Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ReneCox

I Love Bananas

ok i have a serious addiction to bananas! I cannot stop eating them! they're just so good...especially grilled! sorry, I just had to say that!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

ReneCox, I love bananas too. But I have to limit to at least one a day as they are full of calories!.

Is your addiction causing you health problems? How many do you eat? I'm not sure whether ithey would be a problem unless you have a reaction to them health wise. The only problems I have with bananas is the price at times, like now they are $2.35 a kilo! How many in a kilo, probably 4 or five.

I must try a grilled one today.

Cathy

ok i have a serious addiction to bananas! I cannot stop eating them! they're just so good...especially grilled! sorry, I just had to say that!

LOL It's amazing after you get off the gluten what you actually crave hehe!! I am LOVING kiwi and necterines right now. I used to just eat them on and off before, but now (since I'm limited on foods) I eat them daily and love them mmmmmmmmmm!!

~~Angie~~

DX'd With Narcolepsy In 1995

Dx'ed With Celiac On 12-18-06

Positive Biopsy On 2-1-07

DX'd With Pernicious Anemia 4-24-07

Daughter Has DH, so I suspect she also has Celiac!!

"If Alcoholism was Celiac Disease they would make us drink ourselves into kidney failure before they would admit we had the disease"

I love bananas, too and eat at least one every day. My favorite way is to slice, add blueberries, sliced almonds and drizzle with maple syrup.

How do you grill them? That sounds good :P

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I bet I beat everyone on weird cravings and addictions! LoL...well, I totally understand how it feels to be limited on food, because I basically eat the same thing everyday...and because of that...im ADDICTED to japanese sweet potatoes! I get them weekly at whole foods and have to have one EVERY day...and when whole foods are out of them, I search all the health food stores in the county for them! LoL...they're amazing. Everyone should try them. NOT orange stringy yams...i dont like those really...they're JAPANESE sweet potatoes...yellow and creamy on the inside...YUM!

I like bananas too, but I can't have them because Im pretty sure they stop me up :( I'm kinda addicted to oranges though :) 2 a day. And 2 apples a day :)

Yes my cravings have changed greatly. I love bananas (only 79cents/pound for organic ones!). But I can't eat too many. I also eat TONS of broccoli. At least 3 heads/week. Sometimes double that!

Want a milkshake? No thanx, I'm steaming broccoli. Ha ha.

Broccoli and bananas! Yay!

Oh and how do you grill bananas?

I love bananas!!

I do watch what I eat because of everything gluten free being so high in calories.

My Sunday treat is a frozen banana pop. Trader joe's makes thm but I like making my own.

Just melt chocolate ( I add some ameretto or grand marnier), stick a popsicle stick in the banana, dip in chocolate and freeze. Man, I don't think I can wait till Sunday :huh:

France

I love bananas!!

I do watch what I eat because of everything gluten free being so high in calories.

My Sunday treat is a frozen banana pop. Trader joe's makes thm but I like making my own.

Just melt chocolate ( I add some ameretto or grand marnier), stick a popsicle stick in the banana, dip in chocolate and freeze. Man, I don't think I can wait till Sunday :huh:

Ooh yum! I'm gonna have to try that :P

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

ReneCox, I love bananas too. But I have to limit to at least one a day as they are full of calories!.

Is your addiction causing you health problems? How many do you eat? I'm not sure whether ithey would be a problem unless you have a reaction to them health wise. The only problems I have with bananas is the price at times, like now they are $2.35 a kilo! How many in a kilo, probably 4 or five.

I must try a grilled one today.

Cathy

OMG Cathy are bananas still expensive in your part of the world? When I first got to Australia they were $2.50 EACH :o . One day I went to buy a banana (and nothing else) and the cashier at the shop told me I shouldn't buy it. He said my purchase was going to be way too expensive. I totally thought he was joking. :lol: Come to think of it, that's probably why I'm broke right now...I ate too many banannas in OZ :lol:

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

Mango, you'll have to start saving again.

The bananas in Oz would've been expensive when you were there because a cyclone wiped out a lot of the crops in Queensland, and from what I gather they did not want to import bananas into Australia.

But we don't grow them here, and have to import them, probably anywhere but from Australia, but per kilo they are cheaper than locally produced fruit. We went up the road and freshly picked peaches were about $4.95 a kilo. So we splurged and grabbed 10 kilos for $20. I love peaches.

Cathy

I also love bananas with a little lactose free milk and a little sugar. yummy or just a plain banana.

I like apples only peeled ones. strawberrys with whip cream and maybe cheesecake from Philadelpia. with whip cream nightly for some reason ohhhh yaaaa :lol:

Diagnosed Celiac Sprue Disease August, 02, 2006

Blood test, No Biopsy

IgA off the scale 44 now 3

IgG 56

(tTG) IgA 25 now 2

(tTG) IgG 1 now 1

now border line low iron 10

Gluten Free since August, 02, 2007

Diagnosed with Osteoporosis November 2006

As of Jan 2007 all numbers looking good

As of Feb 2007 no more Pork, having Allergic reactions

Lactose Intolerence

Mango, you'll have to start saving again.

The bananas in Oz would've been expensive when you were there because a cyclone wiped out a lot of the crops in Queensland, and from what I gather they did not want to import bananas into Australia.

But we don't grow them here, and have to import them, probably anywhere but from Australia, but per kilo they are cheaper than locally produced fruit. We went up the road and freshly picked peaches were about $4.95 a kilo. So we splurged and grabbed 10 kilos for $20. I love peaches.

Cathy

I'm fairly sure that there is an agreement that that the government won't import bananas, when the cyclone went thru they decided to stick to it.

Bananas are the only fruit I actually enjoy eating and I just couldn't afford them when they were expensive. I did buy the ocassional one when they came down to about $6 but even that was expensive. In about the last month they have come down to about $2.00 a kilo wich is great, I can buy some now and still afford to eat for the rest of the week.

YAH! for cheap Nanas. :P

I love bananas, too and eat at least one every day. My favorite way is to slice, add blueberries, sliced almonds and drizzle with maple syrup.

How do you grill them? That sounds good :P

ja & Kc,

Wow! I never though of anything like that. I've never been much of a fruit eater. About the only fruit I get are the limes, lemons, and oranges I put in my margaritas. But when my doctor did all the blood work trying to find out what was wrong with me, he discovered I'm real low on potassium. So I started trying to eat a banana a day (plus taking potassium supplements, did you know you must have a prescription for those?). Plus, I'm trying to gain weight.

Must try some of these ideas! thanks. best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

I love them too, wish they weren't so high in calories..I try to eat only a couple a week

~Betty

Bananas are a godsend to coeliacs!!

Here are some banana facts!!! :)

It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

black_cat.gif

I bet I beat everyone on weird cravings and addictions! LoL...well, I totally understand how it feels to be limited on food, because I basically eat the same thing everyday...and because of that...im ADDICTED to japanese sweet potatoes! I get them weekly at whole foods and have to have one EVERY day...and when whole foods are out of them, I search all the health food stores in the county for them! LoL...they're amazing. Everyone should try them. NOT orange stringy yams...i dont like those really...they're JAPANESE sweet potatoes...yellow and creamy on the inside...YUM!

I like bananas too, but I can't have them because Im pretty sure they stop me up :( I'm kinda addicted to oranges though :) 2 a day. And 2 apples a day :)

how do you cook your sweet potatoes? i would love to try some :)

still curious as to how one goes about grilling a banana....w/ sugar maybe? or butter? do you mash it first?

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

I love Bananas too. I probably eat 4-5 a day. I am allergic to so many other fruits so Banana has pretty much taken their place.

One Celiac gene and one gluten intolerance gene (HLA-DQ 2,1).

Grain free, casein free, soy/legume free + a bunch of allergies I have had since I was a child (stone fruits, nuts..carrots)

Following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but no nuts, legumes or casein.

Bananas are a godsend to coeliacs!!

Here are some banana facts!!! :)

nu,

Thanks for the link, thats some great info!

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

If I was going to grill bananas I would sprinkle it with a little brown sugar and put it under the grill, on a low setting. Remember to keep watch on it tho coz ash doesnt taste good.

I was just watching the news and they were talking about foods to help you sleep, bananas were # 2 on the list

~Betty

My co-workers phillipino wife makes these delicious egg-roll type banana things. They're served warm & crunchy. Pretty darn good. lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI

My favourite is banana and peanut butter sandwich on Kinnikinnick sandwich bread :P

Shirley

[save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...

It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia