This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg.....

JerryK

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Ha--I just visited their site, too! I plan to place an order, probably for the hamburger buns, the cinnamon bread, and one of the white breads (haven't made up my mind yet).

Thanks sansglutengrl, and welcome! :)

I just ordered a mixed case of things from Chebe bread.com, I tried one of their mixes and I'm a loyal customer for life! And you save a lot online with them too if you order a bigger case that's not mixed, I just wanted to try everything! They use tapioca flour, they have pizza dough and bread mix and cinnamon mix and focaccia and just wow..... It's in a little red bag at a lot of health food stores if you want to try just one. And they're really fun to make too, you have to use your hands to knead the dough.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NoGluGirl Contributor

Does anyone know if any of these companies mentioned has yeast-free gluten free breads? I cannot have yeast either. I know there are some gluten free, yeast free cinnamon buns that are also low fat. I need to go back and check them out. It was either at the gluten free mall or the Gluten Free Market. I am pretty sure it was the last one.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

jerseyangel Proficient
Does anyone know if any of these companies mentioned has yeast-free gluten free breads? I cannot have yeast either. I know there are some gluten free, yeast free cinnamon buns that are also low fat. I need to go back and check them out. It was either at the gluten free mall or the Gluten Free Market. I am pretty sure it was the last one.

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Hi NoGluGirl :)

There is a great gluten-free cookbook--"The Gluten Free Kitchen" by Roben Ryberg.

In it, she uses potato and corn starches instead of grain flours. Her bread recipes include yeast, but she says that's only for taste, and all the recipes can be made without the yeast.

I've made the pizza crust, and the cinnamon bread, and they were both good.

The only ready-made yeast-free bread I've seen is from Ener-g.

JerryK Community Regular
Does anyone know if any of these companies mentioned has yeast-free gluten free breads? I cannot have yeast either. I know there are some gluten free, yeast free cinnamon buns that are also low fat. I Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

I'm going to make a smart a$$ed comment and say that a gluten-free, yeast free cinnamon "bun" sounds more like a ROCK than anything else. Personally I won't spend a lot of time looking :lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, it's what just popped out of my head this early in the morning. :P

VioletBlue Contributor
I have found that I really don't like Jillian's or Kinnikinnick at all, probably because I'm spoiled, but Glutino makes a truly righteous bagel and flax seed bread. So if you see those in the freezer department, go for it.

Margaret

I was pleasantly surprised when I bought some gluten-free frozen bagels at the Organic Store awhile back. I've taken to slicing them in three and toasting them rather than just in half because they're so dense. But the taste is pretty good. I'll keep an eye out for the flax seed bread.

violet

Jestgar Rising Star

I second the glutino flax bread and bagels.

You can make your own tapioca based bread buns, google 'brazillian cheese bread'.

I also use it for pizza crust.

marlykarly Rookie
Ener-g bread was about the only gluten free bread available 29 years ago. (The only way to eat is heated with lots of butter and maple syrup.) There were not the assortment of mixes available either when I went gluten free.

Isn't that the truth! that was our only choice for many years.. My oldest and I ate it every day!

Now I have tried just about every bread on the market.. and there are some wonderful choices.. and Delicious baked goods.. I should give up a few ;) it might help me knock off a few pounds!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear jerseyangel,

The Ener-G rice bread is the one I get when I can afford it. Our little health food store is the only one who carries it. I wish I had a toaster. I miss toasted bread. Sandwiches taste better toasted to me. I would love a big stacked club sandwich! This bread really just tastes like rice. That is definitely better than some of the others I have tasted! And those were the ones with the yeast!

The potato flour is what they use for the Lieber's gluten free cake mixes. They are great! I think one of the supermarkets nearby has it. I used a mix of soy and rice flour for my blueberry muffins, and they turned out well! I should make some of those again!

Dear JerryK,

I can never resist throwing a comment out like that when the opportunity strikes either! :lol: It just is not in my nature to hold back when I have a sarcastic remark. You must be a Sagittarian too. We cannot help ourselves. If we keep it all bottled up inside, we could explode! :P

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

pooter Newbie

you are really funny Jerry! thanks for the laugh.

I really like Pamela's Wheat Free bread mix, it's incredible in my opinion. For my daughter's sandwiches I get the EnerG Light Tapioca loaf. you have to microwave the slices for about 20 seconds or so to soften them, then make your sandwich, but she loves it. Texture of wonderbread to me.

CarlaB Enthusiast
The only ready-made yeast-free bread I've seen is from Ener-g.

I'm yeast-free, too. Kinnikinnick has two varieties of yeast-free bread.

NGG, spring for a toaster ... it's not much more expensive than a gluten-free loaf of bread!

NoGluGirl Contributor
I'm yeast-free, too. Kinnikinnick has two varieties of yeast-free bread.

NGG, spring for a toaster ... it's not much more expensive than a gluten-free loaf of bread!

Dear CarlaB,

Thanks for the bread info. I have been eating the Ener-G rice bread. The toaster is not doable unless my parents buy it. Right now, thanks to be defrauded, I have a -$115.70 in my account.

It is so depressing. I could use the oven, even though it will take longer. My parents probably will not buy even a cheap toaster, considering they do not even care to keep glutening me. How am I supposed to heal? I am paranoid careful, but still manage to be glutened. The other day, I told them I have not worn make-up in six months and need some gluten free make-up. They are like "We can't afford that!" It is amazing how Dad can afford to buy an $85 antique fountain pen, or that they could afford going out to eat and to the movies last night. That is just crap!

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

DebbieInCanada Rookie
Yes this summer, I've decided to forgo lawn and house maintenance in lieu of baking. I mean my wife always says I'm "just wandering around outside"

anyway, so why not just let it go? I mean why spend the only two hours of free time I have available to mow the lawn, when there are so many different types of gluten-free free bread to make?? (Is my sarcastic tone coming thru over the net?)

Jerry - I was at my local spring garden show this weekend, and I thought of you :D . They have a new product on display called "Synlawn" - it's synthetic turf, in various varieties and lengths. Hey, no more hours of mowing the lawn!! Just think of what you could do in your spare time...

Debbie

Mtndog Collaborator
Jerry - I was at my local spring garden show this weekend, and I thought of you :D . They have a new product on display called "Synlawn" - it's synthetic turf, in various varieties and lengths. Hey, no more hours of mowing the lawn!! Just think of what you could do in your spare time...

Debbie

He'd probably try to mow it anyway just to get out of baking :P

Jerry- I'm SO sorry that you had the EnerG bread encounter. It is truly frightening.

See if you can find yourself some Gillian's or Chebe. Yes- it (the Chebe) will have to be cooked but it's easy. No, really I swear, I would never lie to you. It's VERY VERY manly bread :rolleyes: I hear in Brazil the men believe that if they bake it, their wives think them alluringly macho. :P

Mango04 Enthusiast
See if you can find yourself some Gillian's or Chebe. Yes- it (the Chebe) will have to be cooked but it's easy. No, really I swear, I would never lie to you. It's VERY VERY manly bread :rolleyes: I hear in Brazil the men believe that if they bake it, their wives think them alluringly macho. :P

I too have heard that rumor about Brazilian men and their tapioca bread...

Don't they even make a frozen (and much more masculine) version of Chebe? I think if you get the frozen stuff all you have to do is open the package and heat it up. No stirring or mixing involved...

NoGluGirl Contributor
He'd probably try to mow it anyway just to get out of baking :P

Jerry- I'm SO sorry that you had the EnerG bread encounter. It is truly frightening.

Dear Mtndog,

I always knew those Brazilian guys seemed more attractive than others! Now I know why! :lol: Men who bake are very attractive! You don't see Todd English looking wimpy! Real men bake bread! :lol:

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

Mtndog Collaborator
I too have heard that rumor about Brazilian men and their tapioca bread...

Don't they even make a frozen (and much more masculine) version of Chebe? I think if you get the frozen stuff all you have to do is open the package and heat it up. No stirring or mixing involved...

Ay Arriba!!!!!!!!!!

Yes- Chebe is also sold frozen but baking is so masculine and Brazilian men baking....oo la la!

sfm Apprentice

LOL Jerry! You are so right, some of the bread is awful!

Do you have a Whole Foods near you? Their 'gluten free bakehouse' sandwich bread is pretty good. A little crumbly, but tasty.

I've had some decent gluten free english muffins - I can even get my little ones to eat those.

Good luck - I've definitely had my share of awful substitutes..

Sheryll

Kary Newbie
i got through the first bag of Ener-g by loading it up with pepperoni and cheese and grilling it in a mound of butter... then the second bag went in my hurricane preparedness kit, since it was good until about 2030. ;)

...for boarding up your windows?

:)

Kary Newbie

Sincerely,

NoGluGirl

The Cravings Place makes a yeast free mix, (gluten, potato, wheat, nut, egg, and dairy free too) Surprisingly not taste free. There are a bunch of recipes on the back to make different types of bread/muffins. The pumpkin was delicious. It's called Create your Own quick bread and muffin mix. They have a cinnamon crumble coffeecake that makes up great muffins. I use those for a quick breakfast on the go. Several people have mentioned Chebe. They have a Cinnamon Roll-up mix that is yeast, gluten, casein, lactose free. I haven't found anything pre-made that tasted halfway decent except Ener-g tapioca dinner rolls *improved* At least they realized improvement was needed.

Archived