1 reply to this topic

#1 Rorginos7

Rorginos7

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 02:34 PM

Hi there. I was wondering if someone could tell me more about gene testing. Is this new and is it something through a regular doctor you can have done? Any info would be great. Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 06 February 2004 - 02:05 PM

Hi, I think I can answer your question a bit. I'm not sure how new the gene testing is, but yes any doctor can order the test. They just have to know what to order. Your best bet is to get your doctor to order the test through Prometheus Labs. They are one of the most skilled and highly respected labs in regards to Celiac. If they won't order through Prometheus, or won't order them at all, you can order the gene test yourself through the mail at Enterolab . They cost about $150 each, but they give you a discount for additional family members if your are testing more than one family member.

The thing with the gene test is that it will only tell you if you carry the gene (or at least one of them since there are two) responsible for Celiac Disease. If you do infact carry the gene, that does not mean you have an active form of the disease, but you do have the likelyhood of developing the disease later in life or passing it to your children. It is most useful for screening family members of known Celiacs. For diagnosis, it is used as confirmation. At Prometheus Labs, you can order just the gene test or you can order the blood tests with it. They automatically perform the gene test after a negative blood test, at least that is what the form said when my kids tests were ordered through them last month.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.
God bless,
Mariann

Oh, and sorry it took so long for anyone to respond to your question. We are all getting used to this new board and some days there are so many postings a few seem to go unnoticed.
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: