This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Substitute For Condensed Tomato Soup

pmccall4495

pmccall4495 Newbie

My husband's favorite chili recipe calls for a can of condensed tomato soup. What is the closest gluten-free alternative?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ArtGirl Enthusiast

You could use tomato paste and dilute it with water to the consistency you need. You might want to add some onion and/or garlic powder which I think is in the condensed soups.

gfp Enthusiast
My husband's favorite chili recipe calls for a can of condensed tomato soup. What is the closest gluten-free alternative?

1 lb. home canned or tin canned whole tomatoes

2 cups milk (optional)

2 Tbls butter or margarine (dairy up to you)

1/8 tsp gluten-free baking soda

salt and pepper to taste

You can add a pinch or two of celery salt ... stick in a blender and ....

Oh... and it's also a nice soup

You can make an authetic Campbells by obtaining some GM tomatoes, soy and corn syrup

Campbells received 13 permits from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to field test genetically engineered tomatoes

but personally I prefer not :D

A really cheap trick I use is I have a little camera on my palm pilot and take pics of the labels on stuff (you can just note em down) and then you can recreate the same thing at home....

GFBetsy Rookie

gfp -

You once posted the ingredients list from a spaghetti sauce can (or something similar). My question is: Do the ingredients lists in Europe always list the percentage composition? Labels in the US don't, which is why I ask. Just curious :D !

gfp Enthusiast
gfp -

You once posted the ingredients list from a spaghetti sauce can (or something similar). My question is: Do the ingredients lists in Europe always list the percentage composition? Labels in the US don't, which is why I ask. Just curious :D !

No but you can often work them out....

For instance tomato soup has X g. of fat and the fat is pretty much only going to come from butter/margerine or oil...

The protein g you can assign to the milk....

Just use 3kCal/g for protein and carbohydrates and 9 for fats...

1/8 tsp gluten-free baking soda ??? just a guess...

if you are in any doubt you can just google a recipe and then this gives you a great guide... to amounts and then experiment with undisclosed herbs or spices...

so you can get the basic ingredients from the can and then google and when you find a similar recipee...(using the same basic ingredients) you can use those as the proportions...

edit

Sorry forgot to mention... I just posted the basic neapolitan and bolgnese sauce recipes... since this is what Ragu are copying anyway.... but lets face it we have to read every darned tin anyway....and even when we do we still face risks so I always read the label with an eye to "hmm.. can i make this myself"..

hez Enthusiast

Amy's also make a tomato soup, but it is not condensed. I recently tried the Pacific Foods? tomato soup and really liked it. Again it is not condensed.

Hez

GFBetsy Rookie
. . .

if you are in any doubt you can just google a recipe and then this gives you a great guide... to amounts and then experiment with undisclosed herbs or spices...

so you can get the basic ingredients from the can and then google and when you find a similar recipee...(using the same basic ingredients) you can use those as the proportions...

edit

Sorry forgot to mention... I just posted the basic neapolitan and bolgnese sauce recipes... since this is what Ragu are copying anyway.... but lets face it we have to read every darned tin anyway....and even when we do we still face risks so I always read the label with an eye to "hmm.. can i make this myself"..

Yeah . . . having grown up in a home where my mother cooked all the time, it often shocks me how intimidated some people are by the idea of cooking. I always say that Campbell's has done one of the best con jobs ever by convincing people that "real soup" actually comes from a can! I mostly stopped cooking while pregnant with my twins (it's one of them that has celiac, so gluten-free wasn't an issue at the time) and pretty soon ALL fast food tasted exactly the same - tacos tasted like hamburgers, etc. I got to a point where I just ate because I needed to . . . none of it tasted good. After they were born and I started cooking again, I was AMAZED at how GOOD everything tasted - and how distinct the flavors were. I suppose it was the lack of MSG. But I've decided that the next time I get pregnant I'm going to pre-make and freeze an awful lot of food so that we can eat real food the whole time . . . because I don't think I coud eat fast food like that again!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

I like Imagine Foods tomato soup in the aseptic package. It isn't condensed, but it's too strong to eat without diluting, so it might work.

mamaw Community Regular

Heinz UK sold in the US has one, red label, black lettering. I like Amy's the beast so far or make my own..

• 3 years later...
homemaker Enthusiast

I have a recipe for condensed tomato soup...this recipe makes about 2 cans...it is thick just like campbells condensed tomato soup.

I use it in recipes alot....

Condensed Tomato Soup

2 cups Water

4T Corn Starch

3T Butter

2 small cans tomato Paste gluten-free

Season with salt and pepper

In a small saucepan, whisk water and cornstarch till well blended

Heat to a boil till thickened...stirring with a whisk constantly

Stir in Butter and Tomato Paste and blend with whisk well

It should come out nice and thick to use in recipes that call for condensed tomato soup

I make it up the day before if I know that I am making something that requires Condensed Tomato Soup

Enjoy!

lpellegr Collaborator

Heinz tomato soup tastes just like Campbell's but is made with rice flour instead of wheat flour. I can't remember if it's condensed, but it's good!

larry mac Enthusiast

Although I grew up on canned chili, for at least 15 years now I've only made homemade chili. I use tomato sauce (I always thought it was basically thinner tomato puree).

Sometimes to give it a little more "texture", I'll use canned diced tomatos, and use my immersion blender to blend them just this side of tomato sauce.

best regards, lm

BTW, this thread is 3 years old.

Chattyaholic Rookie
BTW, this thread is 3 years old.

Even though it is 3 years old I'm glad to have found it, I got some good information from it. And copied the tomato soup recipe.

• 3 months later...
RonJr Newbie

I have a recipe for condensed tomato soup...this recipe makes about 2 cans...it is thick just like campbells condensed tomato soup.

I use it in recipes alot....

Condensed Tomato Soup

2 cups Water

4T Corn Starch

3T Butter

2 small cans tomato Paste gluten-free

Season with salt and pepper

In a small saucepan, whisk water and cornstarch till well blended

Heat to a boil till thickened...stirring with a whisk constantly

Stir in Butter and Tomato Paste and blend with whisk well

It should come out nice and thick to use in recipes that call for condensed tomato soup

I make it up the day before if I know that I am making something that requires Condensed Tomato Soup

Enjoy!

This is great, thanks! I just wanted to point out that the stuff in the red and white can contains more than 2 tablespoons (30g) of sugar (HFCS)! So, if you want the recipe to taste "like it used to", that's probably the missing ingredient.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I just use an 8-oz can of tomato sauce and about a quarter cup of cream, sour cream, or half-and-half. Depending on the recipe, I throw in some garlic powder or dill or parsley or whatever. If it needs thickening, I add some cornstarch or gluten-free flour somewhere else in the recipe--but it usually doesn't seem to need thickening, which is surprising, because it does start out thinner than condensed tomato soup.

teacherkd Apprentice

This is easy.

1 T. butter

1 1/2 T. [that's 4 1/2 tsp.] cornstarch

1 c. plus 2 T. milk

2 T. tomato sauce.

melt the butter over medium heat. When it begins to foam, add cornstarch and blend well to form a thin paste. Let cook 30-60 seconds (this should be rather foamy). Drizzle in the milk while whisking. Heat until thickened [do NOT let this boil], stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in tomato sauce. This replaces 1 can of tomato soup, though you'll need to add extra salt to your recipe to make up for this not having any.

Archived