This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Domino's Gluten Free Pizza

phillysmom

phillysmom Newbie

well, we are one week and one day into this crazy gluten-free journey! (my 12 year old son, philip, was just diagnosised last friday).......he's SUPER picky eater (he has down syndrome.....have worked in  therapy since age 2 on trying to get him to eat new foods).....he eats about 6 different foods.......anyway, pizza is his main staple food (well, at least it was a week ago).......we had a special olympics basketball tournament today and i got him a dominos pizza!.....he of course inhaled it like it was mana from God (lol!)........i have read many negative things about this pizza (cross contamination)........was i a horrible mom for giving this to him today?  and does anyone know anything about "cookie crisp" cereal??  (another one of the big 6 that philly will eat).......now the label doesn't have any wheat products, but at the bottom it says "may contain wheat products".......should this be a no-no, too???.................my head is spinning at all of this!.......i almost fainted the other day when i realized that vinager had wheat!!.....good grief........i pray that this gets easier......

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Welcome! It does get easier.

i almost fainted the other day when i realized that vinager had wheat!!.....good grief

I will start by responding to that one piece. Vinegar is gluten-free, except for malt vinegar (which is always labeled as that: malt vinegar). All other forms of vinegar are safe.
shadowicewolf Proficient

well, we are one week and one day into this crazy gluten-free journey! (my 12 year old son, philip, was just diagnosised last friday).......he's SUPER picky eater (he has down syndrome.....have worked in  therapy since age 2 on trying to get him to eat new foods).....he eats about 6 different foods.......anyway, pizza is his main staple food (well, at least it was a week ago).......we had a special olympics basketball tournament today and i got him a dominos pizza!.....he of course inhaled it like it was mana from God (lol!)........i have read many negative things about this pizza (cross contamination)........was i a horrible mom for giving this to him today?  and does anyone know anything about "cookie crisp" cereal??  (another one of the big 6 that philly will eat).......now the label doesn't have any wheat products, but at the bottom it says "may contain wheat products".......should this be a no-no, too???.................my head is spinning at all of this!.......i almost fainted the other day when i realized that vinager had wheat!!.....good grief........i pray that this gets easier......

You can always contact the company if you have any questions about any of their products.

However, with that disclaimer, I wouldn't eat it.

Gemini Experienced

Here is a website that may be of help in finding places to treat your son to.  There are many places that cater to pizza lovers but personally, Dominio's is not one of them.  Cross contamination is a huge problem there.  I would also recommend limiting his intake of food not made at home.  He won't heal if he goes out to eat too much but you can certainly treat him every now and again.  Also, pizza dough can be made at home and then he can enjoy it without taking a hit.

I am not sure about the cereal but there are good gluten-free cereals he may like. EnviroKidz is a brand that has cereal for kids......Captain Crunch type cereal with peanut butter flavor and I think they do a Rice Krispie type also.  There are many so I'm sure you'll find one he likes.

Open Original Shared Link  This site lists by state restaurants and cafe's, etc. where gluten-free food is served or accommodated for.

Adalaide Mentor

Domino's has a disclaimer on their own site saying that celiacs shouldn't eat their pizza. I wouldn't eat it and I certainly wouldn't feed it to a child.

This will get easier, it just takes time. You'll either be able to learn to make pizza at home from scratch (which is what most people around here do from what I see) or you can buy something like crusts from Venice Bakery (have to buy online, this is what I do) and top the pizzas at home. This will  prevent possible contamination and keep your son healthy in terms of the gluten free side. I know that kids, especially picky eaters are difficult and that his health problems pose an additional difficulty but maybe try checking out websites for how to sneak veggies into foods for toddlers and picky kids. You will have to get his food choices branched out if you want a healthy son.

Auntie-Manda Apprentice

Dominos gluten-free pizza is made on the same screens as the gluten-filled pizza. They won't even clean it to make a "gluten free" pizza. Also, when they add toppings, they touch gluten, and then touch the toppings. So most of the toppings are cross contaminated as well (at least here where I live- I have called & asked about it). I wouldn't get that pizza for sure!

Estella Newbie

Eating out takes some finesse & often is best to take something along if possible. Realize your son has definite likes & this is going to be part of your challenge. I realize he's likely honed in to various things due to texture, taste, temperature & other sensory "cues" that are comfortable for him. However, you want to make pizza at home for your son, check out Senza brand as it's free of many of the major allergens & produced in a dedicated facility: Open Original Shared Link .  Senza as well as Conte's (Open Original Shared Link) also has frozen raviolis available. You can e-mail either & they are kind as well as helpful with any questions you might have.  Both Senza & Conte's also sell in a few retail stores (check with co. for possible retailers in your area).  You also can shop with Senza online with free shipping.  Bob's Red Mill or Pamela's brands have pizza mixes & if you go to www.vitacost.com you can check out some of the major gluten-free company products. You can check out the ingredient lists as well as read reviews of the products that might help you get started.  I have no interest in any of these companies or products... it's just my "go to" ideas I've developed for myself. ;) Hope this helps in some small way. 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Hey philly'smom!

It seems overwhelming at first, but it gets easier, I promise.

I know some celiacs eat the gluten-free Chex cereals: chocolate, cinnamon, etc.

May I suggest the Newbie 101 thread in the Coping section to get you started?

And a good book for you to read is Real Life with Celiac Disease by Melinda Dennis and David Leffler 

It has sections about the disease, the diet, helping your celiac child, etc.

Open Original Shared Link

Find Me Gluten Free is also a website that lists restaurants that others have tried. 

Perhaps his tastes will expand as he starts to heal his gut and feels better. 

Best wishes to you and Philip!

GFinDC Veteran

You can gluten-free pizza at Z-Pizza also.  Chex cereals are gluten-free and so are Pebbles.  I think Rice Krispies are gluten-free now too.  They should be marked gluten-free on the box.  Gorilla Munch is another gluten-free cereal.  And there are others too.  Check the  local health food or organic grocers gluten-free section.

Most of the food he eats should be at home and cooked there, not processed foods though.  You get a lot of fillers, food colorings, preservatives and stuff with your food when you buy processed foods.  Those may not be good for him, or you.

A simple whole foods diet is the best for starting out gluten-free.  And it is the easiest way to know what is in the food you are eating.  Some celiacs develop additional food intolerances beyond wheat, rye, and barley.  Oats are a known reactor for 10% or so.  They can cause the same auto-immune response.  Other foods that people react to are soy, dairy, corn, nightshades, eggs etc.  Cutting out soy would be a good idea IMHO.  An elimination diet is a good way to find out if a food is causing a problem.  GFCFSF is a pretty well known diet for autisim.  It may help him toot, it's hard to tell without trying.

Hala Apprentice

I don't know where you guys live but in the UK Domino's is very coeliac-aware! They use separate screens for the pizzas, which are kept sealed and away from the other pizzas. They don't use any wheat flour on premesis, use separate sauces and utensils and have one dedicated staff member to each pizza.
Then again, I've only had one domino's pizza since going gluten-free and did get quite a bad stomach-ache...although I think that may have been the cheese :P

kareng Grand Master

In the US, Dominos came out and said that the gluten-free pizza is not suitable for Celiacs.

psawyer Proficient

I think Rice Krispies are gluten-free now too.  They should be marked gluten-free on the box.

There are two versions. The original Rice Krispies still have gluten. The new gluten-free version is made from brown rice and is clearly marked "gluten-free."
bartfull Rising Star

Udi's makes a frozen gluten-free pizza crust too.

Philly'sMom, why don't you list his six foods for us so we can help you find substitutes for all of them?

I'm sure you have him on a multi-vitamin, but if not, he will need one. And you need to check to make sure that, and all other medications he might take are gluten-free.

For the pizza, maybe you can run some good veggies through the food processor and add them to the sauce so he won't be able to see or even taste them. Heck, *I* don't like veggies very much but I don't mind them that way. :)

CommonTater Contributor

I didn't have a lot of hope that I'd like this recipe for pizza crust but I was wrong, I loved it and so did my super picky husband that is NOT Gluten Free. I just had to share this with you. I promise you, it is amazing and you can read the comments of others on this link too.

Open Original Shared Link

CommonTater Contributor

You can gluten-free pizza at Z-Pizza also.  Chex cereals are gluten-free and so are Pebbles.  I think Rice Krispies are gluten-free now too.  They should be marked gluten-free on the box.  Gorilla Munch is another gluten-free cereal.  And there are others too.  Check the  local health food or organic grocers gluten-free section.

Most of the food he eats should be at home and cooked there, not processed foods though.  You get a lot of fillers, food colorings, preservatives and stuff with your food when you buy processed foods.  Those may not be good for him, or you.

A simple whole foods diet is the best for starting out gluten-free.  And it is the easiest way to know what is in the food you are eating.  Some celiacs develop additional food intolerances beyond wheat, rye, and barley.  Oats are a known reactor for 10% or so.  They can cause the same auto-immune response.  Other foods that people react to are soy, dairy, corn, nightshades, eggs etc.  Cutting out soy would be a good idea IMHO.  An elimination diet is a good way to find out if a food is causing a problem.  GFCFSF is a pretty well known diet for autisim.  It may help him toot, it's hard to tell without trying.

I was told by the company that ONLY the 'Brown Rice' Rice Krispies are truly Gluten free.

psawyer Proficient

I was told by the company that ONLY the 'Brown Rice' Rice Krispies are truly Gluten free.

The original version still contains gluten. The brown rice version is new and is clearly marked gluten-free on the front of the box.
  • 4 weeks later...
Brandiwine Contributor

well, we are one week and one day into this crazy gluten-free journey! (my 12 year old son, philip, was just diagnosised last friday).......he's SUPER picky eater (he has down syndrome.....have worked in therapy since age 2 on trying to get him to eat new foods).....he eats about 6 different foods.......anyway, pizza is his main staple food (well, at least it was a week ago).......we had a special olympics basketball tournament today and i got him a dominos pizza!.....he of course inhaled it like it was mana from God (lol!)........i have read many negative things about this pizza (cross contamination)........was i a horrible mom for giving this to him today? and does anyone know anything about "cookie crisp" cereal?? (another one of the big 6 that philly will eat).......now the label doesn't have any wheat products, but at the bottom it says "may contain wheat products".......should this be a no-no, too???.................my head is spinning at all of this!.......i almost fainted the other day when i realized that vinager had wheat!!.....good grief........i pray that this gets easier......

I don't recommend Dominos I walking in one day craving pizza and asked about their gluten free crust and they pretty much told me to go somewhere else (at least they didn't sell it to me anyways and make me sick) I don't know why they offer gluten free when they can't with a clear conscience sell it!! Of course your not a horrible mother for giving him what you thought to be gluten free pizza! Hang in there things will get easier there is a light at the end of the gluten free tunnel, a lot of restaurants are trying to incorporate gluten free menu items pizza places included.

Juliebove Rising Star

Here is a website that may be of help in finding places to treat your son to.  There are many places that cater to pizza lovers but personally, Dominio's is not one of them.  Cross contamination is a huge problem there.  I would also recommend limiting his intake of food not made at home.  He won't heal if he goes out to eat too much but you can certainly treat him every now and again.  Also, pizza dough can be made at home and then he can enjoy it without taking a hit.

I am not sure about the cereal but there are good gluten-free cereals he may like. EnviroKidz is a brand that has cereal for kids......Captain Crunch type cereal with peanut butter flavor and I think they do a Rice Krispie type also.  There are many so I'm sure you'll find one he likes.

Open Original Shared Link  This site lists by state restaurants and cafe's, etc. where gluten-free food is served or accommodated for.

Is Captain Crunch gluten-free?  I nearly did myself in the other day.  Bought it, ate it then began itching all over.  Gluten isn't a problem for me but oats are.  Daugher picked up the box and read, "Corn and oats..."  And I was like...  No, no, no!  It's just corn.  Right?  Wrong.  That was why I itched.  I do remember eating it.  She was on a gluten-free diet at the time and she ate it too.  Could it be that it used to be just corn?  I don't know.

karichelle Newbie

With cereals that aren't marked gluten free even if they don't contain any obvious gluten ingredients, I always assume they are made on shared equipment.

foam Apprentice

The Dominos gluten free pizza gives me a bigger reaction than eating wheat itself.. I don't know why, I've tried looking through the ingredients in the base and it made my head spin the amount of crap that's in it lol.

bcanela Newbie

I eat this pizza without reaction a few times a month. I usually ask for no sauce and extra cheese and some veggies. Since I don't know whats in the meats they are using I don't bother. I think it depends on the store manager and the processes they go through. You may want to go in there and talk to the manager about how its prepared to get a better insight on if there will be cross contamination. The disclaimer on the website is to protect against lawsuits mainly and I think a lot of companies do this for liability purposes. Its easier to protect yourself with a disclaimer than to have one employee not follow the rules and get sued for misinfomation...

kareng Grand Master

I eat this pizza without reaction a few times a month. I usually ask for no sauce and extra cheese and some veggies. Since I don't know whats in the meats they are using I don't bother. I think it depends on the store manager and the processes they go through. You may want to go in there and talk to the manager about how its prepared to get a better insight on if there will be cross contamination. The disclaimer on the website is to protect against lawsuits mainly and I think a lot of companies do this for liability purposes. Its easier to protect yourself with a disclaimer than to have one employee not follow the rules and get sued for misinfomation...

If you had been on here when this new pizza came out, you would have seen that Dominos announced that it is not for Celiacs.   And all the fuss that went with it!  :blink:

You may be lucky and  have a store that will be careful, use fresh cutting tools & toppings from the fridge, etc.

bcanela Newbie

Sorry, I wasn't aware, but still the safest bet would be to actually talk to the Manager face to face. If you show a concern, they may be able to change the processes at that location (not all locations are corporate owned and have more freedom as far as what they can and can't do in that store). A lot of cross contamination issues can be resolved by simply explaining it to the Managers of the restaurants. I am the Property Manager of a very large shopping mall and after moving to a rural town, they had no idea what gluten is. Once I talked to the managers face to face they were much more accomodating when I came in for a business lunch and asked for something gluten-free.

karichelle Newbie

Sorry, I wasn't aware, but still the safest bet would be to actually talk to the Manager face to face. If you show a concern, they may be able to change the processes at that location (not all locations are corporate owned and have more freedom as far as what they can and can't do in that store). A lot of cross contamination issues can be resolved by simply explaining it to the Managers of the restaurants. I am the Property Manager of a very large shopping mall and after moving to a rural town, they had no idea what gluten is. Once I talked to the managers face to face they were much more accomodating when I came in for a business lunch and asked for something gluten-free.

I think this is an excellent point. I don't see why Domino's can't at least make an effort to minimize cross contamination risk by changing aprons/gloves, using fresh utensils, and fresh toppings from the cooler. Seems like that would be a good business move. You could still give the disclaimer, but it would open up the market to more people.

Brandiwine Contributor

I feel they should make the effort not only for us that need to feel safe from CC but because they carry gluten-free crust that is just sitting there not making money if they can't safely sell it.

Archived