This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newb Question, Plz No Flaming :)

awesomeame

awesomeame Explorer

Hi

New to the whole gluten free thing, and i was at the healthfood store looking at bread mixes today. i actually DID buy one. it was advertised as "wheat & gluten free." i opened it up and there was a yeast packet inside. i thought yeast contained gluten? :blink: are there some yeasts that contain gluten? i used the yeast when i baked the bread, but is the bread still gluten free? please someone enlighten me! Thanks

Matt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Nope....yeast is gluten-free. :)

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Hi Matt,

Why in the world would you think we would flame you for that question? We've all been there, standing there like a deer in headlights, totally lost in the gluten free world! We have a motto here: The only stupid question is the question that you DO NOT ASK!!!! Please feel comfortable to ask away!

Karen

awesomeame Explorer

thanks for clearing that up!! :)

--matt

plantime Contributor

Don't be afraid to ask us any questions, even gross ones. We have all been there at some point in time. If someone does flame you, ignore them. They could be having personal issues of their own.

mommida Enthusiast

Stay on this site and you will probably learn more than you ever wanted to know about yeast.

How did your bread turn out? If it ended up being a brick that would definately be normal. I end up slicing the bread while it is still warm to get it in the freezer faster. Two slices per freezer baggie for quick sandwiches. The best advice is to TOAST gluten free bread, it makes it a lot more palatable. Try the Chebe mixes.

Laura

VydorScope Proficient

LETS FLAME HIM FAST BEFOR THE ADMIN STOPS US!!! WHOOHOO EASY TARGET!!!

:lol: Sorry, I relay did try and resit that... I did! *puppy dog eyes* :lol::ph34r:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Vincent--you are BAD :D:D:D

Vincent,

BEHAVE!

You are bad! We wuv you anyway....... :D:rolleyes:

Karen

celiac3270 Collaborator

We don't typically attack people here, particularly newbies who are just learning about the diet--the last thing we want to do is seem unwelcoming. And if you feel anyone's being nasty to you, use the handy "report" button.

Feel free to ask away, because chances are it's been asked before (I'm sure I've seen the yeast question at least 4-5 times) and we'd be happy to help you :)

nettiebeads Apprentice
Hi

New to the whole gluten free thing, and i was at the healthfood store looking at bread mixes today. i actually DID buy one. it was advertised as "wheat & gluten free." i opened it up and there was a yeast packet inside. i thought yeast contained gluten? :blink: are there some yeasts that contain gluten? i used the yeast when i baked the bread, but is the bread still gluten free? please someone enlighten me! Thanks

Matt

Hi and welcome to the board. There is a term SILLY YAKS and I think we know who they are here...

Don't be embarassed about any questions here. As far as yeast being gluten free, it depends on the source. The yeast in your bread mix and sold for baking is safe. It's the nutritional yeast called brewer's yeast that is off limits. It is a by-product of beer making. So, eat happy!

Annette

Mango04 Enthusiast
Hi and welcome to the board. There is a term SILLY YAKS and I think we know who they are here...

Don't be embarassed about any questions here. As far as yeast being gluten free, it depends on the source. The yeast in your bread mix and sold for baking is safe. It's the nutritional yeast called brewer's yeast that is off limits. It is a by-product of beer making. So, eat happy!

Annette

Just curious - is all nutritional yeast off limits? I've eated the Road's Ends Organics Mac and Chreese. It's made with nutritional yeast and says gluten-free on the box...

Guest BERNESES
Stay on this site and you will probably learn more than you ever wanted to know about yeast.

Laura

And bowel movements, gaseous emissions, and diarrhea. We are a really fun crowd! :ph34r::rolleyes: Welcome Matt- really we are a nice bunch. There is so much information on this board it's incredible. Please don't be afraid to ask ANYTHING. The people here are so nice and when I went gluten-free this board was and still is my primary resource.

ianm Apprentice

You will also learn more than you ever wanted to know about poop also. I never knew there were so many varieties. :lol: You will also learn about Altoids and.... Oops better stop there.

You will also learn about Altoids and.... Oops better stop there.

:D

I'm never going to live this one down, am I....... :P

Hugs.

Karen

VydorScope Proficient

Hugs.

Karen

Do you want to? Some how I do not think so! :P

ianm Apprentice

Hugs.

Karen

Nope, you have been forever branded with a scarlet "A" for Altoids.

psawyer Proficient

Brewer's yeast is rare in food, and if present will not be disguised simply as yeast. According the the Canadian Celiac Association 2005 ingredient information, it is not allowed because "current methods of testing cannot accurately confirm the amount of residual gluten in brewer's yeast."

Altoids do not contain brewer's yeast, or any other gluten source. :P

mommida Enthusiast

Sugar free black cherry Hall's cough drops are safe too.

Archived