This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fourty Something Women

Guest Floridian

AndreaB Contributor

Susan,

Positivitey will get you everywhere. Please don't put yourself down. Anyone worth their weight will appreciate you and be attracted to you because of who you are, not what you aren't in your own eyes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DingoGirl Enthusiast
Susan, you will like this. My dad is very wealthy, lives in a VERY large house on the water in Florida, and was fixed up with a woman by a friend. She called him before the date and cancelled because she just couldn't bring herself to go out with another man who didn't have a job!!! :lol::lol::lol: Dad just said that he understood. :lol::lol:

CArla - is your dad still single? :lol::lol::lol: oh and remember, I'M not a writer, I just occasionally work for one. And....I dont' produce enough as an artist/jewlery maker - - if they start questioning me (WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY?" :angry: ) that will be the end and I"ll never talk to the guy again. Assuming I had a really bad day and didn't get much done.....I just can't deal wtih that!

Susan,

Positivitey will get you everywhere. Please don't put yourself down. Anyone worth their weight will appreciate you and be attracted to you because of who you are, not what you aren't in your own eyes.

Andrea - sniff - almost made me cry. But it is true, attitude makes SUCH a difference.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Yea, he's still single ... you'd have to want an independent sugar-daddy who likes to travel, but likes his time alone and is set in his ways. You'd also have to like Florida, and accept the fact that you will always be second to his dog. If you like Jack Nicholson's character in As Good As it Gets, you'd love my dad! :P But I don't think you'll have to settle for some 70 year old rich guy!! Andrea's right ... listen to her. You are your biggest critic. If they ask what you did today, ask him what he did today. If he brings the question back to you, just say your health still has its ups and downs and today was a down. You're healing, healing takes energy, so you rested to heal. You look forward to when you don't have to do this as often. If this bothers him, he's not worth your time. Besides, going out to dinner with a guy once in a while is the idea right now. Get back out there and build up your confidence again. This disease can shake up confidence, I've seen it in myself.

TriticusToxicum Explorer
Yes, they did buy me drinks the last two weekends I went to my niece's pub (well not her pub but she bartends there).....oh and later found out one of these guys is BEYOND unsavory from something he did to a friend of mine when she was 16- - - -- I will not divulge the details......but next time I see him am going to give him a big piece of my mind :angry:

Hey Crazy, what WAS that Japanese video? I don't have the patience :P

Oh, here's a question for our lone male (or anybody else because this issue is HUGE For me and I need input).....one of the reasons I don't date is because I don't really think that a guy will date a girl who is unemployed. In fact, that is the reason I stay in seclusion and am only around trusted friends and family, who know my story and my challenges. So....I have some good answers for that dreaded "so what do you do?" question.....("I was in retail management and am now on a sort of sabbatical, working as an artist and also working for a writer.") this answer is true and satisfying for people.....but, it's a heartache for me, because I still am on disability, and not earning enough income, not able to work full-time/pull my weight, and my brain is mush, and there are days that I feel trampled and run over by a semi-truck....so, WHO would date me, after scrutinizing my life at any length? Other than that UPS guy who needs to bleach his teeth? :lol: So that's why I hide out....don't want to explain my story and don't want to be judged. :(

gotta go try to get some grass now. no, not the kind you smoke. ;)

It's more satisfying if you give those "unsavory sorts" a piece of your boot instead your mind. They get the point quicker.

Yes it was in Japanese. They always seem to have a better way of doing things...now if we could only get them to speak English...

I'm glad you're getting out.

I don't think you should put so much pressure on yourself. Outside of the random gold-diggers out there i don't think there are many men who really care what a woman does for a living. When I was single and (oh so suave) I was just happy to meet a girl with a sense of humor and similar interests. Remember it's not like you are signing a long term deal here. You seem like a really witty and personable individual who knows how to have fun (albeit reckless at times - poison oak rubbing, donut eating, asking ME for dating advice! :huh: ). Those guys buying you drinks are probably getting high fives from their buddys afterwards. Probably 90% of the men out there are happy if you even spend 2 mins listening to their lame lines before you walk away.

I wouldn't worry about having to explain yourself to anybody. Are you less smart, less funny, less beautiful just because you don't have a job? I highly doubt that. We all have our days...and humor can go a long way towards making those days bearable. YOU ARE FUNNY :) Any man that really truly wants to be part of your life will accept you and all that you bring, without reservation. Anybody who is going to judge your worth based solely on your wealth gets kicked to the curb. I think you just need to take the plunge and see for yourself. Sure there are idiots out there, but there are also good people out there who can see past the superficial things and see what a catch you really are.

Live life as an exclamation, not an explanation. :)

okay?

Gotta go now, Jennifer Anniston is on the other line and needs some advice ;)

CarlaB Enthusiast

Wait, are you the Richard that normally posts here? That was waaay more serious than we normally get from you!!!

Great advice.

TriticusToxicum Explorer
Wait, are you the Richard that normally posts here? That was waaay more serious than we normally get from you!!!

Great advice.

Does my Avatar convince you?

CarlaB Enthusiast

Well, yes, but I thought maybe someone else was posting while you were away from your computer. My husband had friends in college who used to light their "gas" on fire. I think one of them actually burnt himself. They were a classy bunch.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Great advice.

:lol::lol::lol: Yes, great advice, I have things to say and comments but must save until later.....

Does my Avatar convince you?

:lol::lol::lol: I now crown you - - - King Goofball ;)

TriticusToxicum Explorer
Well, yes, but I thought maybe someone else was posting while you were away from your computer. My husband had friends in college who used to light their "gas" on fire. I think one of them actually burnt himself. They were a classy bunch.

I can't say that I've never tried that :) (It burns green BTW) :ph34r:

jerseyangel Proficient
I wouldn't worry about having to explain yourself to anybody. Are you less smart, less funny, less beautiful just because you don't have a job? I highly doubt that. We all have our days...and humor can go a long way towards making those days bearable. YOU ARE FUNNY :) Any man that really truly wants to be part of your life will accept you and all that you bring, without reservation. Anybody who is going to judge your worth based solely on your wealth gets kicked to the curb. I think you just need to take the plunge and see for yourself. Sure there are idiots out there, but there are also good people out there who can see past the superficial things and see what a catch you really are.

Richard--

I know you meant this for Susan, but it was just what I needed to hear today. Someone asked me what I did today, and I felt I had to explain why I don't "work". About 1/2 way through, I was thinking to myself, this is probably more than they really wanted to know!

I know it's easier for me because I have a husband who makes enough so I don't have to work anyway. But I enjoyed what I did and got a lot of satisfaction from it. BUT, I also get satisfaction from being home and doing what I do here. See, there I go explaining myself again :ph34r:

Anyway, Susan--listen to Richard and everyone else--they're right :D

TriticusToxicum Explorer
Anyway, Susan--listen to Richard and everyone else--they're right :D

Be proud that you are smart enough to listen to your body and take care of yourself. Right on!

Excuse me, but did you use my name, and "RIGHT" in the same sentence? :huh: I didn't think the ladies were allowed to say things like that! :o

BTW - I posted a "LOST" whole epi. spoiler on the lost-aholics thread if you are interested and weak of will like me :)

dlp252 Apprentice
Excuse me, but did you use my name, and "RIGHT" in the same sentence? :huh: I didn't think the ladies were allowed to say things like that! :o

I think it's only the wives of the men that are NOT allowed, lol.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
Okay, I was in BAND, I DO NOT know all the groups and guitar players very well, though I listen to almost any music as long as it's not on my 16 year old son's ipod, not rap, and not country. So, WHO is that in your avatar, Richard?

Bev, that's exacty what happened!! I'll say now that he's just some guy that I picked up at a frat party and he's been following me around ever since! Adam says it wouldn't be nearly as funny if it weren't TRUE!! He actually picked me out of the crowd and came over and introduced himself.

And -- YOU WERE A CHEERLEADER!!!!! :lol::lol::lol: Never would have guessed that in a million years!!!!!

Speaking of band, must go cook dinner, I'm STILL a band geek and have band tonight. My first time with the band where we've moved to!!

CarlaB, this is for you (and anyone else who might be interested)--it's the sheet music for Mr. Tumnus' lullaby from the movie, "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe." I bet it would sound just amazing on the flute....

Open Original Shared Link

jerseyangel Proficient
Excuse me, but did you use my name, and "RIGHT" in the same sentence?

Yes, I did--but don't get too used to it :lol:

TriticusToxicum Explorer
Yes, I did--but don't get too used to it :lol:

Now THAT I'm used to! :P

CarlaB Enthusiast
CarlaB, this is for you (and anyone else who might be interested)--it's the sheet music for Mr. Tumnus' lullaby from the movie, "The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe." I bet it would sound just amazing on the flute....

Open Original Shared Link

Very cool. I'll have to print that. Thank you.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

okay?

did you make that up? dang that is good.....

AndreaB Contributor

Susan,

Sounds great! Sod and job. :D

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Susan,

Sounds great! Sod and job. :D

Now if our resident goofball can just send one of his guys over to LAY the sod....and please, NOT Phhhhhabio or that greasy-looking Jose Canseco...... ;)

Lisa Mentor
That's right - that's why you and I have a special bond - you got married on the day I was born, April 20, 1963!

Hugs.

Karen

KAREN, shut up :angry::P

CarlaB Enthusiast

Susan, great news on the possible job!

Green12 Enthusiast
gotta go try to get some grass now. no, not the kind you smoke. ;)

:lol:

In fact, that is the reason I stay in seclusion and am only around trusted friends and family, who know my story and my challenges. So....I have some good answers for that dreaded "so what do you do?" question.....("I was in retail management and am now on a sort of sabbatical, working as an artist and also working for a writer.") this answer is true and satisfying for people.....but, it's a heartache for me, because I still am on disability, and not earning enough income, not able to work full-time/pull my weight, and my brain is mush, and there are days that I feel trampled and run over by a semi-truck....so, WHO would date me, after scrutinizing my life at any length? Other than that UPS guy who needs to bleach his teeth? :lol: So that's why I hide out....don't want to explain my story and don't want to be judged. :(

OMG, I completely feel the same way, stuck in what feels like the same prison............Where is the teary emoticon? Feeling emotional today.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
:lol:

OMG, I completely feel the same way, stuck in what feels like the same prison............Where is the teary emoticon? Feeling emotional today.

JULIE OMG - - - you? oh, so sorry, friend. I would never guess it, you are always so sweet, perky, and encouraging of everyone. I guess we all have our days....too bad we are not all closer and could sit and cry and laugh and lean on each other over some yummy tea and DONUTS. gluten-free, of course. ;)

Feel better.....sending a big cyber hug and a cyber donut (that is harder, the Willy Wonka style method).

TriticusToxicum Explorer
Now if our resident goofball can just send one of his guys over to LAY the sod....and please, NOT Phhhhhabio or that greasy-looking Jose Canseco...... ;)

Picky, Picky, Picky...

She doesn't like Fabio, Or Steven Segal, Or Gary Busey, Not even Jose Canseco...The UPS guy's teeth are to much like his uniform...I would come do it myself, except that I live thousands of miles away, and I would probably be TOO FUNNY! :P

I'm sending over a whole bunch of fellows...

http://www.cnn.com/US/9908/09/american.lawn/landscaper.webp

http://gallery.hd.org/_tn/std/natural-scie...bbits-2-DHD.webp

http://www.thewisegroup.co.uk/PICS/Landscape2.webp

http://www.standrewsgardencentre.co.uk/ima...landscaper2.webp

http://www.goldeneagledist.com/restricted/landscaper.webp

http://wolfraths.com/home_graphics/landscaper_top.webp (this guy scares me...Too happy)

Make some lemonade and pull up your lawn chair :)

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Richard: Tell me about your picture, it's way too funny! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Archived