This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free/soy/dairy Free/ Mayonnaise

Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Remember I am in Canada so they may be completely different mayos. They are made in different plants. So yours might be okay. My Hellmann's up here is not soy free.

fELIDAE,

THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW YOUR IN CANADA.

CALLED US REP TODAY AND SHE SAID IT SOY FREE HERE AND THAT'S WHY THEY PRODUCED THIS PRODUCT BECAUSE IT DIDN'T HAVE SOY + the canola is better i guess.

the rep said that she used it and it's just as good as regular h. mayo.

i'll let you know if i like it.

judy in phlly

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluejeangirl Contributor
paula

I'm so happy for you. congratulations

I guess you don't cook this????? Is anyone cocerned about samonanela (?) or am I old fashioned about eating raw egg...I'm new at this cooking thing.

Judy

Just make sure the egg is not cracked in anyway. Then its very important to eat the mayo within 3 days top. So don't make too much at once.

bluejeangirl Contributor
My husband is gluten, dairy and soy free also and I buy him the Helmans Canola Mayo and he really likes it. My question is what kind of Tuna are you buying if your avoiding soy. Every brand I picked up at the grocery store (Publix and Wal Mart) have soy in them. I'm hoping you have found a brand that doesn't use soy because my husband is really missing his tuna salad but he is enjoying egg salad since I found the Canola mayo.

Jennifer

I buy Sunkrist light tuna packed in water. Its just tuna, water and salt. Also you don't want to eat albacore tuna because its from older fish for some reason can't remember but being older they have more mercury in them.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

tried the hellmans canola mayo today and really liked it

haven't had tuna/ it yet. had some on some meatloaf i made.

judy

paulasimone Rookie
paula

I'm so happy for you. congratulations

I guess you don't cook this????? Is anyone cocerned about samonanela (?) or am I old fashioned about eating raw egg...I'm new at this cooking thing.

Judy

thanks for the congrats. :)

i'm new at this cooking thing too, but still alive, no salmonella! :) our grandmas did this all the time right? and we generally have much better fridges than them. :D and fancy restaurants do it too - all the homemade red pepper mayo, garlic mayo, horseradish mayo, pesto mayo, aoli (italian mayo ;)), etc.

i think bluejean girl is right - no cracked eggs, stick it right into the fridge, and use it quickly.

:)

paula

• 3 years later...
LynnwoodCitizen Newbie
The only tuna I have found that is gluten-free and soy free is Whole Foods' brand. They have a few varieties, and I buy the solid white albacore. The downside is that it's $1.50 a can, but it's worth it to have soy free tuna. It's packaged only in spring water, which is nice.

gluten-free and soy-free tuna? My cans of tuna simply list the ingredients as tuna, water

jnclelland Contributor
gluten-free and soy-free tuna? My cans of tuna simply list the ingredients as tuna, water

Kirkland brand at Costco is also soy-free, and much cheaper than Whole Foods!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 1 month later...
COOPERFAMILY4 Newbie

INGREDIENTS: WATER, CANOLA OIL**, VINEGAR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH**, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS+, SUGAR, SALT, LEMON JUICE, XANTHAN GUM**, (SORBIC ACID**, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA) USED TO PROTECT QUALITY, DL ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), PHOSPHORIC ACID**, NATURAL FLAVORS (SOY), BETA CAROTENE** (FOR COLOR), CITRIC ACID**, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA, PHYTONADIONE (VITAMIN K).

** INGREDIENT NOT IN MAYONNAISE

+ ADDS A TRIVIAL AMOUNT OF CHOLESTEROL

UNFORTUNATELY THESE ARE THE OFFICAL INGREDIENTS IN HELLMANN'S CANOLA MAYO AND IT DOES CONTAIN SOY. GO TO WWW.HELLMANNS.COM/PRODUCTS AND CLICK ON THE CANOLA MAYO.

HELLO EVERYONE I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM BUT I HAVE BEEN IN SEARCH FOR A GLUTEN FREE SOY FREE MAYO. MY 9 YEAR OLD SON HAS AUTISM/ASPERGER'S SYNDROME AND HE HAS ALOT OF ALLERGIES/FOOD SENSITIVITES AND I AM TRYING TO CHANGE HIS DIET BUT IT IS VERY HARD WHEN HE HAS ALL THESE FOOD ALLERGIES/SENSITIVITES LIKE GLUTEN, CASEIN, SOY ANY KIND OF NUTS!!! I AM LITERALLY GOING NUTS BUT I DID ALOT OF GOOGLE RESEARCH AND FOUND DO IT AT HOME MAYO RECIPES THAT ANYONE CAN DO AT HOME. JUST GOOGLE SOY FREE MAYO ETC AND YOU WILL FIND SOMETHING YOU CAN DO AS FAR AS MAYO GOES THAT WILL WORK FOR YOU. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!!!-COOPERFAMILY4

ravenwoodglass Mentor
INGREDIENTS: WATER, CANOLA OIL**, VINEGAR, MODIFIED CORN STARCH**, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS+, SUGAR, SALT, LEMON JUICE, XANTHAN GUM**, (SORBIC ACID**, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA) USED TO PROTECT QUALITY, DL ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE (VITAMIN E), PHOSPHORIC ACID**, NATURAL FLAVORS (SOY), BETA CAROTENE** (FOR COLOR), CITRIC ACID**, OLEORESIN PAPRIKA, PHYTONADIONE (VITAMIN K).

** INGREDIENT NOT IN MAYONNAISE

+ ADDS A TRIVIAL AMOUNT OF CHOLESTEROL

UNFORTUNATELY THESE ARE THE OFFICAL INGREDIENTS IN HELLMANN'S CANOLA MAYO AND IT DOES CONTAIN SOY. GO TO WWW.HELLMANNS.COM/PRODUCTS AND CLICK ON THE CANOLA MAYO.

HELLO EVERYONE I AM NEW TO THIS FORUM BUT I HAVE BEEN IN SEARCH FOR A GLUTEN FREE SOY FREE MAYO. MY 9 YEAR OLD SON HAS AUTISM/ASPERGER'S SYNDROME AND HE HAS ALOT OF ALLERGIES/FOOD SENSITIVITES AND I AM TRYING TO CHANGE HIS DIET BUT IT IS VERY HARD WHEN HE HAS ALL THESE FOOD ALLERGIES/SENSITIVITES LIKE GLUTEN, CASEIN, SOY ANY KIND OF NUTS!!! I AM LITERALLY GOING NUTS BUT I DID ALOT OF GOOGLE RESEARCH AND FOUND DO IT AT HOME MAYO RECIPES THAT ANYONE CAN DO AT HOME. JUST GOOGLE SOY FREE MAYO ETC AND YOU WILL FIND SOMETHING YOU CAN DO AS FAR AS MAYO GOES THAT WILL WORK FOR YOU. GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!!!-COOPERFAMILY4

Thank you so much for posting that. I missed the soy under the natural flavors, now I know why this mayo doesn't agree with me....... I had to go check my label and the label on my jar doesn't state that the flavors are soy derived. They must have realized that being an allergan it does need to be listed. I had been wondering where soy was sneaking into my diet and even wondered if I was becoming intolerant to eggs. My soy reaction is very different from gluten so I knew I wasn't being glutened. Mystery solved.

Ginsou Explorer

OMG Cooperfamily4......I've been sick for the past two weeks and now I know why.....my jar of Best Foods mayo does not list soy after the words natural flavors. Hellmann's mayo uses the label "Best Foods"west of the rockies, and that is the brand that I have been purchasing. I travel, and I know for a fact that Hellmann's on the east coast did list soy as an ingredient, then when I came back out west soy was not listed on their Best Foods brand, so I bought it.

I'm near a natural food store and tomorrow will buy some Spectrum, or drive about 30 miles and purchase Whole Foods mayo. Whole Foods is less expensive and it tastes good.

Before I discovered Spectrum/Whole Foods here is the recipe I used ....it is from the American Egg board using cooked egg:

2 egg yolks (I used whole eggs)

2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I used 1)

2 Tablespoons water

1 teaspoon sugar (I used honey)

1 teaspoon dry mustard (gluten free)

1/2 teaspoon salt

dash cayenne

1 cup vegetable (contains soy!!) oil (canola is soy free)

In a small saucepan, stir together the egg yolks, lemon juice, water, sugar, mustard, salt and cayenne with a wooden spoon until blended. Place over very low heat and stir constantly until it bubbles in one or two spots. Remove from the heat and let stand 4 minutes. Pour into a blender (I used a mason jar and 1 beater bar)and blend, slowly adding the oil in a thin, constant stream. Scrape down the sides as needed. When the mixture is thick and smooth, chill until ready to use.

Vinegar is not listed as an ingredient......I added some. I also mixed a small amount of cornstarch to cold water before cooking the ingredients.....I like the consistency to be slightly thicker than this recipe.I tried many home-made recipes, and this one was my favorite for taste.

Back to the tuna fish: Polar has no soy, natural food stores sell a tuna without soy, and another brand, I think it is Crown Prince? is soy free. I'm not so sure about Starkist....if vegetable oil is listed, it is soy. Bumblebee brand also has soy. I know in the past these 2 brands contained soy and made me sick.

Jonnyb11 Newbie

Hi, I am confused about the Tuna thing.

In Europe we have cans of tuna that contain tuna, water and salt (Brine). Should I be concerned that they have soy in? and would that soy have gluten in?

Also, so if flavours are soy derived they are a no no????

Ginsou Explorer

I'm not familiar with European tuna....my guess would be the tuna you mentioned only includes the ingredients listed.

Soy is a vegetable, and does not include gluten. I'm soy intolerant, and that is why I have to analyze labels so carefully. Soy makes me very ill.

A product that lists vegetable oil as an ingredient usually does not say what the vegetable oil is derived from: soy, canola, sunflower, etc. so I have to be very careful.

A product that lists natural flavor as an ingredient also does not say what the natural flavor is derived from . Because of addiitonal food allergies, I have to be very careful about what I eat.

An ingredient is only a no no if you are allergic to it.

• 9 years later...
Daphne do Collaborator

I was wondering if any knows if Blu harbor wild albacore tuna is really gluten free I can't find whole foods tuna because we don't have that store any where I'm trying to make sure everything is gluten free in the house I would like it to be certified but I know that's not always the case thanks for your time

cyclinglady Grand Master

@Daphne do — based on a quick search online, this product is gluten free.  Just tuna and water.  Same as the ingredients you saw on the can or pouch?  

http://blueharborfishco.com/faqs

I would eat it.  I just bought Wild Planet tuna at Costco.  It is not certified, but I think it is safe.  I like the convenience.  

Daphne do Collaborator

Also I think I have issues with canola oil Hellman's it says gluten free but I think that it bothers me what other kind of mayo do you guys know for sure is safe I'm having a really hard time with this it's been two years since I was diagnosed and I keep getting poisoning by accident my teeth have gone way done Hill and my hair has gotten thinner I can't get poisoned any more thanks for your time

Daphne do Collaborator
25 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

@Daphne do — based on a quick search online, this product is gluten free.  Just tuna and water.  Same as the ingredients you saw on the can or pouch?  

http://blueharborfishco.com/faqs

I would eat it.  I just bought Wild Planet tuna at Costco.  It is not certified, but I think it is safe.  I like the convenience.  

Thank you?

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I use BlueHarbor and Thrive Market Tuna, I also use Thrive Market Salmon. To the original post I use Primal Kitchen Mayo. >,< Rare treat with my GI tract but mixing a bit up is a nice treat in the mornings when my digestion is best.

cyclinglady Grand Master
1 hour ago, Daphne do said:

Also I think I have issues with canola oil Hellman's it says gluten free but I think that it bothers me what other kind of mayo do you guys know for sure is safe I'm having a really hard time with this it's been two years since I was diagnosed and I keep getting poisoning by accident my teeth have gone way done Hill and my hair has gotten thinner I can't get poisoned any more thanks for your time

I use Best Foods which is on the west coast.  Hellman’s is on the east.  It is safe as far as gluten free goes.  I do not have soy issues.  You can make mayo from scratch.  It is easy.  Scan the internet for the type of oil is best for you.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-CVYVFj1vmQ

Ennis-TX Grand Master
1 hour ago, Daphne do said:

Again Primal Kitchen is canola free, they use Avocado Oil in all their mayo, dressings, sauces. I would suggest them for Mayo, Salad Dressings, Sauces, and Condiments. They are grain free also with Paleo Diet base (diet of our ancestors)

https://thrivemarket.com/brand/primal-kitchen
https://www.primalkitchen.com/collections

Daphne do Collaborator

Thank you so much for replying I really appreciate it ?

• 1 year later...
tss3648 Newbie
On 3/19/2006 at 2:07 PM, jmengert said:

Hi, Judy--Another option is Spectrum's Canola Oil Mayo. It's gluten-free, DF, and soy-free, as I avoid these things, too. It even says gluten free on the label. I use it all the time, as I love my tuna fish and egg salad!

Don't use spectrum mayo.  I used it for a while and  I was fine then I started feeling bad.  Took a while to realize it must be the mayo.  When I contacted Spectrum to check thre source of their vinegar I was told it varies.  Sometimes it's from beets and at any time it could change to a grain source.  That's not safe for celiac people. 

Also check your tuna. Cross contamination can be occurring.  There are  certain brands I can't tolerate.

lynnszec Newbie
On 3/19/2006 at 4:50 PM, StrongerToday said:

I wonder if you could make your own? Can you use any of the egg-beaters or replacers? Mayo is just eggs and oil whipped together. If you have an egg replacement, you could experiment from recipes. Maybe?

I'm wondering the same! If someone has a recipe, would you please forward over to me :D