• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

mookie03

Yummy Choc Chip Cookies

Rate this topic

Judy had requested that i post this recipe- my roommate made these for me on my birthday and they were AMAZING! I know it says u can freeze them, but i dare you to have that kind of willpower..ours were gone in 2 days :)

GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

1 c. vegetable shortening(preferably trans-fat free)- plus additional

for greasing baking sheets

2c. plus 2 Tb. brown-rice flour mix(2c. brown-rice flour-finely

ground, 2/3c. potato starch, 1/3 c.tapioca flour)

1 1/2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. xanthangum

1c.granulated sugar

1/2c. packed brown sugar

2lg. eggs

1 Tbs. vanilla

12oz. semisweet choc. chips

1c. finely chopped walnuts

put oven rack in middle postions and preheat oven to 375degrees.

Lightly grease 2 lg. baking sheets. Whisk together flour mix, baking

soda, salt(1/2tsp. salt) and xanthan gum in a small bowl. Beat

together shortening(1c) and sugars in a large bowl with an electic

mixer at high speed until pale and fluffy,2 to 3 minutes. Add eggs,

one at a time- beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.

Reduce speed to low and mix in flour mixture until just incorporated,

then stir in chips and walnuts- Drop heaping teaspoonfuls of dough 2

inches apart onto baking sheets. Bake one sheet at a time until

golden- 9 to 15 mionutes. Let stand 1 minute - then transfer cookies

to a rack to cool and continue making cookies using cooled baking

sheets- they can keep one week-( or freeze)

Stefi

I LOVE YOU

do you think i must use the-???

2c. plus 2 Tb. brown-rice flour mix --- (2c. brown-rice flour-finely

I have the sweet rice flour and rice flour?

Is potato starch the same as potato flour?

Here i go again screwing with the recipe.... :ph34r:

I can go get the flour if i have to.

My cookies weren't that great...but my browies & muffins sure were if (you close your eyes while picking the muffins up) :ph34r: and keep them shut and eat them ):lol:

another question and i'm sure Vincent our 'baker' will know.

All the stuff we buy made up says freeze...my Kinicknick..or what ever the heck that name is always goes bacd on me in the frig...think that' how i got soooo sick on my pizza and my poor hubby whose been such a good sport just cracked up after one bite. Said "think i'll pass on the cardboard tonight' :lol:

question..why do the purchased brownies etc and the ones we make go bad so fast..no preservatives i'd guess..right.

I left the muffins out for 3 days and then put into freezer.

Thanks again Stefi

judy in philly

2c. plus 2 Tb. brown-rice flour mix --- (2c. brown-rice flour-finely

I have the sweet rice flour and rice flour?

Not the same, you could try it and see how it goes, but brown rice and sweet rice are not the same so you may or may not like the result. I have swaped them befor with out issue, but I am not very picky about following directions...in case you could not tell.

Is potato starch the same as potato flour?

No they are not the same thing, go get the starch. :)

question..why do the purchased brownies etc and the ones we make go bad so fast..no preservatives i'd guess..right.

I left the muffins out for 3 days and then put into freezer.

Exactly, its also why homemade is typicaly healthier, the less chemical additives, the better in most cases. There are natural presveraitves, such as salt, but salt in your cookies would not be the best plan. :D

Also remeber EVERYTHING with baking is subject to opinion, and nothing is an absolute rule. Play around have fun. You may find a new way to make things thats much better, or worse! Ive done both. :D

Not the same, you could try it and see how it goes, but brown rice and sweet rice are not the same so you may or may not like the result. I have swaped them befor with out issue, but I am not very picky about following directions...in case you could not tell.

No they are not the same thing, go get the starch. :)

Exactly, its also why homemade is typicaly healthier, the less chemical additives, the better in most cases. There are natural presveraitves, such as salt, but salt in your cookies would not be the best plan. :D

Also remeber EVERYTHING with baking is subject to opinion, and nothing is an absolute rule. Play around have fun. You may find a new way to make things thats much better, or worse! Ive done both. :D

thanks so very much Vincent..see i'm learning...i didn't just go ahead and use the stuff i had...

Maybe that's why people just get the mixes but honestly, those c/c cookies were awful and so gritty. but at that point i wanted a cookie so badly.

Yep, i'm cooking and baking more.. :lol:

IT'S A GOOD THING as big bad Martha would say

Judy

Judy--there is potato flour (which you don't want for this--it's too heavy) and potato starch and potato starch flour--which are the same thing. I get the Ener-g brand, and I was confused at first, because they call their potato starch 'potato starch flour'. I hope you're not as confused as I am typing this :blink:

For those of you who have made these cookies, would you mind describing the texture to me? Were they chewy or more cake-like?

Thanks!

Those sound really good!

My dd cannot have the brown rice flour... do you think sorghum would work?

See, Judy, you're not the only one messing w/the mixtures of everything, lol!

Yesterday I attempted to make wacky cake cupcakes but didn't have tapioca starch and had to sub for brown rice flour... threw out 2 batches. :( She was going to a birthday party and I was DETERMINED for her to take a cupcake like she'd always done before going wheat and rice-free. She ended up w/Newman's Own cookies, some cut up ham and glutino pretzels instead of pizza and cake :unsure:

haha, there goes Judy again.. changing around all my good recipes :P well my roommate followed the recipe precisely, but i dont think theres any harm in experimenting- i usually do...though u should definitely not use potato flour instead of potato starch. Judy, i think u and i should probably attend a "gluten free baking 101" class - ill never get used to all these different flours!!

The texture was more chewy than cakelike i'd say but i think they were somewhere in between. The nuts also change the texture of cookies i think so they might be different if u left the nuts out... man, all this talk of cookies is making me hungry...

oh and im really sorry, i have no idea about sorghum...im so sorry for your daughter though :( i hope u find a good replacement for brown rice flour!

Stefi,

Thanks! I didn't want to make these if they were the cake-like texture. I have never liked choc. chip cookies like that. I like the chewy-type (Nestle Tollhouse recipe). I know not to get my hopes up comparing these to the gluten-filled cookies, but I AM excited!

Judy, i think u and i should probably attend a "gluten free baking 101" class - ill never get used to all these different flours!!

Hi Stefi

would you believe while i was in the shower my hubby watched a segment on abc action news here in philly on celiac disease and cooking...he said there is a women here who cooks meals for celiac's and i think delivers...have i died and gone to heaven or what :blink::lol::lol::lol:

Of course, it you pay $5.00 for one bag of flour..hummmm---meals might cost $1,000.99 cents..

Also spent an hr trying to find the link and the print out but couldn't so wrote 2 messages..

Oh well, I think i saw on here someone went to some classes that a store put out...don't know where it was a frankly after doing so much reaseach on dential issues and now thyroid..need to get back into the fun stuff like cooking... :blink::rolleyes::blink: did i really say that???

and I enjoy the canning thread for all those gardeners out there ..it's a great thread Jenvan put up.

have a great day.

can't wait to hear what you come up with next stefi--and no I'm not going to play around with the recipe I'll get the ingr and do IT RIGHT OK OK OK :ph34r:

jUDY

Stefi,

Thanks! I didn't want to make these if they were the cake-like texture. I have never liked choc. chip cookies like that. I like the chewy-type (Nestle Tollhouse recipe). I know not to get my hopes up comparing these to the gluten-filled cookies, but I AM excited!

Tracy--must admit mine were grainy and cake like but better than the ones i paid big $$ for in the store.

Stefi-- are you going to try the exact recipe-?

Vincent--maybe you know how to 'tweek' it to get them not to 'rise' so much. I like mine flat and 'like tollhouse too' but hey, maybe we'll get there some day.

Judy in Philly

have to go get some potato 'frigging' starch....NOT FLOUR cause of course I HAVE THAT :lol:

jUDY

Judy-- thats hilarious- maybe i should find out how much it costs for her to deliver to NY-- i might not be able to afford my apartment anymore but at least i would eat well :lol:

when my roommate made them, she made the recipe exactly as it was.. but im guessing that the key to make them less cake like would be to adjust the flour ratios---OBVIOUSLY im not going to try to advise on how to do that, as im the least knowledgable baker on this board :ph34r: -- but ill ask my roommate if she knows any tricks for make them chewier. maybe vincent or jen can pipe in and help you out with that too...

Who knows what i will find next-- its so funny, b/c i am almost never home and find it hard enough to try to eat 1 meal a day at home, but i keep finding these great recipes and all i want to do is bake! Time to quit my job and drop out of law school :P

Happy super bowl sunday!!

Stefi---now--- talk about hilarious- maybe i should find out how much it costs for her to deliver to NY-- i might not be able to afford my apartment anymore but at least i would eat well :lol: Time to quit my job and drop out of law school :P

wow how can you have a job and go to law school. I'm impressed. get that law degree and pass the bar and you can hire this lady.

I'm so mad :ph34r::(<_< all if can find on the channel 6 web site is super bowl stuff..can't find anything about this lady 'cooker' person..chef i think they are called :lol: took me a minute there..this old brain is going mushy...love my hubby, he's so on target all the time..and he came up from the art studio and i said "what are you doing this afternoon besides waiting for the super bowl"..he said "just goofing around--- but i came up to get something-- and 'can't remember why i came up here" :ph34r: I don't feel so alone anymore :lol: I do it on a daily basis.

It's been fun chatting --and comparing our baking experiences. loved the one post where you posted --Judy's fooling with the recipe again...or something like that... :lol:

We have to get our laughs where we can right?

judy

I'm going to try these cookies during naptime today! It seems easier for me to modify than the other. I'm going to use sorghum instead of the brown rice and sub for the eggs.

I'm always having to change recipes! :P

Good luck w/ the cookies cheri!

Judy-- yes, everyone tells me im crazy but ive worked all through law school...any little bit i can do helps to cut back on the loans! But ill be graduating in a few months (YAY!) so its almost over...when i pass the bar ill make an enormous gluten free cookie cake and send it to everyone on this site so we can all have a piece :lol:

You pinpointed what i love most about this forum by the way. I mean of course the advice on products and symptoms has been invaluable, but some of the posts on here just make me laugh out loud about the experiences we have all had w/ celiac! I've always been part of the "You HAVE to laugh at yourself" camp and i've loved checking your posts b/c they always make me laugh, and whether its baking, cooking, going out to eat or just comments from coworkers, some aspects of this disease are just downright FUNNY!!!

Judy-- yes, everyone tells me im crazy but ive worked all through law school...any little bit i can do helps to cut back on the loans! But ill be graduating in a few months (YAY!) so its almost over...when i pass the bar ill make an enormous gluten free cookie cake and send it to everyone on this site so we can all have a piece laugh.gif

OOOOOOO!!! COUNT ME IN!! :D:D:D:D:D:lol:

But ill be graduating in a few months (YAY!) so its almost over...when i pass the bar ill make an enormous gluten free cookie cake and send it to everyone on this site so we can all have a piece :lol: "You HAVE to laugh at yourself" !!!

Ok, Stefi, I'm holding you to that. won't be long now.. wow i'm impressed. :blink:

My book club read one of Lisa Scottolines, books. Love her and she was a lawyer and now written lot's of books and the settings are in Philly so that's a interesting side line as i know the streets and places she writes about you can find her web site it's cool too.

Ok --Vincent..you make me laugh too--keep it 'flowing' ..the laughs i mean...

Judy in Philly

Oh good, thats what i need to do, put MORE pressure on myself to pass the bar, haha...

and now i have a new book club book idea-- thanks judy!

Oh good, thats what i need to do, put MORE pressure on myself to pass the bar, haha...

and now i have a new book club book idea-- thanks judy!

You bet ya sister...I'll help out anytime.... :ph34r: Add to your pressure---I'm sorry. :rolleyes:

Judy

Hey ~ I finally tried these cookies... must be the egg sub, but they flattened immediately and get all hard on the edges/burnt. So... I put the rest in a square pan and baked them. They were delicious that way, but I should have cooked them a bit longer cuz the inside is a bit gooey.

Vincent ~ what egg sub worked for these cookies?

Ok guys, guess i'll have to try these now because the p/b banana muffins don't agree with me.

I'm so honked off.

I'll let you know how the cookies turn out.

if news from the dr is good, i'll be in the mood to cook, if not, probably won't even get on the frigg'n board. just go crawl under the covers.

have to go get all the test stuff together..as the cat decided to play 'tag' on the pile.... :ph34r:

Any body out there want a cat...??? I'll ship him free of charge. :rolleyes:

I could use your prayers tomorrow at 9:00 am

Judy

Okay Gang, here's an idiot proof cookie recipe. And by that I mean, if I can make them, anyone can. And it took me 3 or 4 tries to get them right.

From Carol Fenster's Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus.

1 1/4 cups flour blend

1 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 cup shortening or margarine at room temperature, or Spectrum spread

3/4 cup packed light brown sugar

1/3 cup sugar

1 tsp vanilla

1 extra large egg

1 cup chocolate chips (she says gluten-free/DF)

1/4 cup chopped walnuts

I've messed with this by omitting the walnuts, using a large - not extra large egg, and using demerera (?) brown sugar...it's dark brown.

I use the sorghum/corn flour blend.

Preheat oven to 350.

Sift the flour blend, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt into a bowl and set aside. (I never sift)

Beat the shortening and sugars in a large bowl until blended. Beat in the vanilla and egg. Beat in the flour mixture until thoroughly mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips (and nuts if using them).

At this point she says to drop the dough by tablespoon on the cookie sheet (greased or parchment papered). She says if you use Spectrum spread they might not spread out and you should flatten them. I used margarine and they spread all over the place and were crunchy and not the greatest ever.

My tip: CHILL THE DOUGH FIRST!! For 20 minutes at least.

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. For chocolate chip bars, use an 8x8 pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.

Cool cookies for 2-3 minutes before removing from the cookie sheet. Finish cooling on a wire rack.

Eat and Enjoy!

*edited to say, you don't have to have potato starch for the flour blend, you can use cornstarch if you like.

1 1/2 cups sorghum flour

1 1/2 cups potato starch OR cornstarch

1 cup tapioca starch/flour (tapicoca starch and flour are the same thing)

1/2 cup corn flour

(makes 4 1/2 cups)

Linda ~ THANKS so much! I'll be trying these again!!

Judy ~ Hope your appointment went well and you're munching on cookies now!!

[ :ph34r: -- but ill ask my roommate if she knows any tricks for make them chewier.

[ :ph34r: -- but ill ask my roommate if she knows any tricks for make them chewier.

tapioca makes baked goods chewier

potato flour makes them more dense

rice flour alone makes them gritty

cornstarch or arrow root makes things ligher textured

beans will give more protein and also make them a little more springy like wheat

potato starch helps cut the grit from the rice flour , and add some light ness to mix

hope this helps

rosie nystate

thanks this is the info i've been wondering about

so appreciate it.

judy