This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Fourty Something Women

Guest Floridian

jerseyangel Proficient
Yes, that would be fine :lol::lol: ... I'd stay away from bleach though ... very hard to grow out while you're bleaching, trust me! From what my stylist tells me, color won't lift color, but color will lift natural color (if I understand correctly). I feel like it's been FOREVER to grow mine out. It seems stuck at this length.

I'm just getting to the point where I have to do SOMETHING! :lol: I blew dry the other day, and it really has grown a bit--thanks to you B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CarlaB Enthusiast
I'm just getting to the point where I have to do SOMETHING! :lol: I blew dry the other day, and it really has grown a bit--thanks to you B)

I'll keep nagging you to not cut it as long as you want me to!

dlp252 Apprentice
bead store....come on girls, have I taught you nothign?? those are for EMERGENCIES only...they have a four- to eight-time markup....you can get MOUNTAINS of pearl strands for as little as $3 or even $! (really crappy ones) at gem and bead shows...and they sell them for $15 or $20 at the bead stores - - talk about HERESY!!! And there are a couple of great catalogs that are almost wholesale, also ebay is wonderful for gemstones and findings (clasps, etc)....you must NEVER shop at a bead store! :o I also have lots of great websites if anyone (Donna?) needs materials...some great ebay sellers...and get this - was watching an item on ebay, some onyx nuggets, they sold for $32. What people don't know is that in that same seller's REGULAR store, those same nuggets are selling for $16 a strand, so I got two for the price of one - but bidders don't know that they have a store! crazy.....

Just put in a HUGE order at Firemountain! :ph34r:

Hope you're hair is having a great time, lol.

happygirl Collaborator

Susan- Oh my gosh. You poor thing. YOUR POOR HAIR. Waiting anxiously to hear about it. I had a hair disaster a few months before my wedding. Yes I said wedding. Talk about sheer panic, so I can completely sympathize. Can't wait to hear about it!

So today was my last day of work at my "old" job. Cried. So sad to leave some of my friends! They have helped me through so much (I have/am sick for the past 6 months or so with unresolved issues)...I will always be grateful to them. I'm excited to go, but sad to leave.

Write us bout the hair!

DingoGirl Enthusiast
You're all full of talk aren't you? .... and how many nuggets are left????? B) I live downtown in this small town (same block as the bakery LOL, and walking distance from Dominos) ... the bead store is two minutes away, walking .... you would definately commit heresy! :lol: Plus, I've never been in there ....

Good luck, Susan!

:lol::lol: yes, full of talk....but get this, I STILl have nuggets left, and it's day three! quite proud of self :rolleyes: Yes - if it were that close - - I would go in, but JUST to steal the occasional idea :ph34r:

Just put in a HUGE order at Firemountain! :ph34r:

Donna - - I'm like a proud momma! good for you....don't forget to go to the next gem and bead show at the Expo Cento in San Mateo (november or December) - holy Lord - - I don't know if you've been, it's unbelievable!

my hair....dang that was expensive....she, um, was a little appalled at the "cut" of my hair (I do it myself :ph34r: ) and insisted on putting in some layers...it's a little shorter than I wanted, but my hair looks pretty fabulous - dark with natural looking highlights. I will have her color it again, maybe, it's SO much better, I just don't want the expense. :angry: It is silky and shiny and I stared in fascination as she put the very few and subtle foils in....um, it wasn't exactly like that here, folks...... :lol::lol::lol: It really is an art form - I'll leave it to the experts from now on.....

Laura - a hair debacle BEFORE the wedding??? that definitely soudns like something I'd do....anywho sad you're leaving, but, onto something bigger and better! how are you feeling today?

Patti - - listen to CArla - don't cut it! don't! highlights - a major pain!

AndreaB Contributor

Susan,

Glad to hear your hair looks fab. Do we get a new picture???????

Take one and put it up. :D

CarlaB Enthusiast

I want to see a new pic Susan!!!

Patti knows what she's getting into with highlights, just don't do them yourself!!! I have fun with color, but I warned hubby when HE asked me to start coloring that it would cost him BIG!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rikki Tikki Explorer

I just got highlights in my hair too! I look a little like a pumpkin :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Well??? Where are the pictures?????

happygirl Collaborator

And the crowd goes wild..."New Pic, New Pic, New Pic"

Don't leave us in suspense, Susan! Happy to hear it has worked out. My aunt lives in CO and is really into beading. She teaches every so often at conventions and such. She has her own line of beading note/greeting cards.

Patti-so what are you thinking of doing to your hair!

Cold is still in full force...and I'm not taking any medicines at ALL, because I'm reacting to everything. Suffering through this with no meds is 100% torture. But, I can't risk getting sick on top of the cold!

Some of you know that over the past six months my health/quality of life has declined suddenly and rather dramatically. I've had a ton of tests, procedues (colonoscopy, small bowel follow through, endoscopy/biopsies, bacterial overgrowth)---all to come up negative. Tomorrow I have one last test before I head north. Gallbladder ultrasound in the AM. Keep your fingers crossed (for what, I don't know....I'm in that weird position....don't want "something" but want to "know" what is going on)

Lisa Mentor

Hey Girls:

Just checkin in when I find a computer. Today, we drove from Northern Maine (about 70 miles from the Canadian Boarder) to...........Salisbury, Maryland. And You ask, "Have you lost your frikkin mind?", huh, yeah. :blink: OHMG, I can tell you stories about the Jersy Turnpike :( , but, I will be glad to get back home, where life is slow. :)

Last round of the trip and we are doing to take it easy from now. We will take our time and head home through the eastern shore of Maryland and into Virginia. I have yelled at Jim the whole trip," I want to buy apples", so he said, "you'll get your ******* apples, if I have to go into someones yard and shake the ******* tree myself."

Road trips with your hubby are SOOOOOOOOOOO much fun. :P:P

I will check up with the thread when I get home, or at least check in with the last five pages. :o

Hope everyone is well.

Take, later when we're home and laundry is done.

Lisa

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Some of you know that over the past six months my health/quality of life has declined suddenly and rather dramatically. I've had a ton of tests, procedues (colonoscopy, small bowel follow through, endoscopy/biopsies, bacterial overgrowth)---all to come up negative. Tomorrow I have one last test before I head north. Gallbladder ultrasound in the AM. Keep your fingers crossed (for what, I don't know....I'm in that weird position....don't want "something" but want to "know" what is going on)

Laura - do you ever read the "OMG I think I'm onto Something" monster of a thread? you sound like some of the people there....it's really really long, but so informative (esp. in the beginning, definitely start there - we, uh, got pretty wacky in the middle and now it's onto other things...) So sorry you're struggling so much....I don't really know your story and don't want to ask annoying questions (like, have you checked other intolerances, etc.)....hang in there....will add you to my prayer list!

a PHOTO....well, two things: one, I no longer have a working digital camera (but I think my mom's giving this for my b-day in two months) and TWO - - the dingos have trouble taking pictures, what with no opposable thumbs and all... :lol: (yeah, a new photo requires me to be at a friend's house or get friends with cameras over HERE - doesn't always happen and I never remember to say, oh, take my picture!! when at friends' houses)....patience girls, I will see what I can do....I think she cut it too short though :angry: and as the day goes on I am not as in love with it - and I was URGING her not to cut it too short....

am quite hungry and am considering eating a whole container of Trader Joe's rice pudding for dinner. :ph34r: harumph!

there are STILL nuggets in the bag....amazing..... ;)

happygirl Collaborator

Susan,

See my signature for all the million and one things that I have since cut out. It's a bland diet that I am living on right now. I'm extremely sensitive to even derivatives of these foods, plus many unidentified things. Maybe I'll check out the OMG thread.

Thanks, girl. I haven't posted much about it because its been so overwhelming...

Laura

DingoGirl Enthusiast

OOOOOOPS :ph34r: Yes, Laura, I have read your signature before....but had totally forgotten and obviously didn't look at it TODAY... :huh: But I am a bit of a dingbat, that is for sure! so sorry...you REALLY do sound like a lot of people on the OMG thread! oh I do hope you feel better soon, starting the new job and all.....

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Wow this thread got full fast! I'm no where near 40... I'm in my 50's but I feel 40!

That Rx cream that was talked about earlier is a type of retin A, it does help with wrinkles that are not deep however, wrinkles that are caused by dynamic function (i.e. movement) will soften up but they won't go away (unless you botox), because they are made by muscle movement and well unless you stop the movement you can't stop that wrinkling (like laugh lines around eyes, or that line you get between your eyebrows from scowling). In the USA Retin A requires a perscription but mostly any dermatologist will Rx it for you. Once you start using it you CAN'T go in the sun any more, it makes you highly sensitvie to sunburn.

I used it, I have thin, sensitive skin and it makes you peel for a few weeks, I couldn't tolerate it I was actually bleeding on my face it bothered my skin so much. So I guess I'll have to wrinkle (but ok I do botox so I'm holding it off as long as possible).

I love being my age... the last 5 years have been just excellent for me, some of the best of my entire life. I got divorced, found a wonderful boyfriend, made a new life for myself, figured out my gluten issues, my daughter and I relate in the very best way (she is 15). I've traveled and bought a fancy car! In 2 weeks I'm getting a huge built in new refrigerator!! (don't get me wrong there have been a lot of no so good things in my life too, but... I choose not to focus on them as much as possible).

Susan :P

Rikki Tikki Explorer

HMMM I have been thinking about botox. Those darn qrinkles are getting me. DO they do them around the eyes, what about the line things on the side of the mouth? B) Is it expensive?

nikki-uk Enthusiast
HMMM I ahve been thinking about botox. Those darn qrinkles are getting me. DO they do them around the eyes, what about the line things on the side of the mouth? B) Is it expensive?

Oh Tavi I would be too scared I'd end up looking frozen!! :blink:

Besides,the thought of them needles near my face makes my eyes water :blink:

SUSAN!!!-So glad you got your hair sorted-you can ditch the hat now! :lol:

I know what you mean about the cost though,- I mean I can do it for everyone else but I can't do my own,-I find it hard to justify spending that sort of money on myself when there's always something the kids need.

dlp252 Apprentice
Donna - - I'm like a proud momma! good for you....don't forget to go to the next gem and bead show at the Expo Cento in San Mateo (november or December) - holy Lord - - I don't know if you've been, it's unbelievable!

Yep, went to the one they just had a few weeks ago...my co-worker has a resale license so we even got to go into the "special" area in the back. Spent a whole bunch of money there too! :ph34r::lol: If the next one is during the first two weeks of December I can't go cuz I'll be cruising Panama, Panama-a {singing van halen song as I type}. Hey, I made 2.7 necklaces last night! Better than nuggets I tell you! (the .7 is one that is strung, but I think I want to get a bigger bead for the center, so no clasp yet...they created a monster when they showed me how to put a clasp on, lol)

Laura, definitely come and check us out at the OMG thread...we get silly at times, but interpersed there is a lot of good info for those of us trying to figure out why we still don't feel well even after being gluten free for some time. We're all trying to find the missing pieces of THAT puzzle.

Guest Robbin

:):) pixiegirl-Susan, You give me hope!!! I have considered botox, but I am like nikki-worried about the pain and expense--tell us more!! You look STUNNING by the way!!!

Donna, OMGosh, you have graduated to necklaces now??? Wow this addiction of yours has exploded!! Please, you and Susan-dingogirl, must have a jewelry show or catalog put together-this could be a new business venture. Maybe do home parties, like tupperware!!!! Next step--earrings!!

nikki-uk Enthusiast

ROBBIN!!! At last I can see you! :D

Great pic!!

Now we just need Susan to get someone to take her picture.....

:D:D

Guest Robbin

:) Thanks, nikki, it is just a little too dark! Susan must get a pic up, I want to see her new 'do!!

The Rach I am referring to in the avatar is a beautiful young girl who passed away this weekend from cancer and her mother requested that her friends wear purple today since it was her favorite color, so we are all wearing it to celebrate her life. :)

Tavi, did you ever get some kind of revenge on dboyfriend for that whole "giving you the virus" thing??? Hope you are all better from that one and cooking up some pay-backs, lol :lol:

dlp252 Apprentice
Donna, OMGosh, you have graduated to necklaces now??? Wow this addiction of yours has exploded!! Please, you and Susan-dingogirl, must have a jewelry show or catalog put together-this could be a new business venture. Maybe do home parties, like tupperware!!!! Next step--earrings!!

Can't say the thought of home parties hasn't crossed my mind, especially as they were laying people off here over the last few weeks, lol. Yes, truly it's an addiction!

CarlaB Enthusiast
Take, later when we're home and laundry is done.

I didn't know the laundry had to be done to get on the thread .... I'm in trouble ... where's Chloe, that's her job!!! :lol::lol:

and I was URGING her not to cut it too short....

there are STILL nuggets in the bag....amazing..... ;)

Then I would go someplace else next time. It's not about what the stylist wants ... her suggestions are appreciated, but in the end, it's what YOU want!

Good job on the nuggets, pat yourself on the back!

Wow this thread got full fast! I'm no where near 40... I'm in my 50's but I feel 40!

Susan, you may feel 40, but you look 30!!!!

Great to finally see you, Robbin!

happygirl Collaborator

Thanks, Donna. I got the strength to post my shortened "sob story" (as I jokingly refer to it as) on the OMG thread. Already have some responses. Thanks for the encouragement!

hope all you ladies are having a great day!

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Yep botox is expensive, but it really works, the most important part of botoxing is to find a really good injector... everyone does it but you need to find someone that is good with it. I get my done by a Plastic surgeon in boston and nothing is frozen on me. I can still raise my eyebrows and wrinkle my forehead... a bit. My dr. agrees that frozen looks totally fake so he's very skilled at reducing the wrinkles but leaving some movement in the areas I get it.

Susan

Archived