This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

Green12 Enthusiast

I have had the biggest revelation today, learning about this gliadin issue. I'm just putting 2 and 2 together and now some things are making sense. Last week when I had "d" (and I never have "d" so I knew something was up) I had eaten Nature's Path Sunrise Mesa cereal the night before. It has amaranth flour in it! I don't really have all of these non-gluten, but gliadin containing grains very much, but my theory is even if you just have them a handful of times throughout the year you are still agitating your intestinal lining and not allowing it to heal, that's why I am going off dairy for good because I always stir things up even if I only eat it once in a while. Now I am thinking if we pay attention to the gliadin as well, it might make a big difference.

I just am so grateful for this thread because I learn so much from all of you :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerseyangel Proficient
That's looking to be more and more the case isn't it. Maybe after avoiding all gluten and all gliadin possible and start healing more things will be better. I mean, it would make sense that once healed we would be able to eat other foods (except gluten and gliadin) and not have so much or any of a reaction.

It would make sense that once our intestines heal (from being leaky) that we *should* be able to eat more freely--more of a "standard" gluten-free diet. That sounds pretty good to me right now :D

AndreaB Contributor
I had eaten Nature's Path Sunrise Mesa cereal the night before. It has amaranth flour in it!

I just am so grateful for this thread because I learn so much from all of you :)

Julie,

I bought this for my hubby. He's not even gluten intolerant and he's been bothered by the cereal. We haven't had an allergy test for him...I wonder. That makes cereal even tougher. He likes the nutty flax and it has a good amount of fiber. He's got to increase his fiber because of his fissure. Back to just corn...a lot of cereals also have soy oil which makes it difficult too. We are dairy free except for butter at this point and then I think we might make that plunge again.

I love this thread. :D

Yep, that's what I think.

Did you see my hubby's funny. He keeps asking if there's been a comment.

I'll repeat it for you...there is wikapedia and now there is celiapedia. :lol:

AndreaB Contributor
With all this new information and ideas, this is what I'm going to do:

1. Cut out ALL grain. (since it's so confussing)

2. Drink only grade A bottled water.

3. Allow myself potatoes every now and then. (So as not to overdo a nightshade)

4. Allow myself dairy.

I'm gonna do this for a few days and see how I feel.

(Need potatoes and dairy because of low weight)

This test will be interesting.

:lol: sorry, I seem to be missing some of the posts because this thread goes so fast :lol:

Tell him <bow> thank you Sir :lol:

Celia,

Can you eat avocados or nuts. Dairy could still cause you problems...personally if you have any malabsorpton (which I'm assuming you do) then I would leave off of the dairy until you are better.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Like sands through the hourglass these are the days of our lives here on the OMG thread....

Our story began long long ago with corn (oh how I long for the simple days of corn), and then msg and packaged/processed foods, somewhere in the middle there was a dramatic Bumble Bar intervention, a tropical storm, followed by cysts and ovary pain, and the shocking twist of alien babies, carbon water filters and now gluten's evil twin gliadin.

:lol::lol::lol:

Anyone can add what I left out.

:lol::lol:

Too funny!

I love this thread....you never know where it may go from one minute to the next.

I think I fell asleep for an hour or more. :huh:

I am sooo off all the grains now. What about rice though....it doesnt seem to bother me too much. :unsure:

AndreaB Contributor

Too funny!

I love this thread....you never know where it may go from one minute to the next.

I think I fell asleep for an hour or more. :huh:

I am sooo off all the grains now. What about rice though....it doesnt seem to bother me too much. :unsure:

Rice should be ok Rachel...of course if you go by mercola I think he is against rice also.

You needed the sleep, don't feel bad.

We're supposed to take stuff back...don't know if we are going today or tomorrow now. Kids are having fun in the kiddie pool and we are baby proofing since the little one is starting to get around a little more.

Celia,

My hubby says thank you. He has a definate sense of humor so if I'm relating anything to him from this thread and has a comment I'll add it. One more guy to the fray even if he's posting through me. :)

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Holy cow...we just reached over 2,000 posts. :o

And still....no balloon drop. Shheeesh. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor
Yeah but I miss ice cream :ph34r:

I'm not going to do rice, well at least for a few days.

We used to eat Freezee's nut cream which is good but has isolated soy protein in it as well as soy lecithin.

If you can eat bananas they do well as a sorbet...I add the enjoy life chocolate chips to that. We have a champion juicer that makes sorbet but you could probably blend it up in a blender or food processor. Freeze the bananas for a least 24 hours first. It's a good, healthy substitute.

jerseyangel Proficient

CONGRATULATIONS TO US ON OUR 2000 POSTS :D

Rachel--What I notice with grains, and this includes rice, is that I can get away with them once in a while. The last time I tried to incorporate them in more or less regularly, it caught up with me. When I heard you ate the rice cereal, the first thing I thought was, yep--it was fine this time, even soothing. But I bet if you try to eat it every day, you may start to get symptoms. Now, I say may, because there's no way to know for sure unless you test it out.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
CONGRATULATIONS TO US ON OUR 2000 POSTS :D

Rachel--What I notice with grains, and this includes rice, is that I can get away with them once in a while. The last time I tried to incorporate them in more or less regularly, it caught up with me. When I heard you ate the rice cereal, the first thing I thought was, yep--it was fine this time, even soothing. But I bet if you try to eat it every day, you may start to get symptoms. Now, I say may, because there's no way to know for sure unless you test it out.

Patti,

I've been eating rice a long time now. Only brown rice. I probably have some almost everyday. It could be holding me back? If I dont eat rice I dont know what i can eat to keep some weight on. I cant eat avocados, nuts, oils, potatoes, dairy, etc. I'll for sure go under 100 lbs. :(

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm excited! My husband and I are taking our bedroom apart as we speak! We're going to re-paint, get new drapes, bedding, etc--do the whole bedroom and bathroom over!! We've had the same yellow and blue theme for about 10 years now--very nice, but I'm just over it ;) I've been checking the computer every so often while going down the hall. Probably going to start painting tonight or tomorrow :P

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Andrea, Andrea, Andrea... do you not remember my banana fiasco and worshiping the porcelain God? :lol::lol:

LMAO

I remember....I remember!! <raising hands and jumping up and down>

Another one to add to the history of the OMG thread.....and the saga continues...

AndreaB Contributor
Andrea, Andrea, Andrea... do you not remember my banana fiasco and worshiping the porcelain God? :lol::lol:

Oops, I forgot didn't I. :blink:

VydorScope Proficient

Thats it! Ive decided we all need ot abstain from air! Its the only common ingredient we all use!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I'm excited! My husband and I are taking our bedroom apart as we speak! We're going to re-paint, get new drapes, bedding, etc--do the whole bedroom and bathroom over!! We've had the same yellow and blue theme for about 10 years now--very nice, but I'm just over it ;) I've been checking the computer every so often while going down the hall. Probably going to start painting tonight or tomorrow :P

Fun Fun Fun....I love doing stuff like that. Redecorating is so much fun. :D

I cant wait to do my bedroom. I was redoing one room per year before I got sick...since then the only thing I've done is my scrapbook area. I posted it on another thread....it was so much fun designing and building it. When we moved in we didnt buy new furniture. Seemed to me that a new house should have all new stuff too....thats what I was working on. I love IKEA and I did our media room with everything from IKEA. I love the way the room turned out. I cant do much now cuz of the medical issues and expenses. :(

AndreaB Contributor
Patti,

I've been eating rice a long time now. Only brown rice. I probably have some almost everyday. It could be holding me back? If I dont eat rice I dont know what i can eat to keep some weight on. I cant eat avocados, nuts, oils, potatoes, dairy, etc. I'll for sure go under 100 lbs. :(

Rachel,

Why don't you try cutting out all the gluten/gliadin and see what happens. How often can you have meat? Obviously, if you aren't having problems that are known with the rice you need to eat it. It also has good fiber. The medicine should help with any possible problems you may be experiencing with rice...and as you heal you should be able to eat more.

Celia,

You get the prize for the 2000th post.

:P:P:P

jerseyangel Proficient
Patti,

That's a tough question. To really test out the grain/rice theory, you'd need something else to fall back on. I'm lucky in that I can eat potatoes--but that's the only starch I can eat. Can you eat acorn and butternut squash? I think I remember you said you don't like spaghetti squash. Truthfully, I see a difference pretty quickly whan I stop eating something that's causing symptoms--like in a few days. Here's what happens with me and rice--I eat Cream of Rice--it tastes good, and I feel fine. I have some more rice at dinner, or something baked with rice flour. This goes on for a while, then I start to get D more often, cramping, generally not feeling well. It's like I have a limit somewhere (but I don't know when to stop). That's why I find it easier to skip it altogether. I'm rambling here--and not being much help :ph34r:

jerseyangel Proficient
Thats it! Ive decided we all need ot abstain from air! Its the only common ingredient we all use!

Unfortunately, you probably hit the nail on the head :D

AndreaB Contributor
Ohhh what's the prize? :D Can you make it good health? I'll take that :lol:

Here's to good health. :P

One day at a time everyone's health will improve. Is everybody with me on this one? :unsure:

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Patti and Celia,

Its so funny looking at your "issues" in your sigs now. :lol::lol:

I wonder how many people will be totally confused by your "phobias"?? :P

jerseyangel Proficient

One day at a time everyone's health will improve. Is everybody with me on this one? :unsure:

With ya all the way!!! :D

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Wouldnt that be awesome if each and every one of us totally recovered!!!

It might not be until after page 500,000 but still....it could happen for all of us! :D

Camille'sBigSister Newbie

Can it be true? I'm actually caught up on this string? :lol: I'll try to be brief.

evia: Congratulations to you and your husband on your 60th! Good show!

Water: I used to drink Crystal Springs, until it began to taste of metal. Switched to Aquafina, but will now start buying Poland Springs. I use bottled water in cooking as well. I'll contact Jim the Water Man, and thanks, Andrea, for that tip.

Celia: I refreshed and got your new avatar. You're beautiful! I'm going to have my son-in-law perform Lord-knows-what on his computer to get the right sized picture of me; then I'll tackle the avatar thingy.

Robbin: Where to find gluten-free oats? I miss my porridge!

Rachel: Have you tried Cream of Buckwheat? I bought a box at my health food store, but haven't tried it yet. It says wheat and gluten free on the box. Does anyone know anything about buckwheat?

Also, Rachel, thanks to you I now know the hidden names of MSG!!! You can't believe what a help that has been, because I react violently to the stuff! Thank you!!!

Let's see, is that all? No, there's something else . . . . Oh, yeah.

Susan: You are NOT freaky, unless I am too! I hate heat and I adore rain!!! I get sooo depressed every summer here in the south; and every year I swear that my next summer will be spent in England, Scotland, or Wales. Want to go with me?

Another thing, Susan; I have an unmarried cousin who's a rock climber. He's sort of a free-thinking, leftover hippy, except he cleans up after himself, and he's very organized. He's never been married, but recently told me he hasn't given up on having a wife and family. I love him dearly! He's only about 2 1/2 years older than my eldest son, which makes him about 55-56. He owns a house in Oak Ridge, TN, where it's often foggy, and rains and snows more often than it does here! Forgive me; I've never tried my hand at match-making, and guess I shouldn't now. But I will combine my prayers with Robbin's.

About Rosemary's Baby, wasn't it Mia Farrow who played Rosemary?

Guess I'll see how many pages I've missed while typing this! :lol:

Cissie

AndreaB Contributor
Can it be true? I'm actually caught up on this string? :lol: I'll try to be brief.

I'll contact Jim the Water Man, and thanks, Andrea, for that tip.

Robbin: Where to find gluten-free oats? I miss my porridge!

Rachel: Have you tried Cream of Buckwheat? I bought a box at my health food store, but haven't tried it yet. It says wheat and gluten free on the box. Does anyone know anything about buckwheat?

Congratulations on catching up Cissie and you're welcome about the water man.

I bought gluten free oats at the gluten free store in Vancouver Washington which wouldn't help you at all. They have some online I believe.

Buckwheat is supposed to be ok for us to eat.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Gosh I need a break from packing (because I've done lots of stuff today so far - besides pack :rolleyes: )

So I guess that article I posted caused some confusion :lol: I'm confused about it too. There's an ask Dr. Kalish section of that website:

Open Original Shared Link

I wonder if he would respond if we asked him to clarify.

Celia -

Do they sell raw dairy in Florida? It's known to be more nutritious than pasteurized/homogenized dairy, and much easier to digest. Basically when dairy is pasteurized it becomes and dead food and lacks the neccessary enzymes that help with digestion. Ooh - and I'm reading right now that homogenization makes the fat globules smaller, which results in altered digestion. It says the smaller globules are particularly a problem if you have leaky gut. Maybe raw dairy would be an option if you keep dairy in your diet. Here's some info:

Open Original Shared Link (hopefully that website doesn't say somewhere that's celiacs should eat quinoa LOL)

Oh and that Mesa Sunrise stuff makes me SICK too! I seem to get reactions from amaranth and buckwheat and I'm unsure about quinoa. I thought quinoa was technically a seed, but I could be wrong :unsure::unsure:

Archived