• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Mango04

Your Favorite gluten-free Fries?

Rate this topic

So...let's start a new thread for all the people who are sad they can no longer eat McDonald's fries. In addition to the poisonous gluten in those things, they contain so many other dangerous ingredients. We are all better off without them anyway.

My favorite gluten-free fries are made by Alexia Foods. The Olive Oil, Sun Dried Tomato, Pesto flavor is my favorite (gluten and dairy free - even says gluten-free on the package)

http://www.alexiafoods.com/product_main.htm

Any other safe gluten-free fries out there?

I like the new line by McCains. They are"crispy on the outside, like mashed potatoes on the inside"--or something to that effect! They have the shoestring, crinkled and smiley faces. They come in a bright blue bag. I have called to verify that the 3 shapes described here are gluten-free. Granted, they are not exactly fast food fries, but they are good.

My dh and I love Alexia too! McCann's sound good Patti! We do like to make our own sweet potato fries in the deep fryer to when we cookout with friends :)

I like to make my own in the oven, then I don't need any oil.

Patti, the McCains sound yummy, are they low fat/ calorie?

Guest nini

I like Ian's sweet potato fries, Cascadian Farms Crinkle cut fries, and I think if I'm not mistaken, that Chik Fil A's Waffle Fries are still considered gluten-free, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but they are on the gluten-free list that I got from Chik Fil A.

I prefer oven-baked, mixed with a bit of olive oil and kosher salt. Either sweet potatoes or creamy potatoes, but never starchy potatoes like russets. :-P

We like the Alexia fries and Dh's curly fries from just a plain ole potato - nothing else added!

I'll have to check the McCann ones...

I have to agree with the alexia fries, and they have the hashbrowns too , yum!

Whlie not my favorite, the best alternative to McDonalds french fries (outside of Wendys) would be Ore-Ida Fast Food French Fries. they are gluten-free and DF, and you fry/bake them yourselves. They are made to mock the fast food fries obviously!

My current addiction is Ore-IDA Extra Crispy Tater Tots, accompanied by a grilled cheese sandwich made from Kinnikinnik white Tapioca Bread and craft singles with a dab of mayo on the inside, the Tater Tots oven baked, the Grilled Cheese pan Fried with just a teeny bit of butter. MMMMMMMMMM. Sinful.

Elonwy

Elonwy,

Are you sure the Ore Ida Extra Crispy tater tots are gluten-free?? They do not appear on Ore-Idas gluten-free list. I would love to get them though!!!

ALSO

I just spoke with a McDonalds rep and they indicated that "McDonalds has not changed the ingredients in the french fries in any way. One of our suppliers of an ingredient in the french fries has been compelled to inform us of this situation in lieu of the new Food Labeling Act."

I pressed on, and was told that this has always been a problem, however their supplier never informed them until just now due to the new laws. Just might explain some of the reactions that some of us have to McDonalds French Fries from time to time.........

Oh fer crying out loud. Somewhere I had a list that listed them as ok, and now I can't find it, and I went to the Ore-Ida page and there are NO tater tots there. @#*^!%^$!!!

Guess I'm switching to the extra crispy fries.

No wonder I've been all spaced out. Thank you.

I have two bags of them in my freezer too.

Imna go kick something.

Elonwy

Whlie not my favorite, the best alternative to McDonalds french fries (outside of Wendys) would be Ore-Ida Fast Food French Fries. they are gluten-free and DF, and you fry/bake them yourselves. They are made to mock the fast food fries obviously!

Yes thse are very good! :D

I deep fry them too. only takes 4 mins!

Are these dairy-free or have a "processed in the same plant as peanuts"? I'll have to look for them next time I'm at the store.

I just looked at the Wendy's site and it says that they do not have a dedicated fryer for their fries. It may be fried w/the chicken or fish.. that could be a problem too.

I like to make my own in the oven, then I don't need any oil.

Patti, the McCains sound yummy, are they low fat/ calorie?

McCain Crinkles--per 3 oz. serving--150 calories

6 g. fat

Made with canola oil

McCain Crinkles--per 3 oz. serving--150 calories

6 g. fat

Made with canola oil

Thanks Patti! I'll definitely be checking those out!

I pulled out my Alexia Oven Fries and there is also a new label on them for those that avoid nuts.

"While this product does not contain nuts, it is produced on the same machinery as other products that may contain nuts" :angry: One bag has it, the other bag doesn't... So, now those will be OUT for us. :(

I know there are some that avoid peanuts so wanted to post that here.

Elonwy,

Sorry to burst your bubble. I sincerely hoped you were going to tell me that you had inside info that they were fine!!!!

I am a tater tot lover myself. I researched Giant Eagle brand and they are gluten-free, however I don't know if they are in your area or not....

Are these dairy-free or have a "processed in the same plant as peanuts"? I'll have to look for them next time I'm at the store.

Glad you ask!!! Dairy and nuts are a big issue for my family as well. I am lactose intolerant (as well as celiac), both my sons are milk and egg allregic, and my one son is deathly allergic to peanuts and tree nuts! So, we have contacted Ore-Ida, and they are gluten free, dairy free, and nut free!!!!

I just looked at the Wendy's site and it says that they do not have a dedicated fryer for their fries. It may be fried w/the chicken or fish.. that could be a problem too.

We stopped eating Wendys fries after they started using Butterfinger flavoring for something. The topping is loose in a bin, and the potential for cross contamination (and the death of our son) is too great so we no longer eat there at all. BUT, thanks for the info!!

love the alexia fries, also.

HUGE fan of Chick-Fil-A's french fries---those waffle ones are delicious! I haven't had them as much recently as I don't have one that is super convenient to me. But I used to eat them all the time during grad school at Auburn. It was the only place I could eat at on campus. Dipped in the ranch sauce....MMMMM. And, I must say, I have never once gotten sick from their fries. Amazing!

HUGE fan of Chick-Fil-A's french fries---those waffle ones are delicious! I haven't had them as much recently as I don't have one that is super convenient to me. But I used to eat them all the time during grad school at Auburn. It was the only place I could eat at on campus. Dipped in the ranch sauce....MMMMM. And, I must say, I have never once gotten sick from their fries. Amazing!

Forgot about them had them a few times my self!

Thanks so much, Michael.... I'm putting the Ore Ida Fast Food Fries on my grocery list so I remember! Nice to find someone on here that is avoiding a lot of the same things as we are (see my sig)

About the Wendys...probably the mixers that you can now put in Frostys, right? Yea, we don't go there either.

Ahhh... the Chick Fil-A fries... I used to get those when I lived in FL... they were delish! I will have to check those out for when we go "back home" for Carleigh.

Never mind.. just went to their website... peanut oil so they are out for us.

Aww, Cheri, I'm sorry about the Chick-Fil-A fries....but, I guess you are used to it since your little one is allergic to "mother nature." Poor thing.

Next time I'm there, I'll eat one for yall....