Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Toronto

8 posts in this topic

I found this place through a web search, and they have the best selection of gluten-free products I have seen outside of the Specialty Food shop at Sick Kids (not always convenient to get to).

They also have a lot of frozen prepared foods like lasagna etc, as well as Kinnikinnick donuts - so damn good(!) and a pretty good variety of breakfast cereals.

NKM Chapman's, 309 York Mills Road (at Bayview), North York, Ontario, M9M 4E9, 416.444.4477, fax 416.444.3543, steve@chapmans-foods.com

"Chapman's 35 foot long counter of prepared foods offers products suitable for special diets, such as lactose/dairy-free, diabetes, low fat, vegetarian, and gluten-free".

(from http://www.geocities.com/glutenfreetoronto/retail.html)

Noah's at Yonge and Eglinton (may be available at other Noah's in T.O.) also has 1 kg bags a flour mix (rice, low fat soy, corn and something else) that can be sub'd cup for cup in baking. I use this exclusively and baked good always turn out really great. I called the company for a break down calories, fat and fibre and they weren't able to give this info...I'm watching my waist line ;)

P.S. I also found that Grocery Gateway has gluten-free Jet Puffed marshmallows! Other brands don't list what the marshmallows might be rolled in to prevent them from sticking together, I heard quite often it is flour. I can finally make rice crispy squares! :lol:

Ads by Google:

There's also Ambrosia's on Doncaster Avenue just north of Steeles on Yonge Street. They carry glutino pretzels and cookies etc. and have a few Amy's products and frozen muffins. They are also a little cheaper then Chapmans. And Main Food Mart on Bayview (north of where Chapmans is) they sell a few gluten-free products some at a higher price, but the cookies etc. are usually lower priced than Chapmans. There's a Noah's on Yonge Street between Bloor and Wellsley that sells fresh cookies from a gluten-free bakery in kensington market.

There is also a shop on Bayview (seem to be a lot on bayview!) between Eglinton and Millwood called Paches and Green, I went to pick up some herbal tea actually and dicovered that they had a pretty big gluten free section! Soy pasta available there too.

As I was leaving, I started talking to the owner George about celiacs, he gave me a slice of bread and a carrot muffin from a new baker that he will selling products for - they were the BEST tasting gluten-free items I've EVER had! The bread was moist and slighty springy and chewy just like normal bread and was not bland at all but had a very pleasant flavour!! The muffin was so good I thought I could the hallelua of Handels Messiah being sung by unseen cherubs in the distance. Moist, springy, flavourful, not oily and not dry and crumbly! I shared it with my boyfriend (who isn't a celiac sufferer, but has tested many gluten-free products and my own baked goods) and he also conquers that it is the best gluten-free muffin he's had. I had carrot, but they also had banana and apple spice (I think, they're was a third flavour).

Check Peaches & Green and try these baked goods!

I also had a reeeealy good brownie from Chapman's recently along with flaxseed cookies that can help out the 'plumbing' ;)

Here's the Peaches & Green Link:

http://www.peachesandgreen.com/

Happy Shopping!

Found another great place - Sweet Everythings - at the St. Lawrence Market - North side farmers market (there is no sign but the up the centre aisle ha;f way back). They have a great selection of gluten-free baked good - muffins (that are as large as a regular muffin - as some gluten-free muffins tend to be quite rather small and flat), banana bread, cookies, brownies, scones, and also offer pizza's (you have to order those ahead of time) etc. They are there every satuday from 5 am - 2pm. (they also have regular baked good but assured myself and another gluten-free shopper that all gluten-free products were truely gluten-free)

I've tried the scones (a little dry), brownies (really good - they specialize in making belgian chocolate), banana bread (very moist), and their cranberry and 'ontario' muffins (carrot muffins with some bits of berries - both were very good and very moist) also tried their 'dream cookies' - two gluten-free peanut butter cookies with a creamy peanut butter middle dipped in chocolate - they are addictive. All in all they have great baked goods, very moist and reasonably priced. I got a 12 muffins, 4 scones (that are so large I cut them in half and eat half as a serving), a banana bread loaf and two very large brownies for $35. Their items also freeze very well.

You can e-mail them weekly to find out what gluten-free items they have to offer that weekend, if you want to place an order they ask that it is placed before wednesday for a saturday pick-up.

Here's their e-mail address for those interested in contacting them:

sweete@quicklinks.on.ca

Have a great long weekend!

Hi!

Thought I would share this. I found some gluten free snacks at "The Bargain Shop" in Scarborough at Kennedy and Lawrence.

They are Snakatas. They are from Australia. They come in four different flavours:

Sea Salt & Vinegar

Supreme Cheese

Smoked Barbecue

Sour Cream & Chives

I have tried all four (along with my kids) and we all love them. They are delicious!

I went back and bought a whole bunch to stock up - now I just have to figure out how to keep them from the kids!!!! LOL!

Have a great day!

Karen

Someone told me about a new store on Steeles around Hilda - it's in the Toys'R'Us mall... East of Dufferin and Bathrust, and West of Yonge Street.

Hi There,

Wondering if anyone knows of gluten-free sources in Mississauga/brampton area?

I am currently being tested and know wheat bothers me, will get results next week.

Thanks

Lymiecanuck

Great Site!

If you're gluten-free and haven't yet gone to the new Wholefoods chain, do.

By far the best selection of gluten-free in the city! labels on the shelves let you know what is purely gluten-free. They also specialize in organic and specialty foods. Very yummy.

It's pricey, but worth it.

Located in Hazelton Lanes in Yorkville.

http://www.wholefoods.com/stores/toronto/