear of the sun. We've been told for so many years to avoid the sun like the plague and since the only way our bodies can make vitamin D is through sun exposure...well you do the math. Anyway, I wouldn't worry that the low vitamin D level is a sign of malabsorption...just my opinion though.
Deb,
Diagnosed with gluten sensitivity 12/15/06...gluten-free since then.

#3 Ursa Major

Ursa Major

My grandson Eli, 12 months

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:33 PM

Actually, the vitamin D deficiency is both a sign that people don't get enough sun exposure, AND a symptom of celiac disease. We do get some vitamin D in food (in butter, for instance), and it can't get absorbed when your small intestine is damaged.

I was deficient in vitamin D as well when tested in November of 2005. I started supplementing with cod liver oil (the Carlson brand, which doesn't taste gross), and the last time I got tested had gone to have too much vitamin D! So, I had to stop taking as much.

And that is the best and most natural way of getting vitamin D, in cod liver oil. You get your essential omega 3 fatty acids at the same time as vitamin D.
I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:30 PM

Actually, the vitamin D deficiency is both a sign that people don't get enough sun exposure, AND a symptom of celiac disease. We do get some vitamin D in food (in butter, for instance), and it can't get absorbed when your small intestine is damaged.

I was deficient in vitamin D as well when tested in November of 2005. I started supplementing with cod liver oil (the Carlson brand, which doesn't taste gross), and the last time I got tested had gone to have too much vitamin D! So, I had to stop taking as much.

And that is the best and most natural way of getting vitamin D, in cod liver oil. You get your essential omega 3 fatty acids at the same time as vitamin D.

Actually, this kind of concerns me. I've been fanatically gluten-free for about 15 months and I've been wheat free and very gluten light for almost 11 years. And, I don't actually have Celiac - I don't even have the right genes, so I shouldn't even have had intestinal damage. And to top it off, I've been taking cod liver oil off and on for a few years too.

My doctor was curious about my vitamin D level because she thought I might have a deficiency, but I'm using some vitamin D psoriasis medication that often makes people have too much of it. It just doesn't make sense that I'm deficient. I've been doing some research and am wondering if I'm also low on calcium - I'm intolerant to dairy and don't always remember to take my calcium supplements.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#5 super_sally888

super_sally888

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:52 PM

Hi,

I was never tested for Vit D levels, but my calcium levels are often too low.

They did look at parathyroid function way back, and it was out. The treatment of calcitriol (biologically active vitamin D) - not the one you get in regular vit tablets, which is the precursor of the active Vit D (they assume your body will convert it to vit D - and most people do). My problem was/is not lack of sun exposure. I live in a tropical country and I am a triathlete. Yes I use sunscreen, but my tan proves I do have regular sun exposure. This vit D brought my calcium levels up to mid normal range.

Recently calcium is low again (dr. has already prescribed Vit D and Calcium) but I will be testing parathyroid again before I start that...

Sally
Sally
Aussie living in Philippines, Manager, Triathlete, Mum to 2 dogs, 2 cats & fish
___________________________________________________________________________________
Hypothyroid, diag. 2000, desicated thryoid 3 grains + T4 50 mcg.
Pituitary adenoma, 2002 - no treatment (no followup yet)
Polycystic, 2000 - no treatment
IBD by biopsy - end 2006 (cause not investigated)
Suspected Gluten intolerant/celiac - not diagnosed
Gluten Free - start Dec 06 (big improvement in tummy troubles, though still not 100%..)
Allergies suspected to Rice, Mango, Chicken, some fish (though testing)... still trying to work it all out.

#6 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 12:24 AM

I am low in Vit D and high in Calcium. Dr is watching and will supp Vit D and recheck Calcium. Parathyroid was mentioned. It doesn't make sense for me to be low in Vit D here in Australia, but Dr said many people are now. I am using a D3 liquid 1 x month.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#7 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 08:33 AM

Be sure to take the OILY vitamin D3 called Cholecaliferol, not the D2 or the dry D3. I think GNC or Vitamin Shop has Carlson's brand which comes in 2000 IU.

D deficiency is being linked to all kinds of disease now. Here's some web sites that write about D: vitamindcouncil.com

This heart doctor writes a lot about it.

There's a growing group of doctors that believe our population is very deficient in Vit. D due to where we live and the fact we're not outside in the sun with our skin exposed (and not slathered with sun-screen).

#8 georgie

georgie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:57 PM

Yes, its an oily D3 made up by a compounding chemist.

Vit D seems to be so important. The Dr is even treating my husbands Type 2 Diabetes ( just dx) with it - and not Diabetes meds. Low levels are also linked to breast & prostate cancers.

Diagnosed May 2006 - Hashimotos Thyroid after being diagnosed in 1977 and told it didn't matter.
Diagnosed June 2006 with adrenal insufficiency.
Diagnosed June 2006 as Gluten Intolerant after I failed the Challenge Diet. Negative blood test.No biopsy.
Diagnosed June 2006 as B12 low. Needed weekly injections for a year.Still have them every 2 weeks.
Trialled Dairy Free Diet and reacted positively to that challenge in January 07.
News Flash! Coeliac Genetic Testing done April 08 . DQ2 Positive !
Diagnosed July 2010 FODMAP. Limits on Fructose, lactose, polyols, fructans. NO ONION! But I can have hard cheese, butter and cream again!!!

#9 Gentleheart

Gentleheart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:02 PM

Other than rickets in extreme cases, what are the typical symptoms of vitamin D deficiency?

#10 Nancym

Nancym

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,026 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:40 PM

They're finding cancer, osteoperosis and stuff like that linked to D deficiency. So the symptoms are nasty, nasty diseases that might kill you. :P They really should be doing routine Vit D testing in blood.

#11 angst2amity

angst2amity

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 February 2007 - 07:51 AM

Look at this. I have severe Vitamin D deficiency and high blood calcium.

http://www.parathyro...id-symptoms.htm
Chronic Ear Infections
Chronic Tooth/Jaw Infections
Chronic Sinus Infections
Recent Sinus Surgeries
New Migraines
New Occipital Neuralgia
New SUPER HIGH ANA
New Vitamin D deficiency
New High Calcium - hyperparathyroidism?
Recent Sugar & Wheat Intolerance - Facial Flushing and Headache
Lyme Negative
12/06 Tested (-) for Celiac after 2 - 3 months Gluten Free

#12 Lahoma

Lahoma

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:18 PM

Other than rickets in extreme cases, what are the typical symptoms of vitamin D deficiency?

Some of the symptoms are:

Bone/joint pain (particularly in the long bones of the body)
muscle aches and fatigue
Muscle spasms particularly in face and feet
General Fatigue
difficulty sleeping

After 2 years of being gluten free and taking 2000 IU of vitamin D per day I am still vitamin D deficient :( I now am starting a weekly prescription vitamin D supplementation routine - I think it is like 50,000 IU per week for 10 weeks - and hopefully it will fix this up for me, but they are worried about why I would still be deficient (maybe refractory sprue? but my bloodwork was negative for antibodies) so its more trips to the doctor for me.

#13 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:26 PM

I just thought that I'd add that vitamin D deficiency is very common. I work in a hospital laboratory and nearly every patient we test is vitamin D deficient. A tech tested her own blood, and she too was deficient even though she takes vitamin D supplements each day.
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#14 jackay

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

Hi,

I was never tested for Vit D levels, but my calcium levels are often too low.

They did look at parathyroid function way back, and it was out. The treatment of calcitriol (biologically active vitamin D) - not the one you get in regular vit tablets, which is the precursor of the active Vit D (they assume your body will convert it to vit D - and most people do). My problem was/is not lack of sun exposure. I live in a tropical country and I am a triathlete. Yes I use sunscreen, but my tan proves I do have regular sun exposure. This vit D brought my calcium levels up to mid normal range.

Recently calcium is low again (dr. has already prescribed Vit D and Calcium) but I will be testing parathyroid again before I start that...

Sally

I got headaches from calcitriol so switched to Vit D3. With the Vit D3 in my calcium supplements, I take at total of 3500 IU daily. Three months ago it was in the midrange level. My doctor likes it higher during the winter months. I just had it checked again yesterday.

I had surgery for hyperparathyroidism nine months ago. I had 3 1/2 of my 4 parathyroid glands removed. I'm anxious to see what where my parathyroid hormone and calcium level are at. I take 2500 mg. calcium daily and am hoping to cut down ono that. If I do cut down, I need to have my calcium level checked again in a month.

#15 thleensd

thleensd

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

They found my Vit D deficiency next week (I'm at 18, ref range 30-something). I'm anxious to get started on my D because I'm hoping to get some symptom relief. Vit D deficiency can cause fatigue, muscle wasting, and a whole host of other things including bone and muscle pain. Maybe it will help my insomnia and anxiety a bit too. =D

My regular doc said to take a supplement...1000 IUs or so, but I saw my GI doc today, and she put me on 50,000 IU/week for 8 weeks (like Lahoma). After that supposedly I can go down to a maintenance dose of 1000/day. I did a bit of research and it is the new recommended approach to deficiency.

I took my first 50,000 a couple hours ago. So far so good ;-)

Not only is D deficiency common among the general population, but apparently very common with Celiac. GI doc reminded me that ANYTHING usually absorbed in the duodenum may be low (and should be checked).

She didn't tell me to up my calcium intake, but after a bit of reading today, I might.

Diagnosed 2/12/09 by biopsy after years of anemia, neuropathy, dizziness, brain fog, pain and more.
Negative blood tests (following gluten light diet)

Still healing with time, harmony, and good food.
Grain-free 1/11/11

Blogging Gluten-Free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: